• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS Control Schemes

Are people still thinking that the block command on the Pro Controller is a left stick click? I see that down arrow meaning that you just hold down on the left stick to block, I could be wrong though.

There's plenty of gameplay footage of characters walking backwards and I think every hands-on report of people using pad controls has mentioned it's the left stick click.

Again, I think if we're vocal enough like we have been with Mario Kart 8's "Highlight Video should be swapped with next race", Splatoon's various fixes to Splatfest, and Breath of the Wild adding dual audio, Nintendo should acknowledge the issues in patches.

Edit: Top of the page hype.

Yeah, I totally expected motion controls to be the best way of playing this game (and they actually do work great).

The left stick click to block for standard controllers is really baffling, though.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Looking forward to Slapamandering the shit out of the traditional control luddites on 6/16.

Totakeke

Non-motion control schemes are crappy.
No ZR, ZL?
No bending?
Pressing the left stick to guard?
What.

ZR and ZL are most likely mapped to punches based on impressions so far, they just didn't list it or didn't want to list punches twice. Not sure what you mean by bending though.

Z3M0G

I need to look more closely, but has Nintendo gotten people excited about a "waggle" game again? I didn't think that would be possible. But if the game has a lot of depth, it would deserve it.

But this comes off to me as more "waggle" than "motion control".

Totakeke

Curving punches?

Assuming the reddit thread impressions are precise, for non-motion controls, you just tilt the analog stick one direction and then press punch. Then that punch will tilt in the direction of the analog stick. Regardless of what input method you use, you always have to interrupt your movement for your punches anyway.

ASIS

I need to look more closely, but has Nintendo gotten people excited about a "waggle" game again? I didn't think that would be possible. But if the game has a lot of depth, it would deserve it.

You really need to look more closely then. It's been a looooong time since the last game that used waggle as an input gesture.

molnizzle

Assuming the reddit thread impressions are precise, for non-motion controls, you just tilt the analog stick one direction and then press punch. Then that punch will tilt in the direction of the analog stick. Regardless of what input method you use, you always have to interrupt your movement for your punches anyway.

But can't you move and curve an already thrown punch at the same time with motion controls? That would be a huge advantage.

Totakeke

But can't you move and curve an already thrown punch at the same time with motion controls? That would be a huge advantage.

That's to be settled, but I think it's highly likely that you can't. It just makes everything a lot more complicated.

If you can always control your punches and move at the same time, won't your punches always move in the same direction as where you're moving?

molnizzle

That's to be settled, but I think it's highly likely that you can't. It just makes everything a lot more complicated.

If you can always control your punches and move at the same time, won't your punches always move in the same direction as where you're moving?

If you have to use the same stick to curve them, yes. That's kind of the point here. Motion control people would be able to move in an opposite direction and still curve their punches however they want. Traditional control people would be fucked. Meanwhile, the right analog stick of the Pro controller is completely unused.

MDave

"Waggle" as in shaking the controller to make the character do an action? Like Link attacking with his sword in Wii Twilight Princess? Or doing the moves in DKCR?

Totakeke

If you have to use the same stick to curve them, yes. That's kind of the point here. Motion control people would be able to move in an opposite direction and still curve their punches however they want. Traditional control people would be fucked. All while the right analog stick of the Pro controller is completely unused.

No, you can't with motion controls either. Think about it. You need to tilt both joycons to move in one direction. How do you control your punches while moving unless it's also in the same direction as where you're moving?

I've played Breath of the Wild and Mario Kart 8. Both have quirks in their control schemes that if I were allowed to remap certain actions it would be perfect. I don't get why they don't allow customization. Jumping with X in any game just feels bad to me.

udivision

If you have to use the same stick to curve them, yes. That's kind of the point here. Motion control people would be able to move in an opposite direction and still curve their punches however they want. Traditional control people would be fucked. Meanwhile, the right analog stick of the Pro controller is completely unused.
How would you move in one way and curve in the other with motion controls?

I never really thought about that but kind of assumed it.

What is your basis for this? When have you seen any example of waggle?

Regiruler

Here's a simple idea: just map the sticks to mimic the motion.

Under normal circumstances, the left stick controls your movement. Alternatively, you could require both sticks be moved in order for people to get used to moving via the right stick (as an option).

If punching with the left, the left stick's horizontal movement controls the left arm. The right stick controls your movement.

If punching with the right, the left still controls your movement. Right controls your right hand curve.

If your punching with both, there's no way with motion to move, therefore both sticks are occupied.

Alternatively just use gyro, but disable movement as appropriate for parity.

I don't know why some teams are so obstinate about allowing you customize your controls. This is one Miyamotoism that I consistently hate.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Seeing all these non-motion schemes reignited my interest. Initially, the reveal video with motion controls made it a hard pass.

Is it true that blocking is the only way to charge your arms? I've seen that said in this thread but I don't know if it's quite true. It seems like they charge on their own whenever you're not punching but I am probably wrong.

Hexer06

Wow... those don't seem that great. Really wish we could just map the buttons ourselves. Would love the left and right punches to be on the triggers instead. Also, clicking in LS to Guard is pretty crap. Ah well :/

Edit: Okay, I guess you can use the Triggers. Don't know why they wouldn't include that in the pics though.

Mory Dunz

Ok, so you can curl your punches with traditional controls. but it interrupts movement. Still don't know why it's not mapped to R stick. It's not like every scheme is equal as it stands.

The other issue is blocking. Clicking is absolutely a horrible idea. hopefully things can be edited.

Xater

Peléo;237769899 said:
Seems pretty bad. Even with Pro-Controller. Also no mention to how curving works. This, in my opinion, would work better:

Analog: Move
A: Dash
X: Jump
Y: Guard
B: Special
R: Right Punch / Curve Right Punch in
L: Left Punch / Curve Left Punch in
ZR: Right Punch / Curve Right Punch out
ZL: Left Punch / Curve Left Punch out

This makes way more sense than whatever Nintendo came up with.

Totakeke

This makes way more sense than whatever Nintendo came up with.

As with most suggestions, it makes assumption of how the game plays and usually falls apart upon closer examination.

That scheme would have to either assume that there are only three possible directions for punches (hard left/straight/hard right) and nothing in between or that you guide punches after they're thrown which makes it a very different control scheme than motion controls.

Can't curve punches and guard is a analog stick button instead of the perfectly usable L button while in handheld mode. What in the almighty fuck.

This may honesly make me not get the game. Especially the analog buttons. I hate those, but using them sparringly is alright if I have to...but for guarding? Just please stop.

Thankfully theres a demo and I hope so much I can get into the demo since I want to buy this game so much but if I don't like the controls, I won't get it since its a online fighter I'd play for years I want it to be an enjoyable experience.

Mory Dunz

Can't curve punches and guard is a analog stick button instead of the perfectly usable L button while in handheld mode. What in the almighty fuck.

This may honesly make me not get the game. Especially the analog buttons. I hate those, but using them sparringly is alright if I have to...but for guarding? Just please stop.

Thankfully theres a demo and I hope so much I can get into the demo since I want to buy this game so much but if I don't like the controls, I won't get it since its a online fighter I'd play for years I want it to be an enjoyable experience.

you can curve punches. just not nearly as well it sounds.
maybe OP needs updating.

Takat

Why do games not allow you to map the control to whatever you want? I mean, it makes so much sense and I don't think it should be hard programing wise.

I'll play with motion, if I get it, I will wait for more SP content.

EulaCapra

I just saw a split-screen vid with 4 players/2 vs 2 who were all controller confirming with a pair of split Joycons.

I don't know why it took me this long for confirmation that Switch can handle 8 separate Joycons/players on one console. I didn't even know Bomberman supported this. Mario Party 11 with 8-Player mode or bust.

Giga Man

Do we know if we can freely customize controls? I do not like the idea of pressing in a control stick to guard (or do anything, really). The L button is completely unoccupied, a perfect button for guarding.

KooopaKid

Banned

I see. Interesting.

Haines

Banned
I heard some murmurs that motion controls will be the best?

I kind of hope not. I don't want to have to buy 2 more joy cons already.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Pro Controller:

B= Left Punch
A = Right Punch
A+B = Grab
Left Stick = Move
Left Stick (Press) = Guard
Y = Dash
X = Jump
R = Rush
Up = Change Target

I didn't think to look at whether or not you can change the controls during the Testpunch, but having the left stick control character movement, punch curving and guarding kind of sucks.

Hopefully you can map the actions to other buttons.

groansey

Why oh why can't we get a control scheme with movement on a stick and punch+guard tied to motion.

Tilt movement doesn't work for me at all. Hate it.

Top Bottom