• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armored Samurai vs Siberian Tiger. No video lol

Who wins?

• Legendary Samurai swordsman

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • Battle tested Siberian tiger

Votes: 32 41.6%
  • Both die as a result of their wounds

Votes: 11 14.3%

• Total voters

Romulus

More ridiculousness. I was inspired by the other VS thread. Here's my spin

Legendary Katana master Samurai vs Siberian Tiger

Fighter #1
5'7" 150lbs
Veteran of Warring States period. Legendary samurai with over sixty kills and an instructor in katana swordsmanship. Considered the best swordsman by allies and enemies alike. 27 years old, healthy. He's fully armored and equipped with a Katana and 2 smaller blades

samurai-sword-set.jpg

VS

Fighter #2
700lbs wild Siberian Tiger
He's in the prime of his life and defended his territory against other males for 3 years. He's aggressive and remains undefeated, even killed 2 other rival males

siberian-tiger-in-snow-brian-tarr.jpg

Background. The Tiger has escaped from Russian traders in Japan and has since killed two people in a nearby village close to the legendary samurai. The samurai tracks the beast down, but is surprised and forced to draw his sword as the tiger charges from 20 meters away. Flat ground with solid footing. No cover. Who wins?

Last edited:

Romulus

I voted Tiger, but barely.

I think the expert swordsman part is something. Big difference between a regular samurai. If that Katana touches a paw or any part of the limb with a moderate degree of force, it's gone. Lopped completely off. Then balance goes to zero and blood loss is massive and immediate. The sharpness of the blade is insane and they're known to focus on speed, precision, and timing as an art.

Maybe a combat veteran version of this guy:

Not only that the Samura is armored.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
If the tiger attacks the Samurai from stealth its likely no contest.
If it attacks head on and the samurai is able to attack with the sword i assume he can cut into the tiger’s head like he cuts any other enemy.

Last edited:

Romulus

If the tiger attacks the Samurai from stealth its likely no contest.
If it attacks head on and the samurai is able to attack with the sword i assume he can cut into the tiger’s head like he cuts any other enemy.

Yeah, that's the scenario I wrote under background. The samurai sees him coming and has enough time to draw his sword and strike.

Last edited:

Liljagare

Gold Member

The impact of an attacking tiger can be compared to that of a piano falling on you from a second story window. But unlike the piano, the tiger is designed to do this, and the impact is only the beginning. -John Vaillant

A tiger can jump 25 feet. Even if your sword managed to hit, hard to do when something is leaping at you from the side, the tiger would still land on you. And a small sword is not a particularly effective weapon to begin with.

Cutting weapons may help a little, but given the sheer mass of a tiger that probably won't be enough.

In short, you need a spear.

History has a similar example:

Usama ibn Munqidh shared a story about a Frankish knight, Sir Adam, who owned the castle of Hunak in Outremer. The knight heard tales of a leopard who would jump into a window of the Church of Hunak (which was 40 cubits high), and sleep in the shadow of the window all day.

Sir Adam decided to kill the beast, so he "put on his coat of mail, mounted his horse, took his shield and lance and came to the church... As soon as the leopard saw him, it jumped from the window upon him while he was on his horse, broke his back and killed him. It then went away."

Let's just make this clear: An adult tiger will kill the samurai regardless of what the samurai does.

Thrust or cut? Doesn't matter. Thrust gets you the outside chance of fatally wounding the tiger before you die. A cut will be completely ignored by the animal.

Direct attack or riposte? Doesn't matter. Direct attack gets you best chance of fatally wounding the tiger before you die. You wont get a chance to riposte.

Last edited:

dr_octagon

Banned
Romulus Romulus just shot themselves in the foot.
I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and katanas are huge parts of it.

It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by owning a gun. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is to kill a tiger with a katana.

What this means is the Joe Exotic, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase another zoo nor will they hire another hitman for Carol Baskin.

This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but this thread has alienate an entire industry of anti tiger armor. Publicly apologize and cancel this thread or you can kiss Tony and Kellogs Frosties goodbye.

QSD

The impact of an attacking tiger can be compared to that of a piano falling on you from a second story window. But unlike the piano, the tiger is designed to do this, and the impact is only the beginning. -John Vaillant

Being a predator, a tiger wouldn't attack head on. ... Even if your sword managed to hit, hard to do when something is leaping at you from the side, the tiger would still land on you. And a small sword is not a particularly effective weapon to begin with.

"The impact of a katana on a tiger is much like a hot knife through butter. But unlike butter, you don't have to spread a tiger on toast. Any cut - to the head, the abdomen, the limbs - will cause severe injury and might well be fatal. A real samurai is already estimating the price the pelt will fetch before he even strikes." - Kusunoki Masashige

Azurro

Banned
"The impact of a katana on a tiger is much like a hot knife through butter. But unlike butter, you don't have to spread a tiger on toast. Any cut - to the head, the abdomen, the limbs - will cause severe injury and might well be fatal. A real samurai is already estimating the price the pelt will fetch before he even strikes." - Kusunoki Masashige

The Japanese have a teensy tiny tendency to exaggerate their own things. :)

The Samurai is dead, and like others say, the best he can hope for is a fatal strike before the tiger hits him.

The katana is not even that great of a sword compared to a European one. It's heavy and of bad quality steel. Anyway, It is a sword, not a Jedi light saber. :)

Romulus

I think the biggest disadvantage for the tiger is using its paws as a first line of offensive. That's just instinct. That straight-on attack is not crazy different from the countless swords strikes, spear throws, arrows etc that have been flying at the samurai most of his life. The difference is, it won't be a metal on metal contact, it's flesh on metal and I'm not sure if people have seen how a sharp katana does but it lops through bone like butter. It's not a broadsword where it's more of this blunt force cut that relies on the weight of the weapon and the strength of the user.

Last edited:

QSD

The Japanese have a teensy tiny tendency to exaggerate their own things. :)

The Samurai is dead, and like others say, the best he can hope for is a fatal strike before the tiger hits him.

The katana is not even that great of a sword compared to a European one. It's heavy and of bad quality steel. Anyway, It is a sword, not a Jedi light saber. :)

Lol come on man, it's a tiger, not a xenomorph. Everybody knows big cats are a joke.

Kamina

Golden Boy
A tiger is not a painless machine. If it tries attack and the samurai were to swing his sword at the same time, a deep cut over the tigers face might be enough to send it running.
However, i agree that a jump attack would most likely end badly/deadly for the samurai.

Liljagare

Gold Member

A allready proven fake news story. :) :)

Katana is tempered glass hard - much harder than Western swords - but tempering comes with price. Steel is steel which is steel, and katana is no magic weapon, but subject to laws of metallurgy. When the steel is hardened into martensitic phase, it also becomes not only hard, but brittle. Moreover, it loses all its springiness and ability to stand sideways torque. Try to swing at the tiger when it is flaying at you with claws, harder than steel, your little toy would break.

Now, I would wager a Norse berzerk with a Ulfbrecht would fare better, better weapon, and 100 kg of more muscle than a 5'5 wee Samurai probarly weighing in at 60 kg max. I think a 6 foot plus, crazed human, with atleast 30% of the bodymass of the tiger, might be able to atleast take one hit, and get back up. Unless the claws get in, if that happens, they can take down a elephant, solo.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
The tiger is bigger, faster, stronger and has far better reflexes.

Tiger wins

McCheese

I voted samurai before reading the replies, now you got me thinking I fucked up.

But surely if the samurai sees the tiger coming they have one chance to slice it when it attacks, a well trained samurai should be able to deal a fatal blow the moment the tiger comes into range.

Any day a samurai. Don't be ridiculous. A sharp sword can slay that pussy easily. Even if it does not kill it, the tiger instinctively will flee once it's wounded, however the samurai will fight to the death if need be.

QSD

Katana is tempered glass hard - much harder than Western swords - but tempering comes with price. Steel is steel which is steel, and katana is no magic weapon, but subject to laws of metallurgy. When the steel is hardened into martensitic phase, it also becomes not only hard, but brittle. Moreover, it loses all its springiness and ability to stand sideways torque. Try to swing at the tiger when it is flaying at you with claws, harder than steel, your little toy would break.
Bro did u even watch the intro of Lord of the Rings? Even a broken blade can cut the fingers of a god-like entity... let alone an overgrown Garfield lol
Now, I would wager a Norse berzerk with a Ulfbrecht would fare better, better weapon, and 100 kg of more muscle than a 5'5 wee Samurai probarly weighing in at 60 kg max. I think a 6 foot plus, crazed human, with atleast 30% of the bodymass of the tiger, might be able to atleast take one hit, and get back up. Unless the claws get in, if that happens, they can take down a elephant, solo.
I'm gonna call fake news too on that last claim, let's see some clips

iamblades

Any day a samurai. Don't be ridiculous. A sharp sword can slay that pussy easily. Even if it does not kill it, the tiger instinctively will flee once it's wounded, however the samurai will fight to the death if need be.
^^

People drastically underrate the power of tool use. When humans got the tool use talent we broke the game.

If the tiger cant one shot kill the samurai with a neck bite(and i think samurai lamellar armor is plenty strong enough to stop that), even a knife is enough to kill a tiger. There are recorded cases of people killing tigers and lions and bears with knives without armor, and the armor should take away the tigers only 100% strategy(the one shot stealth kill).

A sword or a polearm would be even better. A samurai in full armor with a naginata? it wouldn't even be a contest.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

The replies in here are extremely funny I love it.

Not a chance a Samurai stands a chance against a tiger.

The tiger is x7 the weight of the human and as we are talking about a fairly small human male far far stronger and much much faster. Tigers are highly intelligent creatures with an instinct to kill and survive.

Considering the size of the prey the tiger is likely to attack at speed in a charge to down the samurai and deliver a crushing bite to the neck.

Whatever armour the samurai has is likely ripped from its fittings as the tiger uses its hind legs to shred at the humans torso, it’s claws are razor sharp and delivered with power and unimaginable penetration force on the relatively weak armour.

the impact alone of the tiger launching at the samurai would likely cause internal bleeding from impact and also would likely break a bone or two.

the bite force of the tiger would also decimate the armour.

The best bet for a samurai would be to stand and hold his sword outward for the tiger to impale itself on impact but as the tiger has such a survival instinct and momentum it wouldn’t kill the tiger instantly and therefore would kill the samurai via impact or the bite to the neck or impact of the lunge

A fairer fight would be vs a leopard but as someone stated it wouldn’t be a close fight a leopard would still come out on top.

Romulus

Tiger claw hardness level is 2.5, a katana is 40. It's not breaking on those claws, sorry. They're made to strike other katanas. There are various demonstrations of them hacking through bone with ease, and claws are made of the same thing. And even if the claws were harder, the chance of the katana striking the claws is incredibly low.

Last edited:

QSD

I'm curious... for those who are saying tiger would win easy, let's say we run this experiment 100 times. How many fights would the tiger win?

as much a weeb as I am for such a long time, I'm putting my money on the tiger. they are the top predator for a reason. even a top tier samurai with the armor on, would be hard to go head on against one of the most deadly large cat in the world. the pure primal force the tiger can unleash would be too much for most human. the samurai can maybe dodge a few swipes from the tiger but at the end the size and strength difference would determent the outcome of this fight. also, as sharp as katanas are and as skill as the samurai is, it would still be VERY hard to deal a lethal blow to the tiger due to it's size and agility. the samurai might land a few slashes, but that's at the great risk of receiving injuries on his own body too. the samurai armor is not really that sturdy that it can withstand a tiger's claw swipe or worse, it's bite.

now, having said that, IF we're talking about stalk and hunt instead of head on fight, there is a chance for the samurai to win. he can use traps to weaken and slow down the tiger. make the tiger bleed out and such. or even use poison. man's strength does not lie in our physical strength after all, but in our intelligent.

Romulus

I'm curious... for those who are saying tiger would win easy, let's say we run this experiment 100 times. How many fights would the tiger win?

I'd say the Tiger wins 70% of the time. Both die 20% of the time and the samurai outright wins 10%.

I bet most of the people saying tiger would claim "100 times out of a 100. No contest." lol. Even 10,000 times I bet they would say the same thing.

I can see a decent amount of scenarios play out where the Samuria inflicts a deep wound to the front legs somewhere but retreats, only to die hours or days later. I won't count that though.

Romulus

Kinda interesting how a much smaller bear(she's almost all hair) puts up this good of a fight against a larger tiger. It seems like to me Tigers are built with this superiority instinct and if anything puts up a fight they just run away. They would likely see the samurai as too small to put up a fight at all but little do they know it has a blade sharper and anything in the animal kingdom waiting. Not to mention extreme speed and precision. The tiger would have no idea what that blade does. It would just look like a shiny object to an animal and it wouldn't be seen as a threat.

Last edited:

Romulus

Another advantage for the samurai.

The sword is a 3ft extension to his body that can deal damage but cannot take damage to his person. The tiger has a few inches at best with his claws, then everything inside that range will take extreme damage. I would even bet the samurai has decent protection for some torso slashes. The claws could penetrate but would be somewhat absorbed or at least slowed down.

Last edited:

Romulus

This is authentic stuff. It's actually well-thought-out armor for the time period and medium weight. It features layers to not only negate most sharp objects but more importantly, lessen the impact of the blows themselves.

This just isn't some lazy ass cool-looking armor, it's purposely built to take damage smartly.

Samurai had to be precise to strike the very small weak points of the armor. How would a tiger know those weak points during its initial claw attack? Would the samurai just sit there and allow the tiger to find them? It's possible the samurai could survive a few blows, allowing him to counterattack. And that's assuming the tiger somehow entered a close-quarters fight without any damage, which I find very hard to imagine. It's likely the tiger is already bleeding badly but the time it enters extreme close range. I just don't see any "best of the best" samurai letting a dangerous animal get that close without making some contact. I bet even some novice samurai could land a blow if the animal is the aggressor(this situation the tiger is.)

Last edited:

lachesis

I give Tiger 9 out 10 chances of winning, no doubt. Tiger is bigger, stronger, faster, and got better hunting senses better than pretty much any other animals.

It's more than likely that Tiger was tracking down the Samurai, not the other way around. Tiger could probably hear the Samurai jangling from miles away.

Romulus

I give Tiger 9 out 10 chances of winning, no doubt. Tiger is bigger, stronger, faster, and got better hunting senses better than pretty much any other animals.

It's more than likely that Tiger was tracking down the Samurai, not the other way around. Tiger could probably hear the Samurai jangling from miles away.

The scenario is the tiger knew he was there and charged the samurai, but the samurai has plenty of time to react.

Last edited:

lachesis

Well, there is a story of Kato Kiyomasa hunting down a tiger, when Japan invaded Chosun (Korea) after Hideyoshi Toyotomi united Japan in late 1500s.
Those guys who invaded Korea were as battle hardened as they could be - down to their regular soldiers, coming freshly out of the many years of warring period.

Story goes like this. One night during the invasion, a tiger, said to be about 7.6ft came down from the mountain and killed Kiyomasa's horse, and ran away by jumping over the fences they put up for there base with the horse in its mouth. Kiyomasa (the leader/general) was furious - so he ordered his men to hunt the tiger down. But instead, he lost his men, including his subordinate samurai, Uetsuki. From then, he was determined to kill this tiger, that a mere animal has disgraced him. So he surrounded the mount with thousands of his men, and chased out animals... hoping to get the tiger. Deers, rabbits, squirrels, monkeys etc came out but not the tiger.

Then he finally found the tiger within the bushes, staring at him. There were several hundreds of his men aiming the rifle at the tiger, but he told his men to stand down - and he shot his rifle thru the neck of the beast, killing it. It's said he brought 5 tiger fur when he returned to Japan, as well as he sent Tiger meat (I think testicle) to his master Toyotomi, as they believed tiger testicle would cure Toyotomi's infertility issue.

Either way, killing a tiger isn't a joke for 1 person, especially with just a melee weapon. You'd at least need a long weapon like a spear to stand a chance.... Also, Japan doesn't have a tiger naturally (russian trader story is indeed neat), so a samurai from that era would have no idea of what to expect. The swipe of tiger, although it may not "penetrate" the armor - it would easily break any bones in the body.

In Korea, there were many tigers until early last century. Hundreds of people were killed by tigers every year - so it was one of the biggest task for the reigning government to kill the tigers & protect the people. It's written few times that the tigers even invaded the palace where the king lived and killed people - so you can imagine how it would have been like for the regular folks. They actually had special forces that hunted tigers, but it was also considered to be extremely courageous/dangerous job even with rifles... and you never do it alone. Their favored method were various traps, as hitting a tiger with bow & arrow or even rifle was extremely difficult from frontal angle. You had to hit it on the side belly, but imagine how difficult it would be.

In OP's situation - most likely the tiger is probably old and sick (as that's what they do - often the tigers that attach human are either sick or old, unable to hunt down other agile animals - so that may play favorably to the samurai - but realistically... no. Even if the tiger is pretty old, 9 out of 10, a tiger wins.

Romulus

Well, there is a story of Kato Kiyomasa hunting down a tiger, when Japan invaded Chosun (Korea) after Hideyoshi Toyotomi united Japan in late 1500s.
Those guys who invaded Korea were as battle hardened as they could be - down to their regular soldiers, coming freshly out of the many years of warring period.

Story goes like this. One night during the invasion, a tiger, said to be about 7.6ft came down from the mountain and killed Kiyomasa's horse, and ran away by jumping over the fences they put up for there base with the horse in its mouth. Kiyomasa (the leader/general) was furious - so he ordered his men to hunt the tiger down. But instead, he lost his men, including his subordinate samurai, Uetsuki. From then, he was determined to kill this tiger, that a mere animal has disgraced him. So he surrounded the mount with thousands of his men, and chased out animals... hoping to get the tiger. Deers, rabbits, squirrels, monkeys etc came out but not the tiger.

Then he finally found the tiger within the bushes, staring at him. There were several hundreds of his men aiming the rifle at the tiger, but he told his men to stand down - and he shot his rifle thru the neck of the beast, killing it. It's said he brought 5 tiger fur when he returned to Japan, as well as he sent Tiger meat (I think testicle) to his master Toyotomi, as they believed tiger testicle would cure Toyotomi's infertility issue.

Either way, killing a tiger isn't a joke for 1 person, especially with just a melee weapon. You'd at least need a long weapon like a spear to stand a chance.... Also, Japan doesn't have a tiger naturally (russian trader story is indeed neat), so a samurai from that era would have no idea of what to expect. The swipe of tiger, although it may not "penetrate" the armor - it would easily break any bones in the body.

In Korea, there were many tigers until early last century. Hundreds of people were killed by tigers every year - so it was one of the biggest task for the reigning government to kill the tigers & protect the people. It's written few times that the tigers even invaded the palace where the king lived and killed people - so you can imagine how it would have been like for the regular folks. They actually had special forces that hunted tigers, but it was also considered to be extremely courageous/dangerous job even with rifles... and you never do it alone. Their favored method were various traps, as hitting a tiger with bow & arrow or even rifle was extremely difficult from frontal angle. You had to hit it on the side belly, but imagine how difficult it would be.

In OP's situation - most likely the tiger is probably old and sick (as that's what they do - often the tigers that attach human are either sick or old, unable to hunt down other agile animals - so that may play favorably to the samurai - but realistically... no. Even if the tiger is pretty old, 9 out of 10, a tiger wins.

I'm not saying the armor makes a samurai invulnerable either., but not sure about a tiger swipe breaking bones through the armor and I doubt the guys that were killed by that tiger had much armor at all. Usually, dudes with guns back then were all offensive and had little defensive training for close quarters other than their own flesh against the tiger's claws. Not to mention when you fire that round of a musket, that's it. Here goes the long reload process. It just seems like an ideal stalking situation against those sorts of soldiers. Now, machine guns or even semi autos? Tiger is fucking toast 9/10 times.

Ballthyrm

Probably an agility contest. If the tiger jumps and the samurai avoid it, the tiger is toast.
The samurai would get some solid cuts and then it's downhill from there.
If the tiger get the jump then it's the samurai who would get killed.

Depends on what the tiger is choosing to do with its body weight really.
Humans are quite nimble and a prime fighter should be able to deflect a lot of attacks and should be protected quite well in its armor.

TrebleShot

A tiger isn’t a soft flabby piece of meat with a bone in the middle. Your talking about incredibly tough muscle tissue and tendons.

the sharpest knives have difficulty cutting through certain areas of chicken meat.

you may cause superficial skin damage but nothing the tiger won’t shrug off and come for a second attack which would be a killing blow to any human.

QSD

A tiger isn’t a soft flabby piece of meat with a bone in the middle. Your talking about incredibly tough muscle tissue and tendons.

the sharpest knives have difficulty cutting through certain areas of chicken meat.

A chicken is an ex-dinosaur, but even a walking fossil from the jurrasic age is no match for the sharpness of a katana. A tiger? Feline fillet. You'd be lucky to find a piece of bone after a samurai does his business.

you may cause superficial skin damage but nothing the tiger won’t shrug off and come for a second attack which would be a killing blow to any human.
If big cats weren't protected by elaborate conservation programs, they'd be extinct 5 times over. They were almost driven to extinction during Roman times because they were too easy too kill for Gladiators.

Last edited:

Romulus

The chicken breast comparison is not even remotely similar. The same reason you could never do this with a chicken knife for one reason. Torque.

This is going clean through bone.

Pretty effortlessly too. With cutting a chicken breast for food, you're using a limited wrist motion compared to your entire arm, hips, shoulders, and back. And that's a motion honed from decades of practice and in this case, the very best swordsman. Not to mention, the tiger's forward motion would just assist the blade's cutting power. It's simply loads of extra force. And the tiger would have no idea that his aggression is aiding the swordsman's cutting power by many magnitudes.

There's also a practice tool samurai use that looks like a pole but has the same hardness of thick flesh. I watched a guy use an ancient-style sword to cut down dozens of them easily. 1000 perfect cuts with zero errors almost effortless swings.

The tiger will be attacking with his paws, so his front legs and paws will likely take damage first, then the head is directly in range.

I actually think soft flabby sign tissue would be an advantage to take damage first. Layers of fat. But basically, he's attacking the samurai with his paws, which are incredibly important for balance and offense. He'd probably lose part of his paw or all of it.

Last edited:

Romulus

I also notice the tiger isn't really concerned about having his head or claws in range of being lopped off or severely wounded. But why would he? He's evolved not to think that way. He's evolved to know he's the apex predator and all he needs to do is a mad rush and throw his weight around and it's game over. I think that's a massive disadvantage.

Outside of the scary snarling and fearsome looks, there's really not much overwhelming speed here or any of the tiger attacks I've seen. It's just an explosive rush, which is probably slower than the spears being hurled at samurai or the sword strikes he's been parrying since he was a boy.

Claws and face well within range. I would imagine a tiger wouldn't see any difference between this guy's stick and a katana either. Why would he?

Actually, in many of the videos I've seen, it looks like a samurai would land a couple of deep slashes before being hit at all. The animal has just evolved to walk right into a fight with no concern. A massive point against it.

Last edited:

Romulus

No swords are stopping that tiger. You would need a big gun. He’d send 5 legendary samurais running for the rice fields.

I think it's more than just a sword. In this case, it's the user. A master swordsman who's been parrying other sword strikes in combat for years. We've demonstrated that the katana can cut through bone easily, much less flesh. Why wouldn't losing part of his paw or all of it slow him down? He's literally crippled at that point and bleeding profusely. Pretty much every video shows a tiger coming in with extreme confidence, not worried about anything the enemy can do when in reality he could easily lose a limb. Very easily. But the tiger has evolved not to think that way because there's nothing in his food chain that carry a weapon that can slice through bone. Even the most dangerous situations against other tigers, they literally stand in front of each other while claw striking. Face and everything are in range.

Last edited:
Top Bottom