• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Revelations DLC "Lost Archive"

New link to video if people are interested...
http://dai.ly/zh55Q6

What the fuck!? Seriously? One of the main gripes with ACR were the alternate reality missions and how they just seemed really out of place. So what does Ubisoft do??? They say, "hey, lets give them even more of the stuff they really didn't like and charge them for it."
Just goes to show you that all this shit was probably already done before the game was released and they just held back on releasing it. This is bullshit and makes me worried for future games in the franchise.

FUUUCK, I had a sick gut feeling it was going to be this shit, and to charge $15 for this shit is a joke. I'd jump on it at $4.99 TOPS

Roto13

It's hilarious that the first (and probably only) single player DLC is just more of the worst thing about the game.

Alec

Why is no one talking about this? Some of the story-progression in this DLC is huge.

I'm going to spoil the entire thing:

Clay (Subject 16) grew up as an engineer, highly intelligent with computers and electronics, with parents that did not know how to properly express their love for him. This resulted in him becoming depressed and taking therapy sessions in which the doctor attempted to take advantage of Clay's lack of self-esteem by squeezing more money out of him. During the course of these sessions, William Miles located Clay and inducted him as an assassin. Clay's doctor noticed a drastic change in Clay's demeanor; he was confident and acted as if he had a purpose. Eventually Clay became suspicious of the doctor's intentions after the doctor wouldn't share his notes, which revealed that he was only trying to milk him out of more money. Clay stole the notes and presumably did not return.

Sometime later, William tasks Clay to sneak into Abstergo to find out more about the Animus and what they are trying to find. Clay discovers that they are searching the assassin's memories, but doesn't know why. Clay escapes and reports his findings to William, who says that they must infiltrate even deeper. William asks Clay to become Subject 16 to learn more information. He tells Clay about Lucy, an assassin who was not raised inside the Order and was kept away from everyone so that she would be an 'unknown' secret. Lucy works for Abstergo and is close to the Animus project. Once Clay has discovered what Abstergo is looking for, Lucy will be able to break them both out.

Clay is voluntarily captured and begins working with Warren Vidic and the Animus. He explores the memories of Ezio Auditore but is unable to find what Abstergo wants. One night after an Animus session, Clay breaks out of his room and overhears Vidic talking about how they want to take an Apple of Eden and amplify it's mind-control abilities through use of a satellite pointed at the Earth to create their 'utopia'.

Finally having found what he volunteered for, he brought the information to Lucy so that they could make their escape. During Abstergo's research on Ezio and Clay, they discovered the link to Desmond whom they though they'd have more success with in finding the Pieces of Eden. In a letter to Clay, Lucy states that she had hoped to have more time with Clay in order to 'bring him to her side' and that William can never know what Clay has discovered. Her true allegiance has been with Abstergo the entire time, due to her ill-will towards the Order for always keeping her away from them. Abstergo was more of a family to her than the Order ever was, and she truly believed that they were trying to help people. Lucy did work to keep Clay safe, but not at the cost of Abstergo. No escape was ever planned, no rescue ever came.

It is also revealed that Vidic and Lucy had accounted for Desmond being unwilling to explore his ancestor's deepest memories for Abstergo, so they devised a plan in which Desmond would become comfortable enough to tell them anything. Vidic planned for Lucy to trick Desmond into thinking she was on the Order's side by allowing him access outside of his room every night so that he could read their e-mails, which were all part of the act. She built a relationship with him throughout this entire process to make it more believable when they were purposefully allowed to escape Abstergo by Vidic. Abstergo realized that in order to find out what they needed from Desmond, they would also have to allow the Order to find it out as well. A similar plan may have been in the works for Clay himself, had he not found out the truth.

Clay is sent back into the Animus for long periods of time and starts experiencing The Bleeding Effect. Minerva speaks to Clay through the Animus and asks him to help Desmond Miles. He replies "I will." With Lucy being a traitor and his usefulness to Abstergo coming to end, he uploads a copy of his DNA and memories as an AI and hides messages in the form of glyphs throughout the Animus. He then kills himself by draining his blood and using it to leave the messages that Desmond sees in AC1.

bubnbob

Banned
^ Eh... sounds like a quick edit to a big oopsie left after
Lucy's stabbing
, and something most people already assumed

Thanks for the recap though.

Alec

The whole thing actually makes me feel bad for Clay, which is something I thought they did a terrible job with in the campaign.

I don't mind the first-person puzzle gameplay, either.

Alec

Is that really what happens? Wow, glad I had no desire to get this. Seems like a poor excuse to answer some questions without really drawing attention to them. It's going to be interesting to see what ubi does with the story in the next game.

Well, Desmond still doesn't know any of that stuff...but given the tone of some of William's e-mails regarding "security concerns" in Brotherhood, it sounds like everyone else may know.

We definitely have to get some sort of reaction from Desmond about all of this in ACIII.

Any new achievements?

Yes: http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?p=4918072

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I picked it up on Steam. I didn't super enjoy the Desmond content, but it was at least ridiculously pretty and this looks even better judging by the screens. Ubi really does have some incredible artists.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Ok, grrr...I noticed that the DLC on Steam lists a new Assassins Tomb included as well Vlad the Impaler's something. I may be in the minority that REALLY enjoys those scripted, yet linear Prince of Persia-esque sequences, but more Desmond first-person puzzles is keeping me at bay.

Argh. Gonna just pass and get SSX.

Alec

Does Desmond directly experience all of this in the DLC (and thus learn all of that) or are you playing as 16?

It is heavily implied that you are playing as Clay (Subject 16 [or rather, his AI]). Yor hear his voice everywhere you go, whereas in the Desmond sequences, you were hearing Desmond's voice.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Ok, grrr...I noticed that the DLC on Steam lists a new Assassins Tomb included as well Vlad the Impaler's something. I may be in the minority that REALLY enjoys those scripted, yet linear Prince of Persia-esque sequences, but more Desmond first-person puzzles is keeping me at bay.

Nah, everyone loves the Prince of Persia-esque tombs. I heard the Vlad the Impaler one was kinda short, but I'm still happy they tossed it in as well. If only they had done the same for the Copernicus DLC in Brotherhood.

Completely forgot it was coming out. Will have to DL it after work. Is it stand-alone or do you need the Revelations disc?

And I read that plot summary.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu- at the twists.

Going by the spoiler I'm going to assume that a rushed production schedule kept that from being in the game because it's pretty crucial to the main plot. I'm guessing AC3 will have an obnoxious exposition dump right at the beginning.

Sectus

Thanks for the plot summary. After discovering this is more of the first person animus stuff, I have no interest in buying it.

I really don't like the way they handle the stuff with Lucy.
It seems pretty obvious they weren't sure how to handle the end of Kristen Bell's contract, so they decided to kill her off and add ambiguous hints in the game (Brotherhood) that she might have been still working for Abstergo. The original plan must have been that Brotherhood would be AC3 with a conclusion to the current storyline.

I think they should have just had her be a good guy but be killed by Abstergo or something in Brotherhood. Considering the events of AC1 and 2, it makes extremely little sense for her to be a bad guy.

ultron87

Why the hell would Lucy
bust Desmond out of Abstergo and bring him to the actual Assassins if she was a traitor the entire time? It isn't like you couldn't fool Desmond just by having some Abstergo dudes go "yep, we're the assassins. No, there is no reason our Animus looks exactly like the Abstergo one. We stole it. Yes. . . get in the chair!"

Woah I loved the first person stuff but it seems downright insane to have DLC for a Assassins Creed game which has none of the actual Assassins Creed gameplay fans play the game for. I would laugh if they ever released a den defence DLC.

I will probably Youtube this. I loved the first person stuff, but just not enough to justify money changing hands.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I can't figure out how to start the DLC. It seems like it isn't activated or something. Like the one Vlad the Impaler mission isn't showing up in my DNA sequence and Animus Island doesn't seem to have a way to start the subject 16 stuff.

Sai

Heh. I read the spoiler summary, since I won't be able to play it anytime soon.

I guess Desmond's Eagle Vision still needed some work... ;p

Watch them try to play off the mistake they made with the red footprints at Monteriggioni as some kind of clever hint about Lucy's allegiance.

Like the one Vlad the Impaler mission isn't showing up in my DNA sequence..
If I remember correctly, you have to check out a book at Sofia's library to trigger the Vlad the Impaler mission.

I think I just noticed it by chance, don't recall it showing up on the map.

iNvid02

reinstalling windows, shit is hard work
KuGsj.gif

gonna take a break and watch this, somebody must have finished it on youtube by now

Dany

Banned
Why the hell would Lucy
bust Desmond out of Abstergo and bring him to the actual Assassins if she was a traitor the entire time? It isn't like you couldn't fool Desmond just by having some Abstergo dudes go "yep, we're the assassins. No, there is no reason our Animus looks exactly like the Abstergo one. We stole it. Yes. . . get in the chair!"

she is a double agent working for abstergo, it was her cover that she would work with the assassins. That is why in brotherhood in the later missions, she would leave. IF you walked outside the villa and turned on eagle vision, you would see red foot prints leading towards sewers and grates.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
If I remember correctly, you have to check out a book at Sofia's library to trigger the Vlad the Impaler mission.

I think I just noticed it by chance, don't recall it showing up on the map.

Thanks for the heads up.

Just checked, yeah I don't think the DLC is activated on PC yet.

ultron87

she is a double agent working for abstergo, it was her cover that she would work with the assassins. That is why in brotherhood in the later missions, she would leave. IF you walked outside the villa and turned on eagle vision, you would see red foot prints leading towards sewers and grates.

Yeah, I get that.

It is just that if
she was literally always a double agent bringing Desmond to actual assassins is the STUPIDEST PLAN EVER. He doesn't know any other Assassins and he only trusts Sean and... girl's name because Lucy tells him that they are Assassins.

If she brought him to Abstergo guys pretending to be Assassins he wouldn't know the difference, they'd still find out all the crap his ancestors know (because it isn't like they don't have an animus), and the Assassins wouldn't find out anything. And there'd be pretty much no chance of the Assassins or Desmond figuring out Lucy was a traitor.

Yeah, I get that.

It is just that if
she was literally always a double agent bringing Desmond to actual assassins is the STUPIDEST PLAN EVER. He doesn't know any other Assassins and he only trusts Sean and... girl's name because Lucy tells him that they are Assassins.

If she brought him to Abstergo guys pretending to be Assassins he wouldn't know the difference, they'd still find out all the crap his ancestors know (because it isn't like they don't have an animus), and the Assassins wouldn't find out anything. And there'd be pretty much no chance of the Assassins or Desmond figuring out Lucy was a traitor.

Yeah, the whole "plan" seems more like a huge Xanatos Roulette, since it assumes that: 1) Desmond wouldn't just run away again or refuse to use the Animus. 2) The assassins wouldn't find out about the double agent. 3) The double agent, who has switched sides before, wouldn't have a change of heart after going back (Especially after her indirect involvement 16's death). 4) The double agent would be able to easily contact Abstergo and file an accurate report without arousing suspicions (Keep in mind, this is after the incidents involving Daniel Cross and Subject 16, so you'd think that the assassins would be wary of anyone who has been in direct contact with Abstergo).

Alec

Yeah, I get that.

It is just that if

Since Desmond is William's son, it's safe to assume that they were keeping tabs on him after he ran away from home up until he got kidnapped by Abstergo.

To try and pull something like that over on Desmond, with Lucy directly involved, could potentially blow her cover with the assassins. Plus...Eagle Vision (which at this point seems a little flawed). It's just easier to let them escape and then have Lucy steal the Piece of Eden later. Staging a fake escape does leave open holes for the assassins to exploit...but letting them think they have the upper hand could be advantageous.

In general, it seems as if Abstergo doesn't feel threatened by the assassins and sees them more as a minor nuisance.

Possible Traitor References:
In ACII, Subject 16 says "She is not who you think she is."
In ACB, the red footsteps could possible belong to her. Possibly Shawn, as well.
In ACB, an e-mail from William to Desmond tells Desmond to not share certain information with Lucy or Shawn, or else it could compromise their security.
In ACR, Shawn is the only one who attended Lucy's funeral.

I think the assassins (William, at least) knew about Lucy, and possibly Shawn, and wanted Abstergo to think that they didn't, so they allowed it all to continue.

Sectus

Just to clarify, the
markings on the ground in Brotherhood has been confirmed by the development team to have been added there to make it easier for people to find the way back to the safehouse, it's not there for any story reason.

Yeah, I get that.

It is just that if

But she was probably always eyed by the assassins. An escape was planned so she had to keep up the act. If she took Des to fake assassins and ducked under the radar, the real assassins would have said "shit got real" and sent in an army

Sectus

But she was probably always eyed by the assassins. An escape was planned so she had to keep up the act. If she took Des to fake assassins and ducked under the radar, the real assassins would have said "shit got real" and sent in an army
When did they have an army? All the games have been hinting that the assassins are fighting a losing war and they aren't even close to the number of people abstergo has.

Wait, this DLC really is just that weird
Portal-esque
stuff again?
Yup :/

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Just to clarify, the
markings on the ground in Brotherhood has been confirmed by the development team to have been added there to make it easier for people to find the way back to the safehouse, it's not there for any story reason.

Yep, it is an error they forgot to fix iirc.

Zomba13

Since Desmond is William's son, it's safe to assume that they were keeping tabs on him after he ran away from home up until he got kidnapped by Abstergo.

To try and pull something like that over on Desmond, with Lucy directly involved, could potentially blow her cover with the assassins. Plus...Eagle Vision (which at this point seems a little flawed). It's just easier to let them escape and then have Lucy steal the Piece of Eden later. Staging a fake escape does leave open holes for the assassins to exploit...but letting them think they have the upper hand could be advantageous.

In general, it seems as if Abstergo doesn't feel threatened by the assassins and sees them more as a minor nuisance.

Possible Traitor References:
In ACII, Subject 16 says "She is not who you think she is."
In ACB, the red footsteps could possible belong to her. Possibly Shawn, as well.
In ACB, an e-mail from William to Desmond tells Desmond to not share certain information with Lucy or Shawn, or else it could compromise their security.
In ACR, Shawn is the only one who attended Lucy's funeral.

I think the assassins (William, at least) knew about Lucy, and possibly Shawn, and wanted Abstergo to think that they didn't, so they allowed it all to continue.

She also had that
Abstergo pen thingie that started to blink randomly and then was gone when she was gone. I always assumed that was like, an abstergo tracking/monitoring/communication device/

Dysun

I couldn't even finish those terrible missions that were included on the disc. Disappointed that this DLC is more of that crap.

Thanks for the spoilers though, that should suffice

iNvid02

just watched it and it looked great, shame they had to bury these revelations (which are for some silly reason bigger than what the game itself offers) underneath that puzzle crap gameplay which im not a fan of

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Good summary, RecoveryDisc.

Just youtubed it. I'll echo the sentiment that it's a shame this story content wasn't in the game to begin with and that they decided to relegate it to a DLC with the weakest part of Revelations gameplay-wise (cool visuals though). The main game was really lacking in information about
Subject 16 and Lucy
, both of which I thought would be focal points in the modern sections before the release. At least as far as "revelations" go.

There's a mention
about a portable Animus being possible in the future in that Abstergo memo
. Could lead the series to interesting places.

Top Bottom