• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity Gamescom Demo

Randam

E3 vs GC material:

E3
desktop_2014_08_14_20n6um4.png

GC
desktop_2014_08_14_20j9u4c.png

GC
desktop_2014_08_14_20b4uvy.png

E3
desktop_2014_08_14_20xou9e.png

GC
desktop_2014_08_14_20l3ur2.png

E3
desktop_2014_08_14_2083uhk.png

GC
desktop_2014_08_14_20o1uws.png

E3
desktop_2014_08_14_21g8uhr.png

GC
desktop_2014_08_14_2080udq.png

E3
desktop_2014_08_14_20fpubr.png

GC
desktop_2014_08_14_20m6uhq.png

E3
desktop_2014_08_14_20ntuuw.png

GC
desktop_2014_08_14_201xu3z.png

thanks to this dude: http://www.consolewars.de/messagebo...-Creed-Unity?p=5392211&viewfull=1#post5392211

RedSwirl

Watched the Gamersyde stream which seems to confirm the game's open-ended nature, which is what I've wanted to see in AC since the first game. Looks really good in my opinion.

Probity

My god the shoddy crowd AI and pop-ins are disgusting. Is there a visual downgrade too?

It is hard to tell if there is a real downgrade, really. The quality still seems a bit low from what we saw in the past, not extremely clear. It seems about the same, but the different time of day makes the lighting look completely different on the environment and the crowds. It is less bright and a lot darker and looks a bit off. If there was a downgrade though, it is not too blatant. This is not a watch dogs level drop in quality to say the very least, if there even is a drop at all.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
My god the shoddy crowd AI and pop-ins are disgusting. Is there a visual downgrade too?
No there is no downgrade. The gamescom demo takes place during a different time of day btw. Which does make a huge difference, remember when people said that infamous is downgraded?

It seemed to run at 1080p though. That would be a shame if the final build wouldn't on any consoles.
That's the textbook definition of false advertising Ubisoft get so easily away with.

As long as they don't butcher the PC version graphics wise that's fine by me.

I'd prefer if developers don't aim for either 1080p or 60fps for multiplat games, as that way the visuals have a higher chance of not being cut down for PC.

The only real difference i see here is that the new footage seems to be slightly too saturated/vibrant. Something that I feel is an issue with the recording.

Probity

If I wasn't associated with AC information at all times, as well as being a friend of many members of the AC wiki, I would have thought it was spelled differently too. Since it is set in Paris, I could have been convinced it was supposed to be spelled Arnaud, since that was a normal name and all, and sounds pretty much the same. Oh well, I am not worried about it. Ubi chooses name spellings and all that specifically because every word in a character's name is supposed to stand for a broader meaning in other languages that reflect parts of those characters' lives or personalities.

murgo

It's beautiful. Still AC with stupid pop-in and ugly crowds, but it's beautiful. I need this shit right now!

that looks really impressive, more impressive than SS IMO. i might get burned for saying this but i am ok with sub-1080p as long as they maintain this visual quality. i noticed some doggy animations and glitches, i hope they polish the game before release though.

Kezen

Banned
I'd prefer if developers don't aim for either 1080p or 60fps for multiplat games, as that way the visuals have a higher chance of not being cut down for PC.
I can understand that. If X or Y game aims for 60fps obviously asset quality will have to be compromised compared to what could have been if 30 was the target. PC skus can't do nothing to make up for that, we're stuck with whatever asset quality/geometry consoles can muster at the desired target. We can "fix" the framerate however.

Still, a 60fps game on 2tflops console mean the game will run very, very well on mid-range and lower end machines so there is a positive to take away from all this.
I won't mind either way.

valkyre

No there is no downgrade. The gamescom demo takes place during a different time of day btw. Which does make a huge difference, remember when people said that infamous is downgraded?

I agree different time of day looks to be the only difference here EXCEPT the indoors photo in the stairs. In that particular photo i think textures are definetely taken a hit and i would even say some of the geometry is different (especially the stairs).

Granted it could be a different building so ...

Crossing Eden

I agree different time of day looks to be the only difference here EXCEPT the indoors photo in the stairs. In that particular photo i think textures are definetely taken a hit and i would even say some of the geometry is different (especially the stairs).

Granted it could be a different building so ...
It's most definitely a different building.

5paceman

Neo Member
I think you guys are doing the game a bit of injustice. IMO the game looks the best in the series and since it is returning to its roots in focusing on the assassinations then it seems like a very promising game. Basically a Hitman: Blood Money rebirth.

Shame about the lack of competitive multiplayer (PvP) though.

3bdelilah

Banned
I was excited about the stealth first, but after seeing how ridiculously stupid the enemy AI behaves, I'm now much more excited about the "different pathways". Looks very good overall, hype level is still more or less the same.

The only real difference i see here is that the new footage seems to be slightly too saturated/vibrant. Something that I feel is an issue with the recording.

Isn't it just the time of day?

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Weird bug on the crowds. Models seem to be switching in and out entirely different people. I guess there's some sort of memory constraint that only allows certain number of variants?

Really hope that's fixed by launch. Their crowd tech is nothing to yell about it it ends up looking like that.

DrBo42

Looks great. Only thing I'm a little unsure about besides the combat claims is how much info is presented about infiltration or opportunities. Feel like it would be better to discover rather than explicitly told.

Khayam

Banned
So I guess downgrading is just santdard procedure now for Ubisoft ?

The lighting is disgustingly ugly compared to E3. Texture are sloppy and blurry. They also lack depth and look completely flat now.

I can't believe the people saying that this (GC version) is the best looking game they've ever seen.

Kezen

Banned

The lighting is disgustingly ugly compared to E3. Texture are sloppy and blurry. They also lack depth and look completely flat now.

I can't believe the people saying that this (GC version) is the best looking game they've ever seen.

The footage has its flaws but it's still impressive considering the scope. I'm not seeing any sign of downgrade yet. Ubisoft have a shady trackrecord with those things I know but they probably learned about Watch Dogs' controversies surrounding graphics.

Those E3 and GC screens are obviously different times of day. I recall the same thing happening with people comparing Infamous Second Son saying it had a downgrade, but it was a different time of day. lol

Khayam

Banned
The footage has its flaws but it's still impressive considering the scope. I'm not seeing any sign of downgrade yet. Ubisoft have a shady trackrecord with those things I know but they probably learned about Watch Dogs' controversies surrounding graphics.

The screenshot above at really incriminating. Either there's something wrong with the GC screenshots or something has changed in the game but the textures are totally blurry compared to the extra sharpness of the E3 demo. Look, at the wood, the walls, the stones, the faces in the crowd.. It's just blatant.

Khayam

Banned
Those E3 and GC screens are obviously different times of day. I recall the same thing happening with people comparing Infamous Second Son saying it had a downgrade, but it was a different time of day. lol

Different time of day changes the shadows, the overall color tone, etc.

Not the blurriness of textures or their depth.

sjay1994

Different time of day changes the shadows, the overall color tone, etc.

Not the blurriness of textures or their depth.

because the e3 demo screens are high quality ones that were taken from a while ago.

and the gamescom ones are print screened from a low quality youtube video.

Visually its identical to e3. The only problem I have is the clipping and Ai movement, but that was also present in the e3 demo.

Guri

The screenshot above at really incriminating. Either there's something wrong with the GC screenshots or something has changed in the game but the textures are totally blurry compared to the extra sharpness of the E3 demo. Look, at the wood, the walls, the stones, the faces in the crowd.. It's just blatant.

We also need to know which platform they were running each demo. By now, every version is at least playable. I do believe the demo is older than what they're probably working at the moment (it's usually like this), so I'm not worried. Maybe it was on PC at E3 and a console at Gamescom. In any case, just wait and see before you get the game. That's what I'll do. Not because of graphics, but optimizations.

cackhyena

Disgustingly ugly, huh? You'll fit in nicely amongst the more hyperbole prone here on gaf.

Looks fine in my video. A little blurry. but not that bad. Where those screens taken from the Gamersyde version?

The textures look more blurry than they should because of the crappy stream. Either way, this looks like the best AC game to come out in a long time, and also it's definitely the best looking AC.

Looking forward to it!

omonimo

Banned
Still not understand what have of so special to struggle at 1080p. I have played TLoU remaster then WD. The difference it's embarassing. I though the remaster was a new game in comparison. AF on WD it's dumb, tearing, sub 30 fps & 900p ugh . The thing more irritating it's the ubi excuse: sophisticated ai. The hell drunk? AI in gta V it's a generation ahead to WD in the poor ps3. I'm starting to suspect their developers are inferior to the standard in the market.

Seanspeed

Banned
Possibly. What I've noticed from watching quite a few Gamersyde videos is that the quality of the videos being released by these pubs/devs is not great. Bloodborne looked all sorts of bad with its jaggies and blurriness when looking at it in full 1080p, for example.

I'm pretty sure a lot of these games are a bit sharper, crisper and cleaner than they are in the vids.

Still not understand what have of so special to struggle at 1080p. I have played TLoU remaster then WD. The difference it's embarassing. I though the remaster was a new game in comparison. AF on WD it's dumb, tearing, sub 30 fps & 900p ugh . The thing more irritating it's the ubi excuse: sophisticated ai. The hell drunk? AI in gta V it's a generation ahead to WD in the poor ps3. I'm starting to suspect their developers are inferior to the standard in the market.
Watch Dogs was not the most impressive game, nobody will deny that. But 'the AI' was not the singular excuse for its poor performance. There's a hell of a lot of things that go into CPU performance complexity and that seemed to be a big struggle for Watch Dogs, both on consoles and PC's. I think having started development on the game before the final specs of the next-gen consoles were even released probably played a part in them being caught out.

Either way, whatever Watch Dogs looked like, both AC: Unity and Far Cry 4 look pretty damn good, which shows they are not talentless hacks. The Division is shaking up to be damn impressive as well.

Khayam

Banned
because the e3 demo screens are high quality ones that were taken from a while ago.

and the gamescom ones are print screened from a low quality youtube video.

Visually its identical to e3. The only problem I have is the clipping and Ai movement, but that was also present in the e3 demo.

The GC ones come from the HQ video from Gamersyde and the E3 ones come from a video from E3. Point is : they all come from "gameplay videos".

And no, it's not identical visually. If you give me and a lot of other people random screengrabs of both videos, we would be able to tell which is which instantly.

The argument of platform is the best one for one but there is no use denying obvious reality. The E3 demo looked way too good to be true.

sjay1994

1) TLOU is a linear game, that was already designed to fully take advantage of the PS3. All they needed to do is upres it. Watch Dogs is a cross platform game, and its open world. An open world game won't look as great as a linear game most of the time

2)Lol. The Ai in GTA V can only either shoot you or drive at you. Thats all they can do. The AI in watch dogs can do a lot more than GTA.

3) That last statement.... wtf.

Crossing Eden

The GC ones come from the HQ video from Gamersyde and the E3 ones come from a video from E3. Point is : they all come from "gameplay videos".

And no, it's not identical visually. If you give me and a lot of other people random screengrabs of both videos, we would be able to tell which is which instantly.

The argument of platform is the best one for one but there is no use denying obvious reality. The E3 demo looked way too good to be true.
It's a different time of day. Obviously the game will look different at a different time of day. Do you think Infamous SS was downgraded too?

sjay1994

Of course anyone can tell the difference between the e3 and gamescom demos. They are both at different times. They are not the same identical demo.

Also, nothing in the e3 demo looks to good to be true.

cackhyena

1) TLOU is a linear game, that was already designed to fully take advantage of the PS3. All they needed to do is upres it. Watch Dogs is a cross platform game, and its open world. An open world game won't look as great as a linear game most of the time

2)Lol. The Ai in GTA V can only either shoot you or drive at you. Thats all they can do. The AI in watch dogs can do a lot more than GTA.

3) That last statement.... wtf.
I can't remember being blown away by WD AI at all. The regular npcs on the streets straight up sucked compared to GTAV. Repeating groups and dialogue every couple of blocks. I'm sure they'll do much better, but as a living breathing world, GTAV definitely beats out WD for me.

Arttemis

The screenshots above are a comparison of youtube compressed video captures and actual PR shots. Beyond the compression artifacts, the biggest difference is the color of the lighting which is likely due to a change in the time of day - not a downgrade.

I'm not saying there won't be a downgrade, but there doesn't seem to be one between these two conferences (which are probably an identical build).

phaze

City looks great and so do the improved running mechanics though they never bothered me much. I like what I've seen of the main character, shame he's going to have to deal with another shitty Templars vs Assassins story.

The mission on the other hand was underwhelming, oblivious guards and all.

Just finished Black Flag and thought it was almost as poor as AC 3 so I'll remain sceptical of quality of this. Well, still buying it for Paris alone.

Crossing Eden

City looks great and so do the improved running mechanics though they never bothered me much. I like what I've seen of the main character, shame he's going to have to deal with another shitty Templars vs Assassins story.

The mission on the other hand was underwhelming, oblivious guards and all.

Just finished Black Flag and thought it was almost as poor as AC 3 so I'll remain sceptical of quality of this. Well, still buying it for Paris alone.
It's not a templars vs assassins story, it's almost quite the opposite.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycZ1szYrwQ8
And I have no idea how you found AC4 to be shitty.
But that's not my business

I hope they nail the gameplay and graphical fidelity. The setting makes me want to buy this.
And hopefully i van play it in french with english subtitles.

Top Bottom