• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity Info from Game Informer

Still upset that they removed the multiplayer. It was great and underrated. One of the few online modes I enjoyed.

I doubt it will be the end of it, so hopefully you'll see it again. I think they just had to take the necessary measure of not only trimming some of their bloated staff, but also to focus on the core game that has run away from them recently.

Edit: I think more people are familiar than they realize with the French Revolution given the recent release of Les Miserables, which I believe did fairly well to provide good exposure. Even if I did find it overbearing as a musical
not every damn word has to be a lyric people!

NeoUltima

[*]Combat is now harder. You may be able to beat 2-3 guys but 5 is too many. You have to pay attention to what weapons enemies have now. "For the first time, we have boss fights that are about parrying at the right time, making sure you dodge, and not spamming the attack button."

I swear they say this every time.

IKizzLE

Been in development since 2010. After Brotherhood a team broke off and started on Unity.

They were seriously working on 5-6 games and DLC at the same time?

ACRevelations, AC3, AC Liberation, AC4, and AC Rouge?

Bet they are currently working on AC rouge for current gen and PC.
As well as the sequel to Rogue, an all templar type assassins game.
And the brotherhood version of Unity right now.

And there next location is already in pre production.
Huge team with a VERY successful property.

Doodis

Liked AC1
Loved AC2
Enjoyed AC Brotherhood
Skipped AC Revelations
HATED AC3
Started AC4, but quit after the first city.
AC Unity: no desynchronizing, sweet graphics, co-op...cautiously optimistic.

Toa TAK

Banned
French Revolution, especially the "Terror" periode is much more complicated and much more disputed in historical areas than the previous AC historical settings. The way Ubisoft sells the game and people see the period doesn't depict it as it should be, even as a playground, and will be heavily modified to fit the meta-story and how they see the French Revolution. I think it will be very interesting to analyse though.
Yeah, I found it a bit odd the way they're playing it out in the marketing, but I'm interested in seeing it how they handle it in the game, too. People bitched and moaned hard about ACIII's marketing, but finally shut up when the game came out and realized that no one is painted as "good" or "evil". Hopefully, they're play it "straight" like they did in ACIII.
If people don't know about the French Revolution then we seriously are in a bad place. I've been asking for this setting ever since AC2.

You guys just depressed me with this.
Tell me about it man. It's a dream come true to be getting the French Revolution after the fanbase has been asking for it for so long. And I now after getting re-acquainted with it in college, I was thrilled to see it announced.
Though I know no one who cares for history, or is ignorant of it in general and as much as I'd like to discuss that over here, that's really a different issue for OT GAF.
Still upset that they removed the multiplayer. It was great and underrated. One of the few online modes I enjoyed.
My problem with it (and yeah, I'm extremely please it's gone from both games) is that it was a copy/paste job through and through. I mean, people give COD shit about that, but it couldn't have been more true here. Wolfpack was too little, too late.

Dunan

Edit: I think more people are familiar than they realize with the French Revolution given the recent release of Les Miserables, which I believe did fairly well to provide good exposure. Even if I did find it overbearing as a musical
not every damn word has to be a lyric people!

I'm sure you know this, so I'm pointing it out for the uninitiated, but that story begins in 1815, a good two decades after the French Revolution. Not that the hard times for France's poor changed much in the intervening decades.
I liked the more realistic sets of the '90s movie which was filmed in Prague

But I agree that people who might not know much about late-1700s/early-1800s France will feel more at home with the setting after having seen that movie. I hadn't noticed this before, but the AC games seem to be alternating somewhat-obscure settings (AC1 Holy Land 1191; ACR Constantinople ~1510; AC4 Caribbean ~1720) with relatively-well-known ones (AC2/B Italian Renaissance; AC3 American Revolution; French Revolution coming up), and it works well either way.

Bet they are currently working on AC rouge for current gen and PC.
As well as the sequel to Rogue, an all templar type assassins game.
And the brotherhood version of Unity right now.

That's insane.

"We're making it more like Watch Dogs"

Sounds like a good way to go. Random events, skill trees, flexibility in missions, and the RPG style inventory and clothes sound great.

"For the first time, we have boss fights that are about parrying at the right time, making sure you dodge, and not spamming the attack button."

Haha, we'll see.

Woorloog

Banned
Based on the bullet points, and what little i've soon of AC Unity, it does sound kind of good... but... well. It is still an Ubisoft game, right? With all the grinding and extra stuff like WD apparently has and ACs and Far Crys have? Those don't appeal to me at all. I like open world games, when they are like Bethesda's, offering more emergent gameplay (well at least Bethesda's games feel like they offer more emergence than other open world games i've played).
And it still has the frigging modern-day framing story, does it? Because i might actually like AC if they were games strictly set in historic settings, no modern-day BS, no ancient conspiracies.

EDIT my AC history: AC1 had nice idea but wasn't very good as a game really. AC2 was good, i liked it, minus the modern-day shit. AC:B didn't grab me, neither did AC:R. And after that i haven't touched ACs.

todd360

Par the course. They already had ACIII & Unity in the chute by Brotherhood's development.*

*Warning: Contains high amounts of Jeffery Yohalem

I legit want to hear a ubisoft employee say that the last game in the franchise has been in development since they finished assassins creed 1. How hilarious would that be. This is a big what if scenario because it seems like they want to keep making these games yearly until the end of time.

Kinyou

They are using a similar technique as Watch Dogs for co-op, in your game you are always Arno, and everyone else looks like other brotherhood members, but in their game they are Arno and you look like a brotherhood member (like how you are always Aiden in Watch Dogs).
So you actually look like a different character to others and not just like a differently customized Arno. I think there was some confusion around that.

I thought ACR had a great story though. It was a nice finish for both Ezio and Altair's stories. Hook blade was cool.

Fuck the modern day stuff.

Question: Did they elaborate if this is like Romeo and Juliet with Assassins and Templars?

I am also glad they got rid of the multiplayer. It was fun in brotherhood but then every iteration after it got more and more convoluted with all the different perks.

I am really pumped for coop. Though my big worry is how they will go about micro transactions now that the competitive multiplayer is gone. I hope there isn't a paywall behind the different pieces of armor or abilities.

Was reading through the new GI magazine and their story on AC Unity and it added some things I didn't know, so I figured a recap thread might be good. Mods, lock if not allowed.

• They are using a similar technique as Watch Dogs for co-op, in your game you are always Arno, and everyone else looks like other brotherhood members, but in their game they are Arno and you look like a brotherhood member (like how you are always Aiden in Watch Dogs).
  • NO MORE AUTO-FAIL MISSIONS! The missions now adapt to what happens when you play and don't follow any script. There will be changes and consequences for how you handle missions, but no longer will you get desynchronized for being spotted.
  • You use the new rapid descend ability from buildings by hitting RT + B. Haystacks still exist, but they found you don't use them near as often now.
  • You really notice the new 1:1 scale for buildings, and the amount of buildings on the streets seems higher than any of the other games.
  • Stealth mode softens your footsteps, but you still move rapidly. Great for sneaking up on guards.
  • New cover system makes hiding easier and you can now peek.
  • Guards no longer automatically know where you are at all times once alerted, they will now search your last known location which makes it easier to get away and even flank them.
  • Combat is now harder. You may be able to beat 2-3 guys but 5 is too many. You have to pay attention to what weapons enemies have now. "For the first time, we have boss fights that are about parrying at the right time, making sure you dodge, and not spamming the attack button."
  • The NPC groups now react to each other. Thugs may attack you on sight, but guards/police won't unless provoked. Police may go after thugs, which means you can lure thugs to police and watch the police go after them.

There is a lot of good info in the article, go check it out in the new Game Informer.

Not sure to be happy or worried about those changes

I hope you can cause large scale riots in co-op.

Cause really, what's the point of open world AssCreed co-op with 5,000 people on screen if you can't riot?

Yep and my votes on London(Victorian Era) -> American Civil War -> WW1 -> WW2(Berlin, Stalingrad). If they keep pushing forward that is. I think they'll try to focus on a hotspot for each war. I'm not sure how they'll handle ACW or WW1, but I hope for WW2 they focus on the rise and fall of Hitler, the Battle of Stalingrad and the Fall of Berlin. Who knows though they might not want to ever go into the vehicle eras. I'd be fine with a time reversal too.

Toa TAK

Banned
I legit want to hear a ubisoft employee say that the last game in the franchise has been in development since they finished assassins creed 1. How hilarious would that be. This is a big what if scenario because it seems like they want to keep making these games yearly until the end of time.
I would laugh my ass of then cry at what might have been if they just stuck to the plan of having an original trilogy with the third game having a female lead.
;_;7

I thought ACR had a great story though. It was a nice finish for both Ezio and Altair's stories. Hook blade was cool.

Fuck the modern day stuff.
This is my feels towards ACR, too. The Sofia + Ezio bits were great. Want to see the Hook Blade return and visiting Vald's grave rocked.

KingJolly

Banned
Loved AC1
Enjoyed alot AC2
Disliked AC Brotherhood
Had a decent time with AC Revelations
Skipped AC3
Started AC4 (Literally 3 hours ago), Seriously enjoying it a lot, top tier setting
AC Unity: no desynchronizing, sweet graphics, co-op...very optimistic.
AC Rouge: Templar protagonist, Icebergs....optimistic.

Thats how mine goes

Want to see the Hook Blade return and visiting Vald's grave rocked.

Forum of the Ox was BEAST in revelations: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qjjqh2-LOo

Any info on the return of the super-obscure optional puzzles that made AC2 so amazing? I loved solving the "Truth" video puzzles and then seeing the deeply-hidden stuff there so much that I reserved Brotherhood on Day One just so I could have a shot at being first to find whatever that game offered. Come on, Ubi, give us an incentive to pre-order!

Finding the glyphs and solving the puzzles and getting those little snippets of "The Truth" might have been my favorite part of the whole franchise. None of the puzzle stuff has been even remotely as cool or fun or interesting since and I really hope they just bring it back whole cloth.

I swear they say this every time.

They do actually:

Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood Dev Blog – Ninth Entry:

"The fight pacing: Rather than use upbeats and downbeats, we decided to give a pacing to fights. Enemies will attack you continuously, at a standard pace. Therefore, you can be interrupted when you do an attack, or a counter-kill or a counter-disarm. This really makes it harder to rely on solely on defensive maneuvers and removes the staring matches. It also makes the fights much more intense because attacks can come in at any time."

Assassin's Creed 3: how Ubisoft's fixing the combat:

"They have the notion of a group. It's not just each man fighting, and they all die one after another."

Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag' combat to be 'more challenging:

"[It's] more challenging in terms of the opponents, the window of opportunity and timing that you have with reacting to attacks by others. Generally across the board we're tuning and taking things up to a new level in terms of realisation and difficulty."

woen

The combat system since the 1st episode changed but at 1 step for 1 episode so it's hard for the players to see and tell the differences. And from what we saw of AC:Unity, it's a bigger step imho.

Yeah, I found it a bit odd the way they're playing it out in the marketing, but I'm interested in seeing it how they handle it in the game, too. People bitched and moaned hard about ACIII's marketing, but finally shut up when the game came out and realized that no one is painted as "good" or "evil". Hopefully, they're play it "straight" like they did in ACIII.

I agree. But this time, after hearing and reading many interviews of the creative director, I'm skeptical, especially for the way they'll concile the three stories in the game (Big History, Meta-Story (Templars/Assassins) and Arno's story). You don't mess up with the playground!

Toa TAK

Banned
I agree. But this time, after hearing and reading many interviews of the creative director, I'm skeptical, especially for the way they'll concile the three stories in the game (Big History, Meta-Story (Templars/Assassins) and Arno's story). You don't mess up with the playground!
We'll see. Liberation (last game Sofia did) and Revelation (which he directed) weren't this heavy with story. So it could end up being average or if they really want to, it could be special. They literally have everything from ideas to tech to tell a great story.

Blader

A lot of this sounds good, but it also sounds like the same stuff they say before every. single. Assassin's Creed. release.

Scrabble

I'm 100% sure that skill leveling will be the same kinda shit as in Far Cry 3 where you unlock every worthwhile skill halfway through the game.

The no-autofail thing is appreciated but it's a solution to a problem that shouldn't have existed in the first place. The missions affected by this were shit to begin with.

So? Most sequels attempt to correct issues that "shouldn't have been a problem in the first place."

woen

A lot of this sounds good, but it also sounds like the same stuff they say before every. single. Assassin's Creed. release.

Which informations ? Aside from the 1 or 2 lines about the combat system. I don't remember Ubisoft talking about co-op, skills, cuztomisation, new mission system, new parkour, interiors, a proper stealth mode, 1:1 scale buildings, huge crowds...

I hope you can causes large scale riots in co-op.

Cause really, what's the point of open world AssCreed co-op with 5,000 people on screen if you can't riot?

PNqTOaD.gif

sjay1994

They do actually:

Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood Dev Blog – Ninth Entry:

"The fight pacing: Rather than use upbeats and downbeats, we decided to give a pacing to fights. Enemies will attack you continuously, at a standard pace. Therefore, you can be interrupted when you do an attack, or a counter-kill or a counter-disarm. This really makes it harder to rely on solely on defensive maneuvers and removes the staring matches. It also makes the fights much more intense because attacks can come in at any time."

Assassin's Creed 3: how Ubisoft's fixing the combat:

"They have the notion of a group. It's not just each man fighting, and they all die one after another."

Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag' combat to be 'more challenging:

"[It's] more challenging in terms of the opponents, the window of opportunity and timing that you have with reacting to attacks by others. Generally across the board we're tuning and taking things up to a new level in terms of realisation and difficulty."

Well, they weren't lying.

ACB enforced a more faster pacing to its combat, so the counter kill wasn't as easy to exploit as it was in AC1-AC2. I still remember trying multiple times to kill 20 enemies without getting hit. Problem was after you hit a flow, you were essentially unstoppable.

AC3 was also about speading things up, but also making certain enemies only being able to be hit after doing a certain action, ex sweeping brutes left them open for attack.

And AC4 enemies did a lot more damage.

The Llama

Just going off some of the tech they've mentioned (up to 30k crowds, so many building interiors, etc.), its nice to see they're taking full advantage of the new console gen hardware. Starting to feel like "nextgen" is finally moving past lastgen games at 1080p.

My problem with it (and yeah, I'm extremely please it's gone from both games) is that it was a copy/paste job through and through. I mean, people give COD shit about that, but it couldn't have been more true here. Wolfpack was too little, too late.

I think they should just make one big MP game and update it every year.

I'm still (probably foolishly) waiting for a feudal Japan or Chinese dynasty era setting. Until then I don't see myself getting back into the series.

If they did an entry set in China and the main character was not Shao Jun, I'd be extremely upset that I'd need to refrain from participating in every topic for fear of derailing it with "misogynistic Ubisoft" rants.

Par the course. They already had ACIII & Unity in the chute by Brotherhood's development.*

*Warning: Contains high amounts of Jeffery Yohalem
I'm sure they already had a pool of potential settings and just put all of them there instead of actually having concrete plans for every entry.

sjay1994

I hope you can causes large scale riots in co-op.

Didn't this happen in the Co op demo at e3?

They killed 2 guards and it caused the crowd to rampage through the gate.

woen

Yep exactly. And the mess in the castle begins with a woman killed by a brick, while many others are thrown into the 1st floor during the Assassins battle with the guards...and at the end, the nobles' head are on spikes thanks to the crowd outside. So yeah we can expect gameplay mechanics with the crowd, such as riots.

I mean like in the open world. Just throw a rock at someone and start a fight that escalates then guards get involved, then a gang of thugs get involved, then more guards, then lots of other people, then etc., etc. Meanwhile you stand on some roof with your friends and watch it all play out.......or push them into the crowd and laugh as they're attacked.

Toa TAK

Banned
I think they should just make one big MP game and update it every year.

If they did an entry set in China and the main character was not Shao Jun, I'd be extremely upset that I'd need to refrain from participating in every topic for fear of derailing it with "misogynistic Ubisoft" rants.

I'm sure they already had a pool of potential settings and just put all of them there instead of actually having concrete plans for every entry.

I would be interested if they pulled a character creator in the vein of Mass Effect or something and made major changes to make it compelling. To be honest, I don't hate the gameplay that the multiplayer is made of, I hate the fact that nothing changed in the past 4 titles. Adding achievements to them is a major pet peeve of mine, too. I don't want to go all the way up to 55 in brohood and IV. 20 is enough.

If they did do a China entry, I wouldn't expect them to do Shao Jun, not because of misogynistic Ubi (Ubisoft Sofia did give us Aveline, afterall, she's cool), but I just don't see them pulling other characters from the expanded fiction to have them star in the main game. But they did that with Edward, so who knows?

Yeah, as another poster joked, I'm sure it was just written on a whiteboard. Probably akin to "French Revolution?" "American Revolution?" "Why not both?! =D"

sjay1994

I mean like in the open world. Just throw a rock at someone and start a fight that escalates then guards get involved, then a gang of thugs get involved, then more guards, then lots of other people, then etc., etc. Meanwhile you stand on some roof with your friends and watch it all play out.......or push them into the crowd and laugh as they're attacked.

Well if its not in the game, at least you can still throw money on the ground from an elevated place, and feel better about yourself as the peasants pick up your coins.

sjay1994

I would be interested if they pulled a character creator in the vein of Mass Effect or something and made major changes to make it compelling. To be honest, I don't hate the gameplay that the multiplayer is made of, I hate the fact that nothing changed in the past 4 titles. Adding achievements to them is a major pet peeve of mine, too. I don't want to go all the way up to 55 in brohood and IV. 20 is enough.

If they did do a China entry, I wouldn't expect them to do Shao Jun, not because of misogynistic Ubi (Ubisoft Sofia did give us Aveline, afterall, she's cool), but I just don't see them pulling other characters from the expanded fiction to have them star in the main game. But they did that with Edward, so who knows?

Yeah, as another poster joked, I'm sure it was just written on a whiteboard. Probably akin to "French Revolution?" "American Revolution?" "Why not both?! =D"

Is this even possible considering this is Assassins Creed? I mean, it doesn't really make sense to create your own ancestor.

Not to mention, the fact that they make a separate one every year splinters the community, as well as forces you to start all over from 0 again. I have to say, though, for a secondary mode, they sure put a lot of attention to it. All those weird Abstergo videos I'm sure only a few watch...

Shao Jun has a dedicated entry in Assassin's Creed III database, though, as well as being explicitly mentioned by Achilles by name. It's like a cruel tease.

Loved AC2
Enjoyed AC Brotherhood
Skipped AC Revelations
HATED AC3
Started AC4, but quit after the first city.
AC Unity: no desynchronizing, sweet graphics, co-op...cautiously optimistic.

Disliked AC1
Loved AC2
Loved AC Brotherhood
Liked AC Revelations
Liked AC3 (Although, I hated the ship segments)
Loved AC4 (Ship segments improved but I still disliked them )
AC Unity: no desynchronizing, jawdropping graphics, No forced co-op missions... HYPED AS FUCK!

Nemesis_

I feel like I knew all of this already besides the being in development since 2010 thing, although I find that dubious since "in development" could mean anything in the project process.

Excited either way, it sounds like it might be a fun game that will change up a lot.

Top Bottom