• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Empire first leaked screenshot

RiZ III

Is the 3rd pic/painting from Egypt? Seems a bit Greek-y/Roman-y to me :p Though given those two/three civilaztions were, at some point, in heavy contact with each other I wouldn't be surprised if some things crossed over on all sides.

It's an illustration of Alexandria between 3rd and 1st century BC. So yea it's not technically ancient Egypt. It would be interesting if this was set during the Hellenic or Roman time period.

SillyJoe

Oof, sorry to get your panties in a bunch. I was actually in the midst of updating that screenshot. As for being uploaded to imgur (muh compression), who cares -- it demonstrates the difference quite nicely. As for your screenshots, I don't much care. I can open up the game right now and it looks like bum cheese.

I can't muster any interest to play any new AC game. Ubi should have taken the AC2 rerelease seriously and make a full remake with 50% more content.

UrbanRats

Oof, sorry to get your panties in a bunch. I was actually in the midst of updating that screenshot. As for being uploaded to imgur (muh compression), who cares -- it demonstrates the difference quite nicely. As for your screenshots, I don't much care. I can open up the game right now and it looks like bum cheese.

Of all the things you could criticize Unity for, going at the graphics makes you look like a fool.
One of the best open world looking games around (reason why it ran like shit, too).

Could it be more obvious many of the AC leaks over time have been "official"?

Like which ones?

The one who happened on a plane?

Not the fault of the game if your playing it on weak hardware.

Peter Tran doesn't exist. The image from yesterday is fake. The video from today is fake. It's. All. Fake. That's not to say an Ancient Egypt game isn't in developement. We fell for it because we wanted it to be true. So yeah it's all fake. 100% debunked. The video from today, the in-game menu was using the Deus Ex: Mankind Divided soundtrack.

4jjiyoon

The whole thing is 100% tosh. It's all fake. The photo from yesterday. The supposed menu from today. It was all fake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eHMz2RhvyE&feature=youtu.be&a

Peter Tran doesn't exist. The image from yesterday is fake. The video from today is fake. It's. All. Fake. That's not to say an Ancient Egypt game isn't in developement. We fell for it because we wanted it to be true. So yeah it's all fake. 100% debunked. The video from today, the in-game menu was using the Deus Ex: Mankind Divided soundtrack.

the video and image are different leaks the video is obviously fake if you played deus ex

Hahs

I'm putting on blinders for this one too - staying clear of all the potential hype.

Leaks are unequivocally...bad IMHO, however the fact remains that I'm highly anticipating this title - just want a good AssCreed this time

going dark

Ancient Egypt is a rare setting in video games, so I'd like to see what Ubisoft will aim with Ancient Egypt in their next AC title

E-shop and crafting? Noooooooo.

Edit: ahh, looks like they may be placeholders. Fingers crossed.

Eh. For what it's worth, Syndicate had both of those. Crafting was Pretty basic and not an issue at all. Most people forget the E Store actually exists and has existed in the games since, I want to say 4, but Unity definitely had it.

DonShula

This is exactly why devs don't want to show these early builds to the public. Because they often reuse stuff like menus and assets for their new game in these internal tests.

People will see those pictures and read into it, just like you did.

Did I truly read into it that way? Or did I make a tongue-in-cheek comment based on the half-step iteration history of an unpolished franchise that doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt right now?

SillyJoe

Of all the things you could criticize Unity for, going at the graphics makes you look like a fool.
One of the best open world looking games around (reason why it ran like shit, too).

Yeah, except I'm not. The first screenshot is one from an 'alpha build' video when they first showed it off. What I'm highlighting is the fact that they misrepresented their game. This is a leak thread -- they haven't showed the game yet -- so what I'm 'eagerly awaiting' for is to see whether they pull the same stunt with the announcement footage of Empire. I'm focusing on that in its entirety -- nothing to do with the graphics of the released game.

UrbanRats

Yeah, except I'm not. The first screenshot is one from an 'alpha build' video when they first showed it off. What I'm highlighting is the fact that they misrepresented their game. This is a leak thread -- they haven't showed the game yet -- so what I'm 'eagerly awaiting' for is to see whether they pull the same stunt with the announcement footage of Empire. I'm focusing on that in its entirety -- nothing to do with the graphics of the released game.

They got massive backlash from Unity, probably the reason why they're taking their sweet time with this one, and with Syndicate they never really bullshotted the graphics (also because of Watch Dogs, i'm sure).
I wouldn't worry too much.
And if Unity is what we get after all is said and done, in terms of graphics, i'd consider myself lucky.

Xumbrega

Banned
A refined AC in Egypt with new features is probably one of my most hyped games this gen.

Take your time with this one, Ubi.

Toa TAK

Banned
Very excited. Just please don't drop the ball on this one.

Hopefully it won't be a ACIII or Unity situation where this is the game to make major design and mechanical changes... only for the sequel to improve and iron them out.

Why are people skimming past my comments? Is it cause I'm a junior lol? It's all fake. It just got debunked about an hour ago. Someone needs to update the thread title.

I have some issues with the screenshot. I can't vouch for the authenticity of the actual shot, but the historical accuracy is a bit lacking. I'm mostly talking about the obelisks surrounding the pyramid. The Egyptians didn't really use them like that. They were usually used at the entrances of temples for protection and some such. If the screenshots are real, I hope that, that's not an actual location in the game and is some kind of Animus screensaver or something.

Daft_Cat

Why are people skimming past my comments? Is it cause I'm a junior lol? It's all fake. It just got debunked about an hour ago. Someone needs to update the thread title.

Junior posts are automatically spoiler-tagged for anyone using GAF gold.

Edit:

If the screenshots are real, I hope that, that's not an actual location in the game and is some kind of Animus screensaver or something.

See?

Why are we assuming it's Ancient Egypt?

If the game is called Assassin's Creed: Empire, my first assumption would be that it's set predominantly in British Egypt in the late 19th or early 20th centuries. Considering the chronology seems to keep moving forwards and they've already done one Victorian period British setting, it seems fairly logical to me.

Same thought. To be honest I have been waiting for the series to catch up to present day. While it is fun to roam around different era's story wise it would be nice to advance it and leave other era's for spin offs untethered to main story.

UrbanRats

Same thought. To be honest I have been waiting for the series to catch up to present day. While it is fun to roam around different era's story wise it would be nice to advance it and leave other era's for spin offs untethered to main story.
What is even the point of ac in modern times?

Daft_Cat

See, to me, a game set exclusively in modern times would be the spin-off/one-off -- if anything.

I just can't see AC ever severing its ties to exploring historical settings. It's too much a part of its core identity. What would it even look like? Watchdogs ft. Parkour, Templars and Assassins? That's a bit too Dan Brownish for my tastes. Might as well throw in the Illuminati for good measure. I find that stuff easier to swallow when it's packaged alongside otherwise rich recreations of history.

xzeldax3

I've been interested in ancient Egypt since I was a kid, so I'm glad the rumors were true! Plus the benefit of having an extra year or so of development should make it look even better.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Lol no it doesn't, for any of Unitys faults, visually it was a huge accomplishment. And yea, if you're gonna try and critique visuals, don't use jpg screenshots that are below 720p uploaded to a site that compresses them even further. If anything, let's be more specific, you say they misrepresented their game? In what way? Is the lighting solution in that video different from the final game? No. Is the crowd unrepresentative of the crowds in the final game, nuh uh, are the materials better? Nope, be specific instead of posting disingenuous screenshots that look worse than the console versions.

EDIT: Concerning the bolded, you won't last long here with that kinda shit in your posts when confronted with facts. -__-

Can't really get excited for Egypt tbh. Wouldn't the city be like really flat and primitive? Doesn't seem too hot to climb in compared to the fantastic building we got to traverse on in earlier games.

Weird how many people think ancient cultures were "primitive" and architecture was limited. City life really hasn't changed all that much, and although buildings are certainly taller and populations denser these days, we still had pretty huge buildings and dense populations thousands of years ago. These guys built the pyramids after all.

They need to cut the shit and give us the AC Japan game fans deserve!

Ancient Egypt is 10x more appealing as location, especially given the themes of the series than Japan tbh. I think people just want to be Assassin Ninjas and run around Tokyo or Edo, or whatever the capital city would be called.

Besides I am all for a systematic open world around a city than just a city based AC game. The Black Flag team excel at building that kind of world.

Muffdraul

When I heard the Title it makes it sound Asian like china empire or japan empire not Egypt

Egyptian Empire goes back to like 1000 or 2000 BC. Supposedly they're going waaaaay back in this one because they want more freedom from the constraint of historical records. I guess not a whole lot is known about this period.

Menitta

They need to cut the shit and give us the AC Japan game fans deserve!

This. Even though Egypt is cool, Japan is so much cooler.

Also, there's barely any high production Feudal Japan games. There's Yakuza Kenzan (kinda Ishin too) which neither exist in the west, Samurai Warriors which is nothing like AC, and Way of the Samurai which is terrible. Hopefully Nioh is good.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
This. Even though Egypt is cool, Japan is so much cooler.

Also, there's barely any high production Feudal Japan games. There's Yakuza Kenzan (kinda Ishin too) which neither exist in the west, Samurai Warriors which is nothing like AC, and Way of the Samurai which is terrible. Hopefully Nioh is good.
Barely any high production games set in Ancient Egypt either, in terms of settings, games on the scale of AC set in historical settings are incredibly rare. Also really down for a black protagonist and really wanna see AC before it became AC, so like, templars and assassins before they became templars and assassins.

Jawmuncher

mpKZg.png

Squire

Banned
Could be very easily faked. Especially as they seem to be sticking with "Empire", while syndicate was originally leaked as "Victory".

Unity was the codename for Unity too though. I think they're willing to stick with the code name if it ends up fitting the game and sounds good in marketing materials.

When I heard the Title it makes it sound Asian like china empire or japan empire not Egypt

If its a Chinese game, it would be called Dynasty not Empire. Japan was never an empire.

BTW my theory about AC main game is that they only have 2 more games left before the history has progress to the game that it doesn't make sense to have call it a AC game in the modern setting. That's why they are taking the time.

IMO the next 2 games (assuming set later than Syndicate) should be post Civil War/Industrial Revolution United States and one last one set at a eve of WWI.

Top Bottom