• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity Gamescom Demo

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Gorgeous. The game doesn't look too far off from that early leaked image from last year.

unity_leak.jpg
I remember when everyone said that this would be downgraded based off of the first trailer showing the crowds, interiors and main character. He's not wearing a hood in that picture.

Crossing Eden

It was? Hmmm. That's a good fake.

Also, is it true you can remove all HUD elements? I used to play AC1 without the HUD and used tall buildings to find my path. Was hard but really fun.
Yes it's true. One video in the OP has the hud, the other doesn't.

cackhyena

Looks like a bad concept art to me, and nothing like what we've seen in AC:U so far (character hood-less, buildings, lighting, crowd...)
Yep, concept art. Someone tried to say months ago on gaf that that might be a game play screen. I'm like, are you joking?

Crossing Eden

Looks like a bad concept art to me, and nothing like what we've seen in AC:U so far (character hood-less, buildings, lighting, crowd...)
So it's either fake or really really old gameplay.

At the 2:17 mark in the Italian vid. GOOD LORD YES!!! Looking at the objectives...NONE. Just "explore the area", looks like its the players CHOICE to find out where all the entrances are, unique assassination spots. Fuck yeah! FINALLY!!

Only thing that really worries me after watching the rest of that video (I know its still a bit till release) but there were quite a few glitches. Such as NPCs getting stuck or popping up and down. Arno walking down that set of stairs had him going a little wonky. And a big artifact problem during the transition to the underground area. With this being the first AC game developed with the new tech, we could have another AC3 on our hands. Technically speaking to the "glitchiness" upon release.

Hoping they work these bugs out.

DMiz

Old gameplay looks more like this.

I love it when we get to see images like this, to be honest. Having dabbled with game development before, it's hilarious when you keep around old builds and get to show them to friends to mark the improvement.

Moments like the screenshots shown above often have you repeating to yourself, "When I put that in, it'll...". Be it AI, music, animation, what-have-you. Code matters first. Beauty will come later.

And then you have the time to put all that content into the game, and the transformation is amazing.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Only thing that really worries me after watching the rest of that video (I know its still a bit till release) but there were quite a few glitches. Such as NPCs getting stuck or popping up and down. Arno walking down that set of stairs had him going a little wonky. And a big artifact problem during the transition to the underground area. With this being the first AC game developed with the new tech, we could have another AC3 on our hands. Technically speaking to the "glitchiness" upon release.

Hoping they work these bugs out.

yeah, I noticed that too. hopefully they'll clean that stuff up over the next month.

dcx4610

I really wish they could let you turn off the atmosphere breaking visuals like characters glowing a certain color.

It kinda work you were Desmond since you were merely controlling characters through the Animus but this seems like a fresh start and it ruins the experience.

I really wish they could let you turn off the atmosphere breaking visuals like characters glowing a certain color.

It kinda work you were Desmond since you were merely controlling characters through the Animus but this seems like a fresh start and it ruins the experience.

But that's what Far Cry 3 does.......so Ubi can't change it. lol.

I don't know why, but the way the X-button prompt popped up cracks me up.

Yeah, they did that a couple times in AC3. Strange.

Well, I wasn't interested before but now I am.

All aboard the Hype train, this looks like a nice mix between what I loved about AC1 and 2.

I lost interest in AC after Brotherhood. Unity seems to be bringing back my excitement for the IP, I think I might play ACBF to get brought up to speed for this.

DMiz

I lost interest in AC after Brotherhood. Unity seems to be bringing back my excitement for the IP, I think I might play ACBF to get brought up to speed for this.

It's interesting that you mention Black Flag considering that Unity seems to be the project moving away from its direction, while Rogue is the one moving closer.

That said, I should probably get about finishing my own play-through of that game... the collect-athon eventually killed the experience for me but it was a good ride while it lasted.

zkorejo

Love the gameplay. It all looks very fresh for a AC game. Its like Hitman or Dishonored type missions.

Why the hell did they went for the worst looking HUD for such a beautiful game. Also.. couldn't the "mini" map be a bit more bigger? :/ .. and get rid of the circle or atleast please give us a choice to disable it in the game.

dex3108

That twitch video didn't show us important parts in my opinion. Italian video showed that missions can be finished in different ways and i like it :D

valkyre

Yet another FUGLY HUD from Ubisoft...

Pls God tell me that you will be able to completely disable that horrible horrible constant on screen progress tracker.....

That stupid thing was not possible to get rid of in ACIV:BF . It constantly stayed there, on top of your screen , telling you to "Reach the beach" or "Kill the target" even though you had a realtime marker on your screen telling you the distance from your next objective.

But no, there has to be a progress tracker on screen reminding you what to do. And you can't disable it. Ugly ugly ugly...

I see the progress tracker is here again in full ridiculous force as well "Kill the target"... no shit Sherlock!

I only hope that this time I can get rid of that crap from my screen, since I am pretty sure an onscreen marker with distance is pretty much all I need. What do you say Ubisoft?

Carbonox

Oh no no no sir. It's much more complex than just changing the hood.
cQG5yAS.jpg

OH BABY

my hype cannot be contained

I also hope they have a bonus unlock of previous assassin uniforms. I still maintain that Connor's Assassin garb is the best of them all. It's fucking badass in a brute/regal kind of way. I would rock that shit so hard in Unity.

Crossing Eden

Yet another FUGLY HUD from Ubisoft...

Pls God tell me that you will be able to completely disable that horrible horrible constant on screen progress tracker.....

That stupid thing was not possible to get rid of in ACIV:BF . It constantly stayed there, on top of your screen , telling you to "Reach the beach" or "Kill the target" even though you had a realtime marker on your screen telling you the distance from your next objective.

But no, there has to be a progress tracker on screen reminding you what to do. And you can't disable it. Ugly ugly ugly...

I see the progress tracker is here again in full ridiculous force as well "Kill the target"... no shit Sherlock!

I only hope that this time I can get rid of that crap from my screen, since I am pretty sure an onscreen marker with distance is pretty much all I need. What do you say Ubisoft?
How many times do I have to say "yes you can disable the hud." I've said it like five times in this thread.

fedexpeon

Banned
Looks pretty good tbh.

The one thing I love about Ubisoft games is value of their game will drop from $60 to 30 in a few months.
I can't wait to play it then.

valkyre

How many times do I have to say "yes you can disable the hud." I've said it like five times in this thread.

You've said it like five times and I really hope that you are right and that you can disable the hud, i really do, but the thing is that the progress tracker was not possible to remove in ACIV and in Watchdogs you cannot remove the useless battery icon.

My point is that Ubisoft usually has the tendency to keep ui elements on screen even if you disable the "entire" UI.

It's listed on the PS store as 720p :(

As for that, do we have any official response in regards to the resolution?

I find it ironic that ubisoft stated that they target 1080p/60 fps only a few months ago and now we are debating a 720p resolution... How fail is this?

You've said it like five times and I really hope that you are right and that you can disable the hud, i really do, but the thing is that the progress tracker was not possible to remove in ACIV and in Watchdogs you cannot remove the useless battery icon.

My point is that Ubisoft usually has the tendency to keep ui elements on screen even if you disable the "entire" UI.

I find it ironic that ubisoft stated that they target 1080p/60 fps only a few months ago and now we are debating a 720p resolution... How fail is this?

720p would be a pretty massive fail...

fedexpeon

Banned

Welp, nevermind about my comment about buying the game.
Eww...720 with a x86 architecture, and after a year with working with the new consoles?

Crossing Eden

720p would be a pretty massive fail...
Eww...720 with a x86 architecture, and after a year with working with the new consoles?
You three are jumping to conclusions. Stores/advertisements have been wrong before.
watch_dogs_60fps.jpg

And the game looks great regardless.

omonimo

Banned
Also I don't know if it's thread worthy but a senior producer in a french interview answered a question about the 1080@60fps "standard" on consoles.

Do not expect 1080p or 60fps on PS4 or XBO

I feel like the 1080p answer is less definitive than the 60fps one, and now that they have a deal/partnership with Microsoft, maybe it leveled down the standard ?

Link
A month earlier: Unity runs 1080p in a pc with the same spec of xbone. They are without shame. Incredible, after the mess of WD they continue again with the same bullshit.Worst PR in the game history.

valkyre

You three are jumping to conclusions. Stores/advertisements have been wrong before.
watch_dogs_60fps.jpg

And the game looks great regardless.

I dont either of these posts are presented as conclusions, more like wondering what is going on with resolution, especially considering the bold statement of 1080p/60 fps target by ubisoft.

omonimo

Banned
Probably we will see the same res of WD. 720p seems a bit too much. But Jeez their engine are really something of wrong for the new console .

What are you saying, then? That sub-900p will be the norm on Xbox multiplats?

He's probably saying that when an console exclusive game is made (be it PS4 or XB1) it's a shit ton easier to hit 1080p because you are working with a single, locked, set of hardware that can be mined for performance improvements.

That is not the case when you're working across three different platforms, each with their own unique set of challenges. Then it suddenly becomes super duper hard to pull off a stunt like that.

We've been super lucky so far with 1080/60 because almost all games have been cross-gen ports, and therefore the added power in the current gen allows developers to reach that level.

That is going to change when the Xbox 360 is no longer the minimum spec, but the XB1 is instead. Then developers will be pushing the hardware in new ways, and framerate/resolution will be the victim of that. It's exactly the same way as with the last generation. With the exception being first party /exclusive stuff where the approach is different.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
If you get detected, it isn't instant fail and will turn into a chase.

I'm curious as to how this will affect completion figures. I won't be shocked if completing such missions as intended will be necessary for 100%.

Toski

I'm curious as to how this will affect completion figures. I won't be shocked if completing such missions as intended will be necessary for 100%.

I'm starting to wonder if there aren't 100% requirements. It may be that the player can kill the target any time, but unless they do the investigations, they won't get the "canon" experience. Looking at the video, you could kill the target before he got in the
Confessional
but killing him there gave you the full experience.

zkorejo

I'm starting to wonder if there aren't 100% requirements. It may be that the player can kill the target any time, but unless they do the investigations, they won't get the "canon" experience. Looking at the video, you could kill the target before he got in the
Confessional
but killing him there gave you the full experience.

Kind of like Dishonored/Hitman.

It would be better if they list those objectives in the pause menu like dishonored too.

Top Bottom