• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Is it me or is this game missing an epilogue or something to tie it all together? I just finished the game and even though I enjoyed the overall story a hell of a lot, the ending makes zero sense.

Suddenly Arno is wearing a Master Assassin outfit even though he got kicked out of the Order. In fact, from what I understand of his ending monologue he even states that the Assassins and Templars are stupid. Then this bizarre cutscene with Napoleon where they hide the Sage's bones. What? Why? How does Arno know?

What was the point of the Sage anyway? Where is the big revelation? How is the Sage using a fucking lightning sword? It's a piece of Eden, but why is this never explained? What did the Sage find in the Temple, what was written in the book?

After the credits I went to the Assassin Hideout and walked up to them like "I think you owe me a huge apology, you stupid, decadent motherfuckers", but nothing. No interaction whatsoever, no acknowledgement of anything that just happened.

Also, Elise's death was 100% unnecessary and a total waste.

Overall the game was really good, but I hate sloppy stuff like this.

Kinda felt the same way. Story and story-telling peaked with ACII and AC:B imo.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Kinda felt the same way. Story and story-telling peaked with ACII and AC:B imo.

I thought Revelations told a more interesting story than Brotherhood, to be honest. Story definitely dropped of a cliff in 3 though. Modern stuff felt rushed and Connor was blatantly shoehorned into so many notable American Revolution events it was silly. Few even made for fun gameplay. Yes! You're going the right way!

emag

I'm just over 10% through the story missions (just got the Phantom Blade) and have done some of the side content (including a few coop missions), but am just not feeling this game at all. I loved the Ezio games (which I've all replayed recently) and tolerated 3 and Black Flag, but somehow AC:U feels even less interesting.

What advice would you give me to make my experience more engrossing and enjoyable? I generally like to focus on story missions and those side missions that have interesting dialog or set pieces/platforming. I know nothing about renovations or upgrades in this game (apart from just buying stuff from the merchant and spending upgrade points on abilities like air assassination, etc.).

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I'm just over 10% through the story missions (just got the Phantom Blade) and have done some of the side content (including a few coop missions), but am just not feeling this game at all. I loved the Ezio games (which I've all replayed recently) and tolerated 3 and Black Flag, but somehow AC:U feels even less interesting.

What advice would you give me to make my experience more engrossing and enjoyable? I generally like to focus on story missions and those side missions that have interesting dialog or set pieces/platforming. I know nothing about renovations or upgrades in this game (apart from just buying stuff from the merchant and spending upgrade points on abilities like air assassination, etc.).
Try this. Makes the game feel much more interwoven with the French Revolution.

Chronological order of all the story missions, historical events, and co-op missions.

1/1 - Memories of Versailles - 27 Dec 1776

1/2 - The Estates General - 5 May 1789

1/3 - High Society - 5 May 1789

20 June 1789 - Tennis Court Oath

2/1 - Imprisoned - 14 Jul 1789 - Storming of the Bastille

2/2 - Rebirth

4 Aug 1789 - Feudalism Abolished

26 Aug 1789 - Declaration of the Rights of Man

Co-op - Women's March - 5 Oct 1789

3/1 - Graduation

3/2 - Confession - 5 Jan 1791

Server Bridge: Fin de Siecle

4/1 - Kingdom of Beggars - 19 Jan 1791

4/2 - Le Roi est Mort - Jan 1791

5/1 - The Silversmith - 31 Mar 1791

5/2 - La Halle aux Bles - 31 Mar 1791

5/3 - The Prophet - 31 Mar 1791

6/1 - The Jacobin Club - 31 Mar 1791

6/2 - Templar Ambush

7/1 - A Cautious Alliance - 1 Apr 1791

7/2 - Meeting with Mirabeau - 2 Apr 1791

7/3 - Confrontation

Server Bridge: The Resistance

20 Jun 1791 - Royal Family Attempt Escape to Austria

Co-op - The Food Chain - Summer 1792

8/1 - The King's Correspondence - 10 Aug 1792 - Paris Commune Insurrection

8/2 - September Massacres - Sep 1792

Co-op - The Austrian Conspiracy - 2 Sep 1792

22 Sep 1792 - First French Republic Founded

9/1 - Starving Times - 31 Oct 1792

9/2 - Hoarders

9/3 - The Escape

10/1 - A Dinner Engagement - 20 Jan 1793

10/2 - Execution - 21 Jan 1793 - Louis XVI Executed

10/3 - Council Debriefing - 21 Jan 1793

11/1 - Bottom of the Barrel - 4 Jun 1793

11/2 - Rise of the Assassin

Server Bridge: The Bastille

13 Jul 1793 - Marat Assassinated

Co-op - The Tournament - Jul 1793

Co-op - Political Persecution - Jul 1793

5 Sep 1793 - Reign of Terror Begins

16 Oct 1793 - Marie Antoinette Executed

Co-op - Heads will Roll - 13 Nov 1793

Co-op - Les Enrages - 10 Feb 1794

Co-op - Danton's Sacrifice - 5 Apr 1794

Co-op - Moving Mirabeau - May 1794

12/1 - The Supreme Being - 8 Jun 1794

12/2 - The Fall of Robespierre - 27 Jul 1794

12/3 - The Temple - 28 Jul 1794 - Reign of Terror Ends

Co-op - Jacobin Raid - 29 Jul 1794

Co-op - The Infernal Machine - 24 Dec 1800

Crossing Eden

10897975_602155093218737_388670854530397110_n.jpg

( ._.)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

For real... The modern day plot felt so seriously lacking in Unity that it made the whole game feel kind of pointless. Too bad it couldn't get another year in the oven. Another victim of production schedules. Really hope the same doesn't happen with next year's Victory.

Crossing Eden

For real... The modern day plot felt so seriously lacking in Unity that it made the whole game feel kind of pointless. Too bad it couldn't get another year in the oven. Another victim of production schedules. Really hope the same doesn't happen with next year's Victory.
Victory's being led by Ubi Quebec instead of Ubi Montreal, first main game in the series to do so. Montreal asked for more dev time on their next AC title, so they get an extra year for the development of presumably whatever 2016's AC will be. Kinda like Treyarch and Infinity Ward.

Hystzen

Hopefully Dead Kings gives us some resolution to plot points but got feeling it something left on cutting room floor like some of assassins Creed 3 best stuff. I think it more funny the main assassin leaders don't even get database entries shows how much you meant to give a shit.

bumpkin

It's like they realized that the modern day stuff is pure garbage and left it out; exactly how it should be!

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
For real... The modern day plot felt so seriously lacking in Unity that it made the whole game feel kind of pointless.

I mean,
they seemingly just forgot to write an ending for the modern plot. You hear nothing about it for like the last 1/3rd of the game.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Anyone know how the club competitions work? We got PS4 GAF to 1st place on this last one, but once the time expired, nothing really seemed to happen.

Crossing Eden

Some in-game character models rendered in mental ray.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Artists did an amazing job with the characters.

slop101

Banned
I'm only about half-way through the main game (sequence 6), but besides hitting all the location synchronizations, I haven't really done any of the optional side missions.

There are so many, it's kinda' overwhelming, and I also hear that some of them are lame and not worth the time they take. I'm not a completion-ist, but do want to see the best the game has to offer and get my money's worth.

So what optional "Paris Stories" or other side-missions do you guys suggest I do, and which ones should I steer clear of?

Thanks.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I don't hate the idea of an upgrades system, but I do hate the fact that some of the upgrades are hidden behind coop missions. I shouldn't be limited in the way I build my character based on part of the game that's totally optional.

Also the list could have done with much better organisation. Since they already basically have armour themes and tiers, they should have just organised it according to them, instead of the huge list that's not even in a sensible number of rows.

Dawg

I don't get why people were complaining about the expensive armor/weapons in the thread I made yesterday.

With my upgraded café and social clubs, I'm pulling in A LOT of money. I could easily buy the most expensive weapon and more. And that's without finishing all the sidecontent like chests and optional missions.

I don't get why people were complaining about the expensive armor/weapons in the thread I made yesterday.

With my upgraded café and social clubs, I'm pulling in A LOT of money. I could easily buy the most expensive weapon and more. And that's without finishing all the sidecontent like chests and optional missions.

I typically just play through the main story in these type of games, if GAF hadn't told me to upgrade my cafe I wouldn't have bothered with it. So I can see why people might feel that way.

But yeah it's not bad at all once you are pulling in that maximum income.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It's like they realized that the modern day stuff is pure garbage and left it out; exactly how it should be!

I actually enjoyed the modern day plot up through III aside from that ending.

I'd be fine if they wanted to just can the whole modern day business and focus on a pure historical setting (even with the Assassin's vs. Templars stuff), but I would ask that they put more effort into it. Other than a somewhat touching relationship between Arno and Elise, we didn't get much of value from Unity and the historical backdrop was barely even considered outside of the side content.

We've also had three games in a row now where the protagonist doesn't seem to care much about the Assassin order or the overall conflict in general at all. It's kind of disappointing for me after the great Ezio games.

Just spent almost an hour setting up the perfect assassination to have the game hard-freeze my PS4.

Fuck this game.

Edit: I've calmed down. Game is very fun but man things like this just get to me.

Crossing Eden

You only need to reach Sequence 4 to play the dlc. Also, the dlc immediately hints at
Arno going to Egypt.
I've only watched the first cutscene.

I started a replay on the Xbone yesterday. Performance in Versailles is decent, at least.

Really taking my time with it, too, and it's already feeling a lot better.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The Dead Kings DLC is now available on Xbox Live. You have to "purchase" it for free in the Xbox Store. It's not automatically downloaded. Just FYI.

It's not yet up on PSN.

I have the game on both systems.

Picking this up tomorrow and I'm pretty excited. Now that all the patches are out and free dlc e.t.c I'm glad I jumped in late . I have played every ac game except for revelations so I have always been a sucker for the games, and only thing that stopped me day 1 this time was the technical stuff.

Having said that all ac games have had abit of jank and terrible performance. I remember ac1 being a slide show towards the end, but I always pushed through and finished em.

I'm getting some serious ac2 vibes plus kings watch dlc I think I'll be busy for a long time.

So yeh just wanted to say On my way excited :) I hope it's not as bad as sine people have said in here. As an ac fan I think I'll enjoy it :)

daman824

Just killed
the king of rats
. Loving this game so far. Definitely up there with 2 and brotherhood if only for the more open assassination missions and stealth.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
So, i've almost completed Dead Kings first mission (which is huge) and I have to say, against all odd's, i'm really impressed.
Great first impression. Nice and thick atmosphere, too.

The underground section made me realise how much I long for a new Prince Of Persia. Which will probably never happen, especially after The Forgotten Sands following it's own title. :(
I hope there are a lot more of those kinds of sections in this DLC. Reminds me of ACII's Assassin's Tomb's, those where pretty entertaining.

zorbsie

Really enjoying the DLC. Not sure how much they were going to charge for it. But I could see paying up to $15 for it. Only did the first two missions. The area is fairly large lots of underground areas too. I like collectibles so I'm glad they added more here. And I also like that they unlock gear/outfits. I was expecting a mission and some gear with this DLC, so all this extra stuff is just great.

Just finished the game. I think I appreciate it more than I enjoyed it. Many of my problems stemmed from my own flaws.

The assassination missions seemed very open ended and flexible, with tons of possible approaches. However, much as with MGSV:GZ, I found I would also screw up partway through and end up with alarms blaring and being attacked from all sides. This happened in every single main assassination, and I didn't have the patience to do it over proper.

I also enjoyed the story but found it a bit hard to follow at times, with all the twists and people reporting to other people. Again that might be my own problem with simply missing things.

Regardless of all that, the setting and atmosphere in the game were great and I liked the Arno/Elise relationship. Will hopefully have some time to dive into the DLC at some point, it sounds really cool.

RowdyReverb

Just finished the game. I think I appreciate it more than I enjoyed it. Many of my problems stemmed from my own flaws.

The assassination missions seemed very open ended and flexible, with tons of possible approaches. However, much as with MGSV:GZ, I found I would also screw up partway through and end up with alarms blaring and being attacked from all sides. This happened in every single main assassination, and I didn't have the patience to do it over proper.

I also enjoyed the story but found it a bit hard to follow at times, with all the twists and people reporting to other people. Again that might be my own problem with simply missing things.

Regardless of all that, the setting and atmosphere in the game were great and I liked the Arno/Elise relationship. Will hopefully have some time to dive into the DLC at some point, it sounds really cool.
Felt the same way about the assassinations. There always seemed to be some clever way I was supposed to figure out to get to a target undetected, but I rarely could. The missions made me feel very clumsy and inept and I'd end up doing things like run to a hiding place, throw a smoke bomb, and jump into it until the idiot guards lost interest. It's why I keep harping on the value of the Disguise ability, because it makes many of the unapproachable scenarios more approachable, and more enjoyable.
My only issue with the story was that I would often disagree with how Arno handled difficult situations and how behaved in general, but it was mostly serviceable. Wish there was more present day or even Precursor (or Forerunner, Prothean, Promethean, whatever) story elements to explore.

Crossing Eden

Felt the same way about the assassinations. There always seemed to be some clever way I was supposed to figure out to get to a target undetected, but I rarely could. The missions made me feel very clumsy and inept and I'd end up doing things like run to a hiding place, throw a smoke bomb, and jump into it until the idiot guards lost interest. It's why I keep harping on the value of the Disguise ability, because it makes many of the unapproachable scenarios more approachable, and more enjoyable.
My only issue with the story was that I would often disagree with how Arno handled difficult situations and how behaved in general, but it was mostly serviceable. Wish there was more present day or even Precursor (or Forerunner, Prothean, Promethean, whatever) story elements to explore.
There's two pretty big modern day twists in the game, one of which actually has an audio recording hidden still inside the game files but inaccessible with mods. But they're both relegated to text files that can be accessed through the helix missions.

God damn lol I got the disguise ability early because people recommended it and then I totally forgot it existed. Probably would have made things way easier...

Jebral

I'm on sequence 12 right now... I'd set the game down for a while to play Dragon Age and let them patch it up some. That disguise ability, I ignored it because it seemed so silly and immersion breaking to me. But now on these end game missions... Good God, some of them are just so obnoxious. I know people were complaining about the games being easy, and they were, but the solution is not to fill the game with loads of super guards that gang bang you to death before you can even tell what happened :/ Every good thing about this game is weighed down by some other, irritating aspect. If it was a person, I would love to slap it across the face and tell it to get it's act together.

I initially thought I enjoyed the way it played more than 3 and 4, because hey! Crouch button! Actual stealth! But I'm starting to lean pretty heavily back in their direction. I just wish that someday, someone would cobble together all the good parts of the various AC games into one cohesive whole.

Seems to be a forever long pattern of one step forward, one, maybe two steps back.

Omni

Finally got around to beating this. Been busy with other games.

Well I think it's a step up above ACIII/Black Flag and IV. I had a lot of fun playing but the story was pretty meh. At the very least I knew what was happening throughout the entire campaign which was nice as other AC games have the tendency to be incredibly disjointed

But god damn it why did they have to kill Elise? She's a fantastic character. I'd honestly play a game with her alone
. Why ubisoft why

Crossing Eden

Cross post from other thread.
Just found out that apparently Uplay.com tracks your stats and compares them with the overall stats of everyone who played the game. Also it seems I was mistaken yesterday, the only classic character outfit that's restricted to the phone app is the altair outfit. Still haven't played Dead Kings yet, will later today.
3JQ9UAb.png

bumpkin

I did the entire UNity Companion App and Altairs uniform didn't unlock.

Serious bullshit right there.
I have a bunch of Paris Story icons missing from my in-game map that I unlocked in the Companion App. So annoying since I need to complete them to get the "Completed all single player missions" achievement. :(

benzy

I did the entire UNity Companion App and Altairs uniform didn't unlock.

Serious bullshit right there.

It turns out the hundreds of hours spent completing the Pantheon Companion App missions are just to unlock the in-game Helix Rift missions, which you have to then go into the actual game and search for a bunch of randomly placed Rift Artifacts in the Helix Rift Missions. Before ANY of the Rift Mission icons even show up on the map, it turns out you have to find the first murder mystery mission. And in order for ANY of the Nomad Rift artifacts to even show up in the Helix Rift missions, you have to completely finish all Les Invalides and all Pantheon companion app missions, otherwise they won't show up. Once you collect all the artifacts, the Altair outfit will unlock.

Fucking Ubisoft. Fuck you. I'm done with this series.

stab-big.gif

Top Bottom