• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin’s Creed: Unity Framerate Is “Atrocious”

Can a game like this even be enjoyed with terrible performance?
If there is a patch, for sure.

Oh boy.

AUAJPbx.png

Guy works for Joystiq.
Oh no

Truant

Don't forget the fact that everybody benefits from this being fixed. Even the people who don't care or "can't see framedrops".

Bennicus

If I buy spray cheese in a can, press the nozzle, and the cheese doesn't come out at a fluid frame rate I am taking that shit back to the store.

Haha, just imagining you raging at the bewildered shop staff "THE FRAME RATE ON THIS CHEESE IS UNACCEPTABLE!!"

The Souls series has a horrible framerate, yet it is not held to the fire like this. From what I have seen, there is nothing that approaches Blight Town levels of bad. So as long as it does not constantly perform worse than that, then I will be fine.

The soul series is a niche' series by a small developer, people expect more from companies with thousands of developers and tens of millions of dollars of budget per title.

Teletraan1

Banned
People have been playing AAA games with sub-par framerates for decades now. Just because we have Digital Foundry doesn't mean that the masses suddenly give a shit.

Perfect Dark, Ocarina of Time, Mario Kart 64, Star Fox (SNES), GTA San Andreas, Killzone...all much worse than the average game nowadays.

I didn't like the framerate in those games either. Whats the point? Just because some older games overshot their hardware doesn't make the same practice with current games any more acceptable.

The average person defense is so tiring. The average person also doesn't discuss things on a videogame discussion board. So stifling discussion because they don't care is kind of counter productive, especially to all the above average people who are in here taking issue to the digital shit that ubisoft just dropped.

Bennicus

They can enjoy what they want. Me saying this needs to stop doesn't prevent anyone from going out there and buying it anyway. That goes without saying. So it doesn't even require saying.

The fact is, though, this deserves a crusade. So I won't stop.

Fair enough :)

I guess if the game runs like shit everywhere then that counts as parity... Right?

Don't pre-order video games kids! ESPECIALLY UBISOFT GAMES... ON PC.

Let's all hold hands and say it all together "We will not pre-order Ubisoft games anymore"

20 FPS on PS4, 10 FPS on X1 confirmed.

Still, Ubisoft is usually very good with their tech and engines, disappointing.

Reallllllyyyy hope Far Cry 4 turns up good.

I expect FC4 will run much better simply because the embargo for that is up four days before it's release. Unity has launched and I still don't see any reviews.(???) I don't believe I've ever seen that before. Clearly, Ubisoft was trying to hide this mess.

Amir0x

Banned
I guess if the game runs like shit everywhere then that counts as parity... Right?

Don't pre-order video games kids! ESPECIALLY UBISOFT GAMES... ON PC.

Let's all hold hands and say it all together "Well will not pre-order Ubisoft games anymore"

it only counts as parity if it runs equally shitty lol

Euron

Oh boy.

AUAJPbx.png

Guy works for Joystiq.
Holy Shit. This is going to be amazing. If the game runs as badly as people say it does, I hope Ubisoft is torn apart.

Sadly I'm part of the problem. Getting it since the SSO Bundle is sold out. But I'm doing it for Master Chief.

Truant

I hope the game bombs, and hard. I don't hate the series, I just hate Ubisoft, their tactics and their bullshit that tag along with the name.

I agree. I'm usually against wanting something to fail, but in Ubisofts case they need to wake up and listen to feedback. I love the AC games, but the technical shortcomings are unacceptable.

Along with a trail of broken promises, every Ubisoft game has some sort of major problem, usually more than one. Stop giving them money for this shit. Buy a used copy if you must.

who do you trust, fellow gaffers saying the game is good, fellow gaffers saying the game is bad, or game journalists...

tough to say.

ironcreed

Banned
The soul series is a niche' series by a small developer, people expect more from companies with thousands of developers and tens of millions of dollars of budget per title.

My point was that even some of the best games I have ever played have technical problems. Especially when it is a large open world with lots going on. From what I have watched of this, the game is more than playable and actually looks pretty damn good.

Ateron

Its not a bottleneck. Its a developer making a choice to forego great performance in favor 10,000 NPCs.

The hardware is capable of what folks in here are asking, Ubisoft isn't willing to give it to them however.

Yeah, this. If Ubi decided to render 50,000 npcs with the highest detail models possible, they could bring the most powerful pc to its knees. Doesn't mean the PC isn't a beast, it just means they went completely batshit insane and decided it would look even better at 1fps.

Auctopus

The worst part (to me) is the allocations that went towards rendering such a ridiculous amount of people on screen could've been used more productively somewhere else to create more immersion.

I remember first seeing the screens with the crowds and thinking 'so, what?' - I really didn't think they added to the game. After playing it, it's sad that their over-ambition went towards something that wasn't entirely necessary or could've at least been reduced.

Gaming Press reviews summary: "This game is a technical disaster that destroys immersion with frequent fits of frustration."

Metacritic Score: 92*

*Lets hope this doesn't happen, but somehow I can see this game scoring consistently high even if its the same bland bullshit in every other AC game with the added joy of performance issues galore.

Amir0x

Banned
who do you trust, fellow gaffers saying the game is good, fellow gaffers saying the game is bad, or game journalists...

tough to say.

trust yourself. if you are like godelsmetric and have a history of gleefully enjoying games that are 15-20fps and it never was any skin off your back, congrats: you can still love it.

Also have to deal with epic pop-in, of course. And endless glitches. And 900p resolution. But whatevs, I sorta figure if you're the type of person to be OK with 20-25fps consistent drops, that's probably a non-issue as well ;)

Well this looks like it's going to be fun... Never EVER a good sign when reviewers are embargoed till release day (or worse, aren't even given a copy to review till release day).

Shinjica

I'm stating a fact. This shit needs to stop. And all the people willing to buy into this shit anyway are directly contributing to the fact devs/pubs know they don't have to live up to any standard. They can just deliver shit in a box and gamers will grin ear-to-ear and take it, because "GEOMETRY" and "CROWDS" in a repetitive open world grindbox. I mean, that's the line for people.

Nobody is blowing up. The reality is this shit needs to stop. These people are buying the games in large number, and allowing devs/pubs to just believe anything goes with performance which directly impacts how good a game is and how well the gameplay works, on top of how it looks.

There is another problem. The majority of people who will buy this game dont know this problem at all

inki

I just bought this and COD (and Halo which I'm returning... I don't even own an xb1) for $40 each. Being a freshly minted BB Gamers Club member I plan to play this, sell it to BB for a profit and pick up GTA V next week.. so 3 games for approx $83. Plus that gets me $10 off my next game at BB AND I will have whatever trade in value I have for both COD and GTA V to put toward future purchases.

Also I'm a little perturbed at all this MOB mentality going on. Most people who are asking for blood haven't even played the game. I'll make my own decision.

Top Bottom