• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey director 'surprised' at Alexios/Kassandra usage split

Who do you prefer?

• Alexois

Votes: 62 59.0%
  • Kassandra

Votes: 43 41.0%

• Total voters

Kadayi

Banned
I played ACO as Alexois because I preferred the voice actor. Which did you like the best, and are you surprised that two as many chose the male option?

Not played it, but I'm kind of surprised it's that close tbh. I remember that with Mass Effect people (rightly) bigged up Femshep due to Jennifer Hales quality voice acting, but statistically it was something like 90 to 10% Male to Femshep in terms of play, so a 3rd is a big step up.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm sure nobody is more surprised at that split than this guy.

mcz117chief

Not played it, but I'm kind of surprised it's that close tbh. I remember that with Mass Effect people (rightly) bigged up Femshep due to Jennifer Hales quality voice acting, but statistically it was something like 90 to 10% Male to Femshep in terms of play, so a 3rd is a big step up.
Honestly, Jennifer Hale's performance in Mass Effect is sleep inducing. She talks like a person who just got out of bed. It is quite unbearable. Which is a real shame because she does amazing work pretty much everywhere else.

Neverwas

I played as Kassandra. I didn't realize Alexios was the playable male character when I first came across him in the story. My god, is he awful. He's like the Greek version of Diamondback from Luke Cage, recording dialogue for a completely different (D-grade) production. Is he that awful as the main character as well? Or did he just abandon subtlety for the antagonist role?

Iaterain

tenor.gif

I picked Alexois, because he is more believable character that could kill a lot of enemies but I couldn't get into the game and dropped it after the second hour.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Honestly, Jennifer Hale's performance in Mass Effect is sleep inducing. She talks like a person who just got out of bed. It is quite unbearable. Which is a real shame because she does amazing work pretty much everywhere else.

Horses for courses I guess.

Nymphae

Banned
Not terribly surprising since I'd guess a majority of AC players are male and it's not like Kassandra is all dolled up so you can stare at a digital ass for 60+ hours.

Armorian

Banned
Alexios FTW

And I think:
Cassandra fits better as the "bad guy" (bad person? :p)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I played with Kassandra. Like Syndicate, the female turned out to be the better character and had the better voice actor. Just watching videos of Alexios being played, it was a hell no.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I played bits of it with both ( very annoying going over and over again)
And eventually decided to stick with Alexios.
The dialogue fitted his voice and mannerisms compared to Kassandras pretty flat performance.
There was parts which was meant to be funny and Alexios delivered them whereas Kassandra was like she was just reading the script with no emotion or reaction to the content of whtt was happening around her.
Evie, Élise and Aveline where better Characters

I like the Generic Action Hero voice and mannerisms of Alexios. He's fun.
I watched the first villain cutscene and he's better there too. Over the top without feeling as forced as the female.

Aenima

Not played it yet, but will pick Kassandra. I saw some cutscenes side by side and her acting looked a little better to me, also shes gorgeous to look at.

Nydus

Wow that's a lot of females picked. I don't know how many girls play AC but they are surely a minority. And some of those girls also will play as a male. Personally I often play as female. I'm a confident dude in RL so playing as a girl is a fun way to switch perspective / roleplay as something different from my norm.

Fox Mulder

Isn't this good?

Ubisoft was mocked for saying it was hard to make female AC characters a few years ago and now they have one that's well done and 1/3 of players chose. You can be gay, straight, man, or woman in the game, but I'm sure the usual crowd will still say Ubisoft are being cowards for not being bold enough to go female protagonist only or whatever.

Last edited:

Raven117

As a Greek male. I picked a Greek male.

Is reeeee outraged yet?
Yes. They already have a thread going.

As for me, I tried both in the early goings. Obviously the scripts are almost identical. There is no "better writing" or "different story arc" for either of them. They are the same character, one has a male voice the other a female voice. Maybe some folks like the inflection of one over annother. Thats fair. But its not like they are too radically different characters.

To me personally, while I loved Kassandra's voice actor, the lines felt more mannish, so I ended up with Alexio.

Last edited:

kunonabi

I typically pick female characters unless there are extensive romance options which this happened to have so I would have gone with Alexios if I had played the game.

Kassandra's voice actor was also kind of awful which turned me off from her anyway.

If you're ever played VR Chat, you will know why almost 1/3rd of men picked female (yes most players of this franchise are male). 90% of the avatars in vr chat are men and boys roleplaying animu girls.

Many men, including some of my friends like to role play as females when given the option. Don't ask me why. Maybe for the same reason that we would all be female for a day if given the choice, just to look at ourselves in the mirror.

Last edited:

Thiagosc777

I played as Kassandra. I didn't realize Alexios was the playable male character when I first came across him in the story. My god, is he awful. He's like the Greek version of Diamondback from Luke Cage, recording dialogue for a completely different (D-grade) production. Is he that awful as the main character as well? Or did he just abandon subtlety for the antagonist role?

The dialog options and animations are exactly the same between the two. One can't be better than the other, because they are just skins.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Interesting, but it goes to show most people who played this game are dudes who prefer playing as dudes. Shocking.

I will say though, I thought the voice actress for Kassandra was better than the much more generic-sounding Alexios. But that didn’t make me play her. Lol

Last edited:

Thiagosc777

I played with Kassandra. Like Syndicate, the female turned out to be the better character and had the better voice actor. Just watching videos of Alexios being played, it was a hell no.

Unlike Syndicate where there were two different characters, Alexios and Kassandra are just skins. They are the same character.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Interesting, but it goes to show most people who played this game are dudes who prefer playing as dudes. Shocking.

I will say though, I thought the voice actress for Kassandra was better than the much more generic-sounding Alexios. But that didn’t make me play her. Lol

wow that is some kinda tag dude lol

dottme

I haven’t played a lot for the moment, but I always pick the women option when I can. So I picked Kassandra.
It was ok for the small portion I played.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I haven't tried Alexios, but

after I met him in the game, I really didn't like his voice acting or his character. My assumption is if you chose Alexios, Kassandra would take his role and head of the cult.

Fbh

I'm currently playing this and went with Kassandra.

I was intending on playing as Alexios but after watching some clips of both I just found his voice actor really bad.

I like Kassandra. It's a bit weird how no one brings up her gender but aside from that I'm glad I chose her

Last edited:

Humdinger

It was actually 18% FemShep.

33% is an increase, but there was also a very strong push by both Ubisoft and SJW journalists to push Cassandra as the best choice. Also the fact that she was canon.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I played as Kassandra, but I was disappointed in how sanitized the female love making was. After Witcher 3 and Mass Effect Andromeda, I wanted to get STEAMY!!!!!!!!

Am I allowed to say that?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Yes. They already have a thread going.

As for me, I tried both in the early goings. Obviously the scripts are almost identical. There is no "better writing" or "different story arc" for either of them. They are the same character, one has a male voice the other a female voice. Maybe some folks like the inflection of one over annother. Thats fair. But its not like they are too radically different characters.

To me personally, while I loved Kassandra's voice actor, the lines felt more mannish, so I ended up with Alexio.
Just had a quick read of their thread, general opinion was they shouldn't have had an Option for Alexios 🙄

slade

Picked Alexios. With Tomb Raider and Darksiders 3 being my other two big end of the year games, I figured I'd pick the guy option in this one.

Aenima

Unlike Syndicate where there were two different characters, Alexios and Kassandra are just skins. They are the same character.
The motion capture seems to be diferent, i mean they doing the same moves and say the same lines, but is not the exact same animation. In the side by side cutscenes in this video you can see that.

Top Bottom