• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As Dusk Falls | Review Thread

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
ok some of the faces in the game can look pretty goofy :messenger_grinning_smiling:

1238qkkr.png

Chukhopops

At chapter 3 and it’s pretty good. The story starts really fast and you have to make decisions all the time. Choices also feel more significant even though the game uses some narrative tricks to merge story branches once in a while. MP is really fun as expected although it creates somewhat schizophrenic characters.

I got used to the art style but what i dislike is how inconsistent it is, one moment you have animated 3D objects moving fluidly (like cars), the next second you have cardboard cutouts not blending well with the backgrounds or not having proper perspective. If it was to save budget then so be it but if it was a deliberate art choice it doesn’t work too well in the end.

adamsapple

R reksveks

How far are you ?

I managed to finish this last night, not sure if the decisions I made skipped some things but the final 3 chapters felt really short.

There's also a blatant ass cliff hanger in my ending that I have no idea what happened with. Gonna see if any of the other endings build more on that or if that's just a hook for a sequel.

Don't open if you haven't finished yet.

Someone shot the grandpa in the final 30 seconds of my game and they never show who it is or why, and then the credits roll. I was like WTF ?

adamsapple

People were asking about this being like Breaking Bad earlier.

I would say this is part Breaking Bad, part Sons of Anarchy and a little part young adult show (for some specific chapters).

Overall, nice little game for a subscription service. Can't imagine this will blow any charts at retail.

DaGwaphics

ok some of the faces in the game can look pretty goofy :messenger_grinning_smiling:

1238qkkr.png

That ecstasy she took really got to her. LOL

Once you start a second play through you can really see how much weight some of the choices have. That's always good to see in these.

Hopefully they do some more like this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

reksveks

- Cross the dodgy cop, and then fought him off. Sticking his hand with the taser in the toilet was fun
- Got taken hostage by the holts (playing Jay relatively conflict)
- Cut Bear down after saving Thorne (do wonder what happens if I didn't give Thorne the watch)

adamsapple

- Cross the dodgy cop, and then fought him off. Sticking his hand with the taser in the toilet was fun
- Got taken hostage by the holts (playing Jay relatively conflict)
- Cut Bear down after saving Thorne (do wonder what happens if I didn't give Thorne the watch)

That fight scene is actually pretty dope.

Lognor

Banned
I'm like 20 minutes in. The graphical style is really jarring for me. And the story isn't interesting yet. With this type of game the story has to be top notch for me because the gameplay isn't doing it. Does it get A LOT better?

DaGwaphics

With as many differences as there were on my second play through, I might have to run through it again. It's really surprising to see that there are entirely different locations/scenes depending on what you choose. This game is getting more of my time than I thought that it would.

Dlacy13g

So I finished up chptr 3 and full credits rolled....but its not the end. It's just the end of Book 1. Was pleasantly surprised to see there is more.

Really enjoying the story and voice work. Art style is a bit hit and miss as others have noted.

Lognor

Banned
For those that have completed the game, is it easy to go back to specific scenes to take a new route? I just finished chapter one and I was surprised to see how many branches in the story there were. But I don't want to restart at the beginning of the chapters to hit those other branches. Ideally I could go to that specific scene and make a new choice.

And do the different routes result in a materially different ending?

reksveks

Ended up playing it for 3 hrs, didn't feel like 3 hrs

- killed vince accidentally (bit of a shock)
- didn't tell anyone about the cabin as the kid
- charmed vanessa
- saved Tyler's arse

- sent Sharon to jail after rejecting her, bad influence on Paul
- fought the jock and fucked it up with Vanessa
- separated with Vanessa at the campfire bit

- Jay got arrested after being trusting and dopey
- Zoe visited him and forgave Jay, offered to be there at the end
- Jay death sentence got stayed (thank god)
- the old man dies

Would definitely take more of these games from this studio, the juxtaposition of the art style needs fixing as well as the compression rates on the videos.

reksveks

For those that have completed the game, is it easy to go back to specific scenes to take a new route? I just finished chapter one and I was surprised to see how many branches in the story there were. But I don't want to restart at the beginning of the chapters to hit those other branches. Ideally I could go to that specific scene and make a new choice.

I don't know about the latter but there is 4 characters that have different endings (5 for one, 3 for 2 and then 3 for a couple)

There will be a play button icon under the scenes that you can start from.

adamsapple

Yes, actually that's one of my favorite things about this game.

Unlike say The Quarry, you don't need to replay entire chapters.

You can pick from multiple points in each chapter and continue from there. You can continue to a new save file (so your previous isn't over written) or just play the new choices without saving so you can go achievement hunting without worrying about changing future decisions.

Yes. The final chapter can be WILDLY different depending on what happens in the previous ones.

Your entire final locations will be different between different scenarios depending on how you played

Last edited:

adamsapple

- charmed vanessa
- saved Tyler's arse

- the old man dies

Would definitely take more of these games from this studio, the juxtaposition of the art style needs fixing as well as the compression rates on the videos.

To Lognor's point above, your final chapter and the first time I played through, my final chapter, were completely different.

I've gone back and played from different check points since then for achievement hunting to cover the rest as well.

DaGwaphics

- charmed vanessa
- saved Tyler's arse

- the old man dies

Yikes, I had a relatively decent ending for my first play through. On the second I blew up basically everything positive for every character, LOL.

Raven117

How does the multiplayer work?

(Ie, can I play this on the couch with my gf with one controller but her and I both making choices?).

Kagey K

Banned
How does the multiplayer work?

(Ie, can I play this on the couch with my gf with one controller but her and I both making choices?).
You can use 2 controllers, 2 mobile phones or 1 controller and 1 phone. You select your input device when you start the game.

Lognor

Banned
Yes, actually that's one of my favorite things about this game.

Unlike say The Quarry, you don't need to replay entire chapters.

You can pick from multiple points in each chapter and continue from there. You can continue to a new save file (so your previous isn't over written) or just play the new choices without saving so you can go achievement hunting without worrying about changing future decisions.

Yes. The final chapter can be WILDLY different depending on what happens in the previous ones.

Your entire final locations will be different between different scenarios depending on how you played
Awesome! I like the sound of that. The story is picking up now, but I'm hoping for some surprises. Right now it's pretty straightforward story

jaysius

Banned
I hate TTG games, they're written by children for children.

This game is at least written better, I'd compare it to a bad FX or AMC drama one that you watch just to kill time, but it's almost as good as a decent drama. It's as good as The Walking Dead would be if you removed all the zombies.

SteadyEvo

This is the best thing MS has put out in a long time. Finished it in one day, playing on and off morning to midnight. If this game was ground beef 🥩 it’d be 98% lean. Theres no filler here. Straight to the point. All gas, no brakes.

I’m comparing this to similar choice/story based games like The Quarry, Detroit, Heavy Rain, TellTale, and Until Dawn. This is top notch. I have this up there with Detroit. I’m sitting there putting serious thought into each choice and second guessing myself afterwards.

Well done MS. Outstanding. My only gripe would be controls. Swipes are more a hold and less a swipe. Fucked up a few QTEs before figuring it out. If this wasn’t on Gamepass I would gladly pay whatever price they ask. It’s that good.

Don’t be put off by the art style. The story is fantastic. I’m about to look into this studio. These guys/gals are the real deal.

jaysius

Banned
I just played it on my iPad via Cloud and it’s even better, the ENTIRE game is made for touch so it controls even better as they’ve fully adapted it to a touch screen.

Hydroxy

Does anyone feel this game is rated a bit high? I love narrative games, its of my favorite genre. I mean the narrative is decent but nothing special although I admit I have so far only finished one playthrough. My main issue is the user interface. I really don't like the UI. Am playing on PC with controller and navigating the menus using controller is very painful. Also it takes way too many clicks to continue the game. Overall I still liked my first playthrough. Hopefully the story changes a lot on my second one as I plan to make very different decisions.

Kagey K

Banned
Does anyone feel this game is rated a bit high? I love narrative games, its of my favorite genre. I mean the narrative is decent but nothing special although I admit I have so far only finished one playthrough. My main issue is the user interface. I really don't like the UI. Am playing on PC with controller and navigating the menus using controller is very painful. Also it takes way too many clicks to continue the game. Overall I still liked my first playthrough. Hopefully the story changes a lot on my second one as I plan to make very different decisions.
Yes should only be a 75 out of 100 so everyone knows its shit.

Chukhopops

Out of curiosity why not use KBM if you’re on PC? Game is a point and click in the end. Controller is ok but I had to basically double the sensitivity from the default value.

Overall I think the game was rated fairly personally. It has a few flaws but it’s fun and the story is quite good, slows down a bit after chapter 3 maybe.

DaGwaphics

This is the best thing MS has put out in a long time. Finished it in one day, playing on and off morning to midnight. If this game was ground beef 🥩 it’d be 98% lean. Theres no filler here. Straight to the point. All gas, no brakes.

I’m comparing this to similar choice/story based games like The Quarry, Detroit, Heavy Rain, TellTale, and Until Dawn. This is top notch. I have this up there with Detroit. I’m sitting there putting serious thought into each choice and second guessing myself afterwards.

Well done MS. Outstanding. My only gripe would be controls. Swipes are more a hold and less a swipe. Fucked up a few QTEs before figuring it out. If this wasn’t on Gamepass I would gladly pay whatever price they ask. It’s that good.

Don’t be put off by the art style. The story is fantastic. I’m about to look into this studio. These guys/gals are the real deal.

Yeah, I started playing and then kept coming back to it until I had finished my first play through on the first day.

The characters and the story were really well done for a video game. I was surprised by how well they used the semi-still images with the voice over to convey emotional responses. Hoping they do some more of these for GP.

Last edited:

Terenty

Wow this game is great, didn't expect that. I would even go as far as to put it above Until Dawn and the Walking Dead/Wolf Among Us.

Made me realize that the gameplay in those games is mostly useless and doesn't add much to the overall experience. Just give me cool story and choices and I'm good. This game nails it.

reksveks

Made me realize that the gameplay in those games is mostly useless and doesn't add much to the overall experience
There was something in one of the preview videos about how they tried to keep the players constantly leaned by giving them something to do every 20/30 seconds but there is something there imo.

I just finished the game and thought it was great but one of the things that could've elevated it further for me is if it had dynamic outcomes from interactive events like in other games. Stuff like tracking missing androids through camera feeds in Detroit, the survival meta of Road 96, or Kate's rooftop scene in Life is Strange and how it incorporated prior information you gathered. Parts where the game branches off of more than just choices, but the actions you take and what you can solve. They try some of this with the P&C screens but it doesn't have the same creativity of some of the very best choice driven adventure games.

But they still nail the core choice & consequence gameplay, there's a ton of memorable characters, and I really liked the art style. I'd give it a flat 8/10, great job with some room for improvement. I hope they'll be able to continue the story.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Played an hour of this earlier, definitely wouldn't have bought it, was surprised by the high scores.

Was really sucked in. Excellent writing and performances. My girlfriend watched me when I put it on and was still paying attention when I turned it off "you can't play that if I'm not around!" was her comment.

Top Bottom