• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

It turns out the hundreds of hours spent completing the Pantheon Companion App missions are just to unlock the in-game Helix Rift missions, which you have to then go into the actual game and search for a bunch of randomly placed Rift Artifacts in the Helix Rift Missions. Before ANY of the Rift Mission icons even show up on the map, it turns out you have to find the first murder mystery mission. And in order for ANY of the Nomad Rift artifacts to even show up in the Helix Rift missions, you have to completely finish all Les Invalides and all Pantheon companion app missions, otherwise they won't show up. Once you collect all the artifacts, the Altair outfit will unlock.

Fucking Ubisoft. Fuck you. I'm done with this series.

stab-big.gif

Wow

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
It turns out the hundreds of hours spent completing the Pantheon Companion App missions are just to unlock the in-game Helix Rift missions, which you have to then go into the actual game and search for a bunch of randomly placed Rift Artifacts in the Helix Rift Missions. Before ANY of the Rift Mission icons even show up on the map, it turns out you have to find the first murder mystery mission. And in order for ANY of the Nomad Rift artifacts to even show up in the Helix Rift missions, you have to completely finish all Les Invalides and all Pantheon companion app missions, otherwise they won't show up. Once you collect all the artifacts, the Altair outfit will unlock.

stab-big.gif
I think they may have overestimated what people would wanna go through for the Altair outfit. Should've been included with initiates like all the other ones.

Dawg

The phone app is annoying too. I did a mission with like 93% success rate and I lost all 3 assassins because they died.

That's just shitty.

Mogwai

I think they may have overestimated what people would wanna go through for the Altair outfit. Should've been included with initiates like all the other ones.

It's just a complete mess. There are unlocks from Uplay points, the Companion App and Initiates. And in Unity there are 4 currencies for unlocking stuff as well. Nobody wants all that crap. I bet Ubisoft's game developers believe they are pretty smart. But honestly, it's just confusing and messy.

I often picture Ubisoft like a kitchen with 20 chefs throwing ingredients into the same pot. It's destined to fail.

Crossing Eden

It's just a complete mess. There are unlocks from Uplay points, the Companion App and Initiates. And in Unity there are 4 currencies for unlocking stuff as well. Nobody wants all that crap. I bet Ubisoft's game developers believe they are pretty smart. But honestly, it's just confusing and messy.

I often picture Ubisoft like a kitchen with 20 chefs throwing ingredients into the same pot. It's destined to fail.
Only 2 currencies, franks, and the helix points from microtransactions, ignore the microtransactions and you have 1, the other one, "creed points," is for upgrading only.

Dawg

I really hope AC V will keep the upgrade system. Customizing my assassin and buying better weapons and gear is one of my favourite things in Unity.

Also, for all I care they finally drop regular MP and keep the co-op. It makes much more sense and I'm tired of grinding ranks in MP for the platinum. It's why I never 100%ed AC games after AC II.

I really hope AC V will keep the upgrade system. Customizing my assassin and buying better weapons and gear is one of my favourite things in Unity.

Also, for all I care they finally drop regular MP and keep the co-op. It makes much more sense and I'm tired of grinding ranks in MP for the platinum. It's why I never 100%ed AC games after AC II.

I hope they get rid of that system, at least for skills. Weapons and gear is fine, but the skill system needs to go.

Having to spend points to unlock lockpicking, double assassinations, special combat moves? It's pointless. It doesn't feel like progression, it feels like parts of the game were walled off behind an arbitrary in-game currency. I actively detest its presence in AC:U.

Ade

Only 2 currencies, franks, and the helix points from microtransactions, ignore the microtransactions and you have 1, the other one, "creed points," is for upgrading only.

Franks, Helix Points, Creed Points and then the other one in the companion app, Nomad Points makes 4.

Yes you can ignore some, but its annoying, overcomplex and just a mess.

I enjoyed the game, but some aspects (such as getting Altairs outfit) were just completely painful. Theres too much shit to do on the map as busywork and having to "buy" abilities just seems really quite odd.

Dawg

I hope they get rid of that system, at least for skills. Weapons and gear is fine, but the skill system needs to go.

Having to spend points to unlock lockpicking, double assassinations, special combat moves? It's pointless. It doesn't feel like progression, it feels like parts of the game were walled off behind an arbitrary in-game currency. I actively detest its presence in AC:U.

Oh yeah, I agree about the skills. Not being able to open chests you encounter because you have level 1 lockpicking and it's a level 3 chest? Meh. Same goes to not being able to 100% a mission because you don't have a certain bomb or move unlocked :/

But the gear can stay! :D

Crossing Eden

Franks, Helix Points, Creed Points and then the other one in the companion app, Nomad Points makes 4.

Yes you can ignore some, but its annoying, overcomplex and just a mess.

I enjoyed the game, but some aspects (such as getting Altairs outfit) were just completely painful. Theres too much shit to do on the map as busywork and having to "buy" abilities just seems really quite odd.
What are nomad points for?

Ade

The companion app has assassin recruits?! That's what people were talking about?

Yes, you need to recruit and train assassins in the companion app. Thats done via Nomad points, which are earned in app (and via Unity) or can be purchased using UPlay points (more currencies) The "Premium" version of the app even comes with exclusive assassins.

So if you want the "full" experience, you're potentially looking at 5 currencies, and an extra real life spend on the "premium" companion app.

(And then of course wasting weeks (seriously, no choice there) on the companion app.

Crossing Eden

Yes, you need to recruit and train assassins in the companion app. Thats done via Nomad points, which are earned in app (and via Unity) or can be purchased using UPlay points (more currencies) The "Premium" version of the app even comes with exclusive assassins.

So if you want the "full" experience, you're potentially looking at 5 currencies, and an extra real life spend on the "premium" companion app.

(And then of course wasting weeks (seriously, no choice there) on the companion app.
So basically it's an app version of the brotherhood mechanic from ACB,R, and 3?

Ade

The chests and cockades fill the most space. Less noticeable in 4 because the map was so open. But it's WAY less cluttered if you zoom in.

Doesn't make it any less overwhelming the first time you go to the map. There's say too much shit to do, what's worse is that there's stuff on there at the start you cant get till later, so just clutter.

(and more stuff gets added too!)

Oh yeah, you also cant even see all the fucking cocades anyway, unless you spend via microtransactions to reveal the ones not on the map

Crossing Eden

Doesn't make it any less overwhelming the first time you go to the map. There's say too much shit to do, what's worse is that there's stuff on there at the start you cant get till later, so just clutter.

(and more stuff gets added too!)

Oh yeah, you also cant even see all the fucking cocades anyway, unless you spend via microtransactions to reveal the ones not on the map
Or look up a guide since we have internet. Yes it is underwhelming but it gets easier to view when you get the chests. So many lockpicks...can you imagine how much it would suck if the game still had the AC3 lockpicking?

Ade

Or look up a guide since we have internet. Yes it is underwhelming but it gets easier to view when you get the chests. So many lockpicks...can you imagine how much it would suck if the game still had the AC3 lockpicking?

As much as you feel the need to shield the game from any criticism even you must admit that they've gone a little too far with the busywork, multiple nonsense currencies and crappy integration with stuff like initiates and the companion app.

There's a great game in here (most fun I've had since Brotherhood) and I love the franchise ( I even spent way to long on Recollections and Rearmed) but they really need to pair this shit back in Victory.

Dawg

The lockpicking is the worst part about the chests. Especially level 3 chests. Not difficult, but time consuming.

I'm going through all of them for the platinum and it's obvious how much copy/paste work there. I can't tell you how many houses I've been in with the same layout: few enemies downstairs, a locked gate upstairs and a few other guards. And then you get the locked chest.

Booooooooring, but I want the platinum so I can leave this game behind :p

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

stab-big.gif

Jesus, what a joke.

I really hope that none of you jump through all of these hoops to unlock this. It is complete horseshit, and anybody who does it is giving Ubi the message that it's okay.

The old costumes should just be unlocked how they were before: rewards for the people who've got them logged on their uPlay accounts.

Omni

You guys think we'll get another game with Arno? Gotta say, I'm enjoying him a lot. Seems like a waste to throw him away. And his story isn't close to finished. But yanno. Ubisoft seems to love throwing away great characters for no reason (I'm not bitter at all)

emag

Okay, who thought this was a good idea?

B7ZpJPxIgAAqxWF.jpg:large

The map view as a whole is a lot worse than that of Ezio games. The 3D view with tilt and rotation controls is entirely gratuitous and makes it much more difficult to read.

Despite the largely monochromatic icons of the older games, they were still pretty easy to understand (and manual control of icon visibility was great, too):

Dawg

I'm almost at the end of treasure chest hunting and I've got to say... this is by far the worst Assassin's Creed collectible trophy I have ever done. I'm so tired of lockpicking. The worst ones are where you have to lockpick the door first and then the chest. Waste of time and only makes it more annoying.

If they want to fill their city with chests, fine, but don't make a trophy for it ever again :p In previous games, I was always happy there was no chest trophy because AC games have a huge amount of chests. Why did they add the trophy now? I swear to god it's a way to make people play their game longer now that the grindy MP trophies are gone!

OK, so I got this over the holidays and I'm generally enjoying it. The assassinations are much better, Paris is a great venue, and I like how combat is much harder now.

I've been fiddling about with the companion app, but it seems pretty poor (overcomplicated, slow, boring, poor rewards) and has no in-game reason to exist compared to Kenway's Fleet.
If all I get is the Altair outfit, and a few chests with a few thousand francs - then I don't see the point.

I think I found the NeoGAF club. It wasn't full but nor was it accepting invitations.
If it's okay, can someone invite me (PSN: HeyMickeyH)

So how's this game holding up on Xbox One in terms of the bugs? I got a code for it from a friend but I'm holding off on downloading it until it's been fixed up.

Dawg

I keep ending up alone in co-op missions :(

I'd rather have the timer keep searching instead of starting a 4 player mission alone.

Just finished the game. Didn't give a shit about any of the characters and don't feel like the love story worked in the way they hoped.

The ending confused me:
What happened with the whole modern day Sage storyline? Very poorly executed IMO. So are they saying Arno hid the body or something?

malfcn

The progression system is a bit of a chore. T0 get enough sync points you have to beat the story and online. There should have been online specific skills. I feel like everything should be unlocked near the end of the story so you feel like a true bad ass.

This is the first economy in AC that I don't have enough to unlock much. I tend to play my games very conservative with currency if I feel it is scarce.
With only a few upgrades I have 48,000f and 78,000ap. Didn't do the Safe stuff while playing the story. Now the fetch and grind stuff..

And trying to open the Initiates from the menu still breaks the game for me.
It fails, and then I cannot move Arno unless I fast travel or quit and reboot the game.

Crossing Eden

The progression system is a bit of a chore. T0 get enough sync points you have to beat the story and online. There should have been online specific skills. I feel like everything should be unlocked near the end of the story so you feel like a true bad ass.

This is the first economy in AC that I don't have enough to unlock much. I tend to play my games very conservative with currency if I feel it is scarce.
With only a few upgrades I have 48,000f and 78,000ap. Didn't do the Safe stuff while playing the story. Now the fetch and grind stuff..

And trying to open the Initiates from the menu still breaks the game for me.
It fails, and then I cannot move Arno unless I fast travel or quit and reboot the game.
There are online specific skills, like communal sense or group disguise. And you can beat all of the side stuff solo. Try heists and Paris stories for easy money.

malfcn

There are online specific skills, like communal sense or group disguise. And you can beat all of the side stuff solo. Try heists and Paris stories for easy money.

I think I have 8 points left over and have a few attacks, and money pouch left to upgrade. My style is to rarely if ever put points into health. So I have the lock picking and execution points with the blade upgrades. What I meant was that the non-online skills should all be able to be purchased without doing online missions.

Haven't done any online missions yet.
Deciding if I want to do heists and stuff, or the puzzles or just into the DLC.
All the talk above about the brutal collecting sounds scary.
And that is coming from someone that has pretty much done all the non-mp/dlc achievements for all the games.

Need to pickup Rogue too.

Crossing Eden

I think I have 8 points left over and have a few attacks, and money pouch left to upgrade. My style is to rarely if ever put points into health. So I have the lock picking and execution points with the blade upgrades. What I meant was that the non-online skills should all be able to be purchased without doing online missions.

Haven't done any online missions yet.
Deciding if I want to do heists and stuff, or the puzzles or just into the DLC.
All the talk above about the brutal collecting sounds scary.
And that is coming from someone that has pretty much done all the non-mp/dlc achievements for all the games.

Need to pickup Rogue too.
Try getting the disguise skill. Also the Paris stories aren't really about collecting, there are some fetch quests sure but there are plenty of interesting ones. Also the final heist is the only one you truly need to do as it's technically the easiest to exploit if you know where to go.

ta155

I have major issues with Unity, but goddamn do Ubisoft know how to recreate a historical setting. Paris is just incredible to look at, which is why I'm so much looking forward to them exploring my neck of the woods in Victory.

And I kind of hate myself for it.

Crossing Eden

I have major issues with Unity, but goddamn do Ubisoft know how to recreate a historical setting. Paris is just incredible to look at, which is why I'm so much looking forward to them exploring my neck of the woods in Victory.

And I kind of hate myself for it.
Damn right.
mgtkzv.gif

I recall when people were saying that the game was downgraded due to those crappy compressed to hell and back ps4 shots.

jem0208

Damn right.
mgtkzv.gif

I recall when people were saying that the game was downgraded due to those crappy compressed to hell and back ps4 shots.

This game is by far and away the prettiest game I have ever played. The detail of Paris alone is enough to make me ignore the major issues with the game.

Crossing Eden

This game is by far and away the prettiest game I have ever played. The detail of Paris alone is enough to make me ignore the major issues with the game.
Same, although hopefully with Victory they'll have ironed out some of the issues with the new version of the game engine, like they did before with AC2 after AC1 or AC4 after AC3. Definitely the most detailed world on next gen so far with all those interiors and nooks and crannies. Will be paying close attention to their GDC conference since they'll apparently be discussing their ideas for how to polish the engine and tech more.

SJRB

Gold Member
Unity is a visual masterpiece. Ubisoft art team deserves nothing but the highest praise, absolutely amazing.

Same goes for the animation team. There must be a million unique NPC animations, everytime I play I see an NPC do something I've never seen before.

Dawg

I really recommend doing the riddle sidequests in the DLC.

The one handed sword you get is so good. The chance on hit to stun all nearby enemies is great!

SJRB

Gold Member
Just did the first two missions in the Dead Kings DLC. I like the dreary and depressing atmosphere, it reminds me of Forlì in ACII. If I'd live in either place I'd probably kill myself. Or just, you know, move someplace else.

I thought my game was glitched at first when you randomly "glitch" into your default outfit at the start, but after restarting I realised that's actually part of the game, haha.

Top Bottom