• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS is about to outsell SFV. Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordKasual

Banned
Please tell me your joking

I'm really not joking, why would you think im joking.

If you have a WiiU, you have access to:

-Mario Kart 8
-Breath of the WIld
-Splatoon 1, which isn't 2, but still is Splatoon

ARMS is the first significant title on the Switch that is truly an exclusive experience.

-Mario Kart 8
-Breath of the WIld

ARMS is the first significant title on the Switch that is truly an exclusive experience.
Snipperclips

LordRaptor

-Mario Kart 8
-Breath of the WIld

And as history shows, most people own a WiiU

13ruce

Banned
Smash has been outselling Street Fighter for years tho.

But hmmm Arms is a new like experience so i can see why it could outsell Street Fighter now. Capcom fucked up SFV alot on launch. It really hurt the IP quite a bit i think.

Zukkoyaki

I'll also chime in that Arms along with Zelda and Mario Kart were the first three significant retail releases for the Switch. No offense to other quality games like Puyo Puyo Tetris, Snipperclips, Bomberman and Shovel Knight, but they weren't pushed anywhere near as hard those the main three and they are all styles of games that aren't particular big.

Any overuse of those damn pop gaf gifs, there will be hell to pay.
Apologies if this is an inappropriate place to ask, but why are POPGAF gifs specifically an issue? Every stability thread is gifs galore, as are many OTs in both gaming and community.

It would be nice to have some clarity on this because it comes up a lot.

The quick answer is that it's easier to get into and is on a hot new console.

Competitive player retention matters more than sales in the FGC though. ARMS has not been around long enough for us to know how it will measure up, but being non-traditional isn't helping its chances of becoming mainstay, nor is its Switch exclusivity.

Time will tell.

Composer

It's what happens when you abandon the majority of your players. You know the people who just like to play versus with CPU and arcade mode? That stuff that was in every SF game from the beginning. It's like they have no idea what made them a living room success.

Rncewind

What is this op lol, pop gaf strikes again.

Anyways i think the main reason is SF V is banking on to being hardcore too much in a genre that is dying.

ARMS is something fresh and new, easier to get into and is on a system that is the new hotness for a lot of people.

Content doesn't have anything to do with it though. Both games launched in barebones states.

I mean regardless of what game we're talking about it's fairly obvious isn't it? More hype/better reviews = more sales

SFV had low hype, not enough marketing, and reviews were lukewarm

ARMS had that new Nintendo IP, new console hype and good reviews. Not that hard to understand IMO.

Delio

So as long as people get rid of the narrative that games are only selling well on the Switch because there's nothing else to play. I mean, both are wrong and don't really make much sense as the product has to be appealing in some way for people to actually buy it

That excuse of "People will buy anything that releases" will prob persist well into next year.

Neiteio

ARMS knocking out all expectations!

2017060220583101-412eyks6q.jpg

(Seriously, I'm just happy that a new IP in a niche genre is doing so well on a relatively new system.)

Mods don't lock obvious flamebait threads on this site? Yikes.
GAF is mature enough to discuss toy sales... I think

jennetics

ARMS is a brand new IP on a brand new console. People will buy games (especially new/interesting IPs) for a console, especially one that has fewer choices at the moment.

Not sure what's hard to believe about this, or why this thread is necessary.

I would guess it's because Arms is a better game during it's launch window when compared to how SFV launched and that's when a huge bulk of a games sales are made.

Shin

Banned
Anyways i think the main reason is SF V is banking on to being hardcore too much in a genre that is dying.

I don't agree with this, if anything we now have more fighting games than ever (assumption), looking what's out now and what's down the road.
They made some bad decisions with SFV but it doesn't make it less of a game, but those decisions did hurt it's sales and still are.

-Mario Kart 8
-Breath of the WIld

Splatoon 2 is better than 1 in every way. This logic is like discounting Halo 3 because halo 2 is on XBOX OG.

rhandino

Banned
Its a more appealing producto to a more broader base than SFV? Like, it's basically the same reason Tekken, Injustice, MK, Smash keeps outselling it.

Will be more fun when Dragon Ball FighterZ and that rumored LoL fighting game releases and disrupt the scene.

I, for one, am enjoying the amazing amount of incredible quality fighting game that are being released rn

#Pray4Capcom

Mods don't lock obvious flamebait threads on this site? Yikes.

Well, I've already argued that I'm suspicious of this thread and will probably lock it. However, I was willing to give a brief trial window to see where we land.

SFV is a hardcore game.
ARMS is a new game on a new system that everyone is trying to justify early adoption for, so they'll buy anything for it.

Oh, I see your game here. You picked up that offering shitty posts will expedite the process to lock the thread and have offered this. Well done sir!

The way people in this thread are trying to come up with excuses as to why ARMS outsold SFV in just a couple months.

The fact that ARMS already outsold SFV...which was released in February of last year and on PS4 AND PC.

Not sure which one of these is funnier.

It's funny how Arms is being called fresh and new and different, when before it was largely being described as weird and ugly and Wii sports boxing

Neoxon

I mean regardless of what game we're talking about it's fairly obvious isn't it? More hype/better reviews = more sales

SFV had low hype, not enough marketing, and reviews were lukewarm

ARMS had that new Nintendo IP, new console hype and good reviews. Not that hard to understand IMO.
SFV & ARMS both have a 77 on Metacritic.

molnizzle

The way people in this thread are trying to come up with excuses as to why ARMS outsold SFV in just a couple months.

The fact that ARMS already outsold SFV...which was released in February of last year and on PS4 AND PC.

Thing is, it still hasn't outsold SFV.

This thread might have a reason for existing if/when it does.

Sephzilla

.........but it hasnt

-Mario Kart 8

Both of which have a heavily depleted online player base ever since Deluxe and Splatoon 2 appeared and Miiverse is about to be shut down, which was a big part of the aesthetic in Splatoon 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom