• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As a metric, I wish we could look up "player inputs per minute" for a given videogame

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
One Saturday afternoon, I beat a game called 'Epic Astro Story' from start to finish on my Nintendo Switch. It's one of those passive civ / trading / lemonade stand games where you add buildings, soak up money, and add more buildings. You can upgrade and research to build more costly shops that use different resources and generate money faster. There's almost nothing to the game. It has a very predictable curve. Worse, it has a small, static map without very many interesting features, making it worthless to replay once you've already filled the map and "beaten" the game. There's a dungeon at the very end where you can do endless battles. I took a team in and beat 50 or 60 battles in a row before I died, and I decided that was probably the furthest anyone had ever gotten in the game anywhere in the world. I've already spent too many words to simply say that the game is mediocre.

epic-astro-story-switch-screenshot01.jpg

Yet I still burned a few hours on it. Why? Was it the videogame equivalent of binge-eating junkfood? Am I turning into a casual? Was the toxic masculinity of my AAA games pushing me into mobile gaming as a psychological defense? Am I a Jerry now?

mQcC7NW.gif

Then I realized I suffer from none of these things. Epic Astro Story is just your typical mobile game with scientifically-tuned addictive cookie-clicker mechanics to keep the player engaged. I was sucked in because the game -- and tens of thousands of others like it -- is designed to absorb your attention. At any moment, I could be checking something else, tweaking something else, buying something else, and so forth. Despite the railroaded design, I still fell to the illusion of engagement because of how many clicks I was performing.

Meanwhile, I still get bored after the first 45 minutes of most AAA, high-budget videogame masterpieces. Y'know, the ones that make you sit through several scenes of exposition with occasional "breaks" to push the X button a few times and tilt your analog stick up, down, left, and right like a trained monkey, and then it's back to more exposition. Nothing is inherently wrong with these games, by the way.

This got me thinking. Maybe I'm not a Jerry. Maybe I just prefer games with a higher density of player input. Sure, that input could be slack-jawed balloon popping, but it's still more engaging than watching cutscenes wedged between tutorial sequences that teach me how to move my character.

Alone, the statistic would be fairly meaningless. Just because a game crams 1,000 button presses into the first 5 minutes doesn't make it a good game, but at least I would have some idea for how engaging the game is. At least I would have a piece of an overall picture. It would be nice to know which games get right to the action and which games require the player to put down the controller and watch the Show, and I'm not sure there's a better way to do it than simply reporting how many inputs the player does per minute, within the first hour, etc.

Tranquil

I think what you're trying to say is that you want less cut scenes in video games and more action. Which I completely agree with.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I think what you're trying to say is that you want less cut scenes in video games and more action. Which I completely agree with.
Not really. By all means, bring on the anime VNs and walking simulators and mocapped cutscenes. It's okay for games to be packed with cutscenes.

I just want something akin to a sticker on the label that measures how engaging the game is. Maybe reviewers could include it in their reviews, I dunno. We include stats about framerate and load speeds. Why not include stats about how many hours of hands-off cutscenes are included? That could be a selling point to some and a warning to others. We used to give more information about the total content included way back in the day: 22 stages! 6 different characters to choose from! 12 zany racetracks on one cartridge! etc

Tranquil

Not really. By all means, bring on the anime VNs and walking simulators and mocapped cutscenes. It's okay for games to be packed with cutscenes.

I just want something akin to a sticker on the label that measures how engaging the game is. Maybe reviewers could include it in their reviews, I dunno. We include stats about framerate and load speeds. Why not include stats about how many hours of hands-off cutscenes are included? That could be a selling point to some and a warning to others. We used to give more information about the total content included way back in the day: 22 stages! 6 different characters to choose from! 12 zany racetracks on one cartridge! etc

Would need to be a ratio, like there is 1 hour of cut scenes for every 2 hours of gameplay or something like that.

Top Bottom