• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

derFeef

I just ordered it, I already have Splatoon 2 and this will add to my casual, short-burst fun! Really getting into Nintendo games now.
Plus got a second pair of joycons and the battery pack :) Prepared!

Feltrol

Banned
Just got a Switch and this game! I tried playing it with the joycons, but boy -- I do suck with them. Any recommendations for me, GAF? I don't want to stick playing it with a PRO controller.

bonesquad

While I prefer Splatoon overall, Arms has this revolutionary feature that lets you play with a friend in basically any mode at any time. Hopefully more games will implement this cool idea.

While I prefer Splatoon overall, Arms has this revolutionary feature that lets you play with a friend in basically any mode at any time. Hopefully more games will implement this cool idea.

That being said, how is Grand Prix at 2p? I've only played VS locally not even thinking about trying that mode multiplayer.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
That being said, how is Grand Prix at 2p? I've only played VS locally not even thinking about trying that mode multiplayer.
It's basically party mode offline. So it's good if you can't do 2 player party.

Man the game should reward you somehow when this happens:

20374375_10103358175616285_6063392426439077366_n.jpg

I landed a throw followed by a rush to win while hanging on by the magic 1 pixel of health!

I got like 5 errors trying to queue ranked matches tonight.

Anyone else having issues?

Edit:

Hmmm can't queue anything, error code 2306-0112.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Improving slightly with reads, but still a long ways off from being decent. I'm digging dual Slapamanders.

Weird I cannot connect to any Nintendo online game. Hmmmm.

Edit:

Oh it's down. Switch was saying it was up, but I kept getting errors. Went to site just now though and its down.

moeman

Just bought this game and I'm not gonna be able to play it for a few weeks. Feel like I'm already too late to the party and everyone is going to be too good online :(

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Just bought this game and I'm not gonna be able to play it for a few weeks. Feel like I'm already too late to the party and everyone is going to be too good online :(

I'll play tonight and teach you the ropes on the Discord channel if you're interested. This is such a fun game!

Edit, I can't read! In a few weeks I'll jump online with you!

Ducktail

I only play randoms in party mode... but they sure aren't getting any better. I feel like there are many new players with motion controls who basically just stand there.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I only play randoms in party mode... but they sure aren't getting any better. I feel like there are many new players with motion controls who basically just stand there.

I let my two daughters play party mode... And yeah they just stand still and punch and love it! Sorry if that ruins your experience lol, at least I don't let them touch Ranked in ARMS and Salmon mode in Splatoon since I know people are serious there.

Ducktail

I let my two daughters play party mode... And yeah they just stand still and punch and love it! Sorry if that ruins your experience lol, at least I don't let them touch Ranked in ARMS and Salmon mode in Splatoon since I know people are serious there.

It doesn't ruin my experience at all! I was basically just replying to someone who said it might be too late to jump into the game at this point.

I feel like since there's this motion control excitement for casual players, many of them will get on party mode and well.. just suck. Which is okay for me, since I'm not that good to begin with.

Big Nikus

A friend of mine is coming for a few days, and I wanted to buy ARMS for the occasion but I don't have the money to afford a second pair of joy-cons or a pro controller. Would it be enjoyable with these things to hold the joy-cons ? > https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B072BNFM1P/
When I'll play alone I intend to play with motion controls though.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
A friend of mine is coming for a few days, and I wanted to buy ARMS for the occasion but I don't have the money to afford a second pair of joy-cons or a pro controller. Would it be enjoyable with these things to hold the joy-cons ? > https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B072BNFM1P/
When I'll play alone I intend to play with motion controls though.

I have these, they're great. High recommend when playing anything with a single Joycon.

... This game needs a patch that gives you like +10 Fight Coins per fight or something. I love this game and want to unlock more Arms, but it's such a slow burn.

TheMoon

holy shit I finally beat rank 4 grand prix

EDIT: Ok, but there does really need to be a penalty for quitting in ranked, for real

There isn't? They fuck you over with points if there's a disconnect in Mario Kart (=you default to last place and lose the maximum points) and do nothing here?

Zedark

I have to say, this game really is great! I find myself coming back to it for short multiplayer ranked sessions, like 20-30 minutes, almost every day now, and it's always great fun, winning or losing streak doesn't even matter.

It really feels like an evergreen title for me, a game I will come back to for months and probably years just to play a quick session every couple of days. What do you guys think? Do you play it in short bursts like I do or do you prefer longer sessions where you get your rank up (or down!) a couple of levels?

TheMoon

The continued presence of Ninjara grabbers really annoys me. Hadn't played in a few weeks due to real life commitments and getting back into it now seeing the same tired crap ...sigh.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I have to say, this game really is great! I find myself coming back to it for short multiplayer ranked sessions, like 20-30 minutes, almost every day now, and it's always great fun, winning or losing streak doesn't even matter.

It really feels like an evergreen title for me, a game I will come back to for months and probably years just to play a quick session ever copleiding of days. What do you guys think? Do you play it in short bursts like I do or do you prefer longer sessions where you get your rank up (or down!) a couple of levels?

I feel like this is going to be an evergreen title for me too, I'm glad I have it digitally. I usually play in a short 20-30 minute sessions, of Party Mode and Ranked. Both are so much fun in very different ways. I love earning new Arms and trying them out, but I wish I unlocked them faster. 1v100 is also fun and so is Arms Test. Whenever I start to feel frustrated about losing, I switch the game over to something else, like Splatoon. That way I never leave an Arms session angry and ready to come back later!

The continued presence of Ninjara grabbers really annoys me. Hadn't played in a few weeks due to real life commitments and getting back into it now seeing the same tired crap ...sigh.

Are you winning... or losing? I'm only in Rank 8 and I feel like I see a diversity of characters in Ranked and strategies, especially more in Party Mode.

TheMoon

Are you winning... or losing? I'm only in Rank 8 and I feel like I see a diversity of characters in Ranked and strategies, especially more in Party Mode.

I've played for less than half an hour this morning trying to get back into the groove. It's not a useful metric, just got super annoyed by cheap grab-spam.

moeman

I'll play tonight and teach you the ropes on the Discord channel if you're interested. This is such a fun game!

Edit, I can't read! In a few weeks I'll jump online with you!

Added you on switch! I might hop on ARMS once or twice before my exam in two weeks.

Btw it's nice to see another Austinite on GAF :)

Durden77

So did Max Brass just turn out being a better version of Spring Man? I'm playing him now and he kind of seems like it. Not quite as nimble but still is.

TheMoon

Hungry for the next content announcement. Feel like Splatoon 2 has already gotten more in it's relatively smaller release window.

Yea they should communicate a bit more frequently. Even if it is just teases without straight up saying "this thing is coming next."

I think what this game needs more than anything is a really good tutorial mode. Maybe I need to go back and work with what was there, but I don't feel like it did a good enough job of helping me understand certain things. Could be much better, especially for such a novel game.

Peltz

Any tips for rank 3 twintelle? She's destroying me as spring man in the semi final of his Grand Prix.

Play defensively. Don't let her hit you. Choose your shots wisely.

Stay on the ground as much as possible - jumping leaves you vulnerable.

Keep jabbing with 1 arm only. For the most part, you'll be able to dodge as long as both arms aren't extended.

Keep the pressure with the same arm. A lot of newbs don't do this. The other arm should be used in an unpredictable way to catch your opponent off-guard. And throws should only be used very VERY sparingly.

So a typical fight should have this sort of rhythm: right arm, right arm, *dodge*, right arm. Pay attention to how they dodge the right arm.

Then attack again: right arm, right arm, (watch where they dodge), then catch them with a surprise left. Basically, keep circling around, throwing a jab and always in such a way that you have a means of escape.

If you have a big character with slow/powerful arms, you want to try an corner the opponent and punch through your opponent's attacks rather than try to dodge them. If you have a small character with faster arms, you want to play more of a distance game and keep out of the corners. No matter what, always be ready to throw a jab. It prevents you from getting thrown. Also, don't be afraid to block if you do get cornered. But blocking is always secondary to dodging or canceling out your opponent's attack.

When it comes to Twintelle, don't throw a punch when she's freezing time in midair. Wait and time it instead so that your punch reaches her right when she lands.

By the way, there's definitely a learning curve to this game. I could barely beat Level 4 Grand Prix when I started, and now I'm wrecking level 6.

So did Max Brass just turn out being a better version of Spring Man? I'm playing him now and he kind of seems like it. Not quite as nimble but still is.

He's basically a slower Springman.

I think what this game needs more than anything is a really good tutorial mode. Maybe I need to go back and work with what was there, but I don't feel like it did a good enough job of helping me understand certain things. Could be much better, especially for such a novel game.

Some weapons stats would be useful.

derFeef

Ouff this game is hard. Started Grand Prix at level 4 thinking it might be the middle ground, but wow I could not even beat the first enemy. On level 3 nope. On level 2 close but nope. And 1 it's kinda too easy? Anyway I really like the presentation and jam of this game. But wow does it not explain anything. Also have not found a character for me yet...

Ouff this game is hard. Started Grand Prix at level 4 thinking it might be the middle ground, but wow I could not even beat the first enemy. On level 3 nope. On level 2 close but nope. And 1 it's kinda too easy? Anyway I really like the presentation and jam of this game. But wow does it not explain anything. Also have not found a character for me yet...

They do have easy to read and understand tips for moves etc in help?

Just started playing it myself and yes it is hard but damn this game makes me motivated to learn. Loving the controls everything about it actually.

If it remains as great as my first impressions this will be my favorite new IP in years.

ARMS GAF, I reach out for help.

If you could be brief, what would you say are the most essential tips in order to be decent at this game?

My win percentage is like 37% and I rarely win without some type of handicap in place. Hilarious, I know, but I genuinely want to get better. And I'd prefer to keep using motion controls.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
ARMS GAF, I reach out for help.

If you could be brief, what would you say are the most essential tips in order to be decent at this game?

My win percentage is like 37% and I rarely win without some type of handicap in place. Hilarious, I know, but I genuinely want to get better. And I'd prefer to keep using motion controls.
Check out question II here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=241267668&postcount=3801

You are deeefinitely not intended to start at level 4, hehe.

It takes time and gradual adjustment to improve, but when it clicks it's really a great feeling of personal accomplishment. It's easy to sort of muddle through without ever getting the basics.

I suggest trying GP2 with Spring Man and double toasters just to really ensure you get the raw controls and tactical options. Then once you have decided on a character and Arms you like, try 1vs100 mode to train with them specifically.

I use motion controls exclusively- at first GP4 was a completely humbling experience with multiple tries per fight and now I can essentially dominate with all characters at that difficulty and score a few perfects with my best. However, GP6 remains hugely challenging to me even now.

Fuck Hedlok on GP7. Every time I get his energy down he just spams power shots, making it impossible for me to lay a glove on him. Fucking cheating CPU...

Check out question II here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=241267668&postcount=3801

You are deeefinitely not intended to start at level 4, hehe.

It takes time and gradual adjustment to improve, but when it clicks it's really a great feeling of personal accomplishment. It's easy to sort of muddle through without ever getting the basics.

I suggest trying GP2 with Spring Man and double toasters just to really ensure you get the raw controls and tactical options. Then once you have decided on a character and Arms you like, try 1vs100 mode to train with them specifically.

I use motion controls exclusively- at first GP4 was a completely humbling experience with multiple tries per fight and now I can essentially dominate with all characters at that difficulty and score a few perfects with my best. However, GP6 remains hugely challenging to me even now.

Cool, thanks. Great FAQ.

Does anyone have any tips for defeating Hedlock on GP7? I'm using spring man with sparky and triblast. I've spent several hours and probably around 50 rounds trying to defeat the cheating bastard. I can win the odd round but basically he just spam attacks when his energy is low and you can't get out of the way. It doesn't feel fair and has actually turned me off the game somewhat because it's too difficult. I lost a few times on GP6 but this is another level of bullshit.

I made it to level 10 in ranked. Feels good and I'm really hitting the wall now. I need to practice for every inch of that meter now.

For B&B players: how do you consistently get on top of Barq? I don't get it. I went up against a player online that was nearly impossible to hit because he kept consistently bouncing off him and I just couldn't get them because of the vertical game he was playing. Not to mention, they had a megaton arm so they went through lots of what could have been heading their way. Every time I try and get on Barq he kind of slides away. Brutal!

Top Bottom