• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Art GAF ~ Anybody doing INKTOBER?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWERD

kZY9uVZ.jpg

I dunno if it will be all horror ish themed or not. Or this intricate. We will see.

PS I cant wait to see more from you Raging, you are ballin.

That's really freaking awesome man...well done.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Dang, you all are so good. ;_;

This is my first time participating in Inktober, hopefully I'll come out of it more confident with the medium.

What pens/brushes is everyone using? I have the Pentel pocket brush pen (that I badly need to refill) and a couple of Copic sketch markers.

Jhoan

Here's day 4 which was straight up from my imagination and I started with a charcoal pencil sketch. It was an automatic drawing so the result was a sci-fi inspired drawing. It felt good to draw from my imagination for a change.

Day 5 drawing coming soon. Day 6 drawing is going to be a linoleum print that I'm working on for my Graphic Arts Workshop class. I'll finish carving it out tomorrow and make the print.

@YesNOnoNOYes, your style reminds me of CB who posts in the Drawing A Day thread. It's similar in the detailed line work.

@ExMachina, I'm only using a 01 and 05 Micron Pen at the moment or a ballpoint pen I but definitely want to go to the art supply store to get some brush pens and a few more Micron pens since I feel like the ink is running out. Never used Copic markers but they sound interesting. Might look into checking out one or two at least.

Timo

What pens/brushes is everyone using? I have the Pentel pocket brush pen (that I badly need to refill) and a couple of Copic sketch markers.

Windsor Newton series 7 size 2 brush and sumi ink (with white opaque deleter #2 ink for white splatter and cleanup). Day 4 was a copout small skull thing because i was tired, i need to get started on todays when i get home.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Day 5 - Weather's getting cool enough to wear fall clothes, finally.

@ExMachina, I'm only using a 01 and 05 Micron Pen at the moment or a ballpoint pen I but definitely want to go to the art supply store to get some brush pens and a few more Micron pens since I feel like the ink is running out. Never used Copic markers but they sound interesting. Might look into checking out one or two at least.

Microns are great, you've reminded me to pick up another set. :) I kept hearing stories about how amazing Copics were but always balked at the price... now that I've used them I can see that their reputation is well earned. So definitely give them a try if you get the chance!

Windsor Newton series 7 size 2 brush and sumi ink (with white opaque deleter #2 ink for white splatter and cleanup). Day 4 was a copout small skull thing because i was tired, i need to get started on todays when i get home.
Added to my wishlist... I'll try actual brushes and sumi ink someday when I level up, heh.

Timo

jwSk8IC.jpg

Day 5. This dude man. This fuckin dude. Fuck this dude. Scared me as a kid, no lie, the memories from when i saw bits and pieces were terrifying, but upon a rewatch, dudes a clown.

Added to my wishlist... I'll try actual brushes and sumi ink someday when I level up, heh.

The brush may be hard to get right now, last time I checked they still had a ban on them in america (the fur they use for the brush is in some legal shit right now, kolinsky sable hair, google it). Get the sumi ink in the green bottle though, that stuff is slightly waterproofish, where the black bottle is not at all. They have this stuff at most art stores for cheaper, so this is just for reference for brand and the look of the bottle

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000AMLR8M/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Oh yeah, this was my cop out day 4 post cause I was tired as mess.

DJE6p3H.jpg

and to everyone with the nice things to say: Thanks a lot! I'm kinda using this as a good kick in the ass to make finished things (i've done nothing but sketch for months now pretty much). It is mad appreciated though.

YesNOnoNOYes, those are beautiful!

Thank you <3

@YesNOnoNOYes, your style reminds me of CB who posts in the Drawing A Day thread. It's similar in the detailed line work.

Oh? I'll have to look up that thread :D

yesnononoyes, those are great.

Thanks! Yours are awesome tooo

Actually everyone's works are very inspiring so far <3 GAF so talented *____* I wish I can be a little bit more loose / dynamic with my inking.... some of your styles really motivating me to branch out!! :D

Collette, I donno about digital ink, personally, I think it'd be cool, as long as people are producing awesome drawings :D

As for my tools, I'm using unipin pens size 08 and 02. I have Microns but I dont like to use them on pencilled works cuz the graphite makes the pen nibs a bit dirty. I use Microns when I straight-inking or when I'm clean inking (with light desk)

TBH i havent ink in real in a long time! This gives me such a good exercise to pick up my pens again. Digital has spoilt me rotten hahaha....

Looking forward to see more from y'all <3

Edit: Thanks Blargonaut :D Hope to see yours soon!

I like your styles, ExMachina and YesNOnoNOYes, very clean :D and Raging Spaniard has a very dynamic style, nice :eek: I've just realised I've never really done action scenes before, I'll try practicing that for this challenge I guess...

I've got 6 to catch up on now, I'll try powering through and dumping it here tomorrow :I

Jhoan

Caught some of the cross hatching fever that's going on in this thread lately with this subway drawing. The lines are fuzzy in this one but I blame it on the train moving and the perspective is off as is the face since she looks like a dude. Then again, I'm being too hard on myself since it's solid overall and it looks like the rest of my stylized drawings.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Day Five, where I unveil to the world my idea for the best game ever, ROAD FISHING

BzPcL7JCYAIuCFP.jpg:large

Yeah, seriously

Nj4sAhI.jpg

Day 6: Next time your near a storm drain, check and see if this guy is smiling back!

Timo..You've pretty much slam dunked this entire thread. Your work is head and shoulders above everything else in here. You have a truly amazing talent that stands out.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Day 6

tumblr_nd208fEsNB1rn8nkfo1_500.jpg

@Timo: Thanks for the clarification! Read up about the ban on kolinsky hair (what a crazy situation!) and alternatives with similar qualities, both synthetic and natural. I'll keep an eye out for all your recommendations next time I swing by the art store and I feel like emptying out my wallet a bit. ;)

@Blargonaut: Thank ye kindly! :D I've gotta work on action scenes too, will try to push myself away from just boring ol' portraits as the month progresses.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
No pencil sketch again, although this time I went ahead with a thick brush pen, so it was kinda risky!

BzUTS4fCUAEmPhE.jpg:large

Also, its great to see more people picking this up, great job! Dont let any small rule stop you from drawing, so it doesn't matter if you prefer digital or analog, anything works as long as youre making stuff :)

exmachina, i love your clean style and your character designs are neat :D

raging spaniard, you make me wants to buy ink brushes now aaaaaaaaaaaa :3 trex goodness <3

awesome bird DM :D

love your crosshatches <3

Thanks! Can't seem to get away from them. I might purchase one of them nifty ink brush pens and see if that helps.
You did a great job on your piece. The grass was handled pretty nicely!

More hatching for number 6!

Gceqv9N.png

Raging Spaniard: The risk paid off. Love the line width variation on the face!
Oh, and thanks Timo, for that nightmare fuel... (looks great!)

Timo

WVWpn04.jpg

Inktober Day 7: Who lights it for him though?

DM Uselink: thats a sweet ass monkey yo.

Spaniard: I got to have a pencil layer, even if it's rough as balls. You are indeed a brave man.

And thanks everyone for the love and stuff. I'm just trying to kick shit into gear for myself personally art wise, and get some good inking practice.

Raging Spaniard

Day Seven, wanted to go with a cleaner style, more precise lines. The paper Im using isnt very big, so there isn't a lot of room for the details I usually like to get into, so ts a good chance of pace.

Anyways, today its my wife chilling on the couch. I like drawing poses like these and giving them a different look.

BzZil7VCUAENvAe.jpg:large

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Some Cowboy Bebop fanart for Day 7 since I'm re-watchin' the series -

tumblr_nd41uwACIz1rn8nkfo1_500.jpg

Might go over it with some greys to tackle rendering his signature hair and play with lighting off the cig. :p

@YesNOnoNOYes: Thanks, dude! :D You are so good at giving form and depth with hatching (and that variable line weight in the latest drawing). Just damn nice use of the medium.

(on a random note - I am really digging the high number of cats in this thread so far, haha)

Evilisk

Are we allowed to use ballpoint pens for this? I'm kinda interested in doing this but don't have the budget atm to get some of the stuff here (and I don't really want to wait longer to buy it since we're already a week into October...)

Fallen behind a bit (at least in posting), but I'm getting happier with what I'm doing each day. Really good stuff in here. I'm only working with pen right now but I need to get myself some ink and stuff before we are half-way through October. Great work, you talented scalawags.

Day 5

Day 6

Day 7 and 8 up later. Yep.

Jhoan

Missed a day so I did two subway drawings to compensate in one day. This time I went for drawing multiple people in one page as opposed to focusing on one in detail like I normally do. It's more challeging but still fun. I so need to update my Tumblr with these last entries before I head to sleep for the night.

Raging Spaniard

Day Eight! When you had a late day from work, do rely on Ninja Gaiden for inspiration. Works every time.

Bze0rSFIUAAxt-e.jpg

Does digital count? I've been doing some pen stuff on breaks at work, but the real meat of my inking has been digital (some of it's been on twitter)

Jhoan

More drawing multiple people at once now. It's pretty damn fun and challenging to do. My perspective is off but it's good practice I'll see if I squeeze in a drawing in between a break tomorrow.

Raging Spaniard

Bzj6X3JCEAATNwU.jpg:large

Day Nine! I really enjoy drawing scenes involving small moments, but then change it up with some different themes.

I feel like inking and scifi go especially well together, probably Jim Steranko's fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom