• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS is about to outsell SFV. Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zukkoyaki

- SFV launched in a pretty sad state which hurt legs
- Arms is a new IP which helped generate buzz
- Arms is a major release within the first months of a new console which generated buzz
- Arms is a Nintendo first party game which generates instant buzz

Shin

Banned
Careful, I often get shouted down for this opinion when folks interpret it as me saying "SWITCH HAS NO GAEMZ"

In this case it is somewhat true though and there's nothing wrong with that it's a new console after all.
Every game is selling well because of that and the other part of it is portability I reckon, win/win IMO.

selo

What's your agenda, OP?

As a street fighter fan (since 2) its very disheartening, but I would say very well deserved that SFV is doing terrible, its a pretty bad game. Sad thing is that I don't believe CAPCOM learned the real lesson with this game(there was a very good gamespot article on this subject).

Sad times for SFV fans, but good times for general FG as there is luckily a ton more and better games out there right now (T7, KOF14)

As for ARMS its a good first entry in a new franchise. Hopefully the sales will justify a sequel with further intricacies and more strategizing, as this first one is a bit shallow.

Ploid 3.0

To people that SFV is available to there are far far more options of great games to play. More fighting games, more shooter games (which someone described arms as and made me think it probably would be an amazing experiment), and just more things to try. Arms is in a good position for the first year of a platform. Street Fighter 2 on Switch did great as well because of the game pool. 1-2 Switch did insanely well also.

Edit: Oops my bad

But yeah, nice surprise. ARMS is definitely... different and exciting. That said, while I own SFV, I haven't delved too deep into it yet, so can't really comment on its quality.

tribal24

Banned
Nintendo.

A little less provocative version:

ARMS is a new game on a brand new and popular console that doesn't have a large library of the game or busy schedule of releases yet.

Do we really need to explain this?

Correct both games are exactly the same on release, single player content sucks and multilayer is where it's at.

Exile20

SFV still looks more fun/interesting, could be that Switch is new and lacking games that everything is selling well?

Why do we have to go this low. This is the reason why this would get locked.

Anyway, I think Arms is just the new hotness on a new hotness console. It was bound to do well.

Good stuff to nintendo.

This is good for ARMS and always good to have more fighting game franchises. ARMS would have to continually sell though it could take a while if it doesn't have staying power. ARMS is really good and im having a ton of fun with it. SFV shipped with more content than ARMS though.

Mik317

I don;t particularly like SFV but come on man.... casual stuff outselling "hardcore" stuff isn't exactly groundbreaking news. It doesn't help that SFV constantly shat the bed out the gate with many of its issues still believed to exist despite being fixed a while ago...some people still think the rootkit still exists FFS. SFV had an awful start and no ammount of fixing will bring the casual market back into the fold....which is unfortunate but its the bed Capcom made and thus they are going to try to keep afloat by catering to the audience and whales that is still sticking around for better or for worse.

Arms on the other hand, is on console starving for new games, got pushed by a lot of youtubers, is popular in the fan art realm (quietly becoming an important way of advertising actually lol) and is easy to pick up with enough depth to keep it interesting...and most importantly didn't have the constant bad news storm that SFV (and now MVCI) has had. Capcom botched the fuck out of SFV's launch and the game will never truly recover from that, ARMS never really had any setbacks IIRC. Also a factor is that SFV isn't the only FG in town....

Neiteio

ARMS is so good. Easy to learn, but difficult to master. Anyone can jump in and have a good time, but the skill ceiling is pretty much limitless. Ranked Mode can be very humbling!

Nintendo.

ARMS is a new game on a brand new and popular console that doesn't have a large library of the game or busy schedule of releases yet.

So can we get rid of this narrative of PS4 being the system that can sell anything because it has a 60 million plus user base?

- SFV launched in a pretty sad state which hurt legs
- Arms is a new IP which helped generate buzz
- Arms is a major release within the first months of a new console which generated buzz
- Arms is a Nintendo first party game which generates instant buzz

I too remember when Codename: Steam and The Wonderful 101 sold over a million...

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
^Those games also launched on a console that some ppl thought was an add on for the Wii....

ITT: Casual games outsell Hardcore ones

who knew

Nintendo.

I'll take these answers for $200 Alex.

Any overuse of those damn pop gaf gifs, there will be hell to pay.

Good, I'm not alone.

It was the gif, wasn't it?

lol

LordKasual

Banned

I mean...the logic is sound

like, what else ARE you going to buy on Switch right now?

1-2 Switch? Bomberman? Everyone already has Zelda....

i don't see how this is a negative thing. ARMS is the first real Switch exclusive, you can't play anything like it on any other platform.

Ecliptor

Because

twin.png

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
On a serious note, a lot of FGC people have made it clear they do not like the game. If you think GAF craps on the game too much do not look at tournament stream chats.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
A piss poor Street Fighter entry that was missing the most common modes.

Why is it not selling well?

Really? Is it rocket science?

A great history guarantees nothing.

So can we get rid of this narrative of PS4 being the system that can sell anything because it has a 60 million plus user base?
So as long as people get rid of the narrative that games are only selling well on the Switch because there's nothing else to play. I mean, both are wrong and don't really make much sense as the product has to be appealing in some way for people to actually buy it

meppi

I love fighting games. Already have 5 of them on my PS4 and I'm planning on getting a several more, yet I haven't bought Street Fighter V and even though I see it all the time for 20€, I'm not planning on pulling the trigger anytime soon.

Everything from the messy launch to the missing modes, the season passes as well as the questionable in game currency to unlock things have kept me sceptical.
If there's ever an ultimate edition with everything on one disc, I'll pick it up. As long as it's 30€ or under.

That being said, I had little to no interest in ARM till the test version came online.
After an hour of play I was sold and bought the game the day it was released.
Even though Splatoon has taken up all of my competitive game time, I still have no regret whatsoever to having paid full price for it.
It's super polished, original and tons of fun. So yeah...

Kthulhu

It's because Capcom released an unfinished product.

ARMS has the benefit of being a launch window game and a simple control scheme and mechanics that anyone can learn.

Instro

I don't think there is one reason to pin down. SFV had a miserable launch surrounded by bad word of mouth, and underwhelming reviews from press and players. Comparatively, ARMS is a brand new Nintendo IP, completely unique, and launched on a platform that has only a handful of games to choose from.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I mean...the logic is sound

like, what else ARE you going to buy on Switch right now?

1-2 Switch? Bomberman? Everyone already has Zelda....

i don't see how this is a negative thing. ARMS is the first real Switch exclusive, you can't play anything like it on any other platform.
Please tell me your joking

Peltz

ARMS is so good. Easy to learn, but difficult to master. Anyone can jump in and have a good time, but the skill ceiling is pretty much limitless. Ranked Mode can be very humbling!

Heck, Grand Prix mode can be very humbling too.

And I agree with you on the skill ceiling. There's miles and miles of strategies to explore in this game.

kikiribu

Mods don't lock obvious flamebait threads on this site? Yikes.

SFV is a hardcore game.
ARMS is a new game on a new system that everyone is trying to justify early adoption for, so they'll buy anything for it.

Shin

Banned

Nothing "low" about my comment, SFV does look more entertaining and it's the only fighting game I watch as part of eSports.
Switch is a new system - fact - and it has less games - fact -, everything is selling well - fact -, don't make it something it ain't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom