• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As the manufacturer warranty for my PS5 comes to an end, to swap or not to swap

Swap or not to swap?

• Total voters

LordOfChaos

Crazy, I know, but I got my PS5 in March of last year, which means the default warranty is coming to an end in two short months (going forward, it was extended through my credit card, but they'd probably only cover it breaking down, not minor issues).

The debate I'm having here is whether to try for a swap out. I have two little niggles with it, otherwise I love the machine. One, while I thought it was dead quiet when I got it, it didn't take long for updates, games, or whatever it was to start making it audible from couch distance. It's not bad...It's way quieter than my 360 of course, my PS4 naturally, my Wii U...But I can hear it. And when I talk to people who proclaim complete silence I wonder if I should play the lottery again and try to get one while I can.

The other thing is that the right joystick already has some slight control drift, when returning to center it sometimes does a slow pan and half the time I'm like is this some kind of game thing but nope lol, touch it and it stops in any game. I know I could probably deal with the Dualsense as a separate issue, but if I'm going without one, may as well do both at once.

I thought I'd do it when the warranty was this close to over, but now that the time is here, I'm debating sticking with the devil I know...Apart from not being completely silent (I guess I also hear a bit of VRM crackle if I aim my ear close), the machine is still solid and there's no other issues I noted with it that weren't early firmware.

P.s I did check the dust cleaning ports and fan - clean as a whistle after nearly a year. There was also that whole debate with the smaller heatsink but perhaps better optimized layout on the new revisions.

What would you do?

Last edited:

Gaelyon

Gold Member
Keep it. It's quiet enough and you could get a noisier one as well. It's an unjustified gamble.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'm going to keep mine when the warranty expires. I'm about to send my One X to a shop to have the thermal paste changed and have everything dusted and cleaned. I imagine I'll do the same thing with my PS5 and XSX at some point to keep the thermals optimal.

I'm going to keep mine when the warranty expires. I'm about to send my One X to a shop to have the thermal paste changed and have everything dusted and cleaned. I imagine I'll do the same thing with my PS5 and XSX at some point to keep the thermals optimal.
I should open my PS5 for a quick check.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
When you start caring about what other people think or experience about console noise you need to stop and not care.
Dont let other people effect you, use your own judgement.

AGRacing

What are you hearing ? Fan noise or coil whine ? I'd be surprised if you were hearing the fan. I hear the disc drive a lot... but never the fan.

LordOfChaos

What are you hearing ? Fan noise or coil whine ? I'd be surprised if you were hearing the fan. I hear the disc drive a lot... but never the fan.

I hear the fan specifically when it really gets going in specific titles. Coil whine I can hear only when I put my ear close to the intake. I can tell the difference and it's definitely the whir of the fan picking up sometimes.

The disk drive is loud when it's running but not part of this at all, as it shuts down quickly after the DRM check.

When you start caring about what other people think or experience about console noise you need to stop and not care.
Dont let other people effect you, use your own judgement.

It's more wondering what the lottery odds would look like on the newer consoles

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

listen to this individual, you are over thinking it.
100%

Sounds like you’re nitpicking to be honest, all console hardware will eventually degrade over time, increasing all the minor issues you’re describing.

Best case scenario: you get a brand new unit as replacement and offset the slight niggles for another 12 months.

Worst case (more likely) scenario: you get a refurbished unit that is worse than the one you have currently, being that you seem like a very careful consumer to even notice such things.

TLDR: it’s fine, you’re worrying about nothing. Consumer electronics will always degrade and eventually fail at some point. You obviously care enough to notice it happening, the owner of you’re likely refurbished unit may not have been so careful.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

I'm sure your good but check airflow and vents, I honestly can't hear mine playing 4K games especially from couch. I've used mine at least 3 to 4 days a week.

I would however contact Sony about stick drift and grab a new dualsense.

Kilau

Sounds like the system is working fine. Keep it for trade in on the inevitable slim/pro upgrade.

LordOfChaos

Is the PS5 LOUD or the DISC Drive. Some people don't know the difference.

It's not the disk drive.

I'm sure your good but check airflow and vents, I honestly can't hear mine playing 4K games especially from couch. I've used mine at least 3 to 4 days a week.

I would however contact Sony about stick drift and grab a new dualsense.

Yeah the Dualsense I'll definitely RMA. Like I said the innards are whistle clean after nearly a year, it just seemed to be some combination of games or updates and it was no longer as nearly silent as I remember it from the first few months.

If the RMA was a refurb I wouldn't consider it, but is that the case?

Last edited:
Top Bottom