• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Army salaries per country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calantus

ElectricBlue187 said:
Well there's a few problems with your theory here.

3. The Army has only a few jobs percentage wise that will gain you real good employment in civilian life. Whereas the AF is in the cutting edge in communications and IT

While this is true, currently in the Air Force you can't choose a specific job like in the Army, you have to go into a field such as general or electronics and after you are at BMT they sit you down and help you choose a job. So it is not a guarantee to get the job you want or a job that will be useful in the outside world.

While with the Army you can sign your contract that states that you will get the MOS [job] that you want.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Calantus said:
While this is true, currently in the Air Force you can't choose a specific job like in the Army, you have to go into a field such as general or electronics and after you are at BMT they sit you down and help you choose a job. So it is not a guarantee to get the job you want or a job that will be useful in the outside world.

While with the Army you can sign your contract that states that you will get the MOS [job] that you want.

No. It is not true. Whatsoever.

theultimo

Yup, sounds about right. I make around 25k as a senior enlisted in the Army. Granted, housing and other entitlements bump it up to 59k.

Note: the Army has a ton of IT jobs. I am a 25B, which is an Information Systems Analyst. And for civillian jobs later, the Army will pay for A+, MOUS, and MCSE certifications, as its required at higher ranks.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Zozz said:
Yea, because nobody fucks with these guys

72473_lumberjack_commandos.jpg

Warhammer 2K

Calantus said:

Uh, no. When I was going to join, I specifically asked for Security Force and they gave it to me.

Dennis

Banned
pyRps.gif

Hey WanderingWind, are you in the Army now and if so, in what capacity?

I ask because I seem to remember you have mentioned being in marketing, or am I mistaken?

WanderingWind

DennisK4 said:
pyRps.gif

Hey WanderingWind, are you in the Army now and if so, in what capacity?

I ask because I seem to remember you have mentioned being in marketing, or am I mistaken?

I am a active duty Marine who works in marketing and public affairs and who has a bachelors in the same field. I also have degree in the culinary arts and worked as a chef for 10 years.

You, by the way, are the first to go "wait a minute..." Gold star for you! :D

WanderingWind said:
Oh, stop that shit.

...so only E-5 after 8 active and four reserve? What did you did, lil airman? :lol

you know you sound like a prick right?

I did my eight years, decided I wanted to be a private citizen making money based on corporate consumption/demand and got out....turned out they valued my skills so much they took my E-5 (SSgt) position and turned it into a federal position...so I make more, work less and still drill on the weekends because after 8 years of active military service, 12 years of being a reservist, I get my pension...

unlike the marine/army where you lose/gain rank based on how shiny your boots are...in the Air Force, rank is awarded by taking both the Skill exam based on your AFSC and the Professional Military Exam which only changes slightly every few years...while its a broken system, it is a system that awards rank based on knoweldge and capacity to formulate leadership based decisions...

not knocking other branches...I made E-5 at four and half years, you have to keep it on two years to test...testing for E-6 the month before I got out at 7 years 11 months and missed it by .0827 (I can show you the score sheet:D )

in the reserves, rank is based on positions....you can make E-7 in 6 years as long as the positions are there...

to each his own...I am grateful for everything I have and worked damn hard while active to learn everything about IT I could...

don't mean to stand on a soapbox but it seemed the post back was a little combative...

WanderingWind said:
I am a active duty Marine who works in marketing and public affairs and who has a bachelors in the same field. I also have degree in the culinary arts and worked as a chef for 10 years.

ah, so you were an MWR troop...haha...we have those in the Air Force...potato peelers...

but you got your degree and probably worked hard to get where you are...huh...maybe you should cut other posters some slack as well.... ^ ^

WanderingWind

Litflynt912 said:
Oh, stop that shit.

...so only E-5 after 8 active and four reserve? What did you did, lil airman? :lol

I did my eight years, decided I wanted to be a private citizen making money based on corporate consumption/demand and got it....turned out they valued my skills so much they took my E-5 (SSgt) position and turned it into a federal position...so I make more, work less and still drill on the weekends because after 8 years of active military service, 12 years of being a reservist, I get my pension...

to each his own...I am grateful for everything I have and worked damn hard while active to learn everything about IT I could...[/QUOTE]

Whoa. You totally took that the wrong way, bud. I even added a smilie and everything. Did not mean to sound like I was denigrating your time served or anything. My bad.

Let me try again. Only an E-5 after 8 years? Did you happen to punch out your tech sergeant or something rascally like that? Slow promoting MOS?

Litflynt912 said:
ah, so you were an MWR troop...haha...we have those in the Air Force...potato peelers...

but you got your degree and probably worked hard to get where you are...huh...maybe you should cut other posters some slack as well.... ^ ^

I have no idea what the first part of that means. But no, I am not a civilian or a "potato peeler."

Dennis

Banned
WanderingWind said:

I must say, thats quite the range of occupations there :lol

You can cook, sell and shoot!

Litflynt912 said:

I did my eight years, decided I wanted to be a private citizen making money based on corporate consumption/demand and got out....turned out they valued my skills so much they took my E-5 (SSgt) position and turned it into a federal position...so I make more, work less and still drill on the weekends because after 8 years of active military service, 12 years of being a reservist, I get my pension...

to each his own...I am grateful for everything I have and worked damn hard while active to learn everything about IT I could...

How did this happen? What was your job?

WanderingWind

DennisK4 said:
I must say, thats quite the range of occupations there :lol

You can cook, sell and shoot!

:lol Yeah. I had a mid-20's crisis and joined the military way late. Great decision for me so far.

WanderingWind said:
I did my eight years, decided I wanted to be a private citizen making money based on corporate consumption/demand and got it....turned out they valued my skills so much they took my E-5 (SSgt) position and turned it into a federal position...so I make more, work less and still drill on the weekends because after 8 years of active military service, 12 years of being a reservist, I get my pension...

WanderingWind said:
Whoa. You totally took that the wrong way, bud. I even added a smilie and everything. Did not mean to sound like I was denigrating your time served or anything. My bad.

Let me try again. Only an E-5 after 8 years? Did you happen to punch out your tech sergeant or something rascally like that? Slow promoting MOS?

I have no idea what the first part of that means. But no, I am not a civilian or a "potato peeler."

no worries....:D

you said your a trained chef so I figured you came into the MWR MOS/Career field...

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Cereal KiIIer said:
All salaries have been converted in USD. An australian solider 31509$ USD + bonuses.

that's fucking amazing money if you have to live/eat there.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
How did this happen? What was your job?

I was in Comm (3A AFSC) but worked for a Services unit (which is like 80% civilian)
I was in the job for three years here in AZ (and 7 years total at another base)
so I asked if they wanted to keep me, turn it into a civlian position...

there are two types of federal employment on a military installation...APF or NAF (contractors too I guess)
so they created a NAF position for me..
I seperated on a Friday, went golfing...and came in Monday morning unshaved:D
its awesome...the same people who told me what to do as my superior officers, are now called by their first name and found what little threshold I have for stupidity...lol

small trade off....and like I said, doing the reserve thing is just like being a civilian but with a uniform on! LOL

WanderingWind

Litflynt912 said:
no worries....:D

you said your a trained chef so I figured you came into the MWR MOS/Career field...

No. Also, Marines do tend to be a bit more...aggressive than your average flyboy.

But if it helps you any, my stepdad was a Jolly Green and my sister was Air Force as well. Much love to you and yours.

theultimo

WanderingWind said:
:lol Yeah. I had a mid-20's crisis and joined the military way late. Great decision for me so far.
same :lol Mine was right out of high school, at 17.

I have been in for 12 years, and as an E7 (SFC), I have seen 4 deployments, 2 national emergencies, and a ton of flood repair.

WanderingWind said:
No. Also, Marines do tend to be a bit more...aggressive than your average flyboy.

But if it helps you any, my stepdad was a Jolly Green and my sister was Air Force as well. Much love to you and yours.

us chair force guys tend to be a little more sensitive than your everyday rocket launching marines/soldiers...

that's why we use drones and xbox controllers to kill...more passive agressive....

theultimo

Litflynt912 said:
us chair force guys tend to be a little more sensitive than your everyday rocket launching marines/soldiers...

that's why we use drones and xbox controllers to kill...more passive agressive....
I work in a joint Army/Air Force office, our Army chair bourne personnel are just as passive-agressive ;)

WanderingWind

Litflynt912 said:

We have that stuff too. We just don't advertise it as heavily as we do the fucking Silent Drill Platoon. :lol

theultimo

WanderingWind said:
We have that stuff too. We just don't advertise it as heavily as we do the fucking Silent Drill Platoon. :lol
PAO is a tough job. I couldn't fathom producing something that will be shown to millions on AFN or archived forever.

WanderingWind

theultimo said:
PAO is a tough job. I couldn't fathom producing something that will be shown to millions on AFN or archived forever.

I love it. There are definitely a lot worse jobs out there. It gives me exposure to a wide range of all military branches, MOSs, ranks, etc. I can be interviewing a Marine general one day, riding in a helo with Army SOAR the next, and then spend some time learning about Air Force crop dusters. All of which has happened within a year. I get to learn more about the military than most people. Or, being a Marine, I could just get shoved behind a .50 cal and have to work convoy ops for a year.

Plus, there is an easy frame of reference when asked what I do. "You see Full Metal Jacket? Like Pvt. Joker."

What do you do?

woha!! at US's salaries, a big WTF

I thought it would have been better with all the adverstisement they make about making a career and jump start to college

but fuck those figures suck

theultimo

WanderingWind said:
I love it. There are definitely a lot worse jobs out there. It gives me exposure to a wide range of all military branches, MOSs, ranks, etc. I can be interviewing a Marine general one day, riding in a helo with Army SOAR the next, and then spend some time learning about Air Force crop dusters. All of which has happened within a year. I get to learn more about the military than most people. Or, being a Marine, I could just get shoved behind a .50 cal and have to work convoy ops for a year.

Plus, there is an easy frame of reference when asked what I do. "You see Full Metal Jacket? Like Pvt. Joker."

What do you do?
At least its varied. I'm usually stuck in a server room either getting a wire closet cleaned or wiping a computer because some idiot put a SIPR computer on a NIPR AGAIN... and if a officer needs special access to something, but it needs it done NOW. The hardest part in my job is making the impossible possible. We have a whole team dedicated to our Web Apps, and its irritating trying to fix issues that came up because someone forgot to hide a table or left access privages in.

But I still love my job. When I have an LTC come by and give my section praise because we found and restored his email, its an amazing feeling or pride for my job and my soldiers.

WanderingWind

theultimo said:
At least its varied. I'm usually stuck in a server room either getting a wire closet cleaned or wiping a computer because some idiot put a SIPR computer on a NIPR AGAIN...

Yeah, but you at least can get quick help when your Outlook fucks up. :lol
In today's military, you tech/comm guys are just as important as the armorers and the round counters.

EDIT: Officers. The bane of our continued happiness.

Calantus

bosskoss21 said:
i feeel like these stats is wrong

They aren't, at least the US pay isn't wrong.

Although 'soldier' isn't a rank, i'm pretty sure that only E1s make 18k a year, and you are only an E1 for six months

theultimo

bosskoss21 said:
i feeel like these stats is wrong
The base pay of an Enlisted Soldier is very low. It does not mention the other benefits, however.

* free housing (for active duty on post)
* monthly housing allowance which does not get taxed (for active duty off post and reserves)
* free healthcare
* "special duty" pays, like being a recruiter or linguistic. Sometimes this can be as much as $1500 more, non taxed.
* VA benefits
* access to the biggest rip-off company (IMO), AAFES, but you never pay tax. When I was stationed at Ft. Jackson, cigs are less then $3/pk for Marlboros. Just watch out for higher value stuff.
* free flights to anywhere, if you can get a reserve seat. Its just a horrible plane to fly in (C17/C130)

There is a ton more, but while your pay is low, your benefits more then make up for it.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Uh, no. When I was going to join, I specifically asked for Security Force and they gave it to me.

Just for clarification, the AF will take anybody who signs up as SF or anything relating to combat. Jobs like aviation mechanic and whatnot will have a long waiting list. So long in fact, that when I went to MEPS to get processed, there were only a few AF guys going through, with most going SF. The few that weren't doing anything combat related weren't being shipped out for another 9 months or so(minimum). It makes sense since there can only be so many technical jobs open for the AF.

I was actually considering the AF, but decided on the Navy since they basically have just as many technical jobs as the AF without having the long wait time. Of course, I ended up choosing DC and not really realizing how popular that rate is. I won't be shipping to boot till next June. :lol

itxaka

Defeatist
theultimo said:
The base pay of an Enlisted Soldier is very low. It does not mention the other benefits, however.

* free housing (for active duty on post)
* monthly housing allowance which does not get taxed (for active duty off post and reserves)
* free healthcare
* "special duty" pays, like being a recruiter or linguistic. Sometimes this can be as much as $1500 more, non taxed.
* VA benefits
* access to the biggest rip-off company (IMO), AAFES, but you never pay tax. When I was stationed at Ft. Jackson, cigs are less then $3/pk for Marlboros. Just watch out for higher value stuff.
* free flights to anywhere, if you can get a reserve seat. Its just a horrible plane to fly in (C17/C130)

There is a ton more, but while your pay is low, your benefits more then make up for it.

So if you are a tech guy with a proven career and 2 languages can you opt for a position in the military where you would never have to touch a gun or do the hard training and such?

Mar

I know a guy who is in the SAS (Australian special forces), and the bonuses are pretty damn good. Free housing, transport costs including cars. He also receives a big cash bonus every time he returns from active duty.

However, the shit he has to do in his job is off the mother fucking wall. Those guys should never have to pay for anything. Give them whatever they want in order to keep them happy. It's the hardest job in the world.

ChanHuk said:
You guys forget about things such as combat pay, I think its an extra $225 a month and your pay is untaxed.

All the other armies does that. I could add it up but every salaries would go up as well.

WanderingWind

itxaka said:
So if you are a tech guy with a proven career and 2 languages can you opt for a position in the military where you would never have to touch a gun or do the hard training and such?

No, but you could try for a GS job. Or CIA. Or HMS. Or FBI. Etc. The military exists to touch guns and do hard training.

itxaka

Defeatist
WanderingWind said:
No, but you could try for a GS job. Or CIA. Or HMS. Or FBI. Etc. The military exists to touch guns and do hard training.
Sorry non american here. What is a GS Job?

itxaka said:

Depends on how you do on your ASVAB test. The test will have sections that will cover skills like electronics or machinery. Score high in those and those jobs become available for you when you choose your MOS/rate. As for the branches of the military that can get you these jobs, most of them will, though from what I hear, being a Marine will not get you a job till after boot. There, the Marines decide where you go. Army, Navy, and AF can get you a guarantee with a signed contract.

Knowing more then 1 language also gets you more money. If it's a high demand language, the military can even send you to school so that you can help with translating. My recruiter told me one of her friends knew how to speak Haitian. When that disaster happened, he was sent off to Haiti to help translate and to help with relief efforts.

BTW, that's another reason why I joined the Navy. They do a lot of relief work around the world.

Edit: Not sure how other countries do it, but in the US military, you take an assessment test that determines if you have the skill and knowledge to do certain jobs. Other countries probably have something similar.

Cereal KiIIer said:
All the other armies does that. I could add it up but every salaries would go up as well.

That would just be more confusing. The title should be changed to Base salary though, so that people know that it is before any benefits are added.

WanderingWind

itxaka said:
Sorry non american here. What is a GS Job?

Common language for General Schedule jobs. http://federalgovernmentjobs.us/job-titles.html

Basically, you do some of the same work as the military without the guns and training. Usually with many (if not all) of the same benefits. A lot of former military in their ranks, but if you're skilled enough, the opportunity exists.

Masta_Killah said:
Depends on how you do on your ASVAB test. The test will have sections that will cover skills like electronics or machinery. Score high in those and those jobs become available for you when you choose your MOS/rate.

As for the branches of the military that can get you these jobs, most of them will, though from what I hear, being a Marine will not get you a job till after boot. There, the Marines decide where you go. Army, Navy, and AF can get you a guarantee with a signed contract.

Knowing more then 1 language also gets you more money. If it's a high demand language, the military can even send you to school so that you can help with translating. My recruiter told me one of her friends knew how to speak Haitian. When that disaster happened, he was sent off to Haiti to help translate and to help with relief efforts.

BTW, that's another reason why I joined the Navy. They do a lot of relief work around the world.

Sorry man, I'll try to frame this as nicely as I can. You do not know what you're talking about.

First off, why would you even hazard to guess what the Marines are like when you know there is at least one in this thread? Yes, you can pick your MOS before signing up for the Marines. They do not just pick your job for you. You have to choose one, or go open contract, which is the same across all services.

Secondly, you do not get extra money just for knowing a language. You have to take a DLAB in order to qualify for the extra pay...even if you're fluent in Farsi. That pay is not all that much to begin with. They send you to the linguistics school if you choose a linguistic field of study, which all branches have.

You are getting your knowledge from a recruiter. Keep that in mind before you begin passing it off to unsuspecting people who may believe you know what you're talking about. You are not in the military yet. Please keep in mind, for your own benefit and professional growth, that you have a lot to learn about it.

Lastly, there is no branch of service in which you will not have to touch a gun or go through training you do no necessarily find easy. Even with all the shit I talk about the Air Force, they have their own challenges to go through. I assume you misread this part earlier.

Mar said:
I know a guy who is in the SAS (Australian special forces), and the bonuses are pretty damn good. Free housing, transport costs including cars. He also receives a big cash bonus every time he returns from active duty.

However, the shit he has to do in his job is off the mother fucking wall. Those guys should never have to pay for anything. Give them whatever they want in order to keep them happy. It's the hardest job in the world.

Nice. One of the recruits for my PT class just got into the Navy Seals. For making it through the initial process, the government gave him a $30k signing bonus. If he decides to re-enlist, the government will give him a $100k bonus.

BigDug13

I'm an E-6 in the Navy over 16 years and single living in San Diego. The equivalent civilian taxable pay for my situation that I would have to make to equal my military pay is $72,000ish.

My net take home is $53,000 a year. Housing, food, cost of living, etc are not taxed in the US military.

I'm going to be hard pressed to find a job making that much once I retire. At least starting.

WanderingWind

BigDug13 said:
I'm an E-6 in the Navy over 16 years and single living in San Diego. The equivalent civilian taxable pay for my situation that I would have to make to equal my military pay is $72,000ish.

My net take home is $53,000 a year. Housing, food, cost of living, etc are not taxed in the US military.

I'm going to be hard pressed to find a job making that much once I retire. At least starting.

Yeah, but you're not going to want to retire after you pick up Chief. They're like gods in the Navy. :lol

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
BigDug13 said:

Yep, gross pay doesn't mean a thing.

theultimo

WanderingWind said:
Common language for General Schedule jobs. http://federalgovernmentjobs.us/job-titles.html

Basically, you do some of the same work as the military without the guns and training. Usually with many (if not all) of the same benefits. A lot of former military in their ranks, but if you're skilled enough, the opportunity exists.
Yup. There are things call duel technicians as well. For instance , for one weekend a month, I am paid a standard E7 drill pay. The rest of my time is paid GS-12, where I still wear a uniform, but get paid from a different pool.

Just out of curiosity, how many new recruits in the Navy are older then 25? By the time I head to boot, I'll be 28, and all the recruits in my pt class are no older then 23. I kinda feel uncomfortable being so old and just barely enlisting.

I know the Army has some recruits going in when they are 40(I've seen it firsthand), but I was just wondering if the Navy has some older recruits going in.

WanderingWind

theultimo said:
Yup. There are things call duel technicians as well. For instance , for one weekend a month, I am paid a standard E7 drill pay. The rest of my time is paid GS-12, where I still wear a uniform, but get paid from a different pool.

o_O

Teach me your ways.

Masta_Killah said:
Just out of curiosity, how many new recruits in the Navy are older then 25? By the time I head to boot, I'll be 28, and all the recruits in my pt class are no older then 23. I kinda feel uncomfortable being so old and just barely enlisting.

I know the Army has some recruits going in when they are 40(I've seen it firsthand), but I was just wondering if the Navy has some older recruits going in.

It's no big deal. I joined at a later age. Anywhere there are Marines, there are sailors and Corpsmen, so I've met more than a few Navy cats in my age range. You'll be fine. As long as you don't have any personal hang-ups about 22 year kids telling you what to do. Because that shit will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom