• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity Gamescom Demo

Toa TAK

Banned
But at least in that case they were speaking Latin, a dead language, not modern Italian, so it's pretty much fair game. Whereas in this case it's only a couple hundred years ago and the language still exists.

Wait--which case, Revelations? Or the Roman film?

Kezen

Banned
AC Unity will be 900p on PS4 in the worst case scenario.
There is no reason to go any lower, on Xbox One it's possible that they will settle for 792p like they did for Watch Dogs.

UrbanRats

I was looking at the GC demo and noticed the downgrade int he clothing physics, compared to last E3's demo:

ibnyEcaicaSkGZ.JPG

Ubi's gonna Ubi. :\

In motion is even more jarring.

UrbanRats

Still using the same last-gen animations, I see?

:(

It's definitely better than old AC's, but not as detailed as the E3 demo.

Maybe the E3 demo was running on PC with the Nvidia cloth physics (which name escapes me now) and the new one is what we'll see on console?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I was looking at the GC demo and noticed the downgrade int he clothing physics, compared to last E3's demo:

ibnyEcaicaSkGZ.JPG

His cloth is much shorter in the GC demo, so it's no as dynamic as the cloth in the e3 demo.
Still using the same last-gen animations, I see?

:(
What animation specifically are you talking about? Because aside from the leap of faith I see nothing here that was in previous AC games animation wise.

Game4life

Banned
I still dont understand how anyone can fall in love with AC shoddy stealth gameplay. This video showcased some of the most dumb AI I have ever seen.

Kezen

Banned
It's definitely better than old AC's, but not as detailed as the E3 demo.

Maybe the E3 demo was running on PC with the Nvidia cloth physics (which name escapes me now) and the new one is what we'll see on console?

Unity does not use Physx but Havok, it's the same physics across all platforms.
I'm not seeing the "downgrade" you are alluding to.

I know Watch Dogs has taken a hit in the graphics department but I see no reason to assume the same will apply for Unity. I'll leave them the benefit of the doubt unless proven otherwise.

JohnGrimm

I'll never understand this. Especially with the various qualities of videos we have of the game. Can't people just be excited for the gameplay, story or art direction rather than the number of pixels on screen.

It's always a losing battle with some people.
Sure, but it's pretty hilarious to see Ubisoft keeping up with the downgrades, time and time again.

Vidpixel

ibnyEcaicaSkGZ.JPG

Idk, maybe it's just me, but the cloth physics seemed too overly exaggerated and moved much more crazily in the E3 demo than the Gamescom one.

Crossing Eden

Sure, but it's pretty hilarious to see Ubisoft keeping up with the downgrades, time and time again.
It's also pretty hilarious to see people claim that something was downgraded when it's clearly not. "The shorter cloth doesn't hang in the exact same way as the longer cloth in the e3 demo, downgrade confirmed!"

Gaz_RB

I'll never understand this. Especially with the various qualities of videos we have of the game. Can't people just be excited for the gameplay, story or art direction rather than the number of pixels on screen.

It's always a losing battle with some people.

Because there is a possible downgrade and we need to be very upset.

For some reason.

Mifune

Mehmber
Cloth physics have about zero effect on whether the game is good or not so can't say I give a shit.

And the game looks gorgeous, so...

I wonder if those people still surprised at Ubisoft downgrading are also surprised at fast food sandwiches not looking like they do in the pictures...

To me a downgrade needs to be obvious, it needs to look like a different game. Like Dark Souls 2 for example where the lighting engine is just completely gone. You see the comparison immediately and it's striking, even if the final game is still fun as promised.

When you have to stop and stare at two pictures and try really hard to look for inconsistencies or differences, there's a problem.

I don't think it has to do with the fact that the wooden floor's texture has gone from a 1024 to an 512 resolution or that the number cups on the table changed from 8 to 3 is something to cry about.

We live in a time where people require non-stop content (we didn't have that problem before the internet) and game development is something that changes until the game is certified as GOLD. They need to pump out content to create hype but at the same time they are optimizing the game so yes, things might change a little from the first showing to the time it gets in your hands. Some studios are much more talented than others at predicting or making sure the game is constant visually through the dev time.

We won't see something as jarring as Watch Dogs ever again (I think it had more to do with Ubisoft's wrong prediction of next-gen hardware and cross-gen shenanigans than actively deceiving gamers) but this sort of witch hunting is becoming ridiculous.

Will there be a thread about this when new images of BLOODBORNE are released? Because that bait and switch was very flagrant.

Consistency.

Way way less buggy and clipy though. Seem more like a trade off than a downgrade. It was literally almost clipping through everything in the E3 demo, and it's not now.

sjay1994

ibnyEcaicaSkGZ.JPG

FFS... people are trying to hard to prove a downgrade.

Thats not from a demo. Thats from a widescreened trailer edited so things in the forground are blurred.... might as well post the full shot.

fuckyougaf.jpg

Bricky

Just saw this demo being played live at Gamescom at a presentation about the game and I can confirm it was running on a PC as the whole thing got Alt-F4'd to desktop when the a bug prevented Arno from assassinating his target. I unfortunately also have to confirm the game might be downgraded (and I am NOT one to easily say this just because every damn Ubisoft game is accused of it on GAF). It looked dangerously close to the PC-version of Black Flag in some respects, which I played but a few weeks ago. Don't get me wrong; it looked fantastic and stuff like the crowds and animations were impressive, and some people in this thread are trying WAY too hard to make it seem like a major step down from the E3-build. But they are partly right in that it definitely didn't look as good as the E3 demo did.

Not trying to cause panic, but I can't deny what I see in front of my own eyes. Let's hope Ubi proves me wrong in the final release.

There was some kind of weird stutter going on too, and gameplay was of course a bit less polished than this marketing video makes it seem, but especially the former is probably just because this is an early build of the game. Wouldn't worry about that too much.

But enough about graphics; the game itself seemed awesome. It just screamed classic AC to me. All signs point at this being more of a sequel to the first few games instead of another AC trying to take its gameplay in strange new directions while not focusing on what made the first few entries in the series so much fun. Black Flag was a good time, but this takes the franchise back to its stealthy assassin roots. I like that.

E:
The textures look more blurry than they should because of the crappy stream. Either way, this looks like the best AC game to come out in a long time, and also it's definitely the best looking AC.

Looking forward to it!

Nope. This is one of those things that was apparent in the live demo I was shown too (which obviously isn't compressed or suffered because of the hell Youtube puts uploaded videos through). They are slightly worse than what was shown at E3. Notice the emphasis I put on slightly?

Just to make sure I wasn't making things up or remembering things wrong I just compared some high-quality Gamersyde footage from both E3 and GC and the textures in the E3 version look sharper. Simple as that. Other than that they were fine though. Unless Digital Foundry tears the PS4 version apart and notices another Watch_Dogs there is no need to start a riot over a slight change in texture-filtering quality.

sjay1994

Just saw this demo being played live at Gamescom at a presentation about the game and I can confirm it was running on a PC as the whole thing got Alt-F4'd to desktop when the a bug prevented Arno from assassinating his target. I unfortunately also have to confirm the game might be downgraded (and I am NOT one to easily say this just because every damn Ubisoft game is accused of it on GAF). It looked dangerously close to the PC-version of Black Flag in some respects, which I played but a few weeks ago. Don't get me wrong; it looked fantastic and stuff like the crowds and animations were impressive, and some people in this thread are trying WAY too hard to make it seem like a major step down from the E3-build. But they are partly right in that it definitely didn't look as good as the E3 demo did.

Not trying to cause panic, but I can't deny what I see in front of my own eyes. Let's hope Ubi proves me wrong in the final release.

There was some kind of weird stutter going on too, and gameplay was of course a bit less polished than this marketing video makes it seem, but especially the former is probably just because this is an early build of the game. Wouldn't worry about that too much.

But enough about graphics; the game itself seemed awesome. It just screamed classic AC to me. All signs point at this being more of a sequel to the first few games instead of another AC trying to take its gameplay in strange new directions while not focusing on what made the first few entries in the series so much fun. Black Flag was a good time, but this takes the franchise back to its stealthy assassin roots. I like that.

You are not going to cause panic... you are going to cause mass hysteria and a 100 page thread.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

mother of god

*runs to bomb shelter*

kick51

Banned
it's funny that the graphics are the focus, when the series' glaring flaw that has not improved much is the gameplay. You can sell "press A to Awesome" if it's packaged like this.

Crossing Eden

Inb4 mass hysteria and overreactions. I don't recall them saying that the demo was on console btw. Console footage will come soon enough.
Possibly sooner than you think.

Kezen

Banned
Disappointing if it was truly PC footage, visuals weren't that spectacular and I hoped this was just PS4 gameplay.

Crossing Eden

Disappointing if it was truly PC footage, visuals weren't that spectacular and I hoped this was just PS4 gameplay.
Ubisoft will most likely not be showing off alot of ps4 gameplay because they have a marketing deal with microsoft this year.

mrndkra

That is true for The Division but Ubisoft will likely partner with Sony for Unity, as it seems the AC brand is stronger there.

Except they've clearly partnered with Microsoft which is why Microsoft got the E3 co-op demo instead of Sony and why the Gamescom trailer was at the Microsoft conference instead of Sony's. Sony gets Far Cry 4 this year instead of Assassin's Creed.

Toa TAK

Banned
The graphics Unity has looks great, I'd rather focus on hoping that the gameplay is properly executed, which it does so far.

Kezen

Banned
Except they've clearly partnered with Microsoft which is why Microsoft got the E3 co-op demo instead of Sony and why the Gamescom trailer was at the Microsoft conference instead of Sony's. Sony gets Far Cry 4 this year instead of Assassin's Creed.

Alright I stand corrected then.

UrbanRats

It's also pretty hilarious to see people claim that something was downgraded when it's clearly not. "The shorter cloth doesn't hang in the exact same way as the longer cloth in the e3 demo, downgrade confirmed!"
You're madly defensive about this game man, calm down.

The cloth is probably shorter because it doesn't have as detailed skeleton, but it's pretty obvious how in one is much more rigid than the other, it's even more obvious in motion.

Please don't start this.

It looks great
The game looks great, don't start what? Some of you can't handle criticism even in question form? It's ridiculous.
NeoGAF isn't meant to be a Ubisoft official forum, as far as i know.

Way way less buggy and clipy though. Seem more like a trade off than a downgrade. It was literally almost clipping through everything in the E3 demo, and it's not now.
I liked it before, but yeah it was probably causing problems, the demos seem still very buggy so it's not hard to believe that they may try to iron out these problems by simplifying some minor aspects.

FFS... people are trying to hard to prove a downgrade.

Thats not from a demo. Thats from a widescreened trailer edited so things in the forground are blurred.... might as well post the full shot.

Full shot for what? I'm specifically talking about the cloth physics and the way it behaves, what has the rest of the shot or its blurryness has to do with *anything*?

Also, i'm not trying to prove anything in particular, just calling them as i see them, it's some of you that are getting just weirdly defensive, for some reason. (That reason probably being the whole Watch Dogs debacle)

bob page

His cloth is much shorter in the GC demo, so it's no as dynamic as the cloth in the e3 demo.

What animation specifically are you talking about? Because aside from the leap of faith I see nothing here that was in previous AC games animation wise.

Pretty much all the movement animations look the same as Black Flag to me... including the running, jumping, etc. Some of the interactions with objects/people while moving still look janky, too. The NPC animations look stiff as well.

Crossing Eden

That is true for The Division but Ubisoft will likely partner with Sony for Unity, as it seems the AC brand is stronger there.
There is a very specific reason that Unity has been shown off at Microsoft conferences compared to the past.

ibnyEcaicaSkGZ.JPG

The textures have taken a huge hit on the building (granted, the first building could just be a more important one with more detail) but to be honest the cloth looks way better in the GC demo. It actually looks like a heavy fabric coat. Arno sort of looks like he's wearing a silk bathrobe or a tablecloth in the E3 demo, it's ridiculously light and billowy.

UrbanRats

The graphics Unity has looks great, I'd rather focus on hoping that the gameplay is properly executed, which it does so far.

They do.

I can focus on both, tho, since "hoping" is a really low intensity activity!

but to be honest the cloth looks way better in the GC demo. It actually looks like a heavy fabric coat. Arno sort of looks like he's wearing a silk bathrobe or a tablecloth in the E3 demo, it's ridiculously light and billowy.

I agree that in the E3 demo it looks too light for a coat (though i guess it depends on how heavy it's meant to be), in the GC demo though it's overly stiff.

I would've preferred a combination of the two.

Blim has confirmed the bitrate in the E3 video was twice as high as the GC video, so they are not a good comparison in terms of quality. Whether things have been downgraded or not, I am not see how it is comparable to Black Flag at all really. It looks much more impressive to me in terms of geometry and variety of textures. I think BF looks good as well.

Bricky

I don't know, looks great to me.

It absolutely does, but it might be a little bit worse than what was 'promised' to us, and GAF hates that with a passion.

(And sometimes GAF is right, but the details some people nitpick on in this thread based on a bunch of screenshots (like the coat) is ridiculous.)

Pretty much all the movement animations look the same as Black Flag to me... including the running, jumping, etc. Some of the interactions with objects/people while moving still look janky, too. The NPC animations look stiff as well.

Nah, movement animations are better or have at least been expanded with a whole bunch of new ones. Everything janky on the animation side should just be looked at as early-build problems.

Just look at the older footage of Arno parkouring down a building for proof.

Blim has confirmed the bitrate in the E3 video was twice as high as the GC video, so they are not a good comparison in terms of quality. Whether things have been downgraded or not, I am not see how it is comparable to Black Flag at all really. It looks much more impressive to me in terms of geometry and variety of textures. I think BF looks good as well.

Well, the videos look worse than what I actually saw in person, but I think live-impressions should be comparable to a high-bitrate video. ;)

And it isn't exactly comparable to Black Flag as the GC demo just reminded me of it in a 'well, this seems to be a way better version of the old engine' kind of way in a way the E3-demo did not. That might just be me, but I just try to give my impressions as unfiltered as possible and it is something I noticed.

Crossing Eden

You're madly defensive about this game man, calm down.

The cloth is probably shorter because it doesn't have as detailed skeleton, but it's pretty obvious how in one is much more rigid than the other, it's even more obvious in motion.
Unless they completely removed the longer cloth I'm pretty sure it will make it into the final game as a customization item nearly identical to it was at e3 if not more stable and less like a sheet. It reminds me of the much longer capes in Destiny. P.S. Super calm and relaxed right now. Don't worry.

Dude, i've played around 80 hours between AC3 and AC4, and aside from a different walk/run animation cycle and sped up animation speed in AC4, Connor and Edward share identical animations when it comes to movement. All of Arno's movements were mocapped by Jesse Le Flair. Aside from possibly the leap of faith and other key animations it's all new stuff. Very similar because the characters are doing similar things but it's definitely new.

Top Bottom