• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

dohdough

Dumpling-Animation.gif

Not liking mooncakes is understandable. Not liking soup dumplings crossed the line.

Bruce-Lee-Ready-To-Get-Down-Reaction-Gif.gif

COME AT ME ASIAN-GAF

Going to celebrate the same way I do every year: have 2 dinners with the fam and another dinner with the extended fam.

The only times I've ever celebrated Chinese New Year was when I was still taking Mandarin classes in Middle/High School. The teacher would get the cooking classes room to ourselves and we would make moon cakes. Certain years we would take a field trip to a museum or something.

But Happy early Chinese New Years to y'all. I'll probably be getting drunk like usual.

Izuna

Banned
I went to college which was like 70% native Chinese and 20% native Vietnamese (yes, that many international Asian students) -- and I learnt to never say Chinese New Year, haha

zeemumu

I went to college which was like 70% native Chinese and 20% native Vietnamese (yes, that many international Asian students) -- and I learnt to never say Chinese New Year, haha

My elementary school used to celebrate it and give out the red envelopes.

y2dvd

I am craving ramen. And I don't even mean the legit Japanese ramen. I'm talking about cheap instant ramen. I don't even know!

robox

I am craving ramen. And I don't even mean the legit Japanese ramen. I'm talking about cheap instant ramen. I don't even know!

I spent the day at Yokohama ramen museum. Then danced all night and got ramen before going back home. Maybe a little too much amd not all that Chinese... Happy new year!

Forget moon cakes, does anybody actually like New Years cake? It's more like some sorta gelatin...

Howdy Happy Lunar New Year to everyone in this fine thread!

and it's always nice backslashbunny still with us.

I do apologize for anti Chinese sentiment in America and from our current president.

Sorry :_:

vern

Happy cny !

Spent it in snowy dongbei playing mahjong and eating shuijiao and guobaorou.

Didn't know people eat moon cake during the new year, thought that's just a mid autumn festival thing. I like fruit moon cakes, pineapple, strawberry, that sort of thing. They aren't the traditional ones (dry and filled with birdseed and egg lol) but they are at least edible. Also Haagen - daaz makes some good ice cream mooncakes here in china.

Tripon

Happy Lunar New Years everyone. It's also my Birthday, and I always think its a bit weird when both happen near each other.

I woke up this morning to see Donnie Dipshit has:

1) put a ban on immigrants, refuges, and green card holders from "Muslim" countries (soon to be anyone brown). Better start reciting the 10 commandments.

2) got some official in China sprouting off shit about war with the US (and some of the posts in that thread are like wat)

This is the WORST year. Maybe it being the year of the cock has reminded the Orange Shitstain of his own insecurities.

Heh, you said cock. I'm so immature, lol.

Happy Lunar New Year, folks. It's Noon so that means the liquor comes out. Cheers to you beautiful people in here &#127862; <- picture Whiskey instead of Sake.

1) put a ban on immigrants, refuges, and green card holders from "Muslim" countries (soon to be anyone brown). Better start reciting the 10 commandments.

2) got some official in China sprouting off shit about war with the US (and some of the posts in that thread are like wat)

This is the WORST year. Maybe it being the year of the cock has reminded the Orange Shitstain of his own insecurities.
Truly, it's the year of Donald Trump.

zeemumu

Yeah, I don't get it either. I can only assume that the people who voted for this bullshit to happen took all of this at face value and didn't think about it in the slightest, and the people that they elected know that they can probably use the magic of money to bail if things get bad and throw everyone under the bus. What really frustrates me us the possibility that once they get thrown under the bus, they won't admit that they were wrong. Instead, they'll put it all on Trump and act like they had no hand in it and were also only victims of his bad policies, and then we'll have to do this all over again the next time some asshole runs for office.

I've never in my life felt ashamed to be American until the past recent months. I'm sure if one of those Trump supporters heard me say this out loud they'd gladly ask me to get out or go back to my country I suppose. I'm going to assume that we as Asians(and I mean East and Southeast) aren't getting the brunt of the shit being tossed at minorities in this country nowadays. But like I told my friends and cousins, "don't think for a second that we're on there side". We're not on there side and they gladly come after us next if they somehow got rid of everybody else.

I've never admitted this on GAF, but I'm one of the guys that didn't vote. Was dumb and lazy. I feel like such an asshole and I'm fired up. I want to do what I can next time. I don't think I'm the kind of person that will be out there knocking on doors or calling strangers asking for them to vote. But I will definitely vote myself next time and want to talk to all the friends and family around me and encourage them to vote as well. Their were just way too many people like me and we all need to get our lazy asses off the couch and do the right thing.

I'm hoping us Minnesotans get adopted by our neighbors up north, lol. On the map we would either be the dick of Canada or a shoe :p

Honestly, I don't know. Minnesota is a decent place, well.... The Twin Cities that is, and I hope we can fight back against Trump. I honestly don't know what our Hmong senator's are doing and I should try and pay more attention soon. I know everybody says this about their own culture/ethnicity/race but we Hmong folks are fighters and it's past due that we should fight back.

I'm hoping us Minnesotans get adopted by our neighbors up north, lol. On the map we would either be the dick of Canada or a shoe :p

Honestly, I don't know. Minnesota is a decent place, well.... The Twin Cities that is, and I hope we can fight back against Trump. I honestly don't know what our Hmong senator's are doing and I should try and pay more attention soon. I know everybody says this about their own culture/ethnicity/race but we Hmong folks are fighters and it's past due that we should fight back.
O' Leary is already the dick of Canada. Sorry.

I've never been to Minnesota but those that I've met from Minnesota are always super nice and seem to have a lot of pride in their state..

You're a Minnesotan to me, bunny &#55357;&#56397;

Edit: holy shit at that Time Crysral thread. I think I get it? I'm not drunk enough for that shit.

zeemumu

What happened?

One of my parents was doing something with my car and left with their car without returning my keys. I was going to the movies so I grabbed the spare and left, assuming someone would be there to let me in when I got back since I didn't have a house key on them. So I get back about an hour and half later and no one's home, so I went to go get gas/wander around until someone came home. That was almost 3 hours ago. My phone died a few minutes after that last post. I ended up going to Walmart and buying a cord to use with the power bank that I left in the backpack in my car so I could charge my phone enough to make a call

I got a cousin who moved to Minnesota to marry his wife. They were doing great over there, but his mom got sick so he and his wife and kid moved back. Unfortunately she passed away, now there is nothing holding him back and he said it's likely that he will move back.

He also asked me a question. He asked if I was interested in moving over there if he did. He said he'd house me until I can get on my feet. I've been interested in moving there for years but just didn't have the courage to move over there to start over from scratch and I have no close family over there. But I would have him and his support.

From everything I hear their is more opportunity for us compared to NC. I know my parents won't like it but my wife and I want to do what's best for us instead of feeling like we have to stay where most of the relatives are for the sake of that. So if he moves and he doesn't change his mind about the offer he gave me, I might be living in Minnesota by the end of the year or sometime next year.

I got a cousin who moved to Minnesota to marry his wife. They were doing great over there, but his mom got sick so he and his wife and kid moved back. Unfortunately she passed away, now there is nothing holding him back and he said it's likely that he will move back.

He also asked me a question. He asked if I was interested in moving over there if he did. He said he'd house me until I can get on my feet. I've been interested in moving there for years but just didn't have the courage to move over there to start over from scratch and I have no close family over there. But I would have him and his support.

From everything I hear their is more opportunity for us compared to NC. I know my parents won't like it but my wife and I want to do what's best for us instead of feeling like we have to stay where most of the relatives are for the sake of that. So if he moves and he doesn't change his mind about the offer he gave me, I might be living in Minnesota by the end of the year or sometime next year.

Minnesota, again the Twin Cities, is very helpful towards Hmong people because of how big our population is. We have plenty of opportunities for tech, art, and the medical field. I'm not sure about other fields but I wouldn't be surprised if the opportunities are slim.

But the thought of starting over is scary and I wouldn't be surprised if you don't move here. I'm sure you are already doing this but research everything. Make a list of pros and cons for what state you are thinking about moving to. I also recommend making a quick Reddit account and ask r/minnesota, r/twincities, or r/minneapolis about the job opportunities here and how easy the transition can be.

Llyranor

Hey all. Happy New Year!

All the US news has been depressing lately, so I am hoping to cheer myself up with good West Coast food while I am there.

Any recommendations in LA for Dim Sum, sushi, and KBBQ?

dramatis

Margin of victory in 2016 in MN was only a measly 1.52%. Not to mention that even in a landslide year like 2008, MN only elected Franken by about 300 votes (out of over 2 million cast).

I won't say you should let politics dictate where you wish to go and live, but MN is probably more important in the future than people would think. I think on This American Life they did a podcast about fearmongering speakers crisscrossing MN lying about how Muslims move in and implement Sharia Law.

Happy Lunar New Year, guys.

Eat anything yummy?

Political note- so proud of all the Asian American lawyers and judges stepping up the plate.

had steak and yumcha and lots of stuff :D

and that's awesome to hear, about asian american lawyers and judges stepping up <3 needs more of humanity restoring news like this :thumbsup:

Top Bottom