• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Origins October Previews

Alienous

Assassin's Creed 2
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
Assassin's Creed Syndicate
Assassin's Creed Revelations
Assassin's Creed
Assassin's Creed Unity
Assassin's Creed 3
Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation

I didn't play Black Flag though, so my opinion is worthless.

TheKeyPit

Banned
For me AC3 was one of my favorite AC games.

The series felt like it was getting stale to me and AC3 was a breath of fresh air. I absolutely LOVED the setting and the more rural areas. It gave us the best combat in the series (which still hasn't been done better in any of the AC games that followed, especially for fighting multiple enemies). It also gave us amazing naval areas/water physics that led to Black Flag.

Sure Conor wasn't as "interesting" as Ezio (who had three games to build up) but for me the gameplay trumped his shorcomings.
I like you.

I don't understand the hate against AC3, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I've played all the big ones except for Revelations and Rogue. And I personally rate them:

Assassins Creed 2
Assassins Creed Brotherhood
Assassins Creed 3
Assassins Creed
Syndicate
Unity
Black Flag.

I'm not a fan of pirates so that game was lost on me. Put about 20 hours into it, but never beat it. Actually I lost interest in that as well as Unity and Syndicate, couldn't bother to finish them, thought they were boring.

I'm super excited for Origins though.

Xando

3 was a decent game once you finished the awful first 3-4h.
2, brotherhood and Rogue are still the best ACs tho.

Anyway if Origins is good i’m probably gonna double dip once i buy a X (Probably not this year) and go with PS4Pro first.

lordkosc

AC3 had the fantastic Homestead region that you could build up, my favorite (improve your HQ) of all the games so far.

List:

Brotherhood
Revelations
Syndicate
4 Black Flag
Rogue
Unity
Liberation
Chronicles

Ezio trilogy was the pinnacle of AC for me.

Do we know if they are they doing meaningful modern day stuff again?

They have kind of avoiding it entirely so I dont know if it is still to take a back seat of if with Origins they are going to really bring that back to.

Non Animus stuff taking a backseat and that entire arch dying was one of the bigger reasons the franchise hit the skids imo. It was the glue that kept things together. Without it everything felt like a side story

If Origins is the big return to form game I hope the modern sci first stuff is a big part of it

Do we know if they are they doing meaningful modern day stuff again?

They have kind of avoiding it entirely so I dont know if it is still to take a back seat of if with Origins they are going to really bring that back to.

Non Animus stuff taking a backseat and that entire arch dying was one of the bigger reasons the franchise hit the skids imo. It was the glue that kept things together. Without it everything felt like a side story

If Origins is the big return to form game I hope the modern sci first stuff is a big part of it

It's back. We're just not sure if it's playable or not, I hope to god it is. And everything seems to be pointing towards it.

http://thecodex.network/another-evidence-of-the-present-day-segment/

UrbanRats

AC2
Brohood
Syndicate
Revelation
AC1
Unity
AC3

Best to worst, of those i've played.
Keep in mind that after Syndicate, there's a big drop off.

Also i hated the naval shit in AC3, so i don't care about Black Flag.

For anyone who puts AC2 over ACB I need an explanation.

Worse gameplay, but better story and better progression (with 2 major cities and multiple locations).
they're close for me, though.

samn

AC2 had way more variety in settings and a feeling of progression throughout the game

ACB introduced a load of boring busywork that I felt compelled to min-max and it added a panic button to kill everything on screen with arrows from nowhere.

sjay1994

I am pretty sure I have rose tinted glasses for 2 (which is why I was scared to buy the Ezio collection)

While Brotherhood is mechanically better and has better gameplay than 2 with the faster "I'm so cool as I instakill fools in a sequence" combat and it introduced the AC mp which was practically perfect until they started messing with in Revelations onwards, introducing the brotherhood, having the davinci vehicles missions...

something about Brotherhood felt off to me.

I think it was simply because Rome just didn't feel that interesting of a place. It felt one tone to me, and that was a severe downgrade coming from how different all the hub worlds in AC2 felt from each other.

Also the story in Brotherhood is eh.

My memories of 2 were much fonder as I was playing it during my winter break from high school, so it felt like this really cozy game for me to play. And I just remember a lot more of it, where as Brotherhood feels hazy to me (the SP, I fucking loved Brotherhood MP)

Multiple cities should be enough, but AC2 also has better story, missions and dat ending...
Brotherhood just felt like a filler to me that was too long for it's own good.
And the fact that it fucked AC2 ending by not making Ezio kill Rodrigo just to get another AC game within a year just hurts

ryseing

Ooh, are we doing lists?

Top tier
Black Flag
II

Great tier
Rogue
Syndicate
Brotherhood

Eh
Revelations

I actively despise these
Unity

2 set the framework plus I liked the multiple cities stuff.

Juan

Top tier
Black Flag
II

Great tier
Rogue
Syndicate
Brotherhood

Eh
Revelations

I actively despise these
Unity

Where is the first Assassin's Creed ?!

Actually, the first Assassin's Creed is still my favorite. The cities were incredible, the Parkour was excellent, the story was top notch, the ending twist was excellent, the mood was lovely, overall a great introduction to this univers!

Even if it may be repetitive at some point, it offered me the more variety and freedom in term of narrative and action I ever get from this serie. I could chose how I got informations from a target, instead of being a movie like game within a open world with strict goals.

I'm actually playing it right now on Xbox One for like the 4 or 5 time.

Personally, it would be:

- Assassin's Creed 1
- Assassin's Creed 2
- Assassin's Creed Revelations
- Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
- Assassin's Creed Rogue
- Assassin's Creed Black Flag
- Assassin's Creed Creed Unity
- Assassin's Creed Syndicate
- Assassin's Creed 3

Ascenion

ACB and ACR are just AC2 expansions in the vein of Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine. They shouldn’t have been full games, and honestly in the context of today’s industry I don’t think they would’ve. They don’t contribute enough to the series.

Sygma

Few things really bugging me way too much :

Terrain looks like shit

Shadows looks like shit

AI looks REALLY AWFUL especially in that hard gameplay video without hud

it was all good until that

q1dm4

Where is the first Assassin's Creed ?!

Actually, the first Assassin's Creed is still my favorite. The cities were incredible, the Parkour was excellent, the story was top notch, the ending twist was excellent, the mood was lovely, overall a great introduction to this univers!

Even if it may be repetitive at some point, it offered me the more variety and freedom in term of narrative and action I ever get from this serie. I could chose how I got informations from a target, instead of being a movie like game within a open world with strict goals.

I'm actually playing it right now on Xbox One for like the 4 or 5 time.

Personally, it would be:

- Assassin's Creed 1
- Assassin's Creed 2
- Assassin's Creed Revelations
- Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
- Assassin's Creed Rogue
- Assassin's Creed Black Flag
- Assassin's Creed Creed Unity
- Assassin's Creed Syndicate
- Assassin's Creed 3

i would put brotherhood above revelations but you're right on the money about 1 being the best

It's back. We're just not sure if it's playable or not, I hope to god it is. And everything seems to be pointing towards it.

http://thecodex.network/another-evidence-of-the-present-day-segment/
Oh snap, they might actually be doing it. If they actually nailed present day after all these years...

Ideally,
the same locations as in the past but now they’re ancient and guarded by Abstergo-controlled facilities. Desert area and the Abstergo soldier art seems to lean towards that.

2 is one of my favorite games of all time. Aside from that roof top racing mission everything was great about it imo.

Black Flag was just all out fun for me.

Didn't care for the first one much even though I love the setting.

3rd one was embarrassing and I've yet to try the other ones. Really excited about this game, though.

norm9

Hopping back and forth between Black Flag and Unity to prep for Origins. If only Black Flag had the weapon variety like the long spears and custom costumes like Unity, I'd probably drop Unity in a second.

Hoping the weapons are as fun in Origins.

emag

Rogue and Revelations are the best AC games, or at least on par with AC2 and Bro. Those of you skipping them because of a lack of promotion (or the entirely optional tower defense mini game) are doing yourself a disservice.

Rogue and Revelations are the best AC games, or at least on par with AC2 and Bro. Those of you skipping them because of a lack of promotion (or the entirely optional tower defense mini game) are doing yourself a disservice.

How's Rogue compared to Black Flag?

emag

How's Rogue compared to Black Flag?

Rogue does everything Black Flag does well while having far better missions (no ship trailing), bringing back actual cities/frontier and parkour, improving gameplay across the board, and telling a much stronger story.

It is a much shorter game, though. And the North Atlantic is less graphically appealing than the Caribbean.

Edit: Rogue is effectively a remix/recycling of AC3 and AC4, fusing the best parts (and characters) of each while fixing most of the shortcomings. It doesn't really move the series forward, but it's a fantastic send-off to the pre-Unity games.

I'm trying to play Syndicate again to get in the mood for Origins, and I just can't. The story and characters are like the dullest things ever, the city itself is as dull as the story, the combat is incredibly boring and repetitive (both visually and mechanically), the buildings are too tall and streets too wide to parkour for very long without an extended climb and the rope launcher just makes traversal tedious by removing the parkour entirely. And I get that AC loves to have you meet famous people from the era, but having you literally run into Charles Dickens and then introduce Bell so soon like that is just lazy

I don't get what people saw in this game that made it seem like a decent improvement over Unity. Evie is the best part of the game so far, but she's barely a character

Everything about Origins seems like a breath of fresh air in comparison after playing some Syndicate. Especially the combat

My rankings are not the usual.

1. Tie between Revelations and AC1. I'm a huge Altair fan and I just felt that the story in the two games was just way more intriguing than in any of the sequels. Top tier brotherhood system in Rev and bomb creating just hit all my buttons. The hook blade is also the best attachment in the entire series. Parachutes plus zip lines equal a great time. One was amazing for the awesome and bat shit bonkers targets you had to hunt down. I also love how arrogant Altair is and the way he looks down on his fellow assassins.

2. AC3. I really liked Connor as a character and felt he brought a unique perspective to the events of the Revolution. I also really loved the combat. Very visceral and the chain kills were amazing. Out was very easy to use three or four different weapons/tools in a chain assassination. I also thought the homestead missions were amazing. They really brought your HQ to life and have your mission a sense of purpose. I want more NPCs around your home base that you can grow to love and interact with.

3. Black Flag. It was a true adventure and the ship combat was so good. I love the variety in side missions and the ship minigame was cool.

4. Syndicate. Jolly good romp through London. Huge step up from Unity.

5. Brotherhood. Loved the kill streak introduction and throwing stolen weapons at fleeing enemies. Brotherhood system really needs to return. I think Rev did everything Brotherhood did, but way better.

6. Unity. Beautiful game and I loved the outfit customization. Crowd sizes were awe inspiring. Too bad about the awful combat and pop in issues.

7. ACII. I didn't like Ezio as a character in this one and I didn't feel connected to the targets. I love the three cities and the dye options, but felt the missions were mostly generic. This was the generic open world game of the bunch.

8. Rogue. Shay bored me and I preferred the location of Black Flag.

Brotherhood
Revelations
Syndicate
4:Black Flag

Wasn’t a fan of post 3 creeds as it floundered with the overarching story plus it had gotten very so so by then and milked to death.

Brotherhood
Revelations
Syndicate
4:Black Flag

Wasn’t a fan of post 3 creeds as it floundered with the overarching story plus it had gotten very so so by then and milked to death.
Honestly the floundering of the overarching story started back in Brotherhood with the whole Kristen Bell is a templar k, then it got completely destroyed and jetisoned in 3 and the following games barely have any overarching story.

Between Black Flag, Unity and Syndicate I don't think the overarching story moved an inch. I guess Juno talks to you ominously in Syndicate. Creepy.

That's why I wouldn't be opposed to them burning it all down and starting fresh with the overall story.

Honestly the floundering of the overarching story started back in Brotherhood with the whole Kristen Bell is a templar k, then it got completely destroyed and jetisoned in 3 and the following games barely have any overarching story.

Between Black Flag, Unity and Syndicate I don't think the overarching story moved an inch. I guess Juno talks to you ominously in Syndicate. Creepy.

That's why I wouldn't be opposed to them burning it all down and starting fresh with the overall story.
Definitely did start in brotherhood, but at least it still moved forward. Like you noted once Black flag came around it went absolutely nowhere:/

Brotherhood
Chronicles trilogy

are my favorites. The rest either feel too samey or too mediocre

But I do like the settings in all the games. That’s the one area where the series has always excelled

You and I are now friends :)

Its sad how so many shit on 3. Conner is awesome. Game is a great slow burn with one of the best settings in the franchise

We're scoring each game? I'll go with:

AC2 - 9/10
AC Brotherhood - 8/10
AC Rogue - 7/10
AC4 - 7/10
AC Liberation - 6/10
AC1 - 6/10
AC Revelations - 6/10
AC3 - 4/10

AC2 was the GOAT AC game, while Brotherhood was a great follow-up a year later (though the Lucy). Everything else was decent, except for AC3, which was a glitchy mess, had terrible mission design, garbage characters and a ME3-like ending to Desmond's story after so many games.

I'm still surprised how mucha lot of people love AC4. Sure, the naval combat was fun and it was a huge improvement on AC3 but the mission design was the same old, awful shit, the characters and story were completely forgettable and the collectables scattered over the map were worse than ever.

I actually enjoyed Rogue more, though not enough to put it an entire point above it, because the map was smaller and it felt like there was a lot less filler.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
AC2
AC:B
AC:R
AC1
AC:U
AC3
AC4

I stopped at Unity, I'm interested in this one, hope it turns out great.

Theorry

Good way to kill a alot higher level boss. Set a trap, alarm them and then boom.

UnrealisticBrightDugong-max-14mb.gif

pitchfork

Good way to kill a alot higher level boss. Set a trap, alarm them and then boom.

UnrealisticBrightDugong-max-14mb.gif

Nice!

Trying to catch up on some of the videos released over the past few days, I see we can use wildlife as bait. Wonder if we can lure enemies to nearby water spots straight into the jaws of a croc?

Assassin's Creed II
Assassin's Creed I
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
Assassin's Creed III
Assassin's Creed: Revelations

Didn't play the rest but I am mildly optimistic for Origins. Although I am not sure how I will make time to play it, in between Divinity: Original Sin 2, The Evil Within, Wolfenstein, ELEX and Cuphead.

ta155

1. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
2. Assassin's Creed II
3. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
4. Assassin's Creed
5. Assassin's Creed: Syndicate
6. Assassin's Creed III
7. Assassin's Creed: Revelations
8. Assassin's Creed: Unity

UrbanRats

I'm trying to play Syndicate again to get in the mood for Origins, and I just can't. The story and characters are like the dullest things ever, the city itself is as dull as the story, the combat is incredibly boring and repetitive (both visually and mechanically), the buildings are too tall and streets too wide to parkour for very long without an extended climb and the rope launcher just makes traversal tedious by removing the parkour entirely. And I get that AC loves to have you meet famous people from the era, but having you literally run into Charles Dickens and then introduce Bell so soon like that is just lazy

I don't get what people saw in this game that made it seem like a decent improvement over Unity. Evie is the best part of the game so far, but she's barely a character

Everything about Origins seems like a breath of fresh air in comparison after playing some Syndicate. Especially the combat
Stealth is the best its ever been.
Open mission design, too.
Thames is of one of the coolest areas in the franchise to play in (especially if you dont just jump in the water and swim).

Its good where it matters, id say.
It does feel lower budget than other entries, but so did Brohood, Revelation and Rogue.

Menitta

Of the ones I played,

Syndicate
Brotherhood
Black Flag
Rogue
Unity

I like a lot of what Syndicate does. Grimy Victorian Era London is perfect for AC. The combat is brutal and it's got wall combos. Evie and Jacob are two of the best Assassins in the series. Origins looks freakin amazing and I really hope it delivers.

Indeed. I think Brotherhood took everything AC2 did and did better. It also added new mechanics like the brotherhood and improved combat. It does have a "expansion rather than a sequel" feeling though.

I also think Brotherhood has one of the best openings in gaming (and by opening I mean the first 2 hours or so), particularly in open world games. It's very well crafted, well paced and effortless introduces you to the many aspects of the game without feeling overwhelemed. Then 2 years later AC3 has one of the worst openings.

Inviusx

Top tier:
AC Brotherhood
AC Revelations

Great tier:
AC II

Good tier:
AC Blackflag
AC Unity
AC

Meh tier:
AC III