• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Article: Anti-Muslim Attacks on the Rise in the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonnax

December 7

North Palm Beach, Florida: 27-year-old Joshua Killets was arrested for smashing windows and overturning furniture at the Islamic Center of Palm Beach. Killets had previously posted Islamophobic content on his Facebook profile. Killets even bragged about committing the act to the person who reported the incident to local police.

IPbBIDO.jpg

What the hell.

State College, Pennsylvania: 19-year-old Nicholas Tavella, a Penn State student, grabbed an Indian student by the throat while he was crossing an intersection, telling him, “Don’t make me put a bullet in your chest.” Tavella admitted to police he racially profiled the student, saying he appeared to be Middle Eastern. Tavella is charged with felony ethnic intimidation, and faces misdemeanor charges of terroristic threatening, simple assault, disorderly conduct and stalking and harassment.

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/news/campus/article_0126e5b6-9e02-11e5-9241-d391f34a6252.html

That's terrifying.

Seattle, Washington: Hamza Warsame, a 16-year-old Somali-born teen, was severely beaten and thrown from a sixth-story window in Seattle’s Capitol Hill neighborhood. Hamza’s family claims his attackers were from Seattle Central College, where Hamza went to school.
http://thesource.com/2015/12/09/mus...ten-body-is-thrown-out-of-sixth-floor-window/
He died from the injuries.

Man, I dated a girl that converted to Sufism, a mystic Muslim sect like years ago and she said people would look at her crazy when she wore her hijab.

^^yikes they gonna firebomb the Turkish place with Arabic art I used to work at someday.

nitewulf

State College, Pennsylvania: 19-year-old Nicholas Tavella, a Penn State student, grabbed an Indian student by the throat while he was crossing an intersection, telling him, “Don’t make me put a bullet in your chest.” Tavella admitted to police he racially profiled the student, saying he appeared to be Middle Eastern. Tavella is charged with felony ethnic intimidation, and faces misdemeanor charges of terroristic threatening, simple assault, disorderly conduct and stalking and harassment.

WTF

Seventy70

Seattle, Washington: Hamza Warsame, a 16-year-old Somali-born teen, was severely beaten and thrown from a sixth-story window in Seattle’s Capitol Hill neighborhood. Hamza’s family claims his attackers were from Seattle Central College, where Hamza went to school.
http://thesource.com/2015/12/09/musl...-floor-window/
I haven't even heard of this until now. Why isn't this being reported better?
Buena Park, California: A Sikh temple was vandalized on Wednesday, just 50 miles from San Bernardino. Anti-Muslim graffiti, expletives, and references to ISIS were left on the walls of the Gurdwara Singh Sabha. While Sikhism is different than Islam, Sikhs are often perceived as Muslims due to their appearance and clothing. A hate crime inquiry has been opened in regard to the vandalism.
*sigh*

RBH

I wish the thread title and OP were much more fleshed out so that more people would be exposed to the article.

It makes me sad because I grew up with a lot of Muslims, and knowing that their day-to-day lives are most likely going to be affected in some form or fashion for the immediate and near future is a bit depressing.

I suspect 19 is just reported instances. The sad reality is that there are probably significantly more cases that are not being reported, either to the police or the public.

Edit: Also if you're going to make a topic then put a little more effort into your title and topic post, OP. Especially if it's something as important as this topic.

ChouGoku

It's crazy how many people think ISIS and other Muslims are trying to start WW3. I don't even know how they would even get to that conclusion.

RBH

Fans_claim_security_told_them_to_remove__0_28232969_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

Verinder Malhi and his friends drove seven hours from Fresno, Calif. to San Diego to see Denver dominate the Chargers last Sunday.

However, a security guard initially wouldn’t let the Broncos fans into the Chargers' Qualcomm Stadium because they were wearing turbans, a garment typically worn by Sikh men.

“Three of my buddies, they had turbans on, and it (was like, you guys got to take the turbans off,” Mahli said.

They were finally allowed inside Qualcomm, but Malhi claims a security supervisor told him that if they ever come back, they cannot wear turbans.

“It’s bad, I mean, this is embarrassing for me, because we are Americans at the end of the day. And we are not supposed to be afraid of fellow Americans.”

That wasn’t the end of it. At some point Sunday afternoon, a fearful fan called San Diego police about Malhi and his friends. According to police, the caller claimed that three men wearing turbans were fiddling with items in their trunk, and had then left the parking lot.

A tailgater took a photo of a bomb-sniffing dog checking Malhi’s vehicle. Police told 10News the dog cleared the car. Malhi said they had simply put a bag in the car after realizing they weren’t allowed to take it in the stadium.

“Everybody kind of confusing us with the turbans, because what you see on TV is mostly the terrorists they wear turbans. But our turbans is different, our faith is different our beliefs are different.”

The city of San Diego is looking in to the matter but said the security supervisor is not a city employee.
http://www.kivitv.com/news/national/fans-hassled-by-qualcomm-stadium-security-over-turbans

America needs to seriously sort out this racism problem that hasn't been addressed since this countries creation. Eventually the bubble will burst and it will only get worse for everyone living here. Not gonna lie either as a black man living in this country it gets increasingly difficult everyday to deal with white people and the shit minorities go through in this country especially here in Baltimore city.

SJRB

Gold Member
Am I the only one who feels this is all getting a bit out of hand?

- Yes
- No
- Sarcasm
- What?

Zapages

Why aren't more mainstream media reporting this. There needs to be counter to all the hate that Trump is stating.

BizzyBum

It's only going to get worse, unfortunately. It's also exactly what ISIS wanted, a complete separation between Muslims and western culture. All of these hate crimes is a +1 win for them and only gets more people to rally behind them.

Ushay

Am I the only one who feels this is all getting a bit out of hand?

- Yes
- No
- Sarcasm
- What?

LMAO, nicely done.

OT - Some of those stories are insane, especially the boy that was thrown out a 6 story building.. Jesus.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Clicking on this thread I couldn't decide if I should expect a Trump thread or a Star Wars thread.

And it is. Election years bring out the worst in people.

The Seattle story about the kid being thrown off the roof got barely any media coverage. I only found out about it on Twitter after some person I followed talked about it. Even then, news was extremely sparse. That shit is so frustrating.

devilhawk

The Seattle story about the kid being thrown off the roof got barely any media coverage. I only found out about it on Twitter after some person I followed talked about it. Even then, news was extremely sparse. That shit is so frustrating.

Because there is absolutely no public evidence that it has anything to do with him being muslim other than the fact that he was muslim. It's all twitter hearsay so far.

Even his family has publicly said as much:
“And so the speculation that is going on in social media, I just wanna say that everyone that’s jumping to conclusions, thank you for the support, but at the same time let’s wait to see what police have to say.”

RPGCrazied

Maybe its a skill of a reporter, but I don't get how they can talk about Trump without cringing or shuddering. The man is pure evil.

Because there is absolutely no public evidence that it has anything to do with him being muslim other than the fact that he was muslim. It's all twitter hearsay so far.

Not necessarily the Muslim part but I'd think a kid being thrown off the roof and killed for any reason would be a bigger deal.

People want to put all the blame on trump and idiots that resonate with him, but there are plenty of self-proclaimed liberals also responsible for creating an atmosphere conducive to Muslims being attacked. Check any thread involving Muslims/Islam that's not specifically about an assault...

Do you ever leap to the defense of anything positive

Frog-fu

Banned
What a half assed attempt, OP.

OT: this shit is terrible and has been happening for a long time now. 9/11 was a particularly bad time for American Muslims. The recent attacks are causing a distressing resurgence in these hate crimes and outlets like Fox and demagogue cunts like the GOP have a hand in that. They actively promote and encourage this sort of bigotry.

User 406

Banned
Lol Sikhism is NOT ISLAM, at least try to get your racism right XD

Sikhs being harassed is the free space on the Islamophobia bingo card, and is the most glaringly obvious example of how it's really based in racism, no matter how many concern trolls claim it isn't.

Something tells me he's the kind of guy who, if he'd been allowed to enlist, would have pissed himself at the first actual contact with an armed enemy.

Yeah. A lot of these guys talk this shit because they have never seen war, especially in their homeland. Its just posturing.

ItIsOkBro

Lol Sikhism is NOT ISLAM, at least try to get your racism right XD

This is why when I call these people racist I hate getting tossed the 'Islam is not a race' stuff, like as if these people are figuring out someone's religion before they decide to be a bigot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom