• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arstechnica: Don’t read too much into the PS4’s million day-one sales

kurbaan

Banned
If anything all the anecdotal stories about stores getting at least 2 to 4 times more Ps4s then Ones seems to confirm that Microsoft is having some kind of problem. Normally I wouldn't put much stock in it, but when pretty much everyone says the same thing there has to be something to it.

Four more days and we will know for sure. Right now I am thinking that even if the demand is there(and it probably is) Microsoft just doesn't have the units to put up the numbers the Ps4 did in NA. Will probably have to combine worldwide number to get close or surpass the Ps4s North American showing.

I am pretty sure MS is gonna have more than a million xbones on launch. Even if they do it doesn't mean they aren't having issues with yields and stuff. Sony had a million and more coming just for NA. Plus probably however much hey have for EU. MS probably has half of that.

Almighty

I am pretty sure MS is gonna have more than a million xbones on launch. Even if they do it doesn't mean they aren't having issues with yields and stuff. Sony had a million and more coming just for NA. Plus probably however much hey have for EU. MS probably has half of that.

That's my bet as well. Of course I always leave the door open that their problems are much worse then I think.

Nothing bad about waiting for more data to asses a situation. We cannot disagree with that really.

I think the reason some people get a tad annoyed, and i can see their point of view, with these kinds of articles is that we have had, oh i dont know, a million articles in the last 2-3 years telling us how consoles were dying, how this was the last generation, how you were going to be playing games on a tablet for the rest of your life.

So now that a console has set a unprecedented record, there is this call for patience and "lets wait and see!" yet that same attitude was not taken when the doom n' gloom was cast over the console industry on a consistent basis.
It's similar to pre-2001 Apple news (hard to believe now since they've become such tech press darlings). "Beleaguered" was the word frequently used.

I thought it was a certified CBOAT Truthfact that they were having yield issues. Has anything changed since then?
It's possible, Xbox's SoC is larger.

It's also possible Xbox was planned to launch in 2014, and they only recently began production when Sony announced PS4. So they had to push the launch ahead with smaller supply.

Either way it's pretty obvious they won't have as much supply at launch.

Joni

If anything all the anecdotal stories about stores getting at least 2 to 4 times more Ps4s then Ones seems to confirm that Microsoft is having some kind of problem.
The PlayStation 4 has an exceptional amount of launch consoles. One million consoles for a launch worldwide would be high, Sony managed to deliver that much to just America. If Microsoft manages half a million consoles worldwide, it would be in line with the Xbox 360 and it would explain a 1-4 difference without any exceptional yield issues.

Almighty

The PlayStation 4 has an exceptional amount of launch consoles. One million consoles for a launch worldwide would be high, Sony managed to deliver that much to just America. If Microsoft manages half a million consoles worldwide, it would be in line with the Xbox 360 and it would explain a 1-4 difference without any exceptional yield issues.

Sure by itself it doesn't mean that Micosoft is having yield issues, but taken with the CBOAT rumor, who seems to be pretty accurate most of the time, and it does give credence to that being the case. Though without more info there is really no way to prove it one way or the other.

Quantity of consoles available is not an indicator of yield issues.

It was the reduction of launch countries that was most damning in the yield issues rumour.

Buzzati

Banned
I'm interested in this new direction in media.

IKEN4j4.png

408122441.jpg

Apparently, showing a high level of disdain for the audience and insulting them is the new tactic? Because we're seeing it time and time again now, as a matter of course.

I guess these guys don't like to have their faux "authority" challenged by the unwashed masses of readers/consumers, and they are trying desperately to cling to some sort of sense of sovereignty over "their turf."

But it seems a fool's errand, as people are more and more connected than ever. With both social media and newer media like YouTube "let's play..." becoming more and more commonplace, their position and their sense of power over the way the editorial conversation is framed has been slowly eroded. Now, with the tools for live streaming and instant feedback direct from gamers to other gamers becoming a technological standard in these new boxes, that slow erosion of their perch atop gaming opinion-making has sped up to the pace of a wrecking ball.

Rather than accept this, and figure out a way to roll with it and keep the readership they have, these guys are lashing out like children at their own consumers. If it didn't come with so many insults and incriminations, it would be somewhat amusing that these folks in the now-traditional web media outlets are making many of the same mistakes that the old-guard of print media made many years ago when they tried to hold back the tide of the internet. But instead, it's just sad.

That so many writers and editorial folk are choosing to go the route of indicting the readers and consumers is so off-putting that it's hard to be sympathetic to them, even though this coming consumer media revolution will certainly find more and more of them unemployed. Instead, I find myself reading their comments, saying "good riddance," and hoping the pace of their eventual irrelevance comes sooner rather than later.

Anytime anybody stoops to the level of using blowjob references or calling people "tards," they've lost their moral authority to criticize others as childish or whatever they are accusing the vocal consumers of today.

You are taking the "Get as many clicks as possible" business model too personally.

Um... what? There were three consoles in that generation. One of them sold a good deal more units than the other two, which sold about equal.

Even if you're only talking about North America where PS3 lags behind 360, the Wii is still well ahead. What is their definition of dominant here?

"One of the most dominant consoles of its generation" doesn't really need a definition, because it's meaningless. The Xbox 360 generation only included 3 consoles, so "one of the most dominant" basically means...top 3?

You are taking the "Get as many clicks as possible" business model too personally.

What does either one of those tweets have to do with this supposed "get as many clicks as possible business model" thing you are talking about? These tweets aren't about promoting anything. They are just insulting people in an attempt to "circle the wagons" and protect their own.

NHale

Don't know if it's true or not because they usually pull numbers out of their ass but on a Sony Iberia presentation to Iberian retailers it was said SCEE intends to ship 2 million consoles to European countries until the end of December (launch + December 13th).

So I'm guessing the plan is almost the same for North America. Another big shipment before Christmas, although European retailers were recently informed that there is a small possibility they will receive another big shipment right before Christmas (December 22nd or 23rd).

Slair

I think this generation will be a repeat of the PS2 generation because there is one aspect that is identical, which obviously means the generation will play out in exactly the same fashion:

If you were to throw each of the 3 consoles at someones head the Xbox/bone would crush it, the PS2/4 would slice itself into it and the Gamecube/WiiU would bounce off.

Cheech

Why on earth wouldn't MS announce that they had at least equal pre-orders to the PS4 if that were the case? What would they lose?

Because they clearly can't make as many as Sony could.

At the end of the day, both Sony and Microsoft will sell through their initial shipments within the first few days. Sony will sell more, as there are more systems to sell. Both companies could have sold more if they had been able to make more.

Nearly every console launch goes like this, the Wii U and Vita being notable recent exceptions.

This is a pretty embarrassing tweet.

Reading his Twitter... this "PC Master Race" shit is embarrassing and racist as fuck. It's sad how many people gladly use it daily.

Using "Master Race" for anything is pretty tasteless. I like Ars, but they do have some immature writers over there.

kyser73

There have been a lot of posts like this, so I'm quoting you two as representative rather than to single you two out.

I've read most (but not all) pages of the thread, and a few articles on the 1m sales number, but most seem to be missing what I think is the real story. It's pretty weak reasoning to dismiss the launch sales with arguments as Ars presented: "if the other systems had as many units on sale, they'd have sold as many", or something like that. The real story was the supply, not the demand.

The question to ask is, why didn't any previous console launch have enough units on sale, if that demand was there? You gotta both drive up demand and have units to sell. Why is it that only Sony was able to crank out this many for their launch?

Console launches are massive, years in the making logistical challenges. I'd love some journalist to ask the question, "Why was Sony able to have over one million PS4's available for sale in North American day 1, when no other system could pull it off, despite supposedly having the demand?" And then follow that thought through. What about the PS4's design enabled it to be manufactured more easily than prior consoles? How did Sony overcome supply line bottlenecks? What are the logistical challenges in getting that many units into the channel so fast? What were the specific lessons Sony learned from the launch of prior Playstations that enabled them to achieve this result? (We can surmise some of the answers on our own, of course.)

How did Sony pull this off when no one else ever has, if prior launches had enough demand? That's the real story here and Ars missed it entirely. The author would do readers a greater service to dig into that question and do a little journalism rather than just dismiss the impressive launch numbers with "well the other guys had lots of demand too" stories. But that's harder, of course.

Heh. That would require a bit more effort that knocking out 1000 words on a Sunday evening with some minimal googling for sales numbers.

emb

I agree with their premise: impressive launch numbers do not always add up to impressive long term sales.

I think in this case they're very possibly a good indication though. We'll probably have a clearer picture some time next week, but the situation all around seems to be in the PS4's favor.

Slayven

I'm interested in this new direction in media.

IKEN4j4.png

408122441.jpg

Apparently, showing a high level of disdain for the audience and insulting them is the new tactic? Because we're seeing it time and time again now, as a matter of course.

I guess these guys don't like to have their faux "authority" challenged by the unwashed masses of readers/consumers, and they are trying desperately to cling to some sort of sense of sovereignty over "their turf."

But it seems a fool's errand, as people are more and more connected than ever. With both social media and newer media like YouTube "let's play..." becoming more and more commonplace, their position and their sense of power over the way the editorial conversation is framed has been slowly eroded. Now, with the tools for live streaming and instant feedback direct from gamers to other gamers becoming a technological standard in these new boxes, that slow erosion of their perch atop gaming opinion-making has sped up to the pace of a wrecking ball.

Rather than accept this, and figure out a way to roll with it and keep the readership they have, these guys are lashing out like children at their own consumers. If it didn't come with so many insults and incriminations, it would be somewhat amusing that these folks in the now-traditional web media outlets are making many of the same mistakes that the old-guard of print media made many years ago when they tried to hold back the tide of the internet. But instead, it's just sad.

That so many writers and editorial folk are choosing to go the route of indicting the readers and consumers is so off-putting that it's hard to be sympathetic to them, even though this coming consumer media revolution will certainly find more and more of them unemployed. Instead, I find myself reading their comments, saying "good riddance," and hoping the pace of their eventual irrelevance comes sooner rather than later.

Anytime anybody stoops to the level of using blowjob references or calling people "tards," they've lost their moral authority to criticize others as childish or whatever they are accusing the vocal consumers of today.
And Game Journalists wonder why people don't respect them. Not even Wizard magzine was this bad.

unbias

I really dont care that they insult their readers, fine whatever, readers insult too. However when you do it behind twitter it is pretty obnoxious. If you wana open your mouth about gamers do it in a sport where you can actually tell them properly why they are wrong/stupid. Doing it through twitter is just devoid of anything resembling a good argument.

Slayven

I really dont care that they insult their readers, fine whatever, readers insult too. However when you do it behind twitter it is pretty obnoxious. If you wana open your mouth about gamers do it in a sport where you can actually tell them properly why they are wrong/stupid. Doing it through twitter is just devoid of anything resembling a good argument.

I don't think they can.

Amir0x

Banned
There have been a lot of posts like this, so I'm quoting you two as representative rather than to single you two out.

I've read most (but not all) pages of the thread, and a few articles on the 1m sales number, but most seem to be missing what I think is the real story. It's pretty weak reasoning to dismiss the launch sales with arguments as Ars presented: "if the other systems had as many units on sale, they'd have sold as many", or something like that. The real story was the supply, not the demand.

The question to ask is, why didn't any previous console launch have enough units on sale, if that demand was there? You gotta both drive up demand and have units to sell. Why is it that only Sony was able to crank out this many for their launch?

Console launches are massive, years in the making logistical challenges. I'd love some journalist to ask the question, "Why was Sony able to have over one million PS4's available for sale in North American day 1, when no other system could pull it off, despite supposedly having the demand?" And then follow that thought through. What about the PS4's design enabled it to be manufactured more easily than prior consoles? How did Sony overcome supply line bottlenecks? What are the logistical challenges in getting that many units into the channel so fast? What were the specific lessons Sony learned from the launch of prior Playstations that enabled them to achieve this result? (We can surmise some of the answers on our own, of course.)

How did Sony pull this off when no one else ever has, if prior launches had enough demand? That's the real story here and Ars missed it entirely. The author would do readers a greater service to dig into that question and do a little journalism rather than just dismiss the impressive launch numbers with "well the other guys had lots of demand too" stories. But that's harder, of course.

This is a FANTASTIC post and exactly right. This right here is something I would like to know too. It would inform me about something I did not know before. It would give me insight into potential future strategies for companies. It could allow me to be better informed as a consumer. And it's a real story, it means something.

I hope some enterprising member of the gaming press shameless rips this idea (with credit, of course) and makes an article just like that.

This is a FANTASTIC post and exactly right. This right here is something I would like to know too. It would inform me about something I did not know before. It would give me insight into potential future strategies for companies. It could allow me to be better informed as a consumer. And it's a real story, it means something.

I hope some enterprising member of the gaming press shameless rips this idea (with credit, of course) and makes an article just like that.
I'm glad you quoted that; I missed it when it was first posted.

It's a great post; GhaleonEB brings up a lot of good points and questions.

Zing

Banned
Wishing people would lose their jobs because of a harmless observation about the behavior of rabid fans, and then calling THEM deplorable human beings, is irony.
"Harmless"?

Besides, people who's job appears to serve no practical function should probably not be employed in the first place. Unless these guys are employed by Microsoft, which in that case they have earned their keep.

diffusionx

Gold Member

I don't think this question is as interesting as you think it is, and it's also much deeper than just "asking Sony" or "doing some real work."

The market is much bigger than it was in the past, the PS4 uses more off-the-shelf parts (BR diodes and Cell CPUs had fantastically terrible yields in 2006), and manufacturing across the CE industry has improved and scaled up a great deal. Think about it how many more iPhones Apple is making these days than they were in 2008 or hell even 2011. The amount they get out the door at launch was simply unimaginable even that recently. A great deal more consumer electronics gizmos are coming off factory lines than there ever were in 2006 or 2000.

I think Orland is more right than not here, it's just one day, we don't know how it will play out over time, it's too soon to tell. I know fanboys will have a field day with NPD reports and all that, as they always do, but this is a long game.

This is a pretty embarrassing tweet.

Reading his Twitter... this "PC Master Race" shit is embarrassing and racist as fuck. It's sad how many people gladly use it daily.

The oddness in all of this is that which they accuse consolers of being, foamed-at-the-mouth fanboys, is precisely the demeanor they are portraying with their actions albeit in support of their PC god.

I cut my gaming teeth on the PC and still use it to a degree, but it is quite obvious they are the ones wracked with adolescent angst and rage no one is lining up at Best Buy for the latest PC video card release. They are in the throes of a tantrum that Gamestop isn't being bombarded with demands they carry the latest gaming rigs in store.

Someone is smarting in the 4th point of contact alright and it is Anandtech.

Butthurt? He is more butthurt than the good looking towel boy (the effeminate one) at the San Francisco Public Steambaths circa 1982.

antibolo

Banned
It's just sad how so many people can't seem to grasp the concept that when Ben Croshaw made that "PC master race" joke, it was to take a piss at the condescending PC gamer stereotype by comparing it to racial supremacist ideology, and definitely not something you're supposed to proudly identify yourself with.

Nunchucks

Banned
It's just sad how so many people can't seem to grasp the concept that when Ben Croshaw made that "PC master race" joke, it was to take a piss at the condescending PC gamer stereotype by comparing it to racial supremacist ideology, and definitely not something you're supposed to proudly identify yourself with.

Pretty sure they identify with it in a joking way. Kind of like "reappropriating" it.

antibolo

Banned
Pretty sure they identify with it in a joking way. Kind of like "reappropriating" it.

Well that's the thing, those people are not so much "reappropriating" it as they are fully embracing it, creating an Internet subculture where being a condescending asshole about preferring to play video games on PC is justified and encouraged.

Over the past two years since that "PC master race" joke was made, this sort of corrosive behavior has increased tenfold.

Nunchucks

Banned
Well that's the thing, those people are not so much "reappropriating" it as they are fully embracing it, creating an Internet subculture where being a condescending asshole about preferring to play video games on PC is justified and encouraged.

Over the past two years since that "PC master race" joke was made, this sort of corrosive behavior has increased tenfold.

Eh I think that's the definition of reappropriating. It was used to make fun of them, and they turned around and used it as a term of endearment amongst themselves.

And PC only users will always be elitist, that's just the nature of the stronger/expensive hardware.

KoopaTheCasual

PC ain't shit until it has a Mayor Nelson equivalent.
He got promoted?

Wow, thanks to Amir0x for quoting this, I missed it the first time around as well. Now THAT's a story that should have been the focal point of this article. I'm actually really curious to understand this myself.

Skilletor

I missed this post, but this is exactly right. People dismissing this because, "WELL OF COURSE THEY CAN SALE THAT MANY" are ignoring the fact that nobody has done this before, and the questions that need to be asked are exactly what you've outlined.

It's an amazing feat by Sony showing that they've got their shit together for this launch.

Top Bottom