• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Article: CLOUD GAMING CANNOT BE ALLOWED TO REPLACE LOCAL GAMING!!!

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Who's gonna have the bigger energy bill this winter ? Germany ? France ? Xboys ? Playstationers ? Of course, the Master Race will win this medal but who's next ? 😜

Not to sure if you're being serious here on not but they are my 4 main (and very serious) issues with gaming today. And yet somehow people accept this as gaming today as if it's normal and they actually accept this as the future of this hobby I once loved! Insane.
I'm dead serious, did I sound sarcastic?

Knightime_X

I don't think cloud gaming will replace anything but I can definitely see it as a solution to a problem.
Say you're traveling and your Nintendo Switch barely handles a game from 2008 on medium settings but you want to play the latest game.

Fat Frog

I don't think cloud gaming will replace anything but I can definitely see it as a solution to a problem.
Say you're traveling and your Nintendo Switch barely handles a game from 2008 on medium settings but you want to play the latest game.
There are a loooooooot of benefits, most gamers at GAF just need to open their mind.

I already wrote 10 pages on the subject but tonight i'll just remind this one:

With cloud you can change your Xbox Series S into a beast.

"😭😭 Sekiro runs at 30 FPS on my S"
"My Hard Drive is already full 😢"

With cloud, 100GB games are now stored in data centers and you have now access to 60FPS versions of your favorite game. If Sekiro isn't running at 60 FPS on Xcloud, with edge you can find it on Stadia. Same for Red Dead Redemption 2...

Knightime_X

There are a loooooooot of benefits, most gamers at GAF just need to open their mind.

I already wrote 10 pages on the subject but tonight i'll just remind this one:

With cloud you can change your Xbox Series S into a beast.

"😭😭 Sekiro runs at 30 FPS on my S"
"My Hard Drive is already full 😢"

With cloud, 100GB games are now stored in data centers and you have now access to 60FPS versions of your favorite game. If Sekiro isn't running at 60 FPS on Xcloud, with edge you can find it on Stadia. Same for Red Dead Redemption 2...
The biggest problem with cloud is games can be removed and there is nothing you can do about it.
30+ years later i'm still able to play games be it physical or as a digital download.
With cloud, that's gone. forever.

Cloud is ok in some instances, but no way would I want to be the primary way to play.
The negatives hugely outweigh the positives.

Irobot82

MMO's, Strategy games, Turn Based RPGs, low skill open worlds (Skyrim). It could work. Anything remotely competitive it sucks.

Fat Frog

The biggest problem with cloud is games can be removed and there is nothing you can do about it.
30+ years later i'm still able to play games be it physical or as a digital download.
With cloud, that's gone. forever.
I believe it's also digital related. (Sony or Ubisoft removed games or movies lately, there was a scandal last month... I cannot remember clearly).

It also depends of the service. GFN is linked to steam, EGS, GOG for instance. (Yeah,games can disappear from there but it's also digital related. Sega licenced racers often disappear from PS/Xbox Store as well. Nonetheless, we keep them if we already bought them)

Yeah, physical games have this advantage, they're still somewhere on the second hand market. But they also have exclusive cons:

Physical games can be broken (good luck to fix a cartridge) and more easily lost, stolen.

With cloud, you also don't have to deal with hardware (physical games are a thing, hardware another, we must keep them alive, fix them or buy another one when the OG is dead... With cloud, service providers are dealing with this)

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Ya. You do not need to spend several hundreds to buy a plastic box to put under the tv to play games. Just a smart tv, an ethernet connection (with 1Gbps internet speed) and a gamepad. No need to buy a new console upgrade every 3 to 4 years.

Besides, removing old games isn't an issue on consoles. Many people claim they buy new consoles to play new games, not old games.

Last edited:

nikeboy94

Nothing will ever beat the input lag you get from local play. The input lag in cloud gaming will improve and improve and improve, but you'll never get that responsive feeling you get from local play. The same can be said for the video output. Like yeah, video quality is pretty good with these cloud services and video compression will keep improving too, but.....it'll never beat a Native, uncompressed image from a local machine.

Add that to the whole "people not owning their games" thing and well, the future is dark if cloud gaming replaces local gaming.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

Nothing will ever beat the input lag you get from local play. The input lag in cloud gaming will improve and improve and improve, but you'll never get that responsive feeling you get from local play. The same can be said for the video output. Like yeah, video quality is pretty good with these cloud services and video compression will keep improving too, but.....it'll never beat a Native, uncompressed image from a local machine.

Add that to the whole "people not owning their games" thing and well, the future is dark if cloud gaming replaces local gaming.
Depends...
Input lag and IQ on a good PC ? Yup, it's probably better...

IQ on a Switch with all the blurry games or dynamic resolutions down to 360p in handheld mode ? It would be interesting to compare it to 4K Stadia or mobile mode at 1080p.(4K/1080p are inferior to native resolutions but it would be fun to compare it with Switch's output).

As for latency, untouchable PC aside, GFN 3080 is already beating PS5/Series. Stadia is beating Xbox on RDR2 due to 60FPS mode (it would be outclassed if Xbox had 60FPS to reduce latency but patch won't be releases anytime soon 👩‍🔧🙅🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️🤦🏽‍♀️)

EDIT: Ok, i checked the DF analysis for both Switch and Stadia version.

Switch: " It's a very blurry game that sometimes looks like a compressed video"(600p resolution docked)

Stadia: "It looks stunning, fantastic on Stadia" (almost like native 4K feed from a console, DF just noted a slight compression with blacks)

I chose a Stadia vs Switch comparison to demonstrate a straight Cloud vs local comparison doesn't mean anything... Which hardwares, which cloud services ?

I now understand why so many Nintendo boyz are playing on cloud services as well. AAA look too blurry on Switch.(it's worth noting both versions has been patched. Switch version remains blurry, sub 30fps with low settings textures, on the other hand the laggy Stadia version is now very responsive)

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member
No worries at the moment. I've tried cloud gaming on very good connections, and it's not anywhere close to local gaming, especially if you are using mouse and keyboard.

Streaming will not kill traditional gaming, simply because it won't ever be as good and people can tell that. There will always be the demand to not stream videogames, so someone will meet that demand.

Even when internet speeds get three times as reliable as they are now, there will still be all the issues we currently have for streaming.

Streaming is great as an alternative and in certain situations when local gaming isn't possible. But, it is and will always be inferior to playing games directly off your own hardware.

Fat Frog

Streaming is great as an alternative and in certain situations when local gaming isn't possible. But, it is and will always be inferior to playing games directly off your own hardware.
Whiiiiich hardware ? 😁

Latency ? IQ ? PS2 ? 😆 Switch ?
Be more specific...

Confirmed later by DF. 😎

Last edited:

Fat Frog

A lot of Xbox players are satisfied with Xcloud's tech (the less efficient of the bunch), i guess better services/tech will be fine for millions of casual video game players 🤸🤸🤸🤸

Last edited:
Top Bottom