• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

Stopdoor

Man it sucks to just go on a losing streak where you choke at the last moment every time.

Even had this Ranked Match where I accidentally picked Helix, never play him. Came back in the second round when I picked double Blorbs and messed with this really jumpy Ninjara.

But it was all for naught, I couldn't seal the deal on round 3. Shame.

Man fuck this game. I've played nothing but Master Mummy 1-on-100 for the last 4 hours and still haven't beaten it. I've cleared it with every other character in a quarter of the time I've spent on just him. Every time I'm pretty much perfect until I get to 80 and then all of a sudden the game is out for fucking blood. There's just too much shit to deal with at one time. If I dodge or jump there's a charged punch waiting for me on recovery 90% of the time. I get a barrage of charged retorcher and phoenix spam on wakeup every time, without fail, and when I block it I get grabbed from off screen half the time. The enemies always seem to end up on the far side of the map where they easily dodge my attacks and Mummy's lard ass isn't mobile enough to wade through the hailstorm of retorcher shots to close the gap without losing a quarter life bar in the process. And forget about healing in between rounds after 60 because the enemies immediately start spreading out flanking if you stand there and try to recover any appreciable ammout of health. The whole mode is just a living hell.

And now that I've ranted I'm going to go try to beat it again.

exfatal

I feel like this game pulls no punches when teaching you how to play, i can feel myself getting physically better with each of the mechanics i begin to grasp and training modes i conquer. Really good feeling. probably do to lack of button execution

Man fuck this game. I've played nothing but Master Mummy 1-on-100 for the last 4 hours and still haven't beaten it. I've cleared it with every other character in a quarter of the time I've spent on just him. Every time I'm pretty much perfect until I get to 80 and then all of a sudden the game is out for fucking blood. There's just too much shit to deal with at one time. If I dodge or jump there's a charged punch waiting for me on recovery 90% of the time. I get a barrage of charged retorcher and phoenix spam on wakeup every time, without fail, and when I block it I get grabbed from off screen half the time. The enemies always seem to end up on the far side of the map where they easily dodge my attacks and Mummy's lard ass isn't mobile enough to wade through the hailstorm of retorcher shots to close the gap without losing a quarter life bar in the process. And forget about healing in between rounds after 60 because the enemies immediately start spreading out flanking if you stand there and try to recover any appreciable ammout of health. The whole mode is just a living hell.

And now that I've ranted I'm going to go try to beat it again.

Are you saving your rushes for the breaks at every ten? This lets you clear the board while standing in the healing circle, and you can still pick off a few enemies and come out ahead even if an unlucky flanking spawn pokes you out of the rush from behind. Usually the healing circle will spawn close enough to an edge, rather than dead centre (which would be a problem on Mummy's map anyway if the trampoline is open), that if you hurry into position the first 3-5 spawns that come up should all be within a reasonable cone of vision, allowing you to pull off the rush unimpeded.

Ninjara and Cobras are just menaces online. If the connection isn't strong enough they can just dodge endlessly and spam grabs and the connection isn't good enough over WiFi that the grabs are immune to punches or teleporting through.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
For those of you who use motion controls do you find standing up makes it more natural feeling?

Ogodei

Up to rank 9 now, will try to shoot for rank 10 tonight. Dead center would be a good stopping place (Splatoon comes tomorrow! Plus i'm busy Friday and Saturday anyway...)

Did the first 4 ranks with Byte and Barq, 4-6 with Mechanica, 6-8 with Ninjara, 8-9 with Min Min, and close with Twintelle.

Though i'm starting to develop a common strategy with basically everyone except for Master Mummy and Twintelle (the former too slow and requires more defensive play than i roll with otherwise, and the latter because her default loadout is so great).

Trying to find the right loadout for Max on the side.

Good god almighty, I've done it. The turning point was finally unlocking the Cracker for Master Mummy. I did double Crackers and was able to kill most of the enemies before they could do a damn thing.

1Yis5lz.jpg

Finally, the god forsaken 1-on-100 medal on my stats screen:

Now I have to beat Grand Prix on level 4 with everyone.

Good god almighty, I've done it. The turning point was finally unlocking the Cracker for Master Mummy. I did double Crackers and was able to kill most of the enemies before they could do a damn thing.

Finally, the god forsaken 1-on-100 medal on my stats screen:

Now I have to beat Grand Prix on level 4 with everyone.

Congratulations. Great time, too. I hadn't even noticed the medals on the stats screen; do you know what the one above 1-on-100 is for? From the icon I assume it's GP, but it's not for clearing it on 4 and up with everyone, or I would already have it. 7, maybe?

Patch13

For those of you who use motion controls do you find standing up makes it more natural feeling?

I tend to stand when I play motion, partially because I'm just trying to sit less in my life in general.

I did end up playing a few rounds during lunch today while sitting in my office chair, with the Switch perched on my desk ... and it actually worked well. You can punch with smaller, more delicate movements, and it still feels good.

(Note that I did try something similar a month or so ago, and ran into issues with the screen size being too small when not held in my hands; I think that I'm more familiar with the game now, and able to read it better, even on a small screen.)

Congratulations. Great time, too. I hadn't even noticed the medals on the stats screen; do you know what the one above 1-on-100 is for? From the icon I assume it's GP, but it's not for clearing it on 4 and up with everyone, or I would already have it. 7, maybe?

Thanks! Saving my rush attack for the healing ring like you suggested helped also, I think I was too quick to use it mid-round once I started taking damage.

I thought the other medal was for clearing GP on at least rank 4 so you get the true boss and credit roll...are you sure you beat it with everyone? Even Max Brass? God help me if it has to be on rank 7.

EDIT: According to reddit you have to beat it with everyone on rank 7. Ugghh...

Does somebody like this game, and didn't liked or dig any fighting games, before? Visually ARMS of course appeals to me, music is amazing, too. And characters are as crazy as only Nintendo could make them.
Basically, the only thing I am afraid of is a genre (although it has MK vibes).

ksamedi

Does somebody like this game, and didn't liked or dig any fighting games, before? Visually ARMS of course appeals to me, music is amazing, too. And characters are as crazy as only Nintendo could make them.

What do you not like about fighting games ? Is it the combos or movesets?

What makes this fighting game different from almost all other fighting games for me is that you don't actually need to have someone sitting next to you to enjoy it. As a grown-up with a little time for video games and even less time to play them with friends, That's huge for me.

Any early word on plans for the next DLC drop?

Only a guess, but with Splatoon 2 coming out Friday I feel like they'll probably give it at least 2-4 weeks to breathe before releasing any new updates for ARMS. Long term, I can see them alternating major updates between the two games.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Getting this most likely tonight. Any tips for a complete newbie going in who's really looking to master the motion controls?

TheMoon

Getting this most likely tonight. Any tips for a complete newbie going in who's really looking to master the motion controls?

Don't hesitate to try practice modes/score attack modes without AI to just slowly punch and see how your movement translates into punches. Don't storm off into matches and flail aimlessly :)

What do you not like about fighting games ? Is it the combos or movesets?

Combos. I really don't have time to memorize all sequences or correct button input.I'd like to jump right into the game and have fun, even if I am loosing, but not due to my lack of time, but simply because I have try another set, and read my opponent better.

I am asking all these silly questions because I can afford only one game a month, and as we all know, yesterday was the premiere of Splatoon 2. Now I have to choose :<

Combos. I really don't have time to memorize all sequences or correct button input.I'd like to jump right into the game and have fun, even if I am loosing, but not due to my lack of time, but simply because I have try another set, and read my opponent better.

I am asking all these silly questions because I can afford only one game a month, and as we all know, yesterday was the premiere of Splatoon 2. Now I have to choose :<
This sounds perfect for you, then. There really aren't any combos to speak of. It's mainly about reading your opponent and reacting.

Chauzu

You might like ARMS then. It's all about spacing, timing, loadout, movement and experience. I feel like I get better for every sitting, and I don't practise in between. I just keep picking up on stuff from different opponents, I learn to use my arms better, I learn to move and space better, I get more mixups I can use to not get predictable, and so on. I'm beating higher and higher ranked opponents and climbing the ranks. It's a good feeling!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
This game really is the evolution of the Punch Out series. It feels soooo rewarding when you make those reads and learn mid-match and beat an opponent.

That said: if I had to choose between this or Splatoon 2, I'd go Splatoon... it has so much more content and "things" to do. It makes ARMS not feel like a $59.99 product, rather a $49.99 is the perfect point. And I really like ARMS a lot, but what people have been complaining about a "lack of content", it's true compared to Splatoon.

luulubuu

Do you guys think this game is worth full price? I got BOTW and Splatoon 2 already and I'm intrigued by this game but I don't know if it has enough content for full price

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Do you guys think this game is worth full price? I got BOTW and Splatoon 2 already and I'm intrigued by this game but I don't know if it has enough content for full price
I played it 25 hours already, it's my favorite Nintendo game in years. For the context I loved the Dreamcast, arcade games, and I feel like this game was made for me.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican

It's a tough call. I think it is. I think if you have ever enjoyed the Punch-Out!! series on NES, SNES, or Wii, then I don't know how you could not enjoy this game. That's the closest game that I can relate this to. I love it, Ranked mode is the most fun I've had in a fighting game in years.

I mean it's a tough call when you compare this full price to something like Injustice 2 or Tekken 7, or another fighting game with a ton of unlockables and modes. This has unlockable stuff and different modes, but just not as much as those for the same price.

Ducktail

If you have people to play locally, then yes. Absolutely great party game.

Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend it as the single player content is thin and online gets tiring soon. I'd much rather play Mario Kart online.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
If you have people to play locally, then yes. Absolutely great party game.

Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend it as the single player content is thin and online gets tiring soon. I'd much rather play Mario Kart online.

This a good recommendation. The game definitely has longer legs if you can play locally. 1v1 locally is a ton of fun for everyone, even if they suck. My 5 year old is fun to play with, just to practice dodging her moves and learning other characters.

This sounds perfect for you, then. There really aren't any combos to speak of. It's mainly about reading your opponent and reacting.

You might like ARMS then. It's all about spacing, timing, loadout, movement and experience. I feel like I get better for every sitting, and I don't practise in between. I just keep picking up on stuff from different opponents, I learn to use my arms better, I learn to move and space better, I get more mixups I can use to not get predictable, and so on. I'm beating higher and higher ranked opponents and climbing the ranks. It's a good feeling!

Great! Than I'll buy it around September with new pair of Joy Cons :)

Apenheul

In additon to what others already said, my favorite way of playing ARMS is actually local co-op 2 player Grand Prix, so that's another way of enjoying the game. I think I (only) put about 15 hours into the game since its release but I personally feel it was worth full price to me.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member

If you have someone to play locally with, absolutely.

Otherwise, probably not.

Codiox

If you have someone to play locally with, absolutely.

Otherwise, probably not.

Hmm I would like to get it for online only. Is the online already dead? I don't have anyone local who would play this with me. Also this looked like it's made for online.

RRockman

Banned
Lol no. I still make time for ARMS and I've seen Gore on as well. Coming back to it after a splatoon binge felt like I was coming home.

It's still just as fast to get in a match online as it was at launch too.

So is this game dead? Or does everybody from this OT plays Splatoon lol

Nah, I'm still up in this and have no trouble finding matches.

Splatoon 2 pissed me off with closing off Salmon Run. I get to play video games for like 30 minutes every other night. Why are you gonna close off the mode I was most looking forward to playing?

Neiteio

I played it 25 hours already, it's my favorite Nintendo game in years. For the context I loved the Dreamcast, arcade games, and I feel like this game was made for me.
ARMS does feel very Dreamcast-esque. So does Splatoon 2. Also, it's a stretch, but there are some courses in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe that have the blue skies of Sega arcade racers (i.e. Cheep Cheep Beach).

Some good vibes these games are channeling.

Top Bottom