• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity Gamescom Demo

City looks great and so do the improved running mechanics though they never bothered me much. I like what I've seen of the main character, shame he's going to have to deal with another shitty Templars vs Assassins story.

The mission on the other hand was underwhelming, oblivious guards and all.

Just finished Black Flag and thought it was almost as poor as AC 3 so I'll remain sceptical of quality of this. Well, still buying it for Paris alone.

Black Flag....poor? Wtf is this haha.

omonimo

Banned
1) TLOU is a linear game, that was already designed to fully take advantage of the PS3. All they needed to do is upres it. Watch Dogs is a cross platform game, and its open world. An open world game won't look as great as a linear game most of the time

2)Lol. The Ai in GTA V can only either shoot you or drive at you. Thats all they can do. The AI in watch dogs can do a lot more than GTA.

3) That last statement.... wtf.
I'm talking of the pedestrian AI. WD can do a lot more of what ? I have the game, AI is nothing of special. I have tons of example, if you prefer. AC will be the same. Anyway AC4 it's 30 fps too & its a port.

sjay1994

I'm talking of the pedestrian AI. WD can do a lot more of what ? I have the game, AI is nothing of special. I have tons of example, if you prefer. AC will be the same. Anyway AC4 it's 30 fps too & its a port.

Oh. I thought you were talking about the aggressive AI. The aggressive Ai in GTA is garbage imo. I didn't really pay much attention to the civilian AI in GTA V because I just didn't enjoy the game as much, and didn't really explore it. I noticed that the AI in Watch dogs is more reactive to you as a player than in GTA.

Also, of course AC4 is 30 FPS. Its an open world game that was a simple upres port of the PS3 version. TLOU had extra time and is not as large (in terms of scale as an open world) so of course its going to be 60FPS.

Can you name an open world that is 60 FPS on console?

sjay1994

This game was pretty obviously shown on PC at E3.

Since its the demo from the ubi conference its possible, I think a better comparison might be the demo at microsofts conference. I think it happened around the same time of day as the gamescom one as well.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The E3 screens are the ones coming a compressed YT video :
http://youtu.be/wzBJPOcmke0

The GC ones come from Gamersyde.

You're embarassing yourself.
Like the other guy said, they're both from gamersyde, and once again, it's a different time of day, which can drastically affect a game's visuals. Case and point, here's another game where knee-jerk reactions led to misinformation and belief of a downgrade.
_1394813877.jpg

_1394813882.jpg

Lighting can and will drastically affect visuals.

omonimo

Banned
Oh. I thought you were talking about the aggressive AI. The aggressive Ai in GTA is garbage imo. I didn't really pay much attention to the civilian AI in GTA V because I just didn't enjoy the game as much, and didn't really explore it. I noticed that the AI in Watch dogs is more reactive to you as a player than in GTA.

Also, of course AC4 is 30 FPS. Its an open world game that was a simple upres port of the PS3 version. TLOU had extra time and is not as large (in terms of scale as an open world) so of course its going to be 60FPS.

Can you name an open world that is 60 FPS on console?
AC4 it's more a sandbox than an real open world game, if you ask me. From an area to another, I seen different loading. The ocean it's more a 'loop' then a real area. I think this game could run at the same fps of TLoU. But it's my though.

Like the other guy said, they're both from gamersyde, and once again, it's a different time of day, which can drastically affect a game's visuals. Case and point, here's another game where knee-jerk reactions led to misinformation and belief of a downgrade.
_1394813877.jpg

_1394813882.jpg

You're awesome for posting this comparison :)
edit: Anyone who has a PS4 and hasn't play ISS really needs too : P

DrBo42

_1394813877.jpg

_1394813882.jpg

Lighting can do HUGE things for overall look, see GTA 5. But textures don't lie... If you're comparing AC Unity from E3 to GC and cite the lighting as the quality drop, you're lying to yourself.

Edit: I think the game still looks pretty good considering the scope of the city and crowd size but there is absolutely a noticeable drop in texture quality from E3 to gamescom. E3 was most likely PC hardware and gamescom is PS4 hardware.

Ateron

Any word on the frame rate? Are they sticking to 30 or 60? I'm asking this because there was a thread a month or so ago that stated they were targeting 60. Highly doubtful but still, would be amazing.

Edit: I think the game still looks pretty good considering the scope of the city and crowd size but there is absolutely a noticeable drop in texture quality from E3 to gamescom. E3 was most likely PC hardware and gamescom is PS4 hardware.
I think GC (if it was the console version) was Xbox One right? The button prompts are Xbox, not PS4
Edit: I highly doubt it will be 60fps. They said they're targeting it, but I'm expecting it to be 30.

SJRB

Gold Member
Lighting can do HUGE things for overall look, see GTA 5. But textures don't lie... If you're comparing AC Unity from E3 to GC and cite the lighting as the quality drop, you're lying to yourself.

...Nice try, but the GC demo has Xbox controller prompts.

impact

Banned
I think GC (if it was the console version) was Xbox One right? The button prompts are Xbox, not PS4
Edit: I highly doubt it will be 60fps. They said they're targeting it, but I'm expecting it to be 30.

Could just be PC with the usual Xbox button prompts. Most likely is.

DrBo42

K. Watched the Gamersyde video, that's not source uncompressed footage. That's the only reason E3 and gamescom look different. Screenshot comparisons above are bullshit.

majik13

No there is no downgrade. The gamescom demo takes place during a different time of day btw. Which does make a huge difference, remember when people said that infamous is downgraded?

I dunno, at first I thought it was jus differentt time of day, lighting, and stream quality differences

But looking closer and there is definitely a downgrade in texture quality, especially the wood beams on the right, and maybe the stones.

Also perhaps E3 is PC and GC is X1? (or perhaps it really is a PC) and they are using X1 prompts to help hide an overall downgrade
conspiracy
Still looks pretty amazaing.

edit: looks like everyone is already discussing this stuff.

Stantron

Yeah tell me about it. Very disappointing. Not even an attempt at a French accent.

I'm wondering if we can play with French voice and English subtitles. I'm assuming they're already making the French voice work for that country, so it would seem fitting to at least allow us the option of changing it. Some people did this with Italian voice work on past Asscreed games, didn't they?

I dunno, at first I thought it was jus differentt time of day, lighting, and stream quality differences

But looking closer and there is definitely a downgrade in texture quality, especially the wood beams on the right, and maybe the stones.

Also perhaps E3 is PC and GC is X1? (or perhaps it really is a PC) and they are using X1 prompts to help hide an overall downgrade
conspiracy

They're probably the same builds tbh. I doubt they would downgrade this close to release. The only reason Watch Dogs was downgraded was because it was shown of years before release of the game, and the consoles it was releasing on.

I'm wondering if we can play with French voice and English subtitles. I'm assuming they're already making the French voice work for that country, so it would seem fitting to at least allow us the option of changing it. Some people did this with Italian voice work on past Asscreed games, didn't they?
Yup. Vinny from Giant Bomb definitely did this for at least AC2, so I'm sure it'll be an option.

kanuuna

Not a lot of places where to draw comparisons from with the different time of day, but here's some of the objects here look like a match to the E3 footage (desk and wall on the right, wooden floor). Both clips are from Gamersyde's site.

majik13

They're probably the same builds tbh. I doubt they would downgrade this close to release. The only reason Watch Dogs was downgraded was because it was shown of years before release of the game, and the consoles it was releasing on.

With these pics I dont think it is up for debate, that the texture resolution has taken a notiecable hit/donwgrade, just look at the wood. But we can specualte reasons, one being PC, and the other being console, namely X1. And WatchDogs downgrade wasnt really shown till closer to release. Regardless Ubi is well known for many of there games getting downgrades, not just WD.

Not a lot of places where to draw comparisons from with the different time of day, but here's some of the objects here look like a match to the E3 footage (desk and wall on the right, wooden floor). Both clips are from Gamersyde's site.

yeah those look like a downgrade in texture quality to me.

Mekere

The game looks gorgeous! Still, it's a bit weird to see the actual French flag displayed everywhere... It didn't exist during the French revolution, it was created only a few years after. :p

conspiracy

With these pics I dont think it is up for debate, that the texture resolution has taken a notiecable hit/donwgrade, just look at the wood. But we can specualte reasons, one being PC, and the other being console, namely X1. And WatchDogs downgrade wasnt really shown till closer to release. Regardless Ubi is well known for many of there games getting downgrades, not just WD.

yeah those look like a downgrade in texture quality to me.
Well there's watch_dogs and Far Cry 3. Far Cry 3 was downgraded compared to footage shown of years before release of the game. All footage we've seen of Unity has been within 4 months of the games release.

majik13

Well there's watch_dogs and Far Cry 3. Far Cry 3 was downgraded compared to footage shown of years before release of the game. All footage we've seen of Unity has been within 4 months of the games release.

didnt realize the reveal and release were so close, But still dosnt change that there is some sort of texture downgrade going on. between the two. But could be chalked up to being 2 different platform builds.

there were also downgrades for Red Steel 1, and ZombiU a bit. Or at least they had bullshots. As well as many other Ubi games having bullshots, but I guess that is a bit different.

Regardless game looks good and still hyped for it.

Also I thought the Far Cry 3 downgrade was compared to the E3 from its same year of release? no?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Guys keep in mind that there is quite a difference in bitrates between the E3 video and the GC one. E3 is 1.8 GB for 7m27s and GC is 1.5 GB for 11m29s. The E3 video has about twice the bitrate, so comparing the two of them isn't really that easy.

I can't remember being blown away by WD AI at all. The regular npcs on the streets straight up sucked compared to GTAV. Repeating groups and dialogue every couple of blocks. I'm sure they'll do much better, but as a living breathing world, GTAV definitely beats out WD for me.

/Shrug. I felt the exact opposite. NPCs having their own stories and plus the street side flavor text makes me think of GTA as a generation behind.

/Shrug. I felt the exact opposite. NPCs having their own stories and plus the street side flavor text makes me think of GTA as a generation behind.

I felt like the whole NPCs had their own stories thing fell by the way side after a couple hours of play. I saw tons of repeats of character models and their stories even with the randomized algorithm and I stopped caring. I liked the idea though and I'm sure next time around it'll be better executed

In addition nothing they really did in the world reflected what it said about then so that flavor text didn't do much for my immersion

Vidpixel

I'm still more offended at that default H.U.D. than some supposed visual differences. Thank the Lord you can remove all those useless U.I. elements cluttering up the screen.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
What I love about Unity that I feel the latest AC games (Revelations to Black Flag) lost is the sense of grounded intimacy between the player and the game world. Each world started getting bigger and more segregated.

I loved that despite a few horse back riding sequences, AC1, 2, and Brotherhood were so grounded in its gameplay and how you interact within missions and the environment.

Unity seems to be taking the game back to its intimate roots while adding the positive additions presented in the latest AC games. All while centering the gameplay around AC1's assassination mission structure. It's also adding new elements (stealth! Crouching! Skill trees!) all focused around its core set up.

I absolutely love it and can feel the AC1 and 2 vibes kicking in hard with this one.

PnCIa

Guys keep in mind that there is quite a difference in bitrates between the E3 video and the GC one. E3 is 1.8 GB for 7m27s and GC is 1.5 GB for 11m29s. The E3 video has about twice the bitrate, so comparing the two of them isn't really that easy.
Listen to this man! Fine texture details are easily lost in a video.

Toa TAK

Banned
Coming from a french company makes it even worse.

It's like a hollywood film about Romans, but every actor is a Brit.

Come on now, Ubi, we expect you to do that at the very least. Especially after Altair (in Revelations, but even the first game's VA was ethnically correct), Connor and everyone in ACIII, and even Edward + the supporting cast of ACIV.

Not game ruining or anything, but even with the option to play in French, it's just not the same.

cackhyena

It took maybe 45 minutes for me to see repeated lines and characters doing the same things from one end of town across the other in WD. After that, it felt like I didn't have to travel far in any direction to find the shitty beat boxer entertaining the ladies, or a host of other people saying/ doing the same things, just reskinned. It took a long ass time to to find anything repeating that same way in GTAV. There is so much more variety and flavor in V, it makes WD look a generation behind in that regard. Luckily it controls great on foot and with combat, so...hope for a sequel to really iron out the kinks.

It's like a hollywood film about Romans, but every actor is a Brit.

Come on now, Ubi, we expect you to do that at the very least. Especially after Altair (in Revelations, but even the first game's VA was ethnically correct), Connor and everyone in ACIII, and even Edward + the supporting cast of ACIV.

Not game ruining or anything, but even with the option to play in French, it's just not the same.

But at least in that case they were speaking Latin, a dead language, not modern Italian, so it's pretty much fair game. Whereas in this case it's only a couple hundred years ago and the language still exists.

Top Bottom