• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Artbooks of classic games that you want aka "I want an artbook of Silent Hill 1-4"

Lime

When Gearbox acquired the Homeworld license from the THQ auction sale and they went ahead and remastered the old games, they also gathered all the various concept art by the artists at Relic (Rob Cunningham and Aaron Kambeitz, among others) and made a very high quality hardcover artbook filled with "elaborate drawings of ships, level concepts, and scenes from the animatics, many of which have been scanned for the first time from the artists' personal archives. Also included are stories and information about the game gathered from exclusive interviews with Rob and Aaron."

cover.jpg
homeworld-art-of-10.jpg
homeworld-art-of-11.jpg

This reminded me of how great it is when old games get a high quality treatment with the license holders excavating old art, doing personal interviews, and giving a wide historical perspective on the classic games. We see the same thing with old remasters containing commentary tracks (Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, Day of the Tentacle). It's so great when classic games get the recognition and historical acknowledgment that they deserve.

This made me think that I would really love if someone made a hardcover artbook containing all the various concept art while doing interviews with writers and artists of the old Team Silent games from Silent Hill 1 to 4. Hearing about Masahiro Ito's monster designs and inspirations from Francis Bacon, Owaku's scenario writing ideas, Kazuhide Nakazawa's character modelling, how art projects like Fukuro and Usagi got conceptualized, what went into the 9 minute long Silent Hill 4 E3 trailer, and so on. The games all contain very fascinating aesthetics that deserve a visual exposition and emphasis, I think.

But that's just me. What old classic games would you love to see get such a treatment?

Everything Retro Studios, Prime Trilogy, DKC duo, I need it and that environmental art goodness.
Shame Nintendo tend to do nothing in this area though they've slooooowly been coming around to the idea more with Hyrule Historia, the recent Fire Emblem games and Splatoon.

MrT-Tar

Artbooks I want
Dragon Quest series
Kazuma Kaneko artbooks
SNK artbooks

To name a few.

I've got a Kaneko artbook called Digital Devil Apocalypse. It covers SMT I, II, If, Persona, Persona 2, Devil Summoner, and Soul Hackers. Definitely one of my favourite art books.

s-l300.jpg

I thought I read here on gaf that one of the book publishers was planning a MGSV art book for release this year?
I'M STILL WAITING. I guess that's not classic though.

In related news, I was digging around in my storage room today and found a still-sealed copy of MGS Peace Walker Official Art Works that I bought in 2010 and long since forgot about.

Loona

A translated SNK artbook - preferably covering Last Blade -> Art of Fighting -> Fatal Fury, but King of Fighters would probably be a more viable starting point - either way, a lot a slice-of-life Shinkiro goodness would be great.

SNURB

If anything, I want to see a full-fledged art book of the Crash Bandicoot trilogy.

That Naughty Dog art book that came out recently was disappointing to say the least. There was literally only 7 pages full of Crash content and nothing else.

Daknight

Everything Retro Studios, Prime Trilogy, DKC duo, I need it and that environmental art goodness.
Shame Nintendo tend to do nothing in this area though they've slooooowly been coming around to the idea more with Hyrule Historia, the recent Fire Emblem games and Splatoon.

This is my pick too. I STILL want them to release an art book for Metroid Prime. I remember seeing the art pieces in the game and online and wishing they would release an art book with it. When they announce the trilogy release I waited and waited for them to announce a Special Edition with an art book...it never happen :(

Thanks for reminding me I need to buy that Z.O.E art book. I would love a Silent Hills 1-4 art book. Some Kojima Castlevania art books would be amazing as well.

NoKisum

Dragon Quest and Chrono Trigger. I want Toriyama to release dedicated artbooks for both of those series. Also, Team ICO.

This for sure. The little foldout pamphlet that came with Prime Trilogy was too much of a tease.

Garlador

This is what immediately sprang to mind. The Metroid Prime series art is jaw-dropping.

I'd better stop, or it'd be another hundred pictures of cool aliens, power armor, alien worlds, and awesome weapons.

Baust

I want to see Treasure put together a book about all their titles: Gunstar, Alien Soldier, Sin & Punishment, Ikaruga, etc...

Kinda like an Art of Treasure.

Top Bottom