• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Army salaries per country

Status
Not open for further replies.

theultimo

WanderingWind said:
I am in the Army Reserves as a normal reserve soldier. I am under a normal reserve contract, and I have the one weekend/2wks a month normal rotation. I am also employed by our unit as a full time government employee, working 40 hours a week. In order to accept the job, you have to be a part of the reserves, but not the unit assigned. So I work as a Army Contractor during the week, and drill once a month. Its pretty nice, as you get the best of both worlds, and 2 retirement checks, one from the Army, one from the Federal Goverment.

The downside is that I have to have employment with both organizations. If I retire, or my contract runs out in the reserves, I cannot be employed where I work.

WanderingWind said:
o_O

Teach me your ways.

It's no big deal. I joined at a later age. Anywhere there are Marines, there are sailors and Corpsmen, so I've met more than a few Navy cats in my age range. You'll be fine. As long as you don't have any personal hang-ups about 22 year kids telling you what to do. Because that shit will happen.

I've got no issues with that. I had to deal with that when I was working corporate and retail.

zedge

MrHicks said:
more funding for what?
for the non existant enemy nations canada should worry about going to war with?

canada is untouchable they don't need an army
please explain the need for a canadian army
Every modern nation has an armed forces, they are not just for going to war. This thinking is so ridiculous.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
theultimo said:
I am in the Army Reserves as a normal reserve soldier. I am under a normal reserve contract, and I have the one weekend/2wks a month normal rotation. I am also employed by our unit as a full time government employee, working 40 hours a week. In order to accept the job, you have to be a part of the reserves, but not the unit assigned. So I work as a Army Contractor during the week, and drill once a month. Its pretty nice, as you get the best of both worlds, and 2 retirement checks, one from the Army, one from the Federal Goverment.

The downside is that I have to have employment with both organizations. If I retire, or my contract runs out in the reserves, I cannot be employed where I work.

That is the most pimp thing I've heard today. I'm going to look into that for my future as well.

ElectricBlue187 said:
Well there's a few problems with your theory here.

1. To get those few Army bonuses the AF doesn't get you have to put your life in danger
2. Army bases are shit. The housing is shit. It's like living in a housing project. In comparison, I've been to resorts that aren't as nice as AF bases like Eglin, Rammstien, Hickam, even Shaw.
3. The Army has only a few jobs percentage wise that will gain you real good employment in civilian life. Whereas the AF is in the cutting edge in communications and IT
Ramstien is nice, yes. Even Spangdahlem but SHAW is a piece of shit base in a piece of shit town. Horrible, horrible housing. There's barely anyone there on base anymore.

theultimo said:

In the Air Force, we call those ARTS (Air Reserve Technicians)
M-F your a GS or WG(wage Grade) employee and during reserve weekends your an E-6/E-7 Double dipping in the salary pool...

this is the job of dreams...like mentioned though...you can't retire from one and keep the other, the civilian job is dependent on you being active in the reserves..

stuff of dreams...

U.S. Army is bigger than all those country's.

Can't pay all of our troops top dollar.

A fair comparison would be comparing the U.S. with other nations that have large Armies.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Jason's Ultimatum said:
I know people in the armed forces are taken care of even with the relatively low salaries they earn (free healthcare, housing, etc) , but GODDAMN. I'd rather have the government reallocate wasteful defense spending towards increasing the salaries of everyone in the armed forces.
Fuck this, we need more bombs & planes.

Kite

ermm.. I'm an Army Finance soldier, basic pay is only a small fraction of what a soldier takes home.

Being married is the best way to rake in the cash since you'll get BAH (Basic Allowance for Housing) which is around $1200 a month for Fort Lewis and can get over $2k for places like NY and Cali. Being married also means getting BAS (Basic Allowance for Subsistence) aka money for food which is around $320 a month. We also get clothing allowances which isn't much but is a nice lil bonus.

Next are special pays and allowances. If you are airborne (parachuting BoB style~) you get Jump Pay ($150), if you speak certain desirable foreign languages you get FLP pay and the more proficient you are the more you get up to $1000 a month. There are also special pays for flight duty, submarine duty and sea duty.

You can also get COLA (Cost of Living Allowance) depending on where you live, rank and number of dependents. Soldiers stationed overseas get Overseas COLA, OHA (Overseas Housing Allowance), Per Diem and Hardship Duty Pay. Deployed soldiers get Hostile Fire Pay, Family Separation Allowance, Hardship Duty Pay, Per Diem and Combat Zone Tax Exclusion (all pays and allowances are tax-free, so are bonuses so take a wild guess when and where people want to re-enlist xD). Deployed soldiers get something awesome called the SDP (Savings Deposite Program) where up to $10,000 can be deposited annually to earn 10% interest. Try and get that anywhere else xD So yeah, any deployed soldiers, come down to your local finance office and start your SDP. Wifey deserves a diamond ring when you go home~

So yeah, no soldier really goes home with a mere $17k unless they're in debt up to their eyeballs or fucked up really really bad.Or they're stupid and can't manage their finances and have allotments out their ass.

edit: or have a string of divorces. It is funny, Finance sees so many marriage certificates and divorce papers. Dear soldiers, please think carefully before you get married. Sure you rake in the money while married but that divorce will really hurt, trust me I've seen the LES of thousands of soldiers >.<

edit #2: ahaha those of you who think you make as much as a colonel just by surfing neogaf.. no you don't, not by a long shot. The amount officers make is quit frankly obscene.

Kite said:
ermm.. I'm an Army Finance soldier, basic pay is only a small fraction of what a soldier takes home.

Being married is the best way to rake in the cash since you'll get BAH (Basic Allowance for Housing) which is around $1200 a month for Fort Lewis and can get over $2k for places like NY and Cali. Being married also means getting BAS (Basic Allowance for Subsistence) aka money for food which is around $320 a month. We also get clothing allowances which isn't much but is a nice lil bonus.

Next are special pays and allowances. If you are airborne (parachuting BoB style~) you get Jump Pay ($150), if you speak certain desirable foreign languages you get FLP pay and the more proficient you are the more you get up to $1000 a month. There are also special pays for flight duty, submarine duty and sea duty.

You can also get COLA (Cost of Living Allowance) depending on where you live, rank and number of dependents. Soldiers stationed overseas get Overseas COLA, OHA (Overseas Housing Allowance), Per Diem and Hardship Duty Pay. Deployed soldiers get Hostile Fire Pay, Family Separation Allowance, Hardship Duty Pay, Per Diem and Combat Zone Tax Exclusion (all pays and allowances are tax-free, so are bonuses so take a wild guess when and where people want to re-enlist xD). Deployed soldiers get something awesome called the SDP (Savings Deposite Program) where up to $10,000 can be deposited annually to earn 10% interest. Try and get that anywhere else xD So yeah, any deployed soldiers, come down to your local finance office and start your SDP. Wifey deserves a diamond ring when you go home~

So yeah, no soldier really goes home with a mere $17k unless they're in debt up to their eyeballs or fucked up really really bad. Or they're stupid and can't manage their finances and have allotments out their ass.

edit: or have a string of divorces. It is funny, Finance sees so many marriage certificates and divorce papers. Dear soldiers, please think carefully before you get married. Sure you rake in the money while married but that divorce will really hurt, trust me I've seen the LES of thousands of soldiers >.<

edit #2: ahaha those of you who think you make as much as a colonel just by surfing neogaf.. no you don't, not by a long shot. The amount officers make is quit frankly obscene.

This is me atm. :( I'm not hardcore into debt, but I do have a sizeable amount(~15k). Will the military help me get my finances in place? One of the reasons I enlisted was because I got tired of trying to look for a job in the civilian sector. It's been a year and not even a retail position has opened up for me. I was planning on using most of my pay to pay everything off, and since I'll must likely be on a ship for most of my time, the need for spending money will be minimal.

Noshino

Pterion said:
US army must have lots of benefits, because I visit car forums all the time and it's crazy what some of these young soldiers drive when they come back.

You should see the amount of people that live off ramen here in Navy hospital corps school :lol

But yah, the Army has a fuckton of pays and allowances.

ElectricBlue187 said:
Well there's a few problems with your theory here.

1. To get those few Army bonuses the AF doesn't get you have to put your life in danger
2. Army bases are shit. The housing is shit. It's like living in a housing project. In comparison, I've been to resorts that aren't as nice as AF bases like Eglin, Rammstien, Hickam, even Shaw.
3. The Army has only a few jobs percentage wise that will gain you real good employment in civilian life. Whereas the AF is in the cutting edge in communications and IT

1) Uh, isn't that obvious? Its the same with the USAF, if you want those bonuses you ll be sent to combat zones...

2) Of course. Usually it is USAF > USN > USA >USMC.

3) Uh what? you do know that most of the jobs available on the AF are available on the other branches? Actually, I can't remember the source but it usually ranks this way

US Navy - US Army
Marine Corps
Air Force

when it comes to getting good employment rates in civilian life.

I can talk for the corpsman, even though the Navy is considered to have the best HMs, the Army does have more advanced equipment, which is really awesome.

WanderingWind said:
I am a active duty Marine who works in marketing and public affairs and who has a bachelors in the same field. I also have degree in the culinary arts and worked as a chef for 10 years.

You, by the way, are the first to go "wait a minute..." Gold star for you! :D

Man, all the crap that we have to learn to take care of you guys....seriously

Oh, and my instructor (HM2 FMF/CAC) loves the marine corps, his nickname for you guys is motards, motivated retards :lol (I know that its not all of you guys, but seriously, some of you are just special... who the hell decides to play with a knife while at night...)

BigDug13 said:
I'm an E-6 in the Navy over 16 years and single living in San Diego. The equivalent civilian taxable pay for my situation that I would have to make to equal my military pay is $72,000ish.

My net take home is $53,000 a year. Housing, food, cost of living, etc are not taxed in the US military.

I'm going to be hard pressed to find a job making that much once I retire. At least starting.

What is your rate?

Anyway, San Diego is one of the bases that Im hoping to be stationed at once I graduate from corps school (freaking orders are on hold because of the flood, we aren't getting any new orders til August 10th), I heard that the base in San Diego is just awesome.

Kite

Masta_Killah said:
This is me atm. :( I'm not hardcore into debt, but I do have a sizeable amount(~15k). Will the military help me get my finances in place? One of the reasons I enlisted was because I got tired of trying to look for a job in the civilian sector. It's been a year and not even a retail position has opened up for me. I was planning on using most of my pay to pay everything off, and since I'll must likely be on a ship for most of my time, the need for spending money will be minimal.

Can the military help you get out of debt and get a fresh start? It certainly can, however if you fuck it up you can be in even more debt. I worked the Debt Management section for about a week before I unit deployed and I've seen some insane debts ($100k+). If you have an attitude problem I suggest fixing it asap cus you don't want to get hit with loss of pay, extra duty and reduction in rank. And heaven help you if you get caught driving drunk, after the civilian courts are done with you the military's will fuck you a second time. And outside bases there are countless leeches who know many servicemen and women are young and have a steady paycheck so prey upon em. Payday lenders and used equipment resellers are the worse imo.

However the military has many programs and benefits that can help you get out and stay out of debt. It seems like you are Navy so I can't guarantee 100%, but in the Arny getting deployed is the best way to make creditors go away. The Servicemembers Civil Relief Act will be your best friend.

* 6% cap in interest rates, all you need are your deployment orders and send a letter to your credit card company, mortgage company or any other loans made before you enlisted. Federal student loans don't apply.
* You can get out of any property, apartment, automobile leases
* Terminate insurance
* State Tax relief

There is much much more. The Army has tuition assistance ie free college as long as you pass the class. Fail and you are picking up the bill. Get a small emergency 0% loan through AER (Army Emergency Relief) tho your commander needs to sign off on it. The Army has a shit-ton of programs that'll help you get out of debts you incurred before you joined. The new ones you get after joining.. are mostly your problem. Don't fuck up your second chance.

I know people in AIT, finance soldiers who should fsking know better, get duped at malls by hot highschool chicks and buy crap with insane financing plans.. one guy who will end up paying over $1k for a 360 and sold it for $200 to a friend to help pay off another debt.. lotsa tards in the military -___- But yeah, there are lots of people who prey upon stupid servicemen with steady paychecks. But if you are smart about it you can get out of debt and make a fresh start.

Noshino

Kite said:
Can the military help you get out of debt and get a fresh start? It certainly can, however if you fuck it up you can be in even more debt. I worked the Debt Management section for about a week before I unit deployed and I've seen some insane debts ($100k+). If you have an attitude problem I suggest fixing it asap cus you don't want to get hit with loss of pay, extra duty and reduction in rank. And heaven help you if you get caught driving drunk, after the civilian courts are done with you the military's will fuck you a second time. And outside bases there are countless leeches who know many servicemen and women are young and have a steady paycheck so prey upon em. Payday lenders and used equipment resellers are the worse imo.

However the military has many programs and benefits that can help you get out and stay out of debt. It seems like you are Navy so I can't guarantee 100%, but in the Arny getting deployed is the best way to make creditors go away. The Servicemembers Civil Relief Act will be your best friend.

* 6% cap in interest rates, all you need are your deployment orders and send a letter to your credit card company, mortgage company or any other loans made before you enlisted. Federal student loans don't apply.
* You can get out of any property, apartment, automobile leases
* Terminate insurance
* State Tax relief

There is much much more. The Army has tuition assistance ie free college as long as you pass the class. Fail and you are picking up the bill. Get a small emergency 0% loan through AER (Army Emergency Relief) tho your commander needs to sign off on it. The Army has a shit-ton of programs that'll help you get out of debts you incurred before you joined. The new ones you get after joining.. are mostly your problem. Don't fuck up your second chance.

I know people in AIT, finance soldiers who should fsking know better, get duped at malls by hot highschool chicks and buy crap with insane financing plans.. one guy who will end up paying over $1k for a 360 and sold it for $200 to a friend to help pay off another debt.. lotsa tards in the military -___- But yeah, there are lots of people who prey upon stupid servicemen with steady paychecks. But if you are smart about it you can get out of debt and make a fresh start.

I don't know if it works the same way in the Army, but in the Navy your debt status is also taken in mind when applying for C School and for security clearance.

And also being irresponsible with your finances can get you in trouble, I know people that have gotten masted for giving bad checks :lol

Thanks for the info on financial help. I'm already planning to take advantage of the Relief Act.

Looks like I'm going to have to figure out how to pay my defaulted student loan. Luckily, it's only around 10k.

BlackGoku03 said:
Ramstien is nice, yes. Even Spangdahlem but SHAW is a piece of shit base in a piece of shit town. Horrible, horrible housing. There's barely anyone there on base anymore.

Shaw is kind of a mixed bag. The officer's houses and some of the newer stuff were awesome but yeah the 5000 area was horrible, but even then it was still a damn sight better than the shit they call houses on Ft. Jackson and Schofield. The rest of the base is pretty cool they have an awesome golf course and parks and the facilities are great.

1) Uh, isn't that obvious? Its the same with the USAF, if you want those bonuses you ll be sent to combat zones...

2) Of course. Usually it is USAF > USN > USA >USMC.

Hostile agreement :lol

3) Uh what? you do know that most of the jobs available on the AF are available on the other branches? Actually, I can't remember the source but it usually ranks this way

US Navy - US Army
Marine Corps
Air Force

when it comes to getting good employment rates in civilian life.

I can talk for the corpsman, even though the Navy is considered to have the best HMs, the Army does have more advanced equipment, which is really awesome.

I was speaking more about employment in the communications and IT sector, which the air force is wayyyy ahead of the rest of the military in my experience

Noshino

ElectricBlue187 said:
Hostile agreement :lol

1) well, you are making it look as if it is something that doesn't happen in the other branches, yet it does. Those bonuses are because of the extra risk. The AF doesn't give you all of those bonuses, and the ones that they do are given because of the risk. And if you want to play semantics, then one could also claim that the Navy and the Army do have jobs at the base that do not put you at harm's way yet you still get some bonuses for that.

Once again, the USAF isn't that special in this regard.

2) Now this, I ll hand it to you, USAF does have the best bases, specially the galleys. Now that all the medicine school are moving to San Antonio I ll get to try them myself :lol

I was speaking more about employment in the communications and IT sector, which the air force is wayyyy ahead of the rest of the military in my experience

As far as I know, the Navy has been investing a lot on the Communication/IT part of the branch, whether they are as advanced as the AF I wouldn't know since I haven't been able to see either one by myself :lol

Kite

Masta_Killah said:
Looks like I'm going to have to figure out how to pay my defaulted student loan. Luckily, it's only around 10k.
If you have an associates or bachlor's degree your recruiter should have gotten you at least an $8k enlistment bonus which would go a long ways towards paying off that $10k. If not..

Kozak

Banned
I'm pretty tempted to join the Army Reserves in Australia..

Amazing pay and you have no expenses + as a reserve its unlikely I'll actually be called into action.

This topic has made me want to go to the nearby Army Recruitment Center and talk to somebody in order to get a bit more information, and find out what options are open to me. I'm finding it really hard to find my feet in this recession at the moment, maybe joining the army would be a good idea. It would keep me busy and allow me to save up a bit of money, and hopefully, by the time I finished, the recession would be over, and finding a job would be easier.

WanderingWind

Ben2749 said:
This topic has made me want to go to the nearby Army Recruitment Center and talk to somebody in order to get a bit more information, and find out what options are open to me. I'm finding it really hard to find my feet in this recession at the moment, maybe joining the army would be a good idea. It would keep me busy and allow me to save up a bit of money, and hopefully, by the time I finished, the recession would be over, and finding a job would be easier.

It doesn't hurt to get all the information you can. MilitaryGAF is also willing to help you cut through the stuff the recruiters will tell you. Feel free to PM any questions you may have.

WanderingWind said:
I am a active duty Marine who works in marketing and public affairs and who has a bachelors in the same field. I also have degree in the culinary arts and worked as a chef for 10 years.

You, by the way, are the first to go "wait a minute..." Gold star for you! :D

Where the hell are you finding all this time to watch Doctor Who? :lol

TxdoHawk

Anyone work IT in the US Army/Navy? I'm employed currently, but the job I'm in looks to be a long slog as far as getting to a decent point financially, on top of the fact that I could be tossed at any time due to the economy.

I don't exactly want to work in dangerous combat zones, but I wouldn't mind working on a boat, since I'm assuming (perhaps wrongly?) that a ship out at sea isn't too likely to encounter serious danger.

I've got a Bachelor's in Business Information Systems, and a large range of helpdesk / field tech experiences from several companies. I'm not at all opposed to job training, if the military is willing to work me into a position.

Masta_Killah said:
Just for clarification, the AF will take anybody who signs up as SF or anything relating to combat. Jobs like aviation mechanic and whatnot will have a long waiting list. So long in fact, that when I went to MEPS to get processed, there were only a few AF guys going through, with most going SF. The few that weren't doing anything combat related weren't being shipped out for another 9 months or so(minimum). It makes sense since there can only be so many technical jobs open for the AF.

I was actually considering the AF, but decided on the Navy since they basically have just as many technical jobs as the AF without having the long wait time. Of course, I ended up choosing DC and not really realizing how popular that rate is. I won't be shipping to boot till next June. :lol

Okay, everything you said has nothing to do with what I said. :lol

Anyone know the salaries for a military pharmacist? because the benefits sound marvelous compared to the private sector.

Not sure, but speaking of the job, my father works at the VA, and he has a few friends who just finished their time doing some kind of temp work or something that's required before they can become FT pharmacists. Now they're going to join the reserves and become officers without even going through boot camp. :lol

Calantus

Kozak said:
+ as a reserve its unlikely I'll actually be called into action.

just don't go in thinking you won't be deployed, i've seen people go into the reserves thinking they will never be deployed while they take advantage, they then get deployed and they start bitching about the army.

winnarps

WanderingWind said:
:lol Yeah. I had a mid-20's crisis and joined the military way late. Great decision for me so far.

Kinda having similar thoughts/crisis.

Was really thinking about throwing together an OCS application for all the branches and seeing where I'd fit.

Reasons so far (in order of my importance):
Adventure
Travel
Physical fitness
Learn a new skill or three
Pay is decent enough, comparable to what I make now as a civilian
Medical benefits + bonuses seem pretty good

Anyone have any input on this? Good or bad idea to join mid-twenties?

The only problem I see with making the military a somewhat long-term career is if you want to have a family. The constant moving around could jeopardize your gf/wife's career.

MightyKAC

winnarps said:

I joined the Navy when I was 24 and had no problems at all. Just don't offended when they treat you like a stupid kid (as most raw recruits are) until you prove to them otherwise.

WanderingWind

winnarps said:
Kinda having similar thoughts/crisis.

Was really thinking about throwing together an OCS application for all the branches and seeing where I'd fit.

Reasons so far (in order of my importance):
Adventure
Travel
Physical fitness
Learn a new skill or three
Pay is decent enough, comparable to what I make now as a civilian
Medical benefits + bonuses seem pretty good

Adventure - Hm. This one is tricky. If you want this, remember that there is no real adventure without hardship or danger. Any branch of the military lets you do some pretty cool stuff, but you also end up doing some regular everyday things. As an officer, you'll never clean anything, so you'd be good there.

Travel - Yeah, you'll get this one in any branch, too.

Physical Fitness - There is no branch that offers this like the USMC. The Army isn't that bad, either, but the Marine Corps turns fat/scrawny dudes into people with excellent physical conditioning like nobody's business. Remember, though, that it's not easy. You will learn to love days where you ONLY have to run 3 miles.

Skills - Depends on what skills you want. All branches offer extremely technical jobs, and all branches offer some sort of combat related job. Only two offer real medical fields, the Army and Navy, and only the USMC guarantees that no matter your job you are at least proficient in basic weapon systems and combat tactics. The Air Force offers some pretty cool stuff as well.

Pay and medical - DoD regulated, with adjustments here and there. Same across the board.

Without knowing more about your specific goals, there is little anybody who is being truthful, can tell you about which service would be best for you. Which is most important? Which is least? What skills?

What I can tell you, is in general, the most militaristic of the services is the Corps, with the Air Force on the opposite spectrum. But even the Marines have admin clerks and the Air Force has special forces, so there is no hard and fast rules there. Except the fact that every Marine is still a basic rifleman, so if that's not your thing, you know...

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Okay, everything you said has nothing to do with what I said. :lol

Yeah, just realized my post didn't make sense after reading your response to the other post. :lol

The heatwave here in LA is making me delirious. :lol

Kite

I wouldn't get too starry-eyed about joining the military. I can't speak for all MOSes, but for many of us in FInance it is just like a regular job. We are a lot less busy then civilians, but being idle and bored instead of constant stress to occupy ones mind makes the days long and the small bullshit chores more tedious. Expect to be disgruntled often, deal with superiors you probably feel are incompetent and perform lots of bullshit work.. same as any other civilian job. Only your bosses have additional options to fuck with you like making you do pushups or do janitor work like picking up trash or cleaning. Lots and lots of cleaning.

However I've done lots of cool shit, even as a Finance soldier. I've driven humvees on starless nights with night vision goggles through trails in the woods, I've fired 203s (lil gernade launchers slung underneath M16s), 249s (light machine guns), 50 cals and AT4s (missile launchers). I've flown in black hawks and Chinooks on FST missions, ridden in stryker convoys through territory with weapons loaded, been gassed, done water survival training, kicked down doors and cleared buildings in our own bumbling lol-swat style, and done ruck marches through sand storms, in the pouring rain in the forest. Even finance, the last soldiers anyone would ever want to see in an actual fight get to do some cool shit.

But most of the time ours is a boring office job, I giggle at the people who are scared of joining the military because they are afraid of combat. If you weren't dropped as a child and can score a halfway decent ASVAB score you have the option of picking an MOS where the likelihood of you ever being shot at is minuscule. Instead you should think more about what you are willing to sacrifice for that easy steady paycheck that won't make you rich but leads to an easy and comfortable life. Are you willing to get up so early in the morning to do physical training, are you willing to give your bosses complete control over your entire life, where they can and will make you work overtime without extra pay? Who can come into your area and inspect whatever the hell they want, fuck your privacy? And you can't just quit whenever you feel like it, that contract binds you. The military life can be fun as hell and the opportunities and programs available to you are quit frankly ridiculous. But if you are a selfish self-centered prick with an over-inflated ego and sense of self worth.. well you will be bitter and hate life. Think long and hard before you join. Those "gangstas" who are always worried about respect, personal space and shit might think twice. But the military life can be fun and rewarding if you get into the mindset. But if you are just looking for the easy paycheck.. the paycheck part is easy but the happiness well.. it is what you make of it.

Noshino

Kite said:
I wouldn't get too starry-eyed about joining the military. I can't speak for all MOSes, but for many of us in FInance it is just like a regular job. We are a lot less busy then civilians, but being idle and bored instead of constant stress to occupy ones mind makes the days long and the small bullshit chores more tedious. Expect to be disgruntled often, deal with superiors you probably feel are incompetent and perform lots of bullshit work.. same as any other civilian job. Only your bosses have additional options to fuck with you like making you do pushups or do janitor work like picking up trash or cleaning. Lots and lots of cleaning.

However I've done lots of cool shit, even as a Finance soldier. I've driven humvees on starless nights with night vision goggles through trails in the woods, I've fired 203s (lil gernade launchers slung underneath M16s), 249s (light machine guns), 50 cals and AT4s (missile launchers). I've flown in black hawks and Chinooks on FST missions, ridden in stryker convoys through territory with weapons loaded, been gassed, done water survival training, kicked down doors and cleared buildings in our own bumbling lol-swat style, and done ruck marches through sand storms, in the pouring rain in the forest. Even finance, the last soldiers anyone would ever want to see in an actual fight get to do some cool shit.

But most of the time ours is a boring office job, I giggle at the people who are scared of joining the military because they are afraid of combat. If you weren't dropped as a child and can score a halfway decent ASVAB score you have the option of picking an MOS where the likelihood of you ever being shot at is minuscule. Instead you should think more about what you are willing to sacrifice for that easy steady paycheck that won't make you rich but leads to an easy and comfortable life. Are you willing to get up so early in the morning to do physical training, are you willing to give your bosses complete control over your entire life, where they can and will make you work overtime without extra pay? Who can come into your area and inspect whatever the hell they want, fuck your privacy? And you can't just quit whenever you feel like it, that contract binds you. The military life can be fun as hell and the opportunities and programs available to you are quit frankly ridiculous. But if you are a selfish self-centered prick with an over-inflated ego and sense of self worth.. well you will be bitter and hate life. Think long and hard before you join. Those "gangstas" who are always worried about respect, personal space and shit might think twice. But the military life can be fun and rewarding if you get into the mindset. But if you are just looking for the easy paycheck.. the paycheck part is easy but the happiness well.. it is what you make of it.

Don't get their hopes up, I scored a 93 in the ASVAB but the fact that I was just a residence automatically made me unqualified for many jobs (specially the high engineering positions)

Hell, when I went to the detailer, my only 2 options were welder or corpsman....yes, I, a guy that scored a 93 without even opening a book for the past 3 years, got only those 2 options.

WanderingWind

Noshino said:
Don't get their hopes up, I scored a 93 in the ASVAB but the fact that I was just a residence automatically made me unqualified for many jobs (specially the high engineering positions)

Hell, when I went to the detailer, my only 2 options were welder or corpsman....yes, I, a guy that scored a 93 without even opening a book for the past 3 years, got only those 2 options.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Dude, your recruiter fucked you. Hard.

You should have qualified for anything that did not require a Top Secret security clearance, unless there is more that you did that complicated matters.

BTW, that would mean a ton of jobs would be open to you. Your recruiter needed those jobs slots filled and conned you, man.

Noshino said:

Damn that sucks. My Army recruiter tried something similar. I told them about my debt issues and they told me that I'll be limited in selecting my MOS. They offered me 5 positions, all of which were combat related. I told them I didn't want combat and that I at least wanted to do EMT or something that I can take to the civilian world. They told me that there were no jobs open but these. When I tried to ask them if I could just take the ASVAB test and see what I can get, they told me that it's pointless and that the jobs would be the same.

After that, I left and came back a few days later and enlisted with the Navy. Fuckers straight out lied and when I did take the ASVAB test, I had a ton of rates open to me, including engineering and aviation positions.

There were a few army recruits at MEPS that were also lied to. One was promised a combat medic position by his recruiter. When he talked to the counselor, they told him that there was no medic position being saved or on hold for him. He ended up going infantry.

Noshino

WanderingWind said:

You should have qualified for anything that did not require a Top Secret security clearance, unless there is more that you did that complicated matters.

BTW, that would mean a ton of jobs would be open to you. Your recruiter needed those jobs slots filled and conned you, man.

Yah I know, the fuckers told me that I could change my rate later on, yeah right....

As for the clearance, that isn't true. As a matter of fact, to be on the nuclear field alone you NEED to be a citizen to be given clearance.

Masta_Killah said:
Damn that sucks. My Army recruiter tried something similar. I told them about my debt issues and they told me that I'll be limited in selecting my MOS. They offered me 5 positions, all of which were combat related. I told them I didn't want combat and that I at least wanted to do EMT or something that I can take to the civilian world. They told me that there were no jobs open but these. When I tried to ask them if I could just take the ASVAB test and see what I can get, they told me that it's pointless and that the jobs would be the same.

After that, I left and came back a few days later and enlisted with the Navy. Fuckers straight out lied and when I did take the ASVAB test, I had a ton of rates open to me, including engineering and aviation positions.

There were a few army recruits at MEPS that were also lied to. One was promised a combat medic position by his recruiter. When he talked to the counselor, they told him that there was no medic position being saved or on hold for him. He ended up going infantry.

Im in the Navy... :lol

WanderingWind

Noshino said:
Yah I know, the fuckers told me that I could change my rate later on, yeah right....

As for the clearance, that isn't true. As a matter of fact, to be on the nuclear field alone you NEED to be a citizen to be given clearance.

I don't understand what you're trying to say there.

EDIT: So you're saying that you have to be an American citizen to be given certain clearances. That's exactly what I said, too.

Noshino said:

:lol

Just making a point that recruiters lie. I've caught my Navy recruiters lying as well, but not to the extent that my army recruiter went to.

What rate did you end up getting? Also, couldn't you just wait and try to get the rate you wanted? Nothing wrong with waiting a few months for the one that you want. I really find it hard to believe that those 2 rates were the only ones available for a non-citizen. Also, couldn't you change rates after 18 or so months? I know there's some hurdles to doing it, but the option is there.

You also reminded me of this one Russian guy that was trying to get into the Navy when I was at MEPS. He wasn't a citizen either and I was wondering why he was gone by 2 pm that day, while the other guys were there till 5-6 pm. I'm guessing he had the same issue as you and didn't like what was offered.

Kite

WanderingWind said:

lol pretty much you got fucked hard, should have done more research and gone to a different recruiter or waited for the next month and seeing what positions opened up. Though I have heard that enlisting is getting tougher because of the bad economy, the quality of recruits is going up so that 93 asvab score + debt problems may not get you as far as it use to. However I know many soldiers in finance who are not citizens, and many human resources and paralegal guys at AIT who weren't citizens. However their credit scores were decent so.. Finance only needs a Secret clearance but a certain credit score. We roll around iraq with half a mil in a $15 backpack, sometimes the temptation is there xD

I kid I kid

Noshino

WanderingWind said:
I don't understand what you're trying to say there.

EDIT: So you're saying that you have to be an American citizen to be given certain clearances. That's exactly what I said, too.

Oh, I was just mentioning that the naval nuclear field does not require top secret security clearance....

Masta_Killah said:
:lol

Just making a point that recruiters lie. I've caught my Navy recruiters lying as well, but not to the extent that my army recruiter went to.

What rate did you end up getting? Also, couldn't you just wait and try to get the rate you wanted? Nothing wrong with waiting a few months for the one that you want. I really find it hard to believe that those 2 rates were the only ones available for a non-citizen. Also, couldn't you change rates after 18 or so months? I know there's some hurdles to doing it, but the option is there.

You also reminded me of this one Russian guy that was trying to get into the Navy when I was at MEPS. He wasn't a citizen either and I was wondering why he was gone by 2 pm that day, while the other guys were there till 5-6 pm. I'm guessing he had the same issue as you and didn't like what was offered.

Well, I could have waited, but at the time I signed up, the waiting period was of 1 year, and it was expected to increase.

I went with HM, Hospital Corpsman, and at first I was merely ok with it, but now I found it pretty fun, my instructor is a HM2 FMF/CAC, the guy is nuts, he gives lectures with his helmet on :lol

You can switch rates after 2 years. If I don't like HM, I ll probably change to the nuclear engineering field. Im already working on my citizenship paperwork :)

Noshino said:
Well, I could have waited, but at the time I signed up, the waiting period was of 1 year, and it was expected to increase.

I went with HM, Hospital Corpsman, and at first I was merely ok with it, but now I found it pretty fun, my instructor is a HM2 FMF/CAC, the guy is nuts, he gives lectures with his helmet on :lol

You can switch rates after 2 years. If I don't like HM, I ll probably change to the nuclear engineering field. Im already working on my citizenship paperwork :)

That's good to hear, man. I was also worried about availability of rates when I went since I've read online that the Navy was downsizing. Luckily, my recruiter planned my visit to MEPS to coincide with the beginning of the month. He told me that the military usually gets the list updated with new jobs at the beginning. I got even more lucky since the day I was supposed to go(July 1/2), my visit to MEPS was delayed because they wanted to process the people shipping out before anyone else. I get rescheduled for the 5/6th and MEPS is basically dead (thank you 4th of July!). Still had to wait till 5 pm to get out, but because there wasn't a lot of people, the doctors and nurses were pretty chill. I didn't get to experience the horror stories that some people have posted online.

Calantus

Masta_Killah said:
That's good to hear, man. I was also worried about availability of rates when I went since I've read online that the Navy was downsizing. Luckily, my recruiter planned my visit to MEPS to coincide with the beginning of the month. He told me that the military usually gets the list updated with new jobs at the beginning. I got even more lucky since the day I was supposed to go(July 1/2), my visit to MEPS was delayed because they wanted to process the people shipping out before anyone else. I get rescheduled for the 5/6th and MEPS is basically dead (thank you 4th of July!). Still had to wait till 5 pm to get out, but because there wasn't a lot of people, the doctors and nurses were pretty chill. I didn't get to experience the horror stories that some people have posted online.

MEPs is over rated, very nerve racking but it does not live up to the stories. At least it didn't for me.

theultimo

Kite said:
lol pretty much you got fucked hard, should have done more research and gone to a different recruiter or waited for the next month and seeing what positions opened up. Though I have heard that enlisting is getting tougher because of the bad economy, the quality of recruits is going up so that 93 asvab score + debt problems may not get you as far as it use to. However I know many soldiers in finance who are not citizens, and many human resources and paralegal guys at AIT who weren't citizens. However their credit scores were decent so.. Finance only needs a Secret clearance but a certain credit score. We roll around iraq with half a mil in a $15 backpack, sometimes the temptation is there xD

I kid I kid
I keep a TS for my job. I hate renewing it every 5 years and have random people interviewed that I knew from 15 years ago to see what type of person I am. Otherwise, in the tech field, all you need is a Secret and an GT score of 100 for starting work. If you get E5 or higher, the requirements grow up to TS.

Remember, this is the #1 reason why people can not get the MOS they want. Secret clearances can be hard to get, and most of the army now requires it.

wait. How the fuck does America keep convincing people to join the army when the pay is that shit?

How patriotic ARE you guys?

Aussies get paid a fair bit, and I still dont think we get a lot of people joining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom