• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arts & Farts

KR3W said:
so how does one become good at art? I've always been interested in becoming a good artist. Is it something that comes naturally, or can it be learned?
I think you can learn it but it takes years of practice

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Some of the best artists I know have no talent, you just make up for it with hard work. Its like anything else, really.

Or u could get one of those pencils with lead on each end so u can draw while u draw, dawg.

Zyzyxxz

KR3W said:
so how does one become good at art? I've always been interested in becoming a good artist. Is it something that comes naturally, or can it be learned?

I say its more natural than learned.

You can learn to an extent but I think the way our minds work is unique to each individual and what one lucky guy sees may not be something that happens to confidentially be seen by everyone else.

I don't want to discourage you, even if you got no natural skills you can go very far with a little education and effort.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Just bought the Wacom bamboo small to do my game art. 60$ on amazon. Anyone have any experience with the Bamboo? Likes/Dislikes?

OchreHand

KR3W said:

i think of this question a lot, even after my time spent through artschool and grueling hours of drawing and painting. i believe that anyone can learn to create, it's a matter of training your brain to see correctly. Some are successful than others because they have a constant desire to keep getting better.

and being natural is a plus, but inborn talent can only take you so far if you lack the desire.

Tashi0106 said:
Just bought the Wacom bamboo small to do my game art. 60$ on amazon. Anyone have any experience with the Bamboo? Likes/Dislikes?

It's a good "starter tablet". Professionals will find it limiting. Intuos FTW.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Tashi0106 said:

Never used one, but if have never used a Tablet Im sure youll dig it.

Im just waiting for work to buy me a Cintiq so I can drop all the Tablet nonsense, really. Im much better when I can see my hand and what Im drawing at the same time.

Damn, the quality by the end of the last page is insane. Awesome work everyone!

Heres something I've finished after a couple of days and nights of arduous work:

Yellow_Top_by_redcancer_.jpg

(I don't know if its my eyes playing tricks on me, but I think the image size of this feels a little squished and should be a bit wider like its .psd file. I may fix this in the future)

Raging Spaniard

Arcipello said:
sketch i did the other night...splashed some red on it and it ended up quite Okami-ish

redmoon2ag6.jpg

ARCIPELLO!

This is Xavi from the eatpoo, its been a while!
haha if you dont remember thats fine

Arcipello

Raging Spaniard said:
ARCIPELLO!

This is Xavi from the eatpoo, its been a while!
haha if you dont remember thats fine

Oh eatpoo people! i've not been on there for such a long time after all the server crashes the community withered away. And yes i remember you :D ...nice to find an art thread on these forums:)

hows work etc anyway Xavi?

Joker_by_lhmx.jpg

Kid_Miracleman_by_lhmx.jpg

These are two more recent drawings. I'll need to fix my mistake on the Joker's eye later. The second one is from Alan Moore's Miracleman series. The guy is Kid Miracleman, and he is insane. Im going to blow these two drawings up, and some other ones and make posters out of them to hang around my place.

Jostifer

First time poster in this thread. Gotta say, theres a lot of jaw-dropping works of art in here, but it only aspires me to keep on working and enhance my skills.

Heres something I made for an assignment at school, where we were tasked to make a poster for a specific part of the city we lived in. It was kinda big and for some reason it came out all blurry if I tried to make it smaller, go figure.
plakattoyen.jpg

Forgot to add: It took me a week to finish it after making countless sketches and whatnot. And its dedicated to a good friend of mine who helped me through some tough times. Thats her with the jump rope in the middle.

KR3W

Banned
Thanks for the answers guys.
After seeing some of the beautiful creations in this thread, I want to go out an buy a nice pencil and just draw something. I may even add an art class to my winter schedule. :D

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Like I've said so many times on this thread, amazing talent up in here. Awesome work, everyone.

Prax

Arcipello said:
sketch i did the other night...splashed some red on it and it ended up quite Okami-ish

So pretty. Love the colours and flow of the lines. <3

Jostifer said:
First time poster in this thread. Gotta say, theres a lot of jaw-dropping works of art in here, but it only aspires me to keep on working and enhance my skills.

Heres something I made for an assignment at school, where we were tasked to make a poster for a specific part of the city we lived in. It was kinda big and for some reason it came out all blurry if I tried to make it smaller, go figure.
I also love pictures like these that have a lot of neat things going on in them. My favourite parts are the whispy lines trailing the flying objects and how it looks like there's an exit in the cavern.. but.. how does this work!? The setting must be on some sort of cliff!

Anyway, a couple more pro-scraps-tination drawings before I head to bed, wake up, and study for my nuero exam! YAY!

That nameless guy that I made earlier that's already kind of dead? Yah, part of him turned in this guy (who is an idiot). This was actually a character I made around the time FFXI came out and my brother and I were trying to decide on a character. I think it was a red mage ranger. Additional inspiration were FE7's Sacae nomads. The name's Raelis.
Raelis__tragedy_of_the_nomads_by_Meibatsu.jpg

I'm overusing my really crappy paper texture, but last image for the night is a homage to one of my oldest superhero characters. Poly actually started out as an anthro cat... a rip off of Polly Esther from Samurai Pizza Cats--you can still see remnants of that from her triangle symbol on her forehead and her red hair.:) She became a "child of a phoenix" while I was watching the animated X-Men and that whole Jean Grey Phoenix Saga was happening--also facilitated by my fascination with Phoenix from the Adventures of Conan. She was pretty much a cat born from a phoenix.. which made her special.. >.>
Later, when Sailormoon hit North America, I finally was motivated enough to switch over to drawing humans. Current Poly is now a spear-wielding over-powered monarch of 2 kingdoms.
RESPECT___Child_of_a_PHOENIX_by_Meibatsu.jpg

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Witchfinder General said:
Odin, with Hugin & Munin. Did it as part of a college project. Not my best work but meh.

http://fc83.deviantart.com/fs39/f/2008/346/4/a/Odin_with_Hugin_and_Munin_by_YouFoolWarrenIsDEAD.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I like it.

Arcipello

from here on out im using photobucket... imageshack can go suck on it. Does anyone know if there is a way around Photobucket resizing images that are uploaded? they are smaller than id prefere:(

Raging Spaniard

Arcipello said:
from here on out im using photobucket... imageshack can go suck on it. Does anyone know if there is a way around Photobucket resizing images that are uploaded? they are smaller than id prefere:(

From the settings you can adjust stuff like that (I think theres a no resize option as long as you keep the file under 1meg, so it should work fine for anything web related)

By the way have you checked out http://cghub.com/ yet? Really nice website, all the stuff thats good about DA with good web design, not super huge and full of good artists, plus some good networking stuff.

Arcipello said:
well i guess im gonna make this thread my new home for a little while:)

concept bot i never finished.

botsy.png

That's sweet. Any good resources I can look up for good lighting techniques? I am terrible with color too. :(

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
radiantdreamer said:
It's a good "starter tablet". Professionals will find it limiting. Intuos FTW.

awesome, cuz that's exactly what I am. I haven't draw seriously in like 3 years. By seriously I mean, more than doodling. I'm using it to do some game art and also to get back into art seriously. I'm pretty excited. Also the art in this thread is inspiring to get back into drawing, they are unbelievable!

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
I told myself I would post in this thread. But damn if it isn't embarrassing posting my shit along with all this incredible art. Some of you are INCREDIBLY talented. Seriously good work to all of you!

Also a lot of this is kind of old, but oh well.
3117828506_ef7610bd21.jpg

Incredibly random collage in colored pencil
3117002325_7ac22e664e.jpg

3117828456_d9d65dae02.jpg

Self portrait in the image of that Paul Revere painting. Charcoal.
3117828304_0396985ed2.jpg

3117828226_b21011b98e.jpg

Another self portrait
3117828712_f30cccd483.jpg

3117828786_8d354c4ffd.jpg

The last two are custom wrapping papers that I made for my friends out of duct tape for Christmas.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Rewrite said:
Awesome work, Zoso!
Thanks. I'm working on getting better. Hopefully one day I'll be as good as some of the people in this thread. Maybe.

Conceptual rendering of a game I've been writing:
DemoScreen4.png

Gestural painting (coloring done with Rose Art Pencils):
09-15-2008074342AM.jpg

Ink test that turned into a painting (coloring done with Rose Art Pencils):
09-15-2008074149AM.jpg

Zoso

Nice work SilentProtagonist! I like it. The last one especially has some nice emotion. Keep it up.

RyType

I like the first pic SilentProtagonist, do you have anymore from your game?

Some stuff I've been doing lately. I'm hoping to make some childrens books eventually-
i6jlg4.jpg

ml116r.jpg

11ceemw.jpg

RyType said:

Some stuff I've been doing lately. I'm hoping to make some childrens books eventually-
i6jlg4.jpg

ml116r.jpg

11ceemw.jpg

very nice!. great drawings.
maybe the guy on the pig is a little too cartoony. the rest (including everything in that image) has a nice surreal feel to them.
I could imagine you making illustrations for a childrens book someday

RyType said:

Woah! Those are AWESOME! I really like the style of it. The detail is very good.

Zoso

RyType said:
Damn RyType, you're fucking amazing!!

RyType said:
Nothing worth showing really, but I may get to work on a few more sprites.

RyType, your stuff is amazing. Are you currently going to school for art?

RyType

SilentProtagonist said:
Nothing worth showing really, but I may get to work on a few more sprites.

RyType, your stuff is amazing. Are you currently going to school for art?

thank you guys, I just recently started studying Illustration earlier this year at university.

SP, I love 2D retro style looking games- Your other stuff is great too! did you draw the first image in microsoft paint? You can make some nice retro looking stuff in MS, heres one I made a while back.

ih8xf6.jpg

are sprites difficult to make? I like your game character design

RyType said:
thank you guys, I just recently started studying Illustration earlier this year at university.

SP, I love 2D retro style looking games- Your other stuff is great too! did you draw the first image in microsoft paint? You can make some nice retro looking stuff in MS, heres one I made a while back.

ih8xf6.jpg

Oh yeah, I remember your stuff from the MSPaint thread awhile back! That looks incredible.

Yeah, I'm using MS paint at the moment and going for a more retro look (the backgrounds are total placeholder so don't mind them lol).

Here's one of the first sketches of the character I did:
Gideon.jpg

Watchmen_by_lhmx.jpg

A drawing of my family in San Francisco. I gave this to my dad as part of gift exchange. Of course, we found out who we got two days before X-mas so thats why its very sketchy but the family liked it so its all good.:D
Family_by_lhmx.jpg

RyType said:

Not really, I made sprites for a LONG time, but I haven't done it for about three years now.

It's just the detail and the way you want to build a character with a really small amount of pixels. This is some of my work:

moblin.png

As you can see, it is really old. It is when you see how my drawing skills have evolved. If you want some tips, feel free to PM me.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
God damn it. reading this thread makes me depressed. I don't think I've done anything worth showing off since october. :\

Prax

Brobzoid, have you done things.. not worth showing.. but can show us anyway?! XD

RyType: I LOVE all the detail in your work and how it contrasts with the simpler characters. It would make for great children's book images!

And Arcipello, that's an awesome image.
My favourite part would have to be the texture on her and that ink splash on the star. Is there a secret way to do ink/blood splashes? I dont' get how to do this obviously cool thing!

Anyway, just to end this year off, here's a few of my stuffs!
Oh, and before you all yell at me.. sorry for my extra-wide images.

Fire Emblem fanart!

Favourites from FE1-11 (I didn't actually play all the games, so I just picked random people for games I didn't play). All ballpoint pen with some PSP7 colourings.

Favourite Males!
Fire_Emblem_Faves___Males_by_Meibatsu.jpg

Volke, Hugh, Kashim (Castor), Hector, Marth, Navarre (Nabarl), Shinon, Noish, Brighton, Arum (Alm), Cormag

Favourite Females!
Fire_Emblem_Faves___Females_by_Meibatsu.jpg

Micaiah, Celica, Mareeta, Farina, Calill, Shiida (Sheeda), Ira (Ayra),Minerva, L'Arachel, Linde (Linda), Lilina

And an image anticipating the New Year's!!!
My character Eve.. GET IT?! *cough*
Happy_New_Year__s_Eve_by_Meibatsu.jpg

Aren't you guys proud of me?! No ballpoint pen to be seen! It's pure tablet-to-computer on one layer! I actually gave up on using a reference (because I'm too lazy to search for good ones, and I have some weird anxiety about it...), so there are probably plenty of anatomy, lighting, and drapery issues, but it's not a bad attempt.. >.> I was going to try to finally use Painter X at first, but I think I did something to make it crash on me, so I just went back to PSP7 like the wuss I am. XD

If any of you are interested in seeing my clueless process, you can take a look at this: http://meibatsu.deviantart.com/art/Walkthrough-of-New-Year-s-Eve-107823105

So, artsy GAF, HAVE A HAPPY NEW YEARS! Hope to see plenty more of your amazing stuff next year!

Top Bottom