• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armored Samurai vs Siberian Tiger. No video lol

Who wins?

• Legendary Samurai swordsman

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • Battle tested Siberian tiger

Votes: 32 41.6%
  • Both die as a result of their wounds

Votes: 11 14.3%

• Total voters
Samurai fight is of course silly... what we need is a true champion of the modern era to take on this kitty cat, Tammy Slaton:
KNr64NB.png

Arm her with the frying pan that she is apparently having sex with... she's got 300 lbs on that bitch-ass tiger, and the prospect of turning it into a meal.

My money's on Tammy.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Samurai dies instantly and brutally lol.

This isn't a safari hunt or gladiator match, where the Tiger is being stalked or isn't even aware it's in a fight.

Rules of this scenario are the Tiger is full charge with intent to kill. Samurai is fuckin dinner.

Romulus

This isn't a safari hunt or gladiator match, where the Tiger is being stalked or isn't even aware it's in a fight.

Rules of this scenario are the Tiger is full charge with intent to kill. Samurai is fuckin dinner.

Have you ever seen a Siberian tiger charge? It's pretty lax compared to what I thought it would be like.

Sakura

Do you think tigers run at mach speed or some shit? Or that it's going to parry the katana with its claws? It's going to run head first into the sword.

Ballthyrm

I think we have a pretty good idea of what happens between a charging animal and a human.

5edebc607d56e_000_par8179432.jpg

Y all seem to think that the Tiger would land its attack 100%.
I'm really not so sure. Tiger are big, really big, they don't turn on a dime.

Also humans are smart, really smart.
They won't fight "fair"

So maybe stop considering it's a head on fight and would stay that way.

Last edited:
I think we have a pretty good idea of what happens between a charging animal and a human.

5edebc607d56e_000_par8179432.jpg

Y all seem to think that the Tiger would land its attack 100%.
I'm really not so sure. Tiger are big, really big, they don't turn on a dime.

Also humans are smart, really smart.
They won't fight "fair"

So maybe stop considering it's a head on fight and would stay that way.

That only problem with this notion is that bulls can't literally take their front hoof and side swipe you as they run by.

A large Siberian tiger would take your face off as it ran by.

Seriously, just watch the first video here... not even a Siberian... it clears a fucking *elephant* and appears to be heading full throttle at homeboys throat. I doubt he made it:

Nester99

That only problem with this notion is that bulls can't literally take their front hoof and side swipe you as they run by.

Seriously, just watch the first video here... not even a Siberian... it clears a fucking *elephant* and appears to be heading full throttle at homeboys throat. I doubt he made it:

The full video that debunks all you said (shows the aftermath and interview with the riders) was posted on the first page on this thread.

Looks like he got a injury to his arm, and had to go to the hospital,. No severed limb, certainly no death.

I also notice the tiger isn't really concerned about having his head or claws in range of being lopped off or severely wounded. But why would he? He's evolved not to think that way. He's evolved to know he's the apex predator and all he needs to do is a mad rush and throw his weight around and it's game over. I think that's a massive disadvantage.

Outside of the scary snarling and fearsome looks, there's really not much overwhelming speed here or any of the tiger attacks I've seen. It's just an explosive rush, which is probably slower than the spears being hurled at samurai or the sword strikes he's been parrying since he was a boy.

Claws and face well within range. I would imagine a tiger wouldn't see any difference between this guy's stick and a katana either. Why would he?

Romulus

Smaller cats are faster. Bengals are hundreds of pounds lighter. Every video I've seen of a frontal attack Siberian they're taking their time by comparison. They know they're bigger and stronger than everything in their food chain.
Not only that though, look how exposed the face is of the tiger.

If they do a one claw swipe, they have start slowing down because all 4 legs are important for balance and acceleration.
A two claw attack is going to a grab usually in conjunction with a jump.
The difference is the samurai moves on two feet and can deal full force attacks while retreating or sidestepping. I would think for a couple of seconds there would be almost like a 3ft chainsaw arc in front of the tiger. I literally think a master could deal a ton of strikes in short succession while retreating.
The issue is tigers don't deal with prey like this. 95% of the time they cower and try to run away so it just becomes a game of climbing atop them and an easy bite.

Last edited:

QSD

Obviously this is not a tiger. It's a striped puma. You can tell by the fact that the attack is succesful.

Obviously this is not a tiger. It's a striped puma. You can tell by the fact that the attack is succesful.
Somewhat on topic - this is a really bad ass story (original story of the film Ghost and The Darkness) about the Tsavo lions... shocking how fucking deadly they were:

This single tigress took out almost 500 people:

Last edited:

Romulus

Somewhat on topic - this is a really bad ass story (original story of the film Ghost and The Darkness) about the Tsavo lions... shocking how fucking deadly they were:

Yeah, that's a fascinating story. I've seen the movie too. But as you said, it's very different because the lions preyed on tired railway workers, almost always while they were asleep in tents, and oftentimes 2 lions vs 1 person. Not that it would matter, 1 lion is enough for anyone.

Last edited:

QSD

Well I've trolled about as much as I can in this thread LOL. I haven't seen The Ghost and the Darkness but IIRC I did see a documentary about the story of the Siberian Tiger hunting down the Russian guy who stole his kill (story was posted by another user) which was well made and both tragic and scary. It also painted a picture or the area of russia where it happened and the lives of people there which were hit by poverty and unemployment after the fall of communism, which led the guy in question to have to hunt to eat. The part where he's being stalked by the tiger while taking refuge in a cabin is very claustrophobic. Wouldn't surprise me if they make it into a horror film sometime. Except samurais the world over would consider it a comedy.

lachesis

Why does it have to be a master samurai then? Can it be 90 year old grandma, no?

She just have to have enough strength to hold out the katana for few second, and the tiger will just straight jump into the Katana, making a nice, ready to grill tiger kebab - since tigers do not know that sharp objects could hurt him. /s

Romulus

Why does it have to be a master samurai then? Can it be 90 year old grandma, no?

She just have to have enough strength to hold out the katana for few second, and the tiger will just straight jump into the Katana, making a nice, ready to grill tiger kebab - since tigers do not know that sharp objects could hurt him. /s

I would argue in some very rare cases both would die from wounds yeah if the tiger leaped on top of her, but the old woman would die 100% every single time because she can't move fast enough to turn a full force weight impact into a graze or a miss. She just doesn't have the strength to retreat and attack at the same time either. An impale doesn't equal death every time either, could be a shoulder wound for example, paw, or something else. She would just be far too limited in movement more than anything. Dead.

Even if the tiger could somehow sense the sharpness or understand the blade, the Katana is hidden until the first swing oftentimes. And a raging tiger in full charge is not going to make millisecond assessments of a shiny object whirling around about its sharpness. There's nothing in the wild food chain that has a weapon that sharp, stiff, or durable. It has zero reason to understand it.

Last edited:

Liljagare

Gold Member
Fun thread still! :)

The Siberian would hit 65 MPh, in 1.5 seconds, and I still say, it would ambush.

And, since we seem to favour the Samurai, it's 845 pounds of living weight, at the extreme.

A side step would require, not a side step, but rather, a 12 foot jump in either direction (largest known range of a Siberian with both paws out), because it will come at you with the claws out. I still say, at best, it's a combined lethal draw, with a human pancake. Also the lack of a strong stab leads to many problems, you simply cant hold the weight of the animal back with a sword that's blade will bend, or a katana that will shatter or bend. If you do stab it, the blade will run through all the way to the hilt, putting you into extremely close range of the Tiger, which will chew up your skull and backleg claw your entire body to shreds. You'd have a millisecond to hit the brain, which the Katana wouldn't be able to breach, due to the skulls thickness.

Last edited:

Liljagare

Gold Member
Also, differences between the sexes, Lions, but they behave simirarly in a hunt/fight.

The male doesn't give a shit, and with just a few more pounds compared to the female, is able is able to take large hits from large horns, that are harder than a Katana. It's almost in Slowmotion too, imagine being the human, even in this lesser situation.

But, I would still not want to in a meeting with Mr. Honey Badger, which would probarly fuck up both the Samurai and Tiger, and then have a nap.

Spoiler, both bagders survived this btw. Probarly NSFW.

Last edited:

lachesis

I would argue in some very rare cases both would die from wounds yeah if the tiger leaped on top of her, but the old woman would die 100% every single time because she can't move fast enough to turn a full force weight impact into a graze or a miss. She just doesn't have the strength to retreat and attack at the same time either. An impale doesn't equal death every time either, could be a shoulder wound for example, paw, or something else. She would just be far too limited in movement more than anything. Dead.

Even if the tiger could somehow sense the sharpness or understand the blade, the Katana is hidden until the first swing oftentimes. And a raging tiger in full charge is not going to make millisecond assessments of a shiny object whirling around about its sharpness. There's nothing in the wild food chain that has a weapon that sharp, stiff, or durable. It has zero reason to understand it.

Well, I present you Johanna Quass! I'm sure she can hold the tiger skewer and gracefully roll away from the impact. :)

Joke aside - as per the battojutsu (drawing technique) - I'm sorry that perhaps Rurouni Kenshin or other types of anime/manga/games may have given false idea of the power or purpose of it...

It aims precise, shallow cuts. Battojutsu was made to defend & counter from sudden attacks - or in certain cases, to assassinate in close proximity/closed & narrow quarters.
This video, actually is pretty fascinating - I recommend anyone interested to watch it. Not sure if it's the same guy who's hitting 310 miles/h (500km/h) baseball / BB bullet. TBH, I think he chose wrong profession - should have been an mlb player.

It's factually false that the battojutsu has more power or speed than full two hand swings. In order to achieve that, you need 0 friction from the sheath, and your one arm strength has to be stronger than both of them "combined". Either one of them are impossible, at least on earth, under Newton's law of physics. The reason it's coming out fast from the sheath is that you are pulling sheath away at the same time you are drawing the blade. But the blade itself isn't moving any faster - only faster in relative speed coming out of the sheath.

If that legendary samurai can draw faster & with more power than his full swing, he's doing the full swing wrong.

Either way, drawing out in 0.6 second is impressive - but..

1. Samurai already drew the blade out... in OP, as he should have for any chance of survival.
2. If not, according to wikipedia, a Siberian tiger can run faster than 50 miles per hour, although it rarely runs that fast often, because it uses a lot of energy for the tiger.
(I used wrong tiger speed - 35-40miles per hour, which came down to 1.5 second for 20 min). 50 miles per hour is like 22 meters per second. Not sure if 65miles per hour quoted by some is accurate though... but I know some tigers do go that fast too. With the tiger 20 meters away given, it will reach the samurai in 0.9 second or less... to make upto 3cm cut on 8 inch (20 cm) paw, probably not even that due to fur + probably thicker skin + bigger bones.
3. You know what's 700lbs and runs 50miles an hour? A decent sized Harley Davison. Let's say tiger reached him at 0.9 second, and Samurai quick drew at 0.6 second. Tiger, probably didn't even realized it's hit (pain often comes in after, often the result by a hit of a good swordsman) and the momentum of the tiger is still going thru, to the Samurai - unless the tiger, is somehow magically be able to stop within remaining 0.3 second from 50 miles an hour. In this case - we have 1.3 meter. like 4 feet or so, at 50 miles an hour.
4. By the time katana hits tiger's paw, the 24" blade of Edo era Katana + maybe another 28" of arm/grip, makes 52". That's 1.3 meter - at fully extended. at optimal angle at the most. Even so, you are well within a grab of the tiger. Even if the tiger loses its balance and crash onto you - yup. You are hit by a 700 lb Harley Davison.

I'd rather stick to the tiger skewer theory, using his momentum as weapon & roll away with the momentum - than using battojutsu on a tiger. TBH.

Thing about it is we give too much benefit of doubt for the samurai's unknown ability, vs known ability of the tiger. Why don't we give him the ability of shooting fireball or that vacuum wave cuts too? Why not have him throw those two shorter blades in less than 0.9 seconds to the both eyes of the tiger at 100% accuracy like some ninja , then slash/decapitate?

Also let's forget about his 50 lbs full armor too, which unfortunately is quite rippable as it has so much gap/ripples for claw to cling on to - unlike western big, full metal plates. It maybe effective for swords and definitely arrows (It's know that Japanese arrows are pretty weak and slow despite its enormous bow size, fully armored samurais didn't really fear them from afar - and cut them down easily. If you are talking about something like Pyeonjeon - The Chosun baby arrows which were far more powerful/faster and half the arrow length - that's a totally different story. Many Japanese warriors died from it - including well known generals and all)

So, this 150lb guy wearing 50lb full armor + 3 swords, probably add additional 5lbs, I'm sure he can move and dodge faster, at least further than the reach of the 10-11ft tiger in less than 0.3 second - when the basic posture of katana holding, requires two feet widely planted front and back for balance..? Highly doubtful, but heck, he is a master swords man, no?

And videos of tigers bumbling around. If that's all they can do, how could they even survive in the wild? All the studies about how ferocious and dangerous the animal is must be wrong and false.

It seems like, all the anecdotal theory and known facts and all, cannot win against mystic.

Romulus

Well, I present you Johanna Quass! I'm sure she can hold the tiger skewer and gracefully roll away from the impact. :)

Joke aside - as per the battojutsu (drawing technique) - I'm sorry that perhaps Rurouni Kenshin or other types of anime/manga/games may have given false idea of the power or purpose of it...

It aims precise, shallow cuts. Battojutsu was made to defend & counter from sudden attacks - or in certain cases, to assassinate in close proximity/closed & narrow quarters.
This video, actually is pretty fascinating - I recommend anyone interested to watch it. Not sure if it's the same guy who's hitting 310 miles/h (500km/h) baseball / BB bullet. TBH, I think he chose wrong profession - should have been an mlb player.

It's factually false that the battojutsu has more power or speed than full two hand swings. In order to achieve that, you need 0 friction from the sheath, and your one arm strength has to be stronger than both of them "combined". Either one of them are impossible, at least on earth, under Newton's law of physics. The reason it's coming out fast from the sheath is that you are pulling sheath away at the same time you are drawing the blade. But the blade itself isn't moving any faster - only faster in relative speed coming out of the sheath.

If that legendary samurai can draw faster & with more power than his full swing, he's doing the full swing wrong.

Either way, drawing out in 0.6 second is impressive - but..

1. Samurai already drew the blade out... in OP, as he should have for any chance of survival.
2. If not, according to wikipedia, a Siberian tiger can run faster than 50 miles per hour, although it rarely runs that fast often, because it uses a lot of energy for the tiger.
(I used wrong tiger speed - 35-40miles per hour, which came down to 1.5 second for 20 min). 50 miles per hour is like 22 meters per second. Not sure if 65miles per hour quoted by some is accurate though... but I know some tigers do go that fast too. With the tiger 20 meters away given, it will reach the samurai in 0.9 second or less... to make upto 3cm cut on 8 inch (20 cm) paw, probably not even that due to fur + probably thicker skin + bigger bones.
3. You know what's 700lbs and runs 50miles an hour? A decent sized Harley Davison. Let's say tiger reached him at 0.9 second, and Samurai quick drew at 0.6 second. Tiger, probably didn't even realized it's hit (pain often comes in after, often the result by a hit of a good swordsman) and the momentum of the tiger is still going thru, to the Samurai - unless the tiger, is somehow magically be able to stop within remaining 0.3 second from 50 miles an hour. In this case - we have 1.3 meter. like 4 feet or so, at 50 miles an hour.
4. By the time katana hits tiger's paw, the 24" blade of Edo era Katana + maybe another 28" of arm/grip, makes 52". That's 1.3 meter - at fully extended. at optimal angle at the most. Even so, you are well within a grab of the tiger. Even if the tiger loses its balance and crash onto you - yup. You are hit by a 700 lb Harley Davison.

I'd rather stick to the tiger skewer theory, using his momentum as weapon & roll away with the momentum - than using battojutsu on a tiger. TBH.

Thing about it is we give too much benefit of doubt for the samurai's unknown ability, vs known ability of the tiger. Why don't we give him the ability of shooting fireball or that vacuum wave cuts too? Why not have him throw those two shorter blades in less than 0.9 seconds to the both eyes of the tiger at 100% accuracy like some ninja , then slash/decapitate?

Also let's forget about his 50 lbs full armor too, which unfortunately is quite rippable as it has so much gap/ripples for claw to cling on to - unlike western big, full metal plates. It maybe effective for swords and definitely arrows (It's know that Japanese arrows are pretty weak and slow despite its enormous bow size, fully armored samurais didn't really fear them from afar - and cut them down easily. If you are talking about something like Pyeonjeon - The Chosun baby arrows which were far more powerful/faster and half the arrow length - that's a totally different story. Many Japanese warriors died from it - including well known generals and all)

So, this 150lb guy wearing 50lb full armor + 3 swords, probably add additional 5lbs, I'm sure he can move and dodge faster, at least further than the reach of the 10-11ft tiger in less than 0.3 second - when the basic posture of katana holding, requires two feet widely planted front and back for balance..? Highly doubtful, but heck, he is a master swords man, no?

And videos of tigers bumbling around. If that's all they can do, how could they even survive in the wild? All the studies about how ferocious and dangerous the animal is must be wrong and false.

It seems like, all the anecdotal theory and known facts and all, cannot win against mystic.

He doesn't even have to draw from sheath though, and there are two stances with the sword behind the samurai, one of we which can deliver a thrust or a swipe.

I think the shallow cuts he's referring to comparing it at a range where only the wrist or arm is in range. That's usually the first wound before something more serious comes. Either way, that extra training in precision will just aid them slicing at a foreman with the tigers forward momentum. 700lbs moving at 30mph. Impale could work too, its probably higher percentage considering the tiger is charging.

There's no evidence the armor is "rippable" or wouldn't present solid protection enough to land additional blows. Now if he just stood there with no weapon, he'd probably die in under 5 seconds. The armor probably wouldn't affect his speed too much in the beginning. I think adrenaline would make it about equal. I don't see the fight lasting longer than 10 seconds anyway.

The reason the tiger survives is he's really the only thing in Siberia to content with other than other tigers. We've seen videos of bears that are much smaller giving them a run for their money, and even the tiger just seems to dismiss everything outside of that first initial charge. I would just think that nothing really challenges them, so no need to try that hard. They just act like a big kitten playing with their food sometimes.

I was somewhat enjoying the conversation lol I don't know how we got to fireballs. Not sure how we got there.

Last edited:

lachesis

He doesn't even have to draw from sheath though, and there are two stances with the sword behind the samurai, one of we which can deliver a thrust or a swipe.

I think the shallow cuts he's referring to comparing it at a range where only the wrist or arm is in range. That's usually the first wound before something more serious comes. Either way, that extra training in precision will just aid them slicing at a foreman with the tigers forward momentum. 700lbs moving at 30mph. Impale could work too, its probably higher percentage considering the tiger is charging.

There's no evidence the armor is "rippable" or wouldn't present solid protection enough to land additional blows. Now if he just stood there with no weapon, he'd probably die in under 5 seconds.

The reason the tiger survives is he's really the only thing in Siberia to content with other than other tigers. We've seen videos of bears that are much smaller giving them a run for their money, and even the tiger just seems to dismiss everything outside of that first initial charge. I would just think that nothing really challenges them, so no need to try that hard. They just act like a big kitten playing with their food sometimes.

I was somewhat enjoying the conversation lol I don't know how we got to fireballs. Not sure how we got there.

In my opinion, only real chance Samurai has is if he can connect some real damage to the tiger early on. He probably has a good chance hurting the tiger to certain degree - but honestly think of delivering lethal blow enough to stop attacking is very slim. Sure, he could sever the paw with good blow - but as I said, circumstances really is stacked against him realistically. He probably doesn't even know it's a large cat - because of his time period he lived in. To cut down 10-11ft tiger with mere 2ft of blade that's sharp but not that heavy, is difficult and also immensely dangerous. If Musashi went to fight a tiger, he probably would have had studied the animal rather than charging in to begin with, and probably thought of different method.... and that's my bet.

Yes tigers do get hurt, but for them - that's part of their hunting process too. They sometimes get wounded and die during hunting dangers ones too, just like any other apex hunters. As per the bears - they consist about 2% of tiger's diet, according to some study that I read. They even mimic bear sound, to attract them. Quite possibly, they are going for the cubs, most likely (who wouldn't go for easier prey?) - but it's also known that tiger can crush bears skull with single swipe, along with very large animals like bulls and all. I think they just do it to establish their territory though... but what do I know. :)

But I did search for the youtube videos regarding tigers - and there are actually quite little footage about "wild" Siberian tigers - unless it's in a captivity or whatnot. Probably because of hostility of its natural habitat - and I tend to think it's really too dangerous to track wild Siberian tigers even with guns. According to the hunters universal testimonials about hunting a Siberian tiger - they are exceptionally hard to hit from front angle - as their fur somehow makes it difficult to hit. They always have to aim from the side angle. Most of them, rely on the traps first and foremost. Many don't return alive, because it's that dangerous. Legendary samurai, maybe the best in killing humans and anticipating human enemy - but to be honest, I give upper hands to those hunters regards to the subject of hunting "tiger" who study the animal only day in and day out with their lives - hoping to kill one for big payoff. Experience.

What's unlikely situation is that tiger would have noticed the samurai, long before he could noticed it. In real woods, chances are the Samurai couldn't even see it coming, no matter how much training he had... but the situation is little too arbitrary - tigers are normally nocturnal animals, and hardly visible in normal circumstances. They mostly attack from behind. (people wearing mask on their back of their head to prevent that, and it's known to have some effects - just mere glare, tiger hesitates to attack... and that's how cautious they are.

My scenario of the encounter, if this is indeed happening during broad daylight and no cover - the tiger would approach rather slowly. no charging in from front. They are very aware of unknown things. They even normally avoid people all together. If samurai has drawn and possibly in seigan stance - which gives you the most option from all direction and keeps the optimal distance from the tiger - tiger is very unlikely to approach unless it feels like it's away from the sword. It would probably rotate around the samurai's back - forcing samurai to rotate along with the tiger to keep the distance.

It may attack the samurai with quick swipe - and samurai should be able to swat it off with quick chops, not full swing. It may cut the paw of the tiger a bit, but such kind of quick stabs would hardly be lethal. It may anger the tiger and attack at some point - more from the side than front, avoiding the sword, now knowing fully that the sword is not to be mess with. Otherwise, it will retreat, not bothering the samurai - which is the best case for the samurai.

If he's smart, then he'll go back to the village and get a spear, lighter gears and probably bring a few other backups to help him out - and dig some traps around the village for protection. It will be quite difficult for him to really track the tiger, because tiger has superior sense than samurai. 50lbs of armor would make too much noise, and scales would be too rippable, as they are merely sewn together with mere silk thread (as far as I know) - scales were often made with either laccqured leather or metal. Very rippable once the 5 inch claws grab the edge of the scale by sheer force, even if it was made with metal. Also it would be too hard to even walk around for long distance w/o a horse.

So my conclusion is if either one of them were so "determined" to kill at its first encounter - Tiger is still most likely to win, unless the tiger is so dumb and just jumps into the sword range, which is very unlikely to happen as they are very cautious animals as I mentioned. If you are fending off any wild animal and have a long stick - how many would just jump into the stick? Not that many. It will grawl, and examine it before it makes a decision. Animals are very cautious because it's life or death for them, every single day, every hunt.

Longer it drags off - tiger would have upper hand with superior stamina, speed and all. It would roam around the samurai for a long time for opening, while the samurai would suffer under heavy 50lb armor with dinky 2ft sword drawn out against 10-11ft animal, anticipating the attack that could happen any time. He's fighting a monster that's far bigger, stronger, faster armed with 2ft length sword - and if it even roars - the low frequency of its roar would rattle him and freeze him one way or another - unless anticipated or heard it before.

Time, isn't the samurai's friend. If it gets darker - he's got 0 chance what so ever as tigers can see 6 times better than humans can. He needs to end the fight quick, but alas - that's not the choice for him as he can't just charge into the animal, as tiger could easily outrun the Samurai by several folds, and it would just deplete his stamina even more. No matter how you look at this situation - tiger is the hunter, and the samurai is indeed a prey. He could fight back, and unless he's extremely lucky - things are just too stacked against him, even in this rather arranged, arbitrary situation... and that's my opinion, and I still stand by 1 out of 10 chances for the samurai, if he insists his current equipment and going alone with 2ft sword against 10ft monster, and 50lb armor that would only give him marginal protection.

Last edited:

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Have you ever seen a Siberian tiger charge? It's pretty lax compared to what I thought it would be like.

Quick Google search says they charge between 50 and 60mph. Lol I mean that's pretty fast.

Do you think tigers run at mach speed or some shit? Or that it's going to parry the katana with its claws? It's going to run head first into the sword.

I think he's bringing 700lbs of fury in at 60mph. I don't think hes going to stand there and spar with the Samurai lmao, I think he's going to run right over the top of him and maul his ass.

That samurai is going to have a fraction of a second to deliver the absolute most perfectly timed cut or stab, with perfect precision to a fatal location, and with the right amount of force to kill that Tiger in one lightning motion. And he''s going to have to do it with the calmness of that beast bearing down on him.

Ok its not totally impossible just highly unlikely. Ill give the samurai 5 wins out of 100. The other 95 times he gets eaten. Weiner first.

Honestly I think the armor might be a detriment here. Samurai needs full speed and precision. If he doesn't end the Tiger in whatever initial motion he can get off before the Tiger crashes into him its over armor or not. Hes on his back the Tiger is in his face, GG.

Last edited:

Romulus

Quick Google search says they charge between 50 and 60mph. Lol I mean that's pretty fast.

It's very fast, but the thing is they don"t do that unless they're chasing prey. If a prey stands its ground and it's small, the tiger gives minimal effort with its speed.

Romulus

In my opinion, only real chance Samurai has is if he can connect some real damage to the tiger early on. He probably has a good chance hurting the tiger to certain degree - but honestly think of delivering lethal blow enough to stop attacking is very slim. Sure, he could sever the paw with good blow - but as I said, circumstances really is stacked against him realistically. He probably doesn't even know it's a large cat - because of his time period he lived in. To cut down 10-11ft tiger with mere 2ft of blade that's sharp but not that heavy, is difficult and also immensely dangerous. If Musashi went to fight a tiger, he probably would have had studied the animal rather than charging in to begin with, and probably thought of different method.... and that's my bet.

Yes tigers do get hurt, but for them - that's part of their hunting process too. They sometimes get wounded and die during hunting dangers ones too, just like any other apex hunters. As per the bears - they consist about 2% of tiger's diet, according to some study that I read. They even mimic bear sound, to attract them. Quite possibly, they are going for the cubs, most likely (who wouldn't go for easier prey?) - but it's also known that tiger can crush bears skull with single swipe, along with very large animals like bulls and all. I think they just do it to establish their territory though... but what do I know. :)

But I did search for the youtube videos regarding tigers - and there are actually quite little footage about "wild" Siberian tigers - unless it's in a captivity or whatnot. Probably because of hostility of its natural habitat - and I tend to think it's really too dangerous to track wild Siberian tigers even with guns. According to the hunters universal testimonials about hunting a Siberian tiger - they are exceptionally hard to hit from front angle - as their fur somehow makes it difficult to hit. They always have to aim from the side angle. Most of them, rely on the traps first and foremost. Many don't return alive, because it's that dangerous. Legendary samurai, maybe the best in killing humans and anticipating human enemy - but to be honest, I give upper hands to those hunters regards to the subject of hunting "tiger" who study the animal only day in and day out with their lives - hoping to kill one for big payoff. Experience.

What's unlikely situation is that tiger would have noticed the samurai, long before he could noticed it. In real woods, chances are the Samurai couldn't even see it coming, no matter how much training he had... but the situation is little too arbitrary - tigers are normally nocturnal animals, and hardly visible in normal circumstances. They mostly attack from behind. (people wearing mask on their back of their head to prevent that, and it's known to have some effects - just mere glare, tiger hesitates to attack... and that's how cautious they are.

My scenario of the encounter, if this is indeed happening during broad daylight and no cover - the tiger would approach rather slowly. no charging in from front. They are very aware of unknown things. They even normally avoid people all together. If samurai has drawn and possibly in seigan stance - which gives you the most option from all direction and keeps the optimal distance from the tiger - tiger is very unlikely to approach unless it feels like it's away from the sword. It would probably rotate around the samurai's back - forcing samurai to rotate along with the tiger to keep the distance.

It may attack the samurai with quick swipe - and samurai should be able to swat it off with quick chops, not full swing. It may cut the paw of the tiger a bit, but such kind of quick stabs would hardly be lethal. It may anger the tiger and attack at some point - more from the side than front, avoiding the sword, now knowing fully that the sword is not to be mess with. Otherwise, it will retreat, not bothering the samurai - which is the best case for the samurai.

If he's smart, then he'll go back to the village and get a spear, lighter gears and probably bring a few other backups to help him out - and dig some traps around the village for protection. It will be quite difficult for him to really track the tiger, because tiger has superior sense than samurai. 50lbs of armor would make too much noise, and scales would be too rippable, as they are merely sewn together with mere silk thread (as far as I know) - scales were often made with either laccqured leather or metal. Very rippable once the 5 inch claws grab the edge of the scale by sheer force, even if it was made with metal. Also it would be too hard to even walk around for long distance w/o a horse.

So my conclusion is if either one of them were so "determined" to kill at its first encounter - Tiger is still most likely to win, unless the tiger is so dumb and just jumps into the sword range, which is very unlikely to happen as they are very cautious animals as I mentioned. If you are fending off any wild animal and have a long stick - how many would just jump into the stick? Not that many. It will grawl, and examine it before it makes a decision. Animals are very cautious because it's life or death for them, every single day, every hunt.

Longer it drags off - tiger would have upper hand with superior stamina, speed and all. It would roam around the samurai for a long time for opening, while the samurai would suffer under heavy 50lb armor with dinky 2ft sword drawn out against 10-11ft animal, anticipating the attack that could happen any time. He's fighting a monster that's far bigger, stronger, faster armed with 2ft length sword - and if it even roars - the low frequency of its roar would rattle him and freeze him one way or another - unless anticipated or heard it before.

Time, isn't the samurai's friend. If it gets darker - he's got 0 chance what so ever as tigers can see 6 times better than humans can. He needs to end the fight quick, but alas - that's not the choice for him as he can't just charge into the animal, as tiger could easily outrun the Samurai by several folds, and it would just deplete his stamina even more. No matter how you look at this situation - tiger is the hunter, and the samurai is indeed a prey. He could fight back, and unless he's extremely lucky - things are just too stacked against him, even in this rather arranged, arbitrary situation... and that's my opinion, and I still stand by 1 out of 10 chances for the samurai, if he insists his current equipment and going alone with 2ft sword against 10ft monster, and 50lb armor that would only give him marginal protection.

No more fireballs lol.

I think we both agree that the samurai will likely land a deep paw or leg wound because thats what will reach the samurai first. The issue there is you have 700lbs trying to put weight on that wound. Movement at that point is suddenly very different in my opinion. Hes limbing and would probably reconsider the assault altogether.

I feel the scenario isnt exactly realistic either but a stealth attack at night is no fun. The samurai is probably 100% lunch at that point. I kinda saw it as the uncaged tiger had wondered into a village and people were making a commotion, pointing the samurai toward him. Much like the Bengal encounters in Indian villages were the people direct the authorities to the threat vocally.

I just feel like that .001% of the best humans have what seems almost like superhuman abilities when its combined with the very best natural specimen and the very best training. Like fighter pilots that can react and see things much faster than normal or even exceptionally gifted individuals. It's the combination at this point that makes the samurai a serious threat. That's why hes never lost a split second duel and killed top tier warriors with perfect cuts over and over, slicing through the small weak points of the samurai armor while moving. I just feel the target area for attack is massive. Tigers don't have a blade to parry with or armor to slow a blade or stop it, nor iron grieves. It's all flesh and bone coming right at him.

I just see a very small chance that the tiger walks away without a serious wound that eventually kills him in hours or days. Maybe even a couple of weeks because now hes too slow to run down prey with a deep forearm slice.

Last edited:

Sakura

I think he's bringing 700lbs of fury in at 60mph. I don't think hes going to stand there and spar with the Samurai lmao, I think he's going to run right over the top of him and maul his ass.

That samurai is going to have a fraction of a second to deliver the absolute most perfectly timed cut or stab, with perfect precision to a fatal location, and with the right amount of force to kill that Tiger in one lightning motion. And he''s going to have to do it with the calmness of that beast bearing down on him.

Ok its not totally impossible just highly unlikely. Ill give the samurai 5 wins out of 100. The other 95 times he gets eaten. Weiner first.

Honestly I think the armor might be a detriment here. Samurai needs full speed and precision. If he doesn't end the Tiger in whatever initial motion he can get off before the Tiger crashes into him its over armor or not. Hes on his back the Tiger is in his face, GG.
A Siberian Tiger doesn't go at 60mph, they can technically reach that speed, but they only hunt at about 50mph and even that is in short bursts. Regardless, the Samurai isn't running away so the tiger isn't going to be running top speed, because he isn't chasing the Samurai. Furthermore, a 700lb tiger likely isn't going to be able to even achieve that kind of speed due to its size. The average wild Siberian tiger is only around 400lbs. It ain't running at 50mph at 700lbs.
And even if it was able to run at 50mph, why would the Samurai have a fraction of a second to respond? The tiger is 20 metres away. That would still give the Samurai practically a full second to point the sword so as to impale the tiger, or strike an attack.
Additionally, as he is an expert samurai, he would be familiar with Iaijutsu where the entire purpose is being able to quickly draw your blade and make an attack in such a situation. here is a guy cutting a BB pellet:

Also consider that baseball players are able to hit a baseball that travels 100mph at about the same distance.
Why on earth would the Samurai not have the time to react and make a decent attack?

Last edited:
The Tiger would win because in real life Samurai Armor and Katanas are incredibly worthless outside fictional media. But fictional media is likely why Samurai even got votes. I bet this forum would vote for a Ninja if it replaced the Samurai too.

lachesis

No more fireballs lol.

I think we both agree that the samurai will likely land a deep paw or leg wound because thats what will reach the samurai first. The issue there is you have 700lbs trying to put weight on that wound. Movement at that point is suddenly very different in my opinion. Hes limbing and would probably reconsider the assault altogether.

I feel the scenario isnt exactly realistic either but a stealth attack at night is no fun. The samurai is probably 100% lunch at that point. I kinda saw it as the uncaged tiger had wondered into a village and people were making a commotion, pointing the samurai toward him. Much like the Bengal encounters in Indian villages were the people direct the authorities to the threat vocally.

I just feel like that .001% of the best humans have what seems almost like superhuman abilities when its combined with the very best natural specimen and the very best training. Like fighter pilots that can react and see things much faster than normal or even exceptionally gifted individuals. It's the combination at this point that makes the samurai a serious threat. That's why hes never lost a split second duel and killed top tier warriors with perfect cuts over and over, slicing through the small weak points of the samurai armor while moving. I just feel the target area for attack is massive. Tigers don't have a blade to parry with or armor to slow a blade or stop it, nor iron grieves. It's all flesh and bone coming right at him.

I just see a very small chance that the tiger walks away without a serious wound that eventually kills him in hours or days. Maybe even a couple of weeks because now hes too slow to run down prey with a deep forearm slice.

While I agree to the "possibility" of it happening, I can't agree on the likelihood in real life.
Doesn't mean it can't happen, but not likely considering everything we know about tiger's behaviors of how they hunt.

Again, I think you are giving way too much benefit for the samurai's ability of super human reflexes, skill and strength with no real boundary or limitations.
A lot of legends and folklore, is greatly exaggerated or sometimes even fabricated - rather than being truly factual.

Are his 60 kills strictly on an armored duel with top samurais? or does that number also include hired foot soldiers who were not properly armored nor had much training?
If former, yikes. He is literally a god of all samurai.
I don't think Miyamoto Musashi had that many duels with armors on during his 61 duels.

Sounds like this guy is even better and stronger than Yagyu Munenori - who actually is said to cut a boulder in half during a battle with mythical creature, Tengu.
(pic below shows the picture of said boulder)

KmdIMeJ.jpg

With this in mind, sarcastically speaking, the samurai won't have any issue of vertically slashing the incoming tiger in half, like Uma Thurman's character did in Kill Bill?

Sorry - I just don't see such happening in real life.

Edit: The rock was cut by Yagyu Munetoshi, not Munenori. Sorry got confused with all the names in the clan.

Last edited:
Any day a samurai. Don't be ridiculous. A sharp sword can slay that pussy easily. Even if it does not kill it, the tiger instinctively will flee once it's wounded, however the samurai will fight to the death if need be.
From personal experience, I can confirm that sharp, hard sword can slay pussy. On my country though, pussy doesnt flee but also fights to the end.

GymWolf

Gold Member
99 of 100.

I refuse to believe there is any situation this guy wins beyond some 1 in 100 (or 1 in a million) situation where the tiger lands on him and his katana perfectly severs it's spine/cerebellum. Even then the weight of it from the pounce will probably crush the guy so badly he'd die anyway.

Tigers are literal murder machines. They are the perfect killers. I would be more likely to bet on a guy in swim trunks defending himself from a shark with a katana.

This.

The amount of sheer force/velocity from a 700lb+ animal is enough to crush someone instantly. Then you have the claws, teeth, and rage.

I think tigers can leap some absurd fucking distance as well. It would close on the samurai and obliterate them within 1 second.
Sharks are better predators than tigers and in a far more favourable environment for them, in the water you have limited movements and sight, they don't, a bite from a white shark is far bigger than a bite from a huge tiger, they are faster and they can attack from literally below you, how can you counter an attack that aim at your feet from below?!

Good luck on trying to get a shark with a katana when you move in bullet time...

Last edited:

dave_d

Got to go with the tiger. I mean unless the Samurai has hunted tiger before. Then again if he's done that he's not using a sword. He'd either climb a tree and use a bow (yumi) or if on the ground he'd be using a spear.(Yari) You know there is a reason why people in the west when they hunted boars, which is also a large powerful animal with big sharp teeth, they used a spear and not a sword.(Oh and I think they hunted them in groups so he'd probably have a bunch of friends if he's hunting a tiger with a spear.)

Last edited:
Sharks are better predators than tigers and in a far more favourable environment for them, in the water you have limited movements and sight, they don't, a bite from a white shark is far bigger than a bite from a huge tiger, they are faster and they can attack from literally below you, how can you counter an attack that aim at your feet from below?!

Good luck on trying to get a shark with a katana when you move in bullet time...
A boop on the nose (literally) will scramble a shark's brain, and they don't have claws to maul you with.

GymWolf

Gold Member
A boop on the nose (literally) will scramble a shark's brain, and they don't have claws to maul you with.
Again, good luck on booping the nose of a great white that attack from an angle that you can't predict while having your movement in rallenty mode and in complete panic because you can't see shit and he can attack from any possible angle.

I take my chances with the tiger, thanks.

MastaKiiLA

I'm surprised at how many people pick the tiger. Not a great deal of respect for what an armed and armored human can do. I pick the armored samurai for most fights where the predator isn't well armored, like a rhino, hippo, elephant. Those animals can tank hits, and are burly. A tiger is still just a glass cannon.

lachesis

I'm sure that some people would think that the elephant skin or rhino skin is no match for katana's superior sharpness though.
If a soft, lead tipped bullet can penetrate Rhino/Elephant's skin - 2000-folded steel blade of Katana shouldn't have any issue, especially from a legendary samurai... no?

You just have to dodge sideway like avoiding the bull, and cut their leg off using superior technique and accuracy + the sharpness of the blade + the beast's own momentum, and it will lose its balance and fall. Perfect chance to deliver a deadly stab/decapitate!

All with a 24" blade. :)

Romulus

I'm sure that some people would think that the elephant skin or rhino skin is no match for katana's superior sharpness though.
If a soft, lead tipped bullet can penetrate Rhino/Elephant's skin - 2000-folded steel blade of Katana shouldn't have any issue, especially from a legendary samurai... no?

You just have to dodge sideway like avoiding the bull, and cut their leg off using superior technique and accuracy + the sharpness of the blade + the beast's own momentum, and it will lose its balance and fall. Perfect chance to deliver a deadly stab/decapitate!

All with a 24" blade. :)

Not sure why we need to take this approach like it's some easy task. I think even the most extreme on the samurai side would say its extremely dangerous, but yet most on the tigers side act like he could do it blindfolded and missing a limb.

Also, 24 inches for a katana was on the extreme smaller side. Barely registers a katana.

Average length is 41 inches

Romulus

While I agree to the "possibility" of it happening, I can't agree on the likelihood in real life.
Doesn't mean it can't happen, but not likely considering everything we know about tiger's behaviors of how they hunt.

Again, I think you are giving way too much benefit for the samurai's ability of super human reflexes, skill and strength with no real boundary or limitations.
A lot of legends and folklore, is greatly exaggerated or sometimes even fabricated - rather than being truly factual.

Are his 60 kills strictly on an armored duel with top samurais? or does that number also include hired foot soldiers who were not properly armored nor had much training?
If former, yikes. He is literally a god of all samurai.
I don't think Miyamoto Musashi had that many duels with armors on during his 61 duels.

Sounds like this guy is even better and stronger than Yagyu Munenori - who actually is said to cut a boulder in half during a battle with mythical creature, Tengu.
(pic below shows the picture of said boulder)

KmdIMeJ.jpg

With this in mind, sarcastically speaking, the samurai won't have any issue of vertically slashing the incoming tiger in half, like Uma Thurman's character did in Kill Bill?

Sorry - I just don't see such happening in real life.

Edit: The rock was cut by Yagyu Munetoshi, not Munenori. Sorry got confused with all the names in the clan.

I never said he has no boundaries. Hes at the very pinnacle of what's humanly possible in the samurai warring culture.
Anything can be exgerrated though, for instance I thought the Siberian was some ultra quick mass monster until I saw them moving in combat situations. Probably the most lax of the big cats actually because of his weight advantage over most prey.

So, we've comparing two combatants, one that lives and dies off split second, millimeter precise movements, verses a big lumbering cat that takes a couple quick steps before slowing down to grab fleeing prey. Even more relaxed if the prey just stands there.

Last edited:

lachesis

Not sure why we need to take this approach like it's some easy task. I think even the most extreme on the samurai side would say its extremely dangerous, but yet most on the tigers side act like he could do it blindfolded and missing a limb.

Also, 24 inches for a katana was on the extreme smaller side. Barely registers a katana.

Average length is 41 inches

I do have pretty terrible sense of humor.... :(

I think your 41" is probably including the handle and all - but you don't really hold your katana at the end of the handle, but very close to the guard.
Katana's blade's length, It's about 24" for average Edo period folks, who are about 5" 2" tall.

Since this specific samurai is 5' 7", so he probably had bout 26" or so. Usually, they are like the doulbe of your forearm or sort, IIRC.
These days, they make it longer - as people are also bigger in general, but it wasn't the case in warring era period.

It's not a long sword at all. Tachi, which is much longer. Odachi or Notachi (something like Sephiroth uses) is much much longer though, but I do wonder their effectiveness because they were so long.

Edit: A bit of history regarding Katana's length.
After sengoku (warring) era, Edo period came. During that time, since warring era was over, shogun gov made a regulation that limits katana's blade length. It cannot be logner than 2 shaku 3 sun in length - which is 69cm" - which is literally a little bit over 27 inches. So a lot of samurais actually cut down their Tachi to the size of a katana.

And that's one of the reason that a lot of famed tachi, including Muramasa tachis were cut to the size that fits within that 27" regulation. (On top of that, Tokugawa hated and feared Muramasa blades, that he believes that the sword is cursed and seeks Tokugawa blood - so he ordered to have all the Muramasa blades to be disposed - hence the legend is born - that cursed blade, Muramasa. :))

Last edited:
I'm surprised at how many people pick the tiger. Not a great deal of respect for what an armed and armored human can do. I pick the armored samurai for most fights where the predator isn't well armored, like a rhino, hippo, elephant. Those animals can tank hits, and are burly. A tiger is still just a glass cannon.

I'll admit a tiger vs. samurai is far more evenly matched than some of those.

If I had to put $100 on the deadliest land animal it would probably be a hippo. Those bastards don't play. You'd need some serious firepower, cause a sword ain't doing shit.

Top Bottom