• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As Dusk Falls | Review Thread

8BiTw0LF

Banned
capsule_616x353.jpg

qxTEPAJ.png

PFD2aBJ.png

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Interesting that most reviews insist it’s a lot more open than Telltale games in terms of choices and consequences. In the end this kind of game is carried by its story so that’s the only way to judge.

Excited to try it tomorrow after some Hot Wheels.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Had no idea it had "MP".
Imma load this up get shit faced drunk n high with my buddies and see how fucked a story we can argue together.
The nice girl in our group is always choosing the most passive options when we do these playalongs now everyone gets their own controller.....lets do this!

Shit its only Monday.........This week better flyby, whiskey at the ready.

P.S: ~80 Metacritic would be a shock. A welcome one but a shock all the same.

Jennings

Since QTEs ruin games (hi Tomb Raider reboot), it's nice to see there are a variety of ways to make them more tolerable. And while it saddens me to see uninspired hack developers continue to embrace them, I'm happy to see additional tools available to help mitigate their existence.

Options:
  • Quick Action Types – Allows the player to remove mashing interactions, or to set all interactions to require a single button tap.
  • Extended QTE Timer – All Quick Time Events (QTE) have 10 second timer to finish. For the Mash, it will have a longer amount of time to do the same amount of mash.
  • Choice Timer – Allows the player to disable timers in all choice scenes and Timed Hotspots.
  • Extended Override Timer – Extends the override timer from 10 seconds to 20 seconds.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Since QTEs ruin games (hi Tomb Raider reboot), it's nice to see there are a variety of ways to make them more tolerable. And while it saddens me to see uninspired hack developers continue to embrace them, I'm happy to see additional tools available to help mitigate their existence.

Options:
  • Quick Action Types – Allows the player to remove mashing interactions, or to set all interactions to require a single button tap.
  • Extended QTE Timer – All Quick Time Events (QTE) have 10 second timer to finish. For the Mash, it will have a longer amount of time to do the same amount of mash.
  • Choice Timer – Allows the player to disable timers in all choice scenes and Timed Hotspots.
  • Extended Override Timer – Extends the override timer from 10 seconds to 20 seconds.

More options for games like this, especially if you're playing couch co-op with someone else, are appreciated.

Punished Miku

Gold Member

Options:
Those are some thoughtful options honestly. 100% removing all mashing, and choice timer.

ManaByte

I love adventure games, but I could only get through two chapters of Life is Strange: True Colors. The wokeness coupled with the Starbucks acoustic soundtrack was like nails on the chalkboard for me. I'm liking The Quarry enough so far, so if this is less Pacific Northwest propaganda like True Colors and more sane like Quarry I might download it just because it's on GP and deal with the stupid art choice.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Wow this one was actually on my radar as I loved the art style from the original announcement. Didn't realize it was due this year but I'm happy to see it get great reviews overall.

Interesting that most reviews insist it’s a lot more open than Telltale games in terms of choices and consequences. In the end this kind of game is carried by its story so that’s the only way to judge.

Excited to try it tomorrow after some Hot Wheels.
Game is 50 + gb. There better be choices and consequences.

Chukhopops

Game is 50 + gb. There better be choices and consequences.
Woah that’s a lot of jpg images, didn’t expect that. I’m actually curious if I will like it more than games like Detroit or Tales of the Borderlands.

Also every time I play a choice-based game with my wife it reminds me that I married a complete sociopath who always goes for the self-preservation option.

AJUMP23

I downloaded it last night, maybe I will play it today. If there is a sequel I hope they name it "As Morning Rises".

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
This game is like playing a book so I'm not surprised it's getting mid reviews.
anime-confused.gif

It has an ~80 meta critic.
Out of 100......so 100/2 = ~80?

Are you slow?

Surprised by the positive reviews. I just don’t really see the appeal of this type of thing for a game. Not for me at least
Visual Novels/P&C Adventures?
Some of my favorite experiences in gaming have been visual novels and "walking" simulators.
As you said just not for you.
But if you ever get a chance boot up one of TellTale or SuperMassives games....i didnt think id be into these type of games until i actually tried, a good story, characters even with little traditional "gameplay" can be really engaging.
You get hooked to the characters.

Tales from the borderlands is really well written and produced if you want something more light hearted.

Ansphn

anime-confused.gif

Are you slow?

Some of my favorite experiences in gaming have been visual novels and "walking" simulators.
But if you ever get a chance boot up one of TellTale or SuperMassives games....i didnt think id be into these type of games until i actually tried, a good story, characters even with little traditional "gameplay" can be really engaging.

Tales from the borderlands is really well written and produced if you want something more light hearted.

77 on Opencritics. That's considered Mid by gamers. I don't really want to argue about a picture book game. People used to shit on games like Until dawn and QTE type games and this game took it to another level (that's not a complement)

Seeing how your decisions impact the story is what makes these games interesting. Its basically like the telltale games and if you enjoy that you will probably like this.
I’ve never played a telltale game
anime-confused.gif

Are you slow?

ive never played one - I liked the old point and click adventures back in the day like grim fandango and monkey Island - but I usually don’t get pulled in by game stories. May try it out tho just cus it’s free I guess see what it’s like

Last edited:
Really not a fan of the art. Someone decided to slap to worst Photoshop filter they could find onto some photos. Why not do traditional art. Hell look at the kind of paintings AI can do now. Don't tell me they couldn't work out something better than this.

That said, I like this type of game so I'll still play it.

Last edited:
I started the game yesterday. Partially as a joke. It is on gamepass and i thought i could give it a quick look and move on.
Well that didnt turn out the way i thought it would. This game is great. Really gripping story and natural, believable characters that act like normal people. Very grounded but exciting setting.
I was not a fan of the artstyle, but i have to say - its great and fits the game really well.
Really impactful choices. Not earthshaking consequences, but very immersive. Never before was i this nervous if i made the right choice.

Voice acting is on another level (imo).

I cant wait to play this game again today. Great game.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I started the game yesterday. Partially as a joke. It is on gamepass and i thought i could give it a quick look and move on.
Well that didnt turn out the way i thought it would. This game is great. Really gripping story and natural, believable characters that act like normal people. Very grounded but exciting setting.
I was not a fan of the artstyle, but i have to say - its great and fits the game really well.
Really impactful choices. Not earthshaking consequences, but very immersive. Never before was i this nervous if i made the right choice. I

Voice acting is on another level (imo).

I cant wait to play this game again today. Great game.

I was about to start the game yesterday but I knew that I was too tried to really enjoy it. Will try to give it a go today.

mxbison

Looks good but I have like 3 or 4 story adventure games on my list so not sure when/if I'll get to this.

Roberts

I was about to start the game yesterday but I knew that I was too tried to really enjoy it. Will try to give it a go today.

Yeah, I loaded it up even though I was dead tired. Didn’t feel it and after finishing Road 96, this felt a bit disappointing. Will try again today together with my wife to see if the MP aspect helps the enjoyment of the game.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Yeah, I loaded it up even though I was dead tired. Didn’t feel it and after finishing Road 96, this felt a bit disappointing. Will try again today together with my wife to see if the MP aspect helps the enjoyment of the game.

I'm also interested how it works in MP with only 2 people. What if the vote is 50-50?

Top Bottom