• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity Info from Game Informer

Toa TAK

Banned
Not to mention, the fact that they make a separate one every year splinters the community, as well as forces you to start all over from 0 again. I have to say, though, for a secondary mode, they sure put a lot of attention to it. All those weird Abstergo videos I'm sure only a few watch...

Shao Jun has a dedicated entry in Assassin's Creed III database, though, as well as being explicitly mentioned by Achilles by name. It's like a cruel tease.

The backstory stuff was actually pretty cool, but I just ended up watching those on YouTube and reading the rest somewhere else.

As for Jun, yeah, the tease is as cruel as they come. I think even in the Freedom Cry DLC, the box Adewale has resembles the one Shao Jun did in Embers as well. But apparently she's not cool enough to be on.. the banner.
Huge-Assassin-s-Creed-Sale-Starts-on-PAL-PS-Store-for-PS3-PS-Vita-Today-August-30-379409-2.jpg
Look at that shit, even Nikolai's on there and he just had two graphic novels.

mreddie

Liked AC1
Loved AC2
Enjoyed AC Brotherhood
Skipped AC Revelations
HATED AC3
Started AC4, but quit after the first city.
AC Unity: no desynchronizing, sweet graphics, co-op...cautiously optimistic.

Same here but I finished Black Flag, enjoyed it. Was eh about AC1 and Revelations was...a mixed bag.

LiK

Same here but I finished Black Flag, enjoyed it. Was eh about AC1 and Revelations was...a mixed bag.

AC1 was a new foundation so that's forgivable that the side stuff wasn't the best. It still has the best assassination missions, imo. Revelations felt like they simply wanted to end Ezio's story asap so it felt rushed but I still enjoyed it.

As for Jun, yeah, the tease is as cruel as they come. I think even in the Freedom Cry DLC, the box Adewale has resembles the one Shao Jun did in Embers as well. But apparently she's not cool enough to be on.. the banner.

Look at that shit, even Nikolai's on there and he just had two graphic novels.

As you could see, everyone there are Assassins whose stories are already finished. This only means that they still have future plans for Shao Jun. Big plans. Obviously.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
This all sounds promising. I haven't played an AC since Brotherhood (well, I played Liberation but that was not on console) so it's been a while for me.

Vibranium

Banned
Has the creative lead said anything about the British accents yet? I'm shocked nobody from the press has asked the question. There was a French guy in Brotherhood who spoke English yet had a proper accent.

I'm not buying on Day 1 but I may get it eventually. Somewhat burned out I think.

LiK

Has the creative lead said anything about the British accents yet? I'm shocked nobody from the press has asked the question. There was a French guy in Brotherhood who spoke English yet had a proper accent.

I'm not buying on Day 1 but I may get it eventually.

they did in a fan QA on Youtube altho I don't remember the video title. iirc, It had something to do with how the person in the Animus interpreted the voices but it was kinda BS considering we never got that reason in previous games.

Toa TAK

Banned
they did in a fan QA on Youtube altho I don't remember the video title. iirc, It had something to do with how the person in the Animus interpreted the voices but it was kinda BS considering we never got that in previous games.

*cough*Assassin's Creed*cough*

But nah, I remember something during a Q&A on twitter with Arno's VA and that question came up and he answered it. Something about him being able to speak fluent French or something.

I'm hyped for this, but the whole "30, 000 people in a crowd/on screen" or whatever is kinda like.. what's the point? Just cause it can be done, doesn't mean it needs to be.

I mean as long as the performance stays smooth I guess I don't mind it.

LiK

*cough*Assassin's Creed*cough*

But nah, I remember something during a Q&A on twitter with Arno's VA and that question came up and he answered it. Something about him being able to speak fluent French or something.

i guess if they had optional French language to choose from it's no big deal but l I still play with English for the outside the Animus stuff.

Fuck me this sounds amazing. Brotherhood was awesome and this addresses so many of the gripes I had with the games following it.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
They're fixing a lot of the issues I've always had with this franchise. No more auto-fail missions, no rooftop guards, no omniscient guards, improved stealth, more control over the parkour mechanic. This is sounding like my dream AC game.

Gaz_RB

I'm interested in hearing how you guys think the freerunning/freeclimbing could be improved and made more interactive.

Scrabble

they did in a fan QA on Youtube altho I don't remember the video title. iirc, It had something to do with how the person in the Animus interpreted the voices but it was kinda BS considering we never got that reason in previous games.

If I remember correctly, Altair in AC1 didn't have an Arabic accent because of something similar. I think it was explained by the animus still being early tech and not finished. At this point that shouldn't be a problem right?

LiK

If I remember correctly, Altair in AC1 didn't have an Arabic accent because of something similar. I think it was explained by the animus still being early tech and not finished. At this point that shouldn't be a problem right?

indeed, we heard accents in AC2 onwards. Hell, even Connor's tribe spoke in their own language in ACIII. but suddenly, everyone in France doesn't have a French accent is just bizarre. i don't mind Animus reasons but at least Ubi should've been a bit more consistent.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
looks cool but if all i'm doing is holding down R2+B it'll get pretty boring.

looks cool though.
Well from the sounds and looks of it we have way better control over the character. Not just up and down but also stuff like prince of persia style wall running. The game doesn't attempt to predict where you wanna go as much as in the older games.

SJRB

Gold Member
Most welcome and ultimately extremely necessary changes, some of which should've been implemented way sooner. I hope this game will bring the franchise to a new level.

Really looking forward to it.

Fbh

-Guards no longer automatically know where you are at all times once alerted, they will now search your last known location which makes it easier to get away and even flank them.

-Combat is now harder. You may be able to beat 2-3 guys but 5 is too many. You have to pay attention to what weapons enemies have now. "For the first time, we have boss fights that are about parrying at the right time, making sure you dodge, and not spamming the attack button."

If these 2 are true it would go a long way it making this fanchise FAR more enjoyable.

Toa TAK

Banned
indeed, we heard accents in AC2 onwards. Hell, even Connor's tribe spoke in their own language in ACIII. butg suddenly, everyone in France doesn't have a French accent is just bizarre. i don't mind Animus reasons but at least Ubi should've been a bit more consistent.

Especially since they're French.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Liked AC1
Loved AC2
Disliked AC Bloodlines
Loved AC Brotherhood
Enjoyed AC Revelations
Was extremely disappointed with AC3 - it nearly killed any interest I had in the franchise
Haven't played AC Liberation
Really enjoyed AC4 - the ship stuff was a lot of fun and I loved the pirate setting

Unity looks really good (the no insta fail missions thing sounds like a godsend), but at this point I'm more looking forward to Rogue since it seems to be a direct successor to Black Flag. (there's also the fact that I don't have a next gen system yet)

Speaking of Rogue, was there any new information in GI or was the issue mainly focused on Unity?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I am going to remain skeptical until I see how this is executed. it SOUNDs good, but in my experience everything in the Assassin's Creed games tend to sound good before you play it and realize all the caveats there are

Pretty much. It sounds nice on paper, but in practice? Seems like it'd be hard to implement.

Toa TAK

Banned
Liked AC1
Loved AC2
Disliked AC Bloodlines
Loved AC Brotherhood
Enjoyed AC Revelations
Was extremely disappointed with AC3 - it nearly killed any interest I had in the franchise
Haven't played AC Liberation
Really enjoyed AC4 - the ship stuff was a lot of fun and I loved the pirate setting

Unity looks really good (the no insta fail missions thing sounds like a godsend), but at this point I'm more looking forward to Rogue since it seems to be a direct successor to Black Flag. (there's also the fact that I don't have a next gen system yet)

Speaking of Rogue, was there any new information in GI or was the issue mainly focused on Unity?
Be sure to thank Crossing Eden.

Well from the sounds and looks of it we have way better control over the character. Not just up and down but also stuff like prince of persia style wall running. The game doesn't attempt to predict where you wanna go as much as in the older games.
If that's the case then that'd be great. I'm skeptical though, it seems that whenever a new AC pops up they claim to give the user more control only to realize that it's the same thing.

It's a shame since climbing is a pretty huge part of the series that the creators of the PoP games can't find a way for the user to have more control over it. It's just so easy and boring. I mean, climbing a village shack and climbing the tallest building in the game shouldn't be equally as easy where the only difference is holding the analog stick forward for 3 minutes instead of a few seconds. It'd be nice to have sense of skill or something.

It's a big problem I have with the Uncharted series where you can make the same jump if you have a head start or standing right on the edge. ridiculously automated. Which is kind of baffling coming form the dudes that made the Jak series where ever game had a few great platforming sequences.

sjay1994

As you could see, everyone there are Assassins whose stories are already finished. This only means that they still have future plans for Shao Jun. Big plans. Obviously.

Connor and Shao are the only ones whos stories haven't been finished yet. Shao was name dropped in both AC3 and 4, so hopefully we get a game with her as the main character.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
If that's the case then that'd be great. I'm skeptical though, it seems that whenever a new AC pops up they claim to give the user more control only to realize that it's the same thing.

It's a shame since climbing is a pretty huge part of the series that the creators of the PoP games can't find a way for the user to have more control over it. It's just so easy and boring. I mean, climbing a village shack and climbing the tallest building in the game shouldn't be equally as easy where the only difference is holding the analog stick forward for 3 minutes instead of a few seconds. It'd be nice to have sense of skill or something.

It's a big problem I have with the Uncharted series where you can make the same jump if you have a head start or standing right on the edge. ridiculously automated. Which is kind of baffling coming form the dudes that made the Jak series where ever game had a few great platforming sequences.
It's not a 3d platformer like Jak. It's about being as fast and fluid as possible. I can't think of anyway to make climbing higher and higher hard without it feeling artificial considering we play as players who have been doing this kinda stuff since adolescence.

LiK

Connor and Shao are the only ones whos stories haven't been finished yet. Shao was name dropped in both AC3 and 4, so hopefully we get a game with her as the main character.

she was an important character in the Ezio movie. I'm shocked they have done nothing else with her since.

eshwaaz

[*]Co-op missions can be done solo as well and have multiple difficulties. You can also explore the whole world in co-op

[*]NO MORE AUTO-FAIL MISSIONS! The missions now adapt to what happens when you play and don't follow any script. There will be changes and consequences for how you handle missions, but no longer will you get desynchronized for being spotted.
These two things make me very happy. I thought for sure that content would be walled off behind co-op requirements.

It's not a 3d platformer like Jak. It's about being as fast and fluid as possible. I can't think of anyway to make climbing higher and higher hard without it feeling artificial considering we play as players who have been doing this kinda stuff since adolescence.
I understand that and it's hard for me to think of one too but I'm sure the hundreds of designers could think of a mechanic to make scaling giant building more than just holding a stick forward.

*shrug*

I understand that and it's hard for me to think of one too but I'm sure the hundreds of designers could think of a mechanic to make scaling giant building more than just holding a stick forward.

*shrug*

Why would they need to? Franchise is on its 7/8th installments with no sign of slowing down. Clearly most people don't find it boring.

sjay1994

did all the DLC come out for it? if yes then he's done.

Not really.

Altairs story got its end in revelations
Ezio got his in Embers
Edward got his in Forsaken
Adewale
is going to get killed in rouge
Nikoli got his in the chain

Connor, Aveline and Shao are the only ones without a proper ending.

Toa TAK

Banned
Will Connor's story ever be finished?

I feel like Ubisoft just keeps shoving him under the rug.

I want to see his story through so bad. He got the short end of the stick for sure.

And what about Aveline? What about her connection to Eve? You can't just put something like that in a spin-off and never answer it, damn it!

sjay1994

Since this thread has become an AC plot thread essentially... remember at the end of brotherhood when Juno told Desmond to find Eve?

The fuck happened to that plot point?

sjay1994

I want to see his story through so bad. He got the short end of the stick for sure.

And what about Aveline? What about her connection to Eve? You can't just put something like that in a spin-off and never answer it, damn it!

Yeah it fucking sucks Connor is getting the shaft because people didn't like him.

LiK

they actually made a joke about him in ACIV. maybe they'll forget he existed. Aveline got way more attention in ACIV for some reason.

sjay1994

they actually made a joke about him in ACIV. maybe they'll forget he existed. Aveline got way more attention in ACIV for some reason.

Because Sony exclusive game (temporarily) makes good for sony exclusive content (temporarily)

Hamlet

NO MORE AUTO-FAIL MISSIONS
Thank god for that one of the worst aspects in recent assassin creed games
Curious to see if combat is indeed harder as they seem to say that about every new Assassins Creed game

LiK

Because Sony exclusive game (temporarily) makes good for sony exclusive content (temporarily)

i dunno if that's the main reason but it was interesting to see how they pimped her for a game that a lot of people never played.

Top Bottom