• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon | Review Thread

What scores do you think Armored Core VI will get?

• 50-55%

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • 55-60%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 60-65%

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • 65-70%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 45 40.9%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 6 5.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Draugoth

Gold Member
CEu23Mb.jpg

Game Information​

Game Title: Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon

Platforms:
  • PC (Aug 24, 2023)
  • PlayStation 5 (Aug 25, 2023)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Aug 25, 2023)
  • Xbox One (Aug 25, 2023)
Trailers:
Developer: FromSoftware Inc.

Publisher: Bandai Namco Entertainment Inc.

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 86/100 - 95% Recommended

qOweqxl.png

MetaCritic - PC - 91/100 - 13 Reviews

mO3zXKB.png

MetaCritic - PS5 - 88/100 - 6 Reviews
VAASZZM.png

MetaCritic - Xbox Series - 76/100 - 5 Reviews

BjbxzSL.png

Critic Reviews​

Attack of the Fanboy - J.R. Waugh - 4 / 5
Years and several Soulslike games later, FromSoftware revisits another of its iconic franchises and mostly soars with awesome visuals and combat. While difficulty is always going to be a factor in these games, the sudden challenge spikes will alienate those who lack the patience for finding the right build.

Cerealkillerz - Gabriel Bogdan - German - 9 / 10
Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon is an absolutely successful return of a series that nearly got forgotten over the years. Even when you can lose track as newcomer over all the different fractions and mercenaries, or get lost with the camera in combination with a lot of explosive effects, making it hard to keep track of what is going on, the studio delivers one of its best experiences so far. If you are looking for a new kind of challenge or want to explore the world of Armored Core for the first time, you will definitely have killer fun with this new FromSoftware title.

Gamepressure - Krzysiek Kalwasiński - 9 / 10
FromSoftware has once again delivered and fulfilled my silent dreams. Armored Core 6: Fires of Rubicon is a brilliant game – and that's that. It's very addictive, extremely attractive, and – simply – worth recommending. Get into the cockpit and fight for freedom

GamesHub - Edmond Tran - 5 / 5
Armored Core 6 is an unsympathetic and cold-blooded game. It's a cup of bitter, black coffee – and thankfully, that suits my palate perfectly. It's full of moments that make you feel very powerful – in both effortless and hard-fought ways – and moments that make you very, very small. In the face of it all, you're pushed to overcome the impossible. And you'll come out on the other end wearing an exhausted, wry smile.

GamingTrend - Ron Burke - 90 / 100
White-knuckle brilliant Soulslike action, coupled with a movement style not seen in this genre for an entire generation, resurrects a blast from the past in a whole new way. If you are a fan of the genre, this game is pure punishing fun with all that implies. If not, it's unlikely to convert you. In either case, Armored Core VI: Fires of the Rubicon is a brilliant title that breaks the mold on the genre in a whole new way.

PowerUp! - Adam Mathew - 7.5 / 10
At the end of the evaluation, Armored Core VI may stand as the best at what it does in its particular arena, but that’s largely due to a lack of stiff competition. From could have assembled something truly S ranked here, but didn’t.

Press Start - James Mitchell - 9 / 10
Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon manages to succesfully bring back and cultivate an experience reminiscent of the old games for newer audiences without losing sight of what made the previous games so good. While it's still relentlessly challenging and the story can be a bit drab, Fires of Rubicon is yet another success for FromSoftware with it's satisfying and fast paced combat.

TechRaptor - Samuel Guglielmo - 8.5 / 10
Some occasional gameplay and story mishaps, and complicated controls, don't hold back Armored Core VI from being both an absolute blast to play and an extremely welcome return from this long-dormant franchise.

VG247 - Josh Broadwell - 3 / 5
Armored Core 6 is the essence of a soft reboot. It has the unenviable task of drawing newcomers to a niche, sometimes overly challenging series without changing too much of what made fans like it to begin with. The result is a mixed experience that, while it has some shining moments of brilliance, feels a bit loose and never plays to its strengths.

We Got This Covered - David Morgan - 4.5 / 5
Armored Core VI is like getting to put together your own giant Lego robot and sending it out to die before realizing you just needed to attach a few more missile launchers. Freedom in gameplay comes in many shapes and sizes, and the customization of your very own mechs suited to each mission is a niche yet thrilling experience. A thoughtful, intricately-woven story and amazing presentation sure don't hurt, either.

WellPlayed - James Wood - 9.5 / 10
Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon emerges ablaze with FromSoftware’s best impulses. Demanding and rewarding combat is bolstered by series signature customisation and player-driven storytelling to form a masterclass in design philosophy and raw fun.

XboxEra - Jesse Norris - 6.5 / 10
An odd return to what has been a mostly mediocre series. It fixes multiple issues, mainly control-wise from the past titles, without adding much else. It isn’t great to look at, and while it can be fun to play its poor balance as you progress kills any joy to be found after not too long.

Last edited:

Salz01

When do the reviews drop? Never mind sorry. Just saw it in the ot. 24 hrs from now.

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Animated GIF

83 - 86 I am going for, it looks very polished but I think it will be compared unfairly coming off the back of Elden Ring in terms of scope and vision. I think it looks very fun and am tempted to break my "no pre-order" rule when reviews drop tomorrow.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
85-90 is my guess. I think the Souls formula is starting to dry out a bit to be honest.

At least that's what I'm expecting this game to be: souls formula with mechs, could be wrong though.

Last edited:

Zheph

Scores depends if Bandai gives them a gimped difficulty like the reviews versions of Souls games (everything have less life and hit less stronger) imo

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
85-90 is my guess. I think the Souls formula is starting to dry out a bit to be honest.

At least that's what I'm expecting this game to be: souls formula with mechs, could be wrong though.
But souls from whom? imitators, copy cats? They give souls a bad name if it’s burning people out and I can’t imagine everyone playing a Souls game a gazillion times for that purpose. It’s the industry’s fault for cloning the formula. That’s just me rambling about it

I suspect it’ll do fine. The franchise deserves a solid entry with good game mechanics. From what I’ve seen they’ve made the boss fights difficult, which makes the game a lot more enjoyable if you ask me. Having it be piss easy or too arcade-like doesn’t help the Gundam franchise. They release quite a lot of Gundam games and they’re rarely talked about it seems. Recommend me a good Gundam game. There’s even games based on gunpla models.

Orbital2060

Im going to be highly suspicious of most reviewers on this, if its anything like Sekiro in toughness. The usual folks that review casual games might not be able to finish this. I hope some of the major sites have found some skilled veterans to play the game for review.

Saber

Gold Member
Risking a 85, with 90 at best.

Supecting it will fair fine, even though its not actually a franchise that popular. But it will totally delivers the mech experience.

Fbh

I'm expecting this to be closer to the 80's range.
It being by FROM will give it a boost but it's not the the type of game journos usually play and I expect even they will be affected by the "I thought this was going to be more like souls" effect.

Lupin25

85-90 (88…?)

Seems like a safe bet. These games used to get lower scores but from what I’ve seen of 6, FROM nailed it as well as they could with mechs this time around.

This will be my new fav “transformers” game

Last edited:

Lokaum D+

for a PS2 game i m 100% that ll Review very well, after all is a FromSoftware game

90-95

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I'm thinking it'll land at 85. If I'm a reviewer, an 85 is a safe bet to appease fans and not get steamrolled by the hype train, in addition to being what it looks like it would earn legitimately.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I have come to the conclusion that some people genuinely just compare everything to the best looking game currently available on any given platform. Anything that looks even slightly worse automatically gets demoted two or three generations.
I guess vey idiotic graphic whore logic that way beyond me.

Top Bottom