• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As Dusk Falls | Review Thread

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The guy who voices the main father, he totally sounds like Adam Jensen from the Deus Ex games.

It's not the kind of game I would buy. It's not the kind of game I'd necessarily recommend enthusiastically.

But I honestly really enjoyed the first chapter, and thought the art style was really interesting and original. Doing chapter 2 tonight. I would 100% take another game from this team on Gamepass. Seems like a great addition to the service.

Kimahri

Banned
Enjoy playing your picture book game.
I've played it twice now, and it is an absolutely brilliant game I had no thoughts about one way or another going in.

I pity you your narrow minded tunnelvision. All the stuff you must be missing out on. Sheesh.

The guy who voices the main father, he totally sounds like Adam Jensen from the Deus Ex games.
That's because it's him

Last edited:

reksveks

It's not the kind of game I would buy. It's not the kind of game I'd necessarily recommend enthusiastically.

But I honestly really enjoyed the first chapter, and thought the art style was really interesting and original. Doing chapter 2 tonight. I would 100% take another game from this team on Gamepass. Seems like a great addition to the service.
I do hope MS nails the marketing but doubt it. They need to spend $$$ on ad spots that doesn't typically hit gamers.

adamsapple

I *LOVE* how detailed the post chapter breakdown screens are.

It's the kind of granularity I've always wanted Tell Tale and Super Massive games to have.

Paints an exact picture of all the key decisions you made and where ever there are branching pathways.

I *LOVE* how detailed the post chapter breakdown screens are.

It's the kind of granularity I've always wanted Tell Tale and Super Massive games to have.

Paints an exact picture of all the key decisions you made and where ever there are branching pathways.
Yep, it's great. Even has the community percentages so you can see if your choice was unusual or not. It's very well done.

adamsapple

Yep, it's great. Even has the community percentages so you can see if your choice was unusual or not. It's very well done.

I'm looking at the chapter 2 screen and the decisions I've made to end it have still left almost 80% of the chart un-mapped lol. This is gonna require a couple of play throughs to see everything.

I'm looking at the chapter 2 screen and the decisions I've made to end it have still left almost 80% of the chart un-mapped lol. This is gonna require a couple of play throughs to see everything.
For sure. I'm not there yet, but hopefully the new game+ options are easy and don't require seeing a ton of the stuff you already saw. If I can pop in and see the alternate paths easily, I probably will. I'll have to wait and see how that goes.

Ansphn

I've played it twice now, and it is an absolutely brilliant game I had no thoughts about one way or another going in.

I pity you your narrow minded tunnelvision. All the stuff you must be missing out on. Sheesh.

That's because it's him
No thanks. So many game i can play. I rather read a book if i want an experience like that. Why would i want to play a book? I rather play games that allows me to move around with the controller.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
No thanks. So many game i can play. I rather read a book if i want an experience like that. Why would i want to play a book? I rather play games that allows me to move around with the controller.

It is nothing like reading a book. Not gonna push you into anything, but you're missing out on a lot of great experiences if you're gonna allow that limited view of what games should be to rule your day.

adamsapple

I think I'm enjoying this a lot more because I just played another amazing game like this, The Quarry, so my brain is more receptive of it.

Ansphn

It is nothing like reading a book. Not gonna push you into anything, but you're missing out on a lot of great experiences if you're gonna allow that limited view of what games should be to rule your day.
I already looked into this game. You dont move the character all all. They give you 15 seconds to give a multiple choices answer in a given situation and what you select will prompt a different outcome. Its like a book with choices because you dont control your character. This game could be played on a Smartphone or TV with a TV controller.

People shit on QTE games like Until Dawn and Man of Mudan but at least they let you control the characters.

Last edited:
Does this game have a time limit?
I just downloaded Escape Room and I saw that time limit and just deleted it without looking to see if I could turn it off first. (I maybe should have checked the options).

Kimahri

Banned
I already looked into this game. You dont move the character all all. They give you 15 seconds to give choices in a given situation and what you select will prompt a different outcome. Its like a book with choices because you dont control your character. This game could be played on a Smartphone or TV with a TV controller.

People shit on QTE games like Until Dawn and Man of Mudan but at least they let you control the characters.
I've played this game, twice, thanks, I think I know how it works.

And I repeat, it's not like reading a book, at all.

You talk like someone who's never played anything but third person games.

Ansphn

I've played this game, twice, thanks, I think I know how it works.

And I repeat, it's not like reading a book, at all.

You talk like someone who's never played anything but third person games.
I play every type of game except strategy over the top view and games like this.

Stuart360

Could of had the best reviews ever and i wont play it, even on Gamepass.
The art style is awful to me. And you can tell the plot will be full of 2022 nonsense.

Last edited:

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
LhVacap_d.webp

Does this game have a time limit?
I just downloaded Escape Room and I saw that time limit and just deleted it without looking to see if I could turn it off first. (I maybe should have checked the options).
There's lots of options and I think most time limits can be extended or removed.

Kagey K

Banned
For sure. I'm not there yet, but hopefully the new game+ options are easy and don't require seeing a ton of the stuff you already saw. If I can pop in and see the alternate paths easily, I probably will. I'll have to wait and see how that goes.
From what I've seen you can just jump back to the decisions you've made and choose a different one to see how it plays out.

From what I've seen you can just jump back to the decisions you've made and choose a different one to see how it plays out.
Great. I'll probably watch all of it then.

Just in that first major encounter, things really went a different way than I intended lol. So I'm curious.

adamsapple

Could of had the best reviews ever and i wont play it, even on Gamepass.
The art style is awful to me. And you can tell the plot will be full of 2022 nonsense.

What is 2022 nonsense ?

-

Anyway. Despite the game being 50 fucking gigs, and what looks like everything is just video files, there's still very visible macro blocking in some scenes.

See the right half .. it looks like I'm playing the cloud version, but no this is the fully downloaded one.

7-20-2022_2-02-03_pm-2uk9g.png

Last edited:
What is 2022 nonsense ?

-

Anyway. Despite the game being 50 fucking gigs, and what looks like everything is just video files, there's still very visible macro blocking in some scenes.

See the right half ..

7-20-2022_2-02-03_pm-2uk9g.png
Yeah, I was surprised by the art style as well. There's some 3D modeled parts of buildings from the look of it, but then they stick the flat character images over it. It's an odd, but very original approach.

adamsapple

Yeah, I was surprised by the art style as well. There's some 3D modeled parts of buildings from the look of it, but then they stick the flat character images over it. It's an odd, but very original approach.

The art is fine, I'm just a little miffed that video compression is so easily visible. Should have used a better compressor I guess.

reksveks

Ahh, fucking Joyce is dead but so is Dale.
I wasnt expecting to make up with Michelle after that revelation.
Got Zoe the fuck out of there.

adamsapple

Ahh, fucking Joyce is dead but so is Dale.
I wasnt expecting to make up with Michelle after that revelation.
Got Zoe the fuck out of there.

Mine at the end of chapter 2

only dale died, and then I see in the chapter stats that michelle reveled the affair, I didn't get any kind of revelation from the chat they had at all lol.

DaGwaphics

Agreed. The story and the choices were good for this type of game. I'll probably run through it one more time and try a couple different things.

Finished chapter 2. Man this game is really good.

Its basically watching a TV show. But its like an actually legitimately really good TV show with a ton of twists that make the choices very compelling. Art style is gorgeous too. The more I see it the more I'm into it. This might be a 9/10 for me. Story and acting are super solid. Music is great too.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I so feel like this is not a game for me, but it seems like an awful lot of people on here are enjoying it. I thought I saw yesterday that it doesn't have xCloud integration. Is that true? I like to try it on steaming first and see if I want to download it.

Kagey K

Banned
I so feel like this is not a game for me, but it seems like an awful lot of people on here are enjoying it. I thought I saw yesterday that it doesn't have xCloud integration. Is that true? I like to try it on steaming first and see if I want to download it.
It does have xcloud, and native touch controls for mobile (which are apparently very good)

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
This game feels like it was made for cloud gaming. The touch control implementation on my iPad makes it feel like a native mobile experience. But I don't know whether that's a good thing.

adamsapple

I see the xcloud option on my dash, I think one user was having a weird one off experience before.

adamsapple

This game feels like it was made for cloud gaming. The touch control implementation on my iPad makes it feel like a native mobile experience. But I don't know whether that's a good thing.

Considering there's literally no waking around element like the tell tale or supermassive games, this game lends itself really well to touch based devices from the get go.

Kagey K

Banned
That's how the nonary games feel on xcloud too.

Honestly a better experience than trying to play with a controller.

xion4360

This game is great! I'm enjoying it a lot more than The Quarry, I game I paid like 84 dollars for. :messenger_unamused: and I get this on GamePass :messenger_grinning_squinting:

I always do multiple playthroughs with these games and on my second of The Quarry I basically do the opposite of what I did on the first playthrough and the game barely played out any differently...Like I still went though all the same scenarios just with small variations of who was present or what was said...In general it all still felt like going through the same ground. It was pretty disappointing considering its a full priced game and they hyped up the possibilities with the 200+ endings thing.

With As Dusk Falls there are MAJOR differences so far on my second playthrough...entire scenarios are completely different. yeah, it eventually funnels into a scene that's common to any playthrough but with variations...but the fact that there are truly different branches that show you entirely different scenes is exactly the kind of thing I was expecting from The Quarry and didn't get.

I love the art style too! once you get used to it you see that actually everything flows together much better when you aren't seeing the scenes adjust to your decision making in real time..and your brain kind of constructs what you don't see in between the frames for you. It's really a very clever way of doing it and no doubt makes it easier to do a wide variety of things on a low budget.

Honestly I'm hyped to see them do a Book 3 continuation or just a part two or whatever :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Completed Chapter 3. The Art style reminds me a lot of Disco Elysium.
The "gameplay" is much more fluid than I expected, you make up the missing bits with your imagination and the voice acting is top notch.

Of course the story's also vurrry good 👍

Top Bottom