• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As the NX reveal looms, what are your thoughts on the WiiU/3DS generation?

Jeremy

I love the Wii U and the 3DS. I'm having financial difficulties at the moment that are resulting in me parting with a lot of electronics I have and I'm having a hard time getting around to selling both of these consoles, even if I touch them once a month. They have some bad ass games that I'll probably never get around to and I hate that. I'm hoping one day they're able to convert games to the No Wiimote/No GamePad with patches and put them in the virtual console. As for the console itself, when they announced it I was pretty disappointed. I didn't think the GamePad idea was going to catch on and believed Nintendo had a straight up dud. It looks like I wasn't wrong overall but as far as the games, some are way to special to be left behind, confined to the Wii U's hardware.

The 3DS is pretty amazing all around. I personally wouldn't mind dropping the touch screen but that just me most likely. I'm a "dig through menus" type but that's not the way it should be for sure. I still don't use 3D Touch on my phone or play exclusively mobile phone/tablet games.

I've enjoyed my WiiU though it didn't get played as much as I would have liked.

Owned a 3DS for a little bit, realized that I'm past hand held gaming despite wanting to play some of the games.

Really hoping that the NX is a proper hybrid that allows me to play a hand held every so often but play at home much more.

CTLance

3DS is a handheld with a Region Code. A Region Code. But without a charger - not even a charging cable was supplied in EU. Fuck that.

Plus, the non-new models were underpowered for what they asked for. Still a neat piece of kit, but just not worth the asking price. And that completely killed off any momentum until Nintendo decided to sacrifice WiiU to rescue 3DS, which doomed that system to an undeserved end. Thankfully, the hard brake strategy managed to let the 3DS live a decent life. DS obviously shits on it from a great height due to better value, region free, humongous library (DS+GBA > 3DS+DS) and better battery life, but that was a Wii level phenomenon. The new series at least theoretically added some value, but if I ever find out who designed the nub I'm gonna twist his thumbs off and jam them in their ... ahem.

WiiU completely failed on all fronts, especially at launch with the horrible GUI lag, the questionable software release cycles and frankly, due to being the successor to the Wii without getting the corresponding amount of support. It never had a chance, really. Nice enough idea that keeps the price for the system too high, plus Nintendo never really got to show off its gimmicks (remember that TV guide thing?). Still kinda meh with the lacking battery life of the controller, the missing multitouch and the inability to serve more than one full Gamepad. Shaky VC support was annoying. Overall, kinda okay, but not overwhelming library of solid should-play titles. Not a loss to own one, but also not a loss to not own one. A resounding Meh.

Amazing to see Nintendo completely fail to capitalise on both DS and Wii successes.

redcrayon

3DS software output was/is exactly what I want from a portable. Great stuff from Nintendo, Square, Capcom and Atlus amongst others.

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
I never said anything like that. Of course it "counts". But when the argument is that Splatoon is great because it's Nintendo's most fresh new IP in 10 years... well, of course it is. There's almost no competition.

I know there are other reasons it's a good game, I was addressing one post in particular.

I'd argue it's the freshest shooter in years on ANY console.

I had an amazing time with both, but there's no denying the huge problems Nintendo experienced throughout this last generation.

I'm hoping what we see today will indicate they've learned a lot in the last few years.

Both are terrible hardware with some great games.

I will enjoy the games once emulators come out, just like I did with Wii/Dolphin.

Qwyjibo

I owned both. These were my first Nintendo consoles since the SNES although I had tons of time playing the Wii at friend's houses (and it wasn't too enjoyable).

3DS - Obviously not the greatest tech but the games library more than made up for it. I still play my 3DS almost as much as my PC and more than my PS4. I first bought a regular XL when A Link Between Worlds came out. I later bought a new XL to play Xenoblade Chronicles. The 3D effect really only became effective for me with the n3DS and I enjoy having it on for most games when playing at home. It's too much of a battery drain on the go. That's a bit late to have the core gimmick finally work as intended though. Still, an awesome games library and good portability. The 3DS is one of my favourite gaming platforms ever.

Wii U - Meh. It pretty much gathers dust these days. I bought it using a combination of store promotions (Shoppers Drug Mart in Canada) which gave me a ton of value back in store points. There is no way I would've ever paid full price for it. Mario Kart 8 and Bayonetta 2 were incredible and among the best titles of this generation. Xenoblde Chronicles X was very good but I constantly wondered "wow, I wish this was on a more powerful system" while playing it. The rest? Not much that impressed me. The gamepad is cumbersome to use for long stretches and making it mandatory was a huge mistake, IMO. Nintendo's archaic online philosophies and online store just added to the huge miscalculation that the Wii U was.

This is why I want Nintendo to fully commit to portable gaming. I have very little faith in them creating a viable lasting home console.

Aiustis

3DS is a great handheld. Doubly so as someone who did not get a DS. Possibly tied with the PSP as my favorite handheld ever. Streetpass, Activity Log and Download play all stood out to me. In addition to that were the games, which have been fun and plentiful.

Wii U was a surprise buy; I am very satisfied with it. It's made me realize that I can never do a console that ties me to my tv again and helped me realize that I wasn't missing anything by going PC/Nintendo. Also because I didn't have a Wii, I catch up on Wii games, using the gamepad instead of the tv.

This Wii U/3DS made console gaming fun again for me.

Wii U off-screen play was used constantly by me. Other than that Pikmin 3, Mario Maker and Splatoon I can't really fathom playing without the gamepad.

Top Bottom