• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity Gamescom Demo

iNvid02

hopefully haystacks are limited with the new descent system, it was weird seeing the first haystack in unity inside a church.

SJRB

Gold Member
I am so hyped for this game. Super awesome how they've handled it, it's a complete 180 from Black Flag and it's [finally] back to the spirit of the first AC.

Really, REALLY glad about Unity. Whoever at Ubisoft made this decision is a legend.

fernoca

So excited! After been letdown by III and IV and their focus on sailing, going back to explore around Europe and all the huge buildings. Can't wait!

Kinyou

Seems ultra silly that there are haystacks in the cathedral and that none of the bystanders noticed you stabbing someone from the haystack nearly 2 feet away.

Was hoping this type of thing would be cleaned up for "next gen".
There's also another cart and some flags lying around. Seems to me like there was a battle and those were part of a barricade

Hamlet

Looks mighty impressive especially in comparison to AC4 , the improved facial animations and character models looks so good now
Hud is still cluttered as usual from Ubisoft and the mini map is a tad too large at the moment, hopefully its not that big in the final game

BouncyFrag

Looks good. I hope we get an Easter egg poking some fun at the Witcher series as I thought of the AC joke in The Witcher 2 when I saw that straw wagon inside the church.

woen

It seemed to run at 1080p though. That would be a shame if the final build wouldn't on any consoles.
That's the textbook definition of false advertising Ubisoft get so easily away with.

As long as they don't butcher the PC version graphics wise that's fine by me.

A level designer said in an interview/in the behind close door they were targeting that, they didn't say "Ok guys we can announce it in a press release : ACU will be rock solid 60fps and 1080p on every console". That's not false advertising. You can blame only you if you thought it was a definitive answer.

SJRB

Gold Member
This demo is surprisingly rough, from a technical standpoint. The pop-in at the 2nd minute when he walks through the crowd is insane. Also several moments where lighting and/or god rays would just glitch out. Strange clipping and NPC animations everywhere and some weird pathfinding quirks during parkour.

Anyone that really thought this game was going to be 60fps was just lying to themselves.

60fps was a pipe dream but IMHO nothing shown so far looked impressive enough not to hit 1080p PS4/900p Xbox One.

The more I watch he video the more I like it but also the more I notice the crowd robotic and glitchy behaviour.

Don't forget the pop in. There was almost constant NPC pop in while he was walking the streets and noticeable foliage pop in during the cemetery section.

DMiz

The more I watch he video the more I like it but also the more I notice the crowd robotic and glitchy behaviour.

That's a problem that goes all the way back to the first Assassin's Creed, sadly. Their crowd AI has never managed to somehow circumvent the fact that there is always several NPCs in the scene doing the same animation. It's gotten better with each title, but seeing as how one of the marketing points on the back of the box for this series has seemingly been how many people they can put in each city, it doesn't seem likely to go away.

It was actually one of the things that distracted me in that recent trailer that went up on YouTube. They go out and about to show off various scenes in Paris that are almost idyllic in how it's been put together, but there's this one scene where you see women farming that kills it.

Your first view: it looks impressive.

Your second view: you can start to see where this animations is going to prop up all over the place and result in a lot of uncanny valley moments.

UrbanRats

The game looks really great, but also buggy as shit.
I know this is probably an older build, but the game is out in 2 months, and these videos are FULL of glitches.
He goes into the haystack with one sword, comes out with another, goes into the confessional to kill the target, and come out of it with the older sword.
And in general lighting glitching, people in the crowds glitching constantly.

I wouldn't be too worried, if AC3 hadn't been a bugged mess when it came out.
I don't think i've experienced a single cutscene where there wasn't a silly glitch in that game, either Connor missing hair, or someone going through a wall or disappearing...

It's a fucking waste, just because they have to adhere to the stupid "one game a year" model.

Seriously why does the HUD have to be so large and intrusive?
wGeO5iU.png

When stacked together you can really see how much of the screen is being taken up by the HUD:
y3ZQq8t.png

woen

The game looks really great, but also buggy as shit.
I know this is probably an older build, but the game is out in 2 months, and these videos are FULL of glitches.
He goes into the haystack with one sword, comes out with another, goes into the confessional to kill the target, and come out of it with the older sword.
And in general lighting glitching, people in the crowds glitching constantly.

I wouldn't be too worried, if AC3 hadn't been a bugged mess when it came out.
I don't think i've experienced a single cutscene where there wasn't a silly glitch in that game, either Connor missing hair, or someone going through a wall or disappearing...

It's a fucking waste, just because they have to adhere to the stupid "one game a year" model.

Well they spent 4 years to develop it, maybe 3 years at a full speed, which is more than pretty much every game since AC1. The development time is not the problem here.

I really hope it's an old build, they can't release the game with that amount of little glitches, bugs and technical errors.

Seriously why does the HUD have to be so large and intrusive?
wGeO5iU.png

When stacked together you can really see how much of the screen is being taken up by the HUD:
y3ZQq8t.png

You have to press a button to show the gadgets menu. Although, it's the default HUD, you'll have HUD designed with less informations, and the game plays just fine without the health, the commands, the objectives, or even the map and your weapons.

SJRB

Gold Member
Every AC game has multiple options to remove HUD elements. The HUD is not a problem whatsoever.

Nibel

Haystacks inside the church, people not noticing shit from you jumping from the roof or killing guards right next to them, guards not giving a fuck for someone dressed like you climbing up buildings right in front of their nose..

The AI really breaks a lot of the immersion for me. I'd rather had a harder game than a game that pretends I'm stupid. Will keep this on my radar, but this video gave me the feeling of seeing another AC game with the same mistakes as before.

UrbanRats

Well they spent 4 years to develop it, maybe 3 years at a full speed, which is more than pretty much every game since AC1. The development time is not the problem here.

I really hope it's an old build, they can't release the game with that amount of little glitches, bugs and technical errors.

If they need 4 years and a half to iron out that stuff, or 5 years, they should get it.
Better than to ship in this state.

Red Comet

Movement through the city is going to be so fun in this game with the new parkour up and down features, with the 1:1 scale, and with the fact that there are no more fucking guards on rooftops. I can't wait.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
yeah, if the game is currently in this state, it could probably use a delay to 2015. will Ubisoft let that happen? hell nah.

or this could just be a build from a few months ago.

I'ts probably not the final build, because someone told me once the final game actually gets put together surprisingly late prior to release. Weird to think, but even a few months away, the game is probably not done.

iNvid02

i think its just a demo build. around E3 IGN had a video showing how much work goes into their reveals, every second was put under a microscope and a full team dedicated to the E3 reveal.

Vertical slice, bros.

Tbh tho I am kinda nervous this could be super glitchy. AC3 on 360 at release was hot garbage, so it is possible some of this stuff won't be ironed out I guess.

We shall see.

Kaswa101

Although I'm hugely looking forward to this and will definitely buy, I'm still sceptical of the glitchiness given how bad AC3 was at launch. Demo looks great though, and some of the "unpolished" aspects seem like they aren't major issues. All AC games have these small problems and I'm okay with that lol.

Celestia

Cool time period and everything, but the AI seems really oblivious to what's going on around them. How would they not notice half the things he was doing?

Also a bit bummed they didn't let you create your own assassin for coop, that would have been neat. I really hope this AC addresses a lot of the issues previous games have had. Looks like it could be a good one if they do.

SJRB

Gold Member
You guys realize this is a scripted demo and the game is running on super easy mode right? Like every other demo ever. Right?

There is no difficulty setting in Assassin's Creed games, completely oblivious AI has been a part since the first game..

Kaversmed

Game looks ridiculously beautiful, but after watching the latest video my hype level just dropped drastically.

So many bugs and - as a lot of you guys are saying - the guards and npc's look completely oblivious to what's going on around them. The eavesdropping scenario was so obvious I was surprised he wasn't detected. Also the climbing seemed very rough. All those little things combined really breaks the immersion for me :(

I will hold off on any judgement ofc but I'm not too impressed with what I saw here.

valkyre

Every AC game has multiple options to remove HUD elements. The HUD is not a problem whatsoever.

Yes AC games have multiple options for removing HUD, but no matter what you do, ACIII and ACIV will simply not let you get rid of that FUGLY useless progress tracker that takes a lot of screen space.

Also as to why HUD has to be so full of things, well its a tradition that Ubisoft thinks is awesome, while I on the other hand find all these stuff they put on screen completely unnecessary and ugly. I don't know why they have such a fetish with overpopulating screen with HUD information. I just hope that this time we can get rid of the progress tracker as well.

Loginius

Attended a live demo of the game being played today at gamescom and there were a lot of glitches in the ~10m I saw.
The mc walking right through some crowd people, someone in the church standing inside of a table accompanied by very funky animations etc.
Nothing that screamed gamebreaking though.
ai is still as dumb as ever, this really irked me.
Parkour seemed improved big time, paris is great, graphics are great and it seems there are a lot of ways to tackle objectives but all this can be seen in the video of the demo anyway.

Really looking forward to this but I'm mildly concerned about the bugs and the ai.

Seanspeed

Banned
Yes AC games have multiple options for removing HUD, but no matter what you do, ACIII and ACIV will simply not let you get rid of that FUGLY useless progress tracker that takes a lot of screen space.

Also as to why HUD has to be so full of things, well its a tradition that Ubisoft thinks is awesome, while I on the other hand find all these stuff they put on screen completely unnecessary and ugly. I don't know why they have such a fetish with overpopulating screen with HUD information. I just hope that this time we can get rid of the progress tracker as well.
I think the biggest thing I want is so so simple:

When I turn off all the HUD elements, I want my direction correctly displayed when I check the map from the menu. What happens in past AC games is that when you turn the HUD map off, the map in the menu just has you 'pointed' in the direction you were when you turned the map off(so it stays like that), no matter what direction you're actually facing in the game.

Seems like such a minor, insignificant issue, but for somebody trying to play with the HUD off, its actually quite infuriating. If you're up on the rooftops or whatever, you can generally get a bearing on what direction you're facing using landmarks, but down on the ground where many of the areas all look alike and you cant see any towering landmarks around, you will often have zero idea which way you're pointing. This makes figuring out which way you're supposed to go frustrating.

Top Bottom