• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ars Techniica: Sony will wake a sleeping HDR beast via firmware. Rigby mentioned!

Yes, this is what I'm saying, Rigby was right about that aspect.

It's hard to find good answers but there isn't a huge difference in physical structure between the discs, if it can read a triple layer blu ray, then the rest is encoding I think. I'm not certain.

There are some LG drives that can be flashed to read UHDs, it's not out of the question.

Its actually really easy to find good answers.
Here is one, for instance: https://twitter.com/Rob_Crossley_/status/773616813959745536

Dunkley

No he was not.

People confusing HDR with UHD all over the place.

He guesses in the OP of his thread that the HDMI ports are far more capable than what they lead on to be, he was right on the sense that HDR wouldn't be possible to patch in on 1.4 HDMI controllers.

Audioboxer

Has Rigby posted yet? He's the kind of bloke that ignores the recognition and his first post since making it big again ends up some 3,000 word jargon based essay, not a "told you so, lol I win".

Ars said:
High dynamic range displays require just as much data throughput for so much color and luminosity data. The two leading HDR specs, HDR-10 and Dolby Vision, require no less than an "HDMI 2.0a" spec, which supplants the higher-bandwidth requirements of 2.0 with "additional metadata" required to enable the transmission/reception of such HDR content. There is no HDMI "1.4a" to offer the same boosts to HDR-ready 1080p displays. To ride the HDR train, your device better be rated HDMI 2.0a, or you're getting kicked off.
Of course – I was referring to the HDMI 2.0a requirement for both HDR and UHD. So if they can flash the firmware to support HDR, that seems to support the notion, or am I missing something?

UHD requires HDMI 2.0, HDR requires 2.0a, which is even more demanding, and the OG PS4 will have it next week...
Ars is very wrong. Dolby Vision only requires HDMI 1.4.

timlot

Banned
Will be interesting to see how Sony is doing HDR on PS4 with a firmware update. True HDR requires HDMI 2.0 hardware. PS4 has a Panasonic MN86471A HDMI transmitter. Which is a HDMI 1.4 chip. HDMI 1.4 has some increase color gamut capabilities, but real HDR requires specific hardware and software. Interesting note there are no 1080p HDR tvs. All the more curious why Sony didn't include 4K upscaling capabilities in the new PS4 slim since those sets are where you will find HDR.

GlamFM

Banned
Read through the article.

Got to give it to Rigby, he fought through all the bullshit that we gave him.

Brave.

JohngPR

If ps4 pro doesn't even have "true" 4k, so I'm inclined to believe that it's not "true" HDR...

It's an on/off sort of thing for HDR on TV's. I'm not entirely sure you can trick a TV into doing HDR. There are some TV's that have a faux HDR mode, but that's something different. We'll know for sure next week I guess.

Also, just because most games won't run native 4K doesn't mean that the Pro isn't capable of running native 4k.

Yeah, thanks for that.

Listen I think it's reasonable to not ever expect the drives to get a UHD update, for lots of reasons, I just don't think the idea that it was possible – a long, long way from probable – was outlandish, that's all.

I don't want to harp on this but it's not the same drive. It can't be updated to read 4K discs, anymore than your dvd drive can be updated to read blu Ray. Multiple people on the engineering side of both companies have said this, and it's been well documented in the infamous UHD consoles shipped in 2013 thread. Which they didn't. This is why this conspiracy propagates. It was an outlandish notion, absolutely.

I don't want to harp on this but it's not the same drive. It can't be updated to read 4K discs, anymore than your dvd drive can be updated to read blu Ray. Multiple people on the engineering side of both companies have said this, and it's been well documented in the infamous UHD consoles shipped in 2013 thread. Which they didn't. This is why this conspiracy propagates. It was an outlandish notion, absolutely.
Quite outlandish. It's just not possible.

HDR10 requires updated metadata and deep color (10 bpp). I wouldn't be surprised if the original PS4's hdmi controller was updated to support hdmi 2.0a metadata, but can only output at 1.4b resolution rates.

ethomaz

Banned
I believe if PS4 supports HDR then it can support UBD via firmware too.

That means the HDMI Controller have indeed bandwidth to be HDMI 2.0 compliance.

LordofPwn

Wow at no Dolby vision support either

gotta pay dolby those fees if you want it, whereas HDR-10 is open.

Concerning all the Jeff talk:
Jeff was talking about the consoles shipping with UHD Bluray, this is incorrect. he said the HDMI could be upgraded via firmware which was correct, though Sony had done this before. He also said the drives themselves could be firmware upgraded to support UHD BD, this is incorrect still. he also said PS4 was capable of outputting UHD resolution, which was true from day one thanks to Play Memories, many people forget about this, Jeff included. In order to play UHD Media like movies from a UHD Bluray the HDCP would also need to be updated and this may be a hardware limitation. will have to wait and see on this point still.

Alec

Rigby was right...

Well even a wrong clock is right twice a day.

I mean, if the clock is wrong then it's never right.

But if it's broken, then yeah, it's right twice a day.

ilu

Edit: Ah, you fixed it you sneak.

Well it won't. Because the optical drive is wrong. Does anyone read anymore? Have you no reason left, ye GAF?

Oppo

I don't know about this. I find lots of conflicting info that states 2.0 is the baseline.

Ok, fair enough! I have no dog in this fight personally, I'll never buy a UHD, but thanks for the update.

This is my fear, that they are calling Dolby Vision "HDR" and calling it a day. HDR10, which is the more popular standard is 2.0a only.

Ironically my Sony TV only supports HDR 10. So if ps4 only does Dolby vision via the firmware update I get nothing out of it.

I got a good laugh out of this, thanks OP.

Side Note: Has Jeff posted since the Neo/Pro reveal yesterday? People were joking in one of the other threads about him being on "Suicide Watch" Re: the "Pro has no UHD player" problem. Lol But, joking aside, I'm actually curious to read some of his thoughts on Sony's decision....

LordofPwn

This is my fear, that they are calling Dolby Vision "HDR" and calling it a day. HDR10, which is the more popular standard is 2.0a only.
Dolby Vision supports up to 12bit color whereas HDR-10 only supports 10bit.
Dolby Vision is the Pro/Cinema HDR Standard, they want to be the THX of visuals.
HDR-10 is opensource HDR standard, which means it's cheap for manufacturers, but they'll still charge you an arm and a leg for.

you need more than an updated HDMI to support that.

Ironically my Sony TV only supports HDR 10. So if ps4 only does Dolby vision via the firmware update I get nothing out of it.
if something supports Dolby Vision it also supports HDR-10.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
gotta pay dolby those fees if you want it, whereas HDR-10 is open.

Concerning all the Jeff talk:
Jeff was talking about the consoles shipping with UHD Bluray, this is incorrect. he said the HDMI could be upgraded via firmware which was correct, though Sony had done this before. He also said the drives themselves could be firmware upgraded to support UHD BD, this is incorrect still. he also said PS4 was capable of outputting UHD resolution, which was true from day one thanks to Play Memories, many people forget about this, Jeff included. In order to play UHD Media like movies from a UHD Bluray the HDCP would also need to be updated and this may be a hardware limitation. will have to wait and see on this point still.

Thanks for the concise breakdown.

Andrew House isn't an official enough source for GAF

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...o-our-approach-isnt-reactive-this-time-around

He says it in the second paragraph, quoting just for interest sake since no one will read it. It does say a lot about the problematic messaging going forward tho if here, on a dedicated games forum, many people cannot tell the difference between UHD and HDR, and either think they are the same or interchangeable. What will the average consumer think?

nomis

Did Rigby also prophesize that Sony would ship two different consoles without UHD bluray playback in 2016?

That might have actually impressed me

If ps4 pro doesn't even have "true" 4k, so I'm inclined to believe that it's not "true" HDR...

Oof...

I sure hope this isn't a genuine statement.

If it is, GAF has a long way to go to understanding 4k and HDR.

These two things aren't even related.

I don't believe that's possible. Dolby requires proprietary hardware to decode and use. Sony certainly didn't build that into the PS4. Perhaps it's possible to somehow get the PS4 to pull the Dolby code and give it to the TV which can then translate and use it appropriately, but I doubt it (Or at the very least, and I cannot imagine them doing it).

JohngPR

Dolby Vision supports up to 12bit color whereas HDR-10 only supports 10bit.
Dolby Vision is the Pro/Cinema HDR Standard, they want to be the THX of visuals.
HDR-10 is opensource HDR standard, which means it's cheap for manufacturers, but they'll still charge you an arm and a leg for.

you need more than an updated HDMI to support that.

if something supports Dolby Vision it also supports HDR-10.

Not true.

Exhibit B

EDIT: While Dolby Vision capable TV sets can support HDR 10, not all HDR 10 TVs can support Dolby Vision.

Alec

I need a good 8-Port HDMI switch that supports 4K and HDR.

Possible to support 4K at 60fps?

Top Bottom