• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin’s Creed: Unity Framerate Is “Atrocious”

I recorded that video on the Xbox One from the first page earlier and yeah game is a mess not to mention from the start I can tell it's the same ol AC shit as well. I got it with the bundle, as I would usually buy multiplats on PS4 in this games case even free was a bit too much spent. Its not a great looking game for these crowds that are just uninteresting obstacles to run through to bring down performance that much. I'd take Infamous lifeless city over this whole thing based on an hour of play. Go figure.

Infamous SS isnt lifeless anymore since Patch number 1 or 2.

gotoadgo

Every time something like this happens I lose faith in this industry and the hobby in general. I'm glad I didn't support Watch Dogs and definitely won't support this, it's appaling.

This is, as I said in the other thread, why you should never per order a game. Especially when reviews are embargoed. There is no benefit to giving publishers money before checking the product first.

Preordering games from trustworthy publishers is ok (say... Nintendo, Atlus, Nis America etc.)

...but people really should know by now that Ubisoft doesn´t deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Seems like AC3 all over again, the game clearly needs more dev time but ubi are going to force it out for holiday and we are left with a buggy mess that runs like dogshit.

leadbelly

Banned
giphy.gif

Yeah. This game is a mess.

Sounds to me like they never got over the technical issues of creating such large crowds.

Edit: Although the crowds aren't even particularly large there. :/

Alienous

They demo'd Assassin's Creed: Rogue and its shitty framerate on last-gen consoles publicly. I'm not surprised framerate isn't a concern when it comes to Unity.

They just don't give a fuck.

I'd love to see one of the console brands standing up to these publishers. It would take big balls, but in the long run, it will help consumers.

The vocal minority (majority here, minority in the main) won't change a thing. This game will be on of the years biggest sellers and no amount of frame rate issues will impact pre-orders. All this review embargo nonsense puts so much power in the publishers hands and is really hurting consumers.

The problem is, the pre-order people really are beta testing games now. Digital delivery (and updates) are in some ways a good thing, but it really is a system that is being abused.

Back in the day, when a game was released on a disc or a cartridge, that was that. No downloadable updates. No fixes.

That doesn't mean to say that games were bug free, of course some existed. But in the main, publishers and developers had to get most things 99% right. There was no release dates. There was no 'pressure' to get the game out on a set date to hit marketing budgets. Everything just worked.

Compare it to the movie industry. Anyone remember the Wolverine 'Pirate Copy' debacle? Read about it here -

Basically, a half finished copy of Wolverine leaked onto the internet. The main bulk of the film was OK, it was some of the CGI that was missing, it even had things like green screen moments where production had not been completed.

Could you imagine if that was released at the cinema to the mainstream? And they basically said "Come back in a few months, once the bugs are all fixed".

In a way, I feel for the developers in all this. They are the ones under pressure.

I work in a development team (not gaming and not as a developer), and I see it all the time. The 'commercial' side of the business tends to win through and often a product is released that we know has bugs. Now, if those are minor that will impact a small number of people, then it may be a risk worth taking (e.g different browsers and OS's)

With gaming and consoles, it is a closed system. So if a frame rate impacts on person on one console, it will impact every person who has the same console.

All I ask for is a game that works. If that means toning down a graphical effect, reducing the NPC's, reducing the resolution. I am fine with that. I don't demand 60 fps on all my games. I understand the limitations of development. I expect a rock solid 30 though, this is not the N64.

Wow, Ubisoft's engine really has problems taking advantage of increased hardware power. No surprise to PC owners who, from Assassin's Creed 3 onwards, have had to deal with inexplicably low hardware utilization and mysteriously poor performance.

Not that I find it remotely acceptable many have hailed Ocarina of Time as one of the best games ever made. Would that have made a better book?

16 year old game that was incredibly innovative released on ancient hardware versus a cookie cutter yearly entry in a stagnating series on the shiniest new gaming consoles.

Plus OoT3D runs at 30fps.

MavFan619

Banned
Infamous SS isnt lifeless anymore since Patch number 1 or 2.
I was actually kidding about it being lifeless altogether to me that's about as much crowd interaction as I need if the alternative is having way more people for little to no reason.
kbX6Ivn.jpg

I wish Xbox One had screenshot function because this moment would have been better shared if it was clearer.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
My biggest hope from Ubi's open world games this gen was that they wouldn't run like ass. Really dissappointed with this result if it holds up for most of the game.

Oh dear, I feel really sorry for people with decent gaming rigs who were scared into going with the console version. They got royally screwed over.

Alienous

Not that I find it remotely acceptable many have hailed Ocarina of Time as one of the best games ever made. Would that have made a better book?

If it had released in 2014, and not 16 years prior where polygons and the scale that OOT displayed was still a relatively new thing, then sure.

barit

The real sad thing is that Ubisoft don't give a fuck because this game will still sell millions on day one anyway.

It's ok, surely the populace that doesn't care about meaningless stuff like framerates can't tell the difference between 15 and 30 fps.

scoobs

Yes Infamous SS was a looker but if ND or SSM manage to get their games at 1080P (This is a given) and 60 FPS (less certain) with at least same visual quality of the SP game than...

Naughty dogs ICE team is a buncha wizards.... they'll put everyone to shame like they always do then the rest will catch up.

ICPEE

Here’s Unity‘s World Level Design Director, Nicolas Guerin:

“At Ubisoft for a long time we wanted to push 60 fps. I don’t think it was a good idea because you don’t gain that much from 60 fps and it doesn’t look like the real thing. It’s a bit like The Hobbit movie, it looked really weird.

“And in other games it’s the same – like the Rachet and Clank series [where it was dropped]. So I think collectively in the video game industry we’re dropping that standard because it’s hard to achieve, it’s twice as hard as 30fps, and its not really that great in terms of rendering quality of the picture and the image.”

The game’s creative director, Alex Amancio also chimed in that 30 fps “feels more cinematic” and that “it actually feels better for people when it’s at 30 fps.”
lol.gif

The impact the game had made it that we were ready to forgive Ocarina of Time a lot. Maybe I missed something but I don't think AC:U will ever be considered as impactful. It will be pushed and forgotten as soon as the next entry comes sometime next year.

Also my post was not meant to be taken that seriously... ;-)

valkyre

Yes Infamous SS was a looker but if ND or SSM manage to get their games at 1080P (This is a given) and 60 FPS (less certain) with at least same visual quality of the SP game than...

Agreed.

We are still in 1st gen games in these consoles. The fact that SP was able to produce such visuals in a window launch title is just telling you were we will go when 2nd and 3rd gen games arrive....

Ubisoft claiming the maxed every OUNCE of power is just borderline disgusting.

Their arrogance is appalling... they were quick to go on and bash Shadow of Mordor and it might not have the density of ACU or the number of NPCs, but fuck me it has tons of enemies thrown at you with exceptional detail and no pop in bullshit and a perfect framerate.

Also, it is a much more fun game to begin with...

But hey this is Ubisoft, class ass arrogant Ubisoft....

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Only yesterday I was bitching about having to wait till Friday to play this game. It's 11:30 here right now, I'd have been 2 hours into it by now. Glad about those extra couple of days now to judge just how bad it is

Mohonky

......but people were saying PS4 could easily do this at 1080p, Ubi held it at 900p because MS told them too!

Seriously neither of these consoles coupled with the engines apparent lack of optimisation was going to run this at 1080p. Ubisoft gonna need to patch in some extra frames.

Top Bottom