• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As of 2024 Xbox been the only holdout from IMU controls being standard in gaming for 17 years

onQ123

Leaks show that they will finally join the rest of the industry with motion controls moving forward.
Next generation we should finally have IMU controls as a standard across the industry. This has taking way too long but better late than never but hopefully devs will find great use for the inputs now knowing that it will work on all platforms.

Bridges

Splatoon was probably the last game I remember enjoying gyro controls in. Most of the time it feels pretty gimmicky, though I do love bobbing my head back and forth in LittleBigPlanet.

More options is rarely a bad thing

Maybe they'll finally kinect with the general gaming populous and embrace IMU.

Awkward Season 9 GIF by The Office

Killer8

I love haptics and motion controls and think they add to most games where they are used. In fact I am disappointed more games don't use the features to their fullest potential.

It's just become a meme to hate on them, like QTEs in action games. Muh battery life!!

SoloCamo

Motion controls are absolutely useless outside of VR and if you use them for regular gaming... well... I'm sorry for your lack of basic motor skills with your fingers.

Objectively the best way to aim a cursor on screen, control FPS games, etc. The problem is poor implementation early on. They tried to use it to control things it has no business controlling, i.e. early PS3 games (flower, heavenly sword). When it's used to simply control a cursor slash control camera tilt it's like magic. Clearly many of y'all aren't ready to have that conversation yet though.

edit: this is the right vid

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I remember those shake the controller sections in Heavy Rain and how much ass they sucked. I turn off motion controls whenever possible. It's just such a huge distraction.

Remember Lair? Forced you to fly your dragon with motion controls. I played that game for about 5 minutes before taking it back and trading it in.

Motion controls in gamepad controllers never made any sense to me.

Objectively the best way to aim a cursor on screen, control FPS games, etc, imo.

ftfy

Remember Lair? Forced you to fly your dragon with motion controls. I played that game for about 5 minutes before taking it back and trading it in.

Motion controls in gamepad controllers never made any sense to me.

ftfy
no, you

I mean you literally referenced lair, exactly the improper implementation that I was talking about

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Yep, I remember Lair. In previews the concept looked ok enough. In reality it was frustrating and made me angry. I ended up trading it, too. Sony was trying really hard to make Sixaxis a positive thing in light of their temporary loss of DualShock power. Thank god they dropped the gimmick like a hot stone when rumble was back on the table.

Topher

Gold Member
no, you

I mean you literally referenced lair, exactly the improper inplementation what I was talking about

Saying motion controls are shit in one game doesn't imply motion controls are "objectively the best way to aim" in anything else. That's strictly a matter of opinion. Nothing objective about it.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Forced motion controls to guide the arrows made me put down Heavenly Sword. It seemed like a real fun game otherwise.

Saying motion controls are shit in one game doesn't imply motion controls are "objectively the best way to aim" in anything else. That's strictly a matter of opinion. Nothing objective about it.
Ok sure, it's my opinion that it's the best, but it's a very strong opinion! My point with the bad implementation is that formed people's opinions early on and caused people to write it off completely, see you're still talking about it today! Have you tried gyro aiming in modern games that support it? It should be standard over thumbstick.

Topher

Gold Member
Ok sure, it's my opinion that it's the best, but it's a very strong opinion! My point with the bad implementation is that formed people's opinions early on and caused people to write it off completely, see you're still talking about it today! Have you tried gyro aiming in modern games that support it? It should be standard over thumbstick.

If folks want to play games with motion controls they can buy a VR setup and do that right now. That's the only scenario where it being "standard" makes any sense. I damn sure am not going to us motion controls sitting at my desk playing Doom on my gaming PC regardless of how well they are implemented. Makes no sense.

Last edited:
If folks want to play games with motion controls they can buy a VR setup and do that right now. That's the only scenario where it being "standard" makes any sense. I damn sure am not going to us motion controls sitting at my desk playing Doom on my gaming PC regardless of how well they are implemented. Makes no sense.
Sigh, I don't think you don't really understand what I'm talking about. It's all in the video, watch it if you dare to open your third gaming eye.

The only thing I don’t understand is why those who dislike it want it to be taken away from others.

They claim it is bad and sucks to use, but at the same time won’t say why they don’t want the option. I mean, if it weren’t ‘bad’ and actually viable, that would make it a superior aiming option to joysticks…But then they would have to admit that, right? 🤔

Topher

Gold Member
The only thing I don’t understand is why those who dislike it want it to be taken away from others.

They claim it is bad and sucks to use, but at the same time won’t say why they don’t want the option. I mean, if it weren’t ‘bad’ and actually viable, that would make it a superior aiming option to joysticks…But then they would have to admit that, right? 🤔

Who is saying it should never be an option? As long as the option is for either using motion or not then I have no problem at all with that option being available. I also do not think motion controls are inherently bad. I agree with others that they have been poorly implemented. But I also have a hard time understanding how a traditional gamepad controller doubling as motion controls will ever be superior for aiming. That is what we are talking about, right? VR controllers are much more suited to that obviously, but that's not what most people have.

dave_d

Because a lot of people are Karens and hate others doing something they don't like that they have the uncontrollable urge to try and stop them. In other words the same attitude where people hate someone going faster than them on the highway that they'll cut them off, block the passing lane, and speed up when they try to pass.

Who is saying it should never be an option?
There are older gyro threads on this site where quite a few posters want it removed as an option, same with other social media sites. I think it’s odd that the same ones who bash it are usually the same ones who don’t want it.
But I also have a hard time understanding how a traditional gamepad controller doubling as motion controls will ever be superior for aiming. That is what we are talking about, right? VR controllers are much more suited to that obviously, but that's not what most people have.
I think watching the video in this thread or any of the videos on youtube that show off the benefits of gyro aiming can be your proof. There are even comparison videos. It will be immediately apparent once viewed.

We are all in agreeance that the Wii and PS3 had a really, really rough start with gyro. However, everyone should also agree that technology usually improves over time, no matter how small of a change. It usually wouldn’t be fair to look back to two generations ago as an example to measure the technologies of today. The PS3 and Wii are going to be 20 years old pretty soon.

Topher

Gold Member
There are older gyro threads on this site where quite a few posters want it removed as an option, same with other social media sites. I think it’s odd that the same ones who bash it are usually the same ones who don’t want it.

I think watching the video in this thread or any of the videos on youtube that show off the benefits of gyro aiming can be your proof. There are even comparison videos. It will be immediately apparent once viewed.

We are all in agreeance that the Wii and PS3 had a really, really rough start with gyro. However, everyone should also agree that technology usually improves over time, no matter how small of a change. It usually wouldn’t be fair to look back to two generations ago as an example to measure the technologies of today. The PS3 and Wii are going to be 20 years old pretty soon.

Fair enough. I watched some of the video above, but not all. I think I get the gist. But yeah, as I said, all for motion controls as an option. I just doubt devs will go to the effort. I mean......I've been saying for a while that consoles need to have keyboard and mouse support particularly for FPS, but that rarely ever happens. And that is something these same devs are going to implement in the PC ports anyway. I'd imagine implementing motion controls are a bit more difficult than that.

.I've been saying for a while that consoles need to have keyboard and mouse support particularly for FPS, but that rarely ever happens. And that is something these same devs are going to implement in the PC ports anyway.
I would consider this as a handshake deal. If they make KBM a standard on consoles, then gyro must be a standard too. They have to go hand in hand it or doesn’t work.

The alternative is cranking up the auto aim levels, and the way they currently are already pisses off KBM players in certain games.

IAmRei

I rarely use Gyro, one game i recall is BoTW/ToTK. and use it for assisting my lazy hand when i lay down on the bean bag. also with adaptive trigger, not add much immersive for me.

This thread makes me remember another Microsoft piece of shit:

speed_wheel.jpg

Tried it for 30 minutes. What a waste of time.

Last edited:
Fair enough. I watched some of the video above, but not all. I think I get the gist. But yeah, as I said, all for motion controls as an option. I just doubt devs will go to the effort. I mean......I've been saying for a while that consoles need to have keyboard and mouse support particularly for FPS, but that rarely ever happens. And that is something these same devs are going to implement in the PC ports anyway. I'd imagine implementing motion controls are a bit more difficult than that.
Consoles have native KB+M support. It's the devs that dont implement it in games.
You can even navigate the menus with a keyboard.

Call of Duty
Cities Skylines
Sea of Thieves

These are 3 that I remember playing with keyboard and mouse.

Xbox KB+M games
PS4 KB+M games
PS5 KB+M games

While not a lot considering the entire libraries of games, it is there.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Consoles have native KB+M support. It's the devs that dont implement it in games.
You can even navigate the menus with a keyboard.

Call of Duty
Cities Skylines
Sea of Thieves

These are 3 that I remember playing with keyboard and mouse.

Xbox KB+M games
PS4 KB+M games
PS5 KB+M games

While not a lot considering the entire libraries of games, it is there.

Yeah, dev support is what I meant. Should be a standard option, imo.

Top Bottom