• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

Corgi

Banned
seriously why not hook it somehow to an actual game?

Heck that AC pirates game on mobile is actually pretty good with really good graphics for mobile.

Bebpo

Banned
In the same boat, I'm playing through it but this is must be the worst implementation of forced hooks to other mediums I've seen, to the point it feels like they focused more on that than the core game itself. In terms of the side content, I had the same issue with Watch Dogs but it feels like ubi have given up having any context for them, in AC2, all the side missions and collectables were given some in game context, even if it was "your sister lost all her feathers, go find them", and they're introduction was staggered to ease you into them. Here, after the tutorial everything's plonked on your map without any reason, all at once and just an "off you go" while the actual interesting side content like the cafe and social clubs aren't even introduced, you're just expected to find them amongst the dozens of icons on the screen and seem to be fairly easy to miss.

AC3 side content was when it got bad. So much time spent running through the frontier collecting stuff and doing side quests with almost no context (and filling out the fog of war since viewpoints don't help was the dumbest thing ever). The tall tales sidequests are basically the precursor to the Paris Stories sidequests in Unity, but Unity does them so.much.better and they're actually fun now. Oh and remember the UNDERGROUND where to unlock shortcuts you have to run around a dumb maze for hours, ugh.

AC4 while I love the game and 100%'d it, holy shit the grind to collect every damn chest/fragment on every little island you had to swim out to and swim back from was a real burn. The side content was mixed, assassination contracts were great, the 4 big ship battles were AWESOME, underwater was alright, hunting was ok. But collectibles were so tiring.

AC5 is a little better, fewer collectibles, they usually give you a reason to check out a certain area that sidequests might not visit, and the sidequests have more context than the AC3/4 ones with the continuing Paris stories or the murder mysteries and the glyph riddles are real fun. They're still not super meaty and many come down to "go here and stab this guy and run away", but it's an improvement over 3/4 for sure. A good chunk of the missions have neat enemy layouts (the last mission for the Cafe is excellent stealth challenge), or goofy weird shit like Satan fountains. After like 25 hours and clearing about 1/3rd of the districts 100% right now, I'm a little burnt out but still enjoying it and don't feel like it's a chore. The nomad/initiate chests are stupid and shouldn't be on the map and the map is still too clustered so even when you 100% an area, it's still not clean because all the shop icons and fast travel icons and social club icons. But it's enjoyable.

Mifune

Mehmber
The nomad/initiate chests are stupid and shouldn't be on the map and the map is still too clustered so even when you 100% an area, it's still not clean because all the shop icons and fast travel icons and social club icons. But it's enjoyable.

I have my map set up so it only shows me missions. The other stuff I'll run into on my own anyway.

Is there a way to force AC initiates to register my progress? It shows nothing at all on my account despite having them all li ked to uplay. I want that damn ezio outfit.

iNvid02

i hate that this game is weighed down with all this bullshit. the companion app is shit, and so is locking the legacy outfits behind it. iniaties doesnt work properly yet so cant access stuff thats locked behind there either. all these new collectibles just flood the map even more making it hard to find stuff without being selective. and theres too many currencies and pop up messages telling you to spend shit. not to mention the bugs and performance which the online part must be influencing somewhat. removing the modern day exploration was a mistake too.

witth that said, its the best AC in years and already a personal favourite.

hohoXD123

i hate that this game is weighed down with all this bullshit. the companion app is shit, and so is locking the legacy outfits behind it. iniaties doesnt work properly yet so cant access stuff thats locked behind there either. all these new collectibles just flood the map even more making it hard to find stuff without being selective. and theres too many currencies and pop up messages telling you to spend shit. not to mention the bugs and performance which the online part must be influencing somewhat. removing the modern day exploration was a mistake too.

witth that said, its the best AC in years and already a personal favourite.

Pretty much, probably my favourite after AC2 and AC:B if it wasn't bogged down with all this unnecessary shit.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, the setting is excellent, but it just feels like so much of their focus was on the bullshit business side of things.

I hate how little context is given to the French Revolution or Arno's actions in the world. I'm still on sequence 5, but really, not a whole lot makes sense. The modern day stuff is just an afterthought at this point, too. I liked how they handled it up through the ACII games, but this is just a joke now. It's unfortunate, because more and more "you're in the Matrix!" kind of crap pops up in the actual game world, which really takes me out of it. Even little things like the instant disguises and being able to just buy loot from a menu out of thin air. I feel more like I'm playing a video game within a video game than I do like I'm experiencing a piece of history. Shit sucks.

It's the best backdrop yet, which is why their squandering of it is really disappointing. I even like what little of Arno I've seen. Ugh... so frustrating.

Mifune

Mehmber
Yeah, the setting is excellent, but it just feels like so much of their focus was on the bullshit business side of things.

Truthfully a really small sliver of content is affected by the Companion app BS.

When I'm playing, anything related to that app is a big Nope. Same with Uplay. And that still leaves me about 98% of the game left. It's annoying but just skipping all of the side missions except for Club ones (which you mentioned earlier) is a drastic overreaction.

Skux

What's worse than Initiates not working right is the companion app chests that after like 2 days of playing you start unlocking chests that give you....250F and that's it.

Like why bother spending all the time on the app constantly sending people on missions, waiting, managing your brotherhood to unlock chests that are pathetic. They should at least give you unique items/equip or sync points or something.

That has always been the issue with preorder/companion app content. It has to entice people into using it, but at the same time it can't offer a significantly substantial reward which will impact gameplay, because not everyone will preorder/have a smartphone, and people will complain that the best stuff is locked behind things they have no way to do. You can still get the Platinum/1000G without using AC Initiates or the companion app.

The companion app only unlocks a mid-tier gear set, and the Altair cosmetic outfit. Nice bonuses if you're a super fan of the series but nothing gamebreaking. AC Initiates gives you a bunch of cosmetic outfits which are a nice reward if you're a fan of the games and have played them (which is exactly what it is intended to do), but these have no affect on gameplay and even look out of place given the setting of the game.

And yes, I am jumping through the hoops to get it. Ubisoft games are crack for completionists like me. I just sent my agents on an 18 hour mission lol.

Well either way, with my absurdly high level initiates account I was able to get all the outfits so I think I'll be running around as Ezio while I clean up chests and whatnot.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
You have to finish the damn companion thing to get Altair's robes,,,, ugh.

You have to finish the damn companion thing to get Altair's robes,,,, ugh.

The sad thing is they could have made missions or them in the game instead. Hell maybe even some of those weird missions that drop you into another time. Just anything that made them remotely accessible, but instead we get this bullshit. I'm loving the game and almost everything about it, but the locked out content hidden behind a thousand hurdles is really dragging it down. I hate having content I can't get at especially when it includes my favorite outfit and a broken website.

Skux

Companion app tips

- Don't waste points hiring mid tier nomads. They have lower caps on their stats. You can grind the training missions until you can afford one with high level caps. The max stats are 10 for attack/defense/stealth. Look for assassins with at least 22 available points.

- Keep a blank spot in your brotherhood open, this lets you shop for better assassins until you get a good roster (pretty bad UI fail not letting you see available assassins if your roster is full).

- Unlock all viewpoints in Unity as soon as possible. This increases your brotherhood size.

- Heal your assassins if they are below 2/3 health before sending them on missions. They can take a lot of damage on harder missions.

- Renovate all social clubs as soon as possible. This is great for in Unity as it increases your income, but it also grants you bonus nomad points.

- The best ones I've found are (name/atk cap/def cap/stealth cap)
Charles Imbert 10/10/10 = 30
Simon Leblanc 10/10/10 = 30
Paul Ganchard 10/10/10 = 30
Marguerite Mignot 10/10/10 = 30
Marguerite Huet 9/9/9 = 27

other good hires:
Louise Auverlot 8/8/8 = 24
Thomas Simon 8/8/8 = 24
Anne Grelet 9/8/6 = 23
Jacques Cagnard 7/10/6 = 23
Elisabeth Roger 10/6/7 = 23
Nicolas Fribourg 6/7/10 = 23
Denis Varlet 9/7/6 = 22
Camille Bertau 7/6/9 = 22
Alexandre Garnier 6/9/7 = 22
Paul Morot 7/7/8 = 22

- Don't send all your best assassins to take a mid-level mission. Try to just hit the 100% success rate by mix-and-matching your high and low level assassins. This will help leave your high level ones to take on harder missions.

- When you unlock a chest, it holds the nomad until you unlock it or wait 24 hours. Collect the chest soon after it is available to get your guy back to use in missions.

AC3 side content was when it got bad. So much time spent running through the frontier collecting stuff and doing side quests with almost no context (and filling out the fog of war since viewpoints don't help was the dumbest thing ever). The tall tales sidequests are basically the precursor to the Paris Stories sidequests in Unity, but Unity does them so.much.better and they're actually fun now. Oh and remember the UNDERGROUND where to unlock shortcuts you have to run around a dumb maze for hours, ugh.

AC4 while I love the game and 100%'d it, holy shit the grind to collect every damn chest/fragment on every little island you had to swim out to and swim back from was a real burn. The side content was mixed, assassination contracts were great, the 4 big ship battles were AWESOME, underwater was alright, hunting was ok. But collectibles were so tiring.

AC5 is a little better, fewer collectibles, they usually give you a reason to check out a certain area that sidequests might not visit, and the sidequests have more context than the AC3/4 ones with the continuing Paris stories or the murder mysteries and the glyph riddles are real fun. They're still not super meaty and many come down to "go here and stab this guy and run away", but it's an improvement over 3/4 for sure. A good chunk of the missions have neat enemy layouts (the last mission for the Cafe is excellent stealth challenge), or goofy weird shit like Satan fountains. After like 25 hours and clearing about 1/3rd of the districts 100% right now, I'm a little burnt out but still enjoying it and don't feel like it's a chore. The nomad/initiate chests are stupid and shouldn't be on the map and the map is still too clustered so even when you 100% an area, it's still not clean because all the shop icons and fast travel icons and social club icons. But it's enjoyable.

Completely agree, especially about 4, I just gave up on even trying to 100% that one. I just think that Brotherhood (Thought it was 2 that had the different guilds, but looks like I was wrong) did it perfectly by guiding you to each side quest via a main mission iirc, then opened up the rest to you from that. Loved the thieves/fighters/courtesan guild stuff.

RedAssedApe

Banned

I hate how little context is given to the French Revolution or Arno's actions in the world. I'm still on sequence 5, but really, not a whole lot makes sense. The modern day stuff is just an afterthought at this point, too. I liked how they handled it up through the ACII games, but this is just a joke now. It's unfortunate, because more and more "you're in the Matrix!" kind of crap pops up in the actual game world, which really takes me out of it. Even little things like the instant disguises and being able to just buy loot from a menu out of thin air. I feel more like I'm playing a video game within a video game than I do like I'm experiencing a piece of history. Shit sucks.

It's the best backdrop yet, which is why their squandering of it is really disappointing. I even like what little of Arno I've seen. Ugh... so frustrating.

Kind of felt the same. Those early chapters were a bit slow going. The story got a lot more interesting around chapter 7 and you start to see how assassins and Templars tie in to the history. Hoping it holds up.

Klocker

so I'd rather not read the whole thread, but can someone just confirm , are the aggravating "sync lost" failure on tailing and eavesdrop missions gone and replaced with something more organic now?

Is there something I need to do?

there shouldnt be. When I asked about it on reddit at release, people suggested going back into all AC games(which I no longer own) to maybe trigger them again. Some of mine just showed up in the last update they did to initiates, its far from being complete though. They might just show up whenever the next update to it is

so I'd rather not read the whole thread, but can someone just confirm , are the aggravating "sync lost" failure on tailing and eavesdrop missions gone and replaced with something more organic now?

Theres no real eavesdropping missions anymore and maybe 2 tailing missions which are very easy and short.

Skux

The tailing mission I did no longer fails if you lose sight. You can maintain sight using eagle vision, and if the counter runs out, you simply have to find them again.

Dantis

This game is so good. My one criticism is that sometimes it kind of feels like the cutscenes are too short (Never thought I'd say that about an Assassin's Creed game!). I feel like there are points where Arno knows things and I'm just sat there thinking "How does he know that and I don't?".

I'm loving it otherwise though. Easily my favourite Assassin's Creed game.

Any PC(or console) players that experienced the 0x600001 error have it work yet? I've tried every day since release for co-op and still haven't been able to play it.

Klocker

Theres no real eavesdropping missions anymore and maybe 2 tailing missions which are very easy and short.

The tailing mission I did no longer fails if you lose sight. You can maintain sight using eagle vision, and if the counter runs out, you simply have to find them again.

sweet thanks. have been continuing my Black Flag game from last years release and was remembering why I was getting so annoyed.

will probably get this once a couple of patches hit

I have this strange bug.

Maybe its this mission im doing thats bugged, for that theater place, but I keep freezing.

Like my character will be stuck and can't move but I can still rotate the camera and stuff.

I have this strange bug.

Maybe its this mission im doing thats bugged, for that theater place, but I keep freezing.

Like my character will be stuck and can't move but I can still rotate the camera and stuff.

I've had this happen to me. Just keep toggling eagle vision on and off while tapping the jump button to be able to move again. Worked for me at least.

Amory

Man this game is brutally difficult compared to previous entries in the series. I think i'm probably just underpowered and found myself in a tough area, but forget taking on 3 or 4 dudes by myself, at least at this point. Im dead in seconds

Man this game is brutally difficult compared to previous entries in the series. I think i'm probably just underpowered and found myself in a tough area, but forget taking on 3 or 4 dudes by myself, at least at this point. Im dead in seconds

Stealth is a bigger factor earlier in the game. Once you get towards the end, you're more or less a god.

Remember to use smoke and to quick fire your pistol. 3 to 4 enemies shouldn't be that bad at a medium strength lvl. Also btw, the small diamonds above the enemies heads represent their strength and difficulty level.

Amory

Remember to use smoke and to quick fire your pistol. 3 to 4 enemies shouldn't be that bad at a medium strength lvl. Also btw, the small diamonds above the enemies heads represent their strength and difficulty level.

thanks, hadn't even used smoke bombs yet, haha

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Some of these companion app missions have wait times of 10 fucking hours. Which you have to actually wait 9 times in total to get the outfit... 90 hours or waiting?

wtf.

Seriously. wtf.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Truthfully a really small sliver of content is affected by the Companion app BS.

When I'm playing, anything related to that app is a big Nope. Same with Uplay. And that still leaves me about 98% of the game left. It's annoying but just skipping all of the side missions except for Club ones (which you mentioned earlier) is a drastic overreaction.

I understand that, but it's all just so "in your face," or at least it feels that way to me. Never had chests be so frustrating in a game.

I'll probably still do the Nostradamus Enigmas and maybe some of the murder mysteries, but I've just become kind of disenchanted with the game. I'm going to beeline the main quest for a bit to advance things and hopefully find something to like about the story.

There definitely is a lot of clutter in this game, and a lack of focus in introducing and handling all the content. It's like being in school trying to make sense of it all.

And because it's the tentpole franchise, AC has to be the guinea pig and whipping boy for every cockamamie new idea or money-making scheme Ubisoft gets. And why are there like three different currencies? It's not like the game didn't already have enough going on.

But there's also a lot of good content in there. Even if you ignore all the annoying stuff, it's still packed with things to do. They definitely didn't skimp on the side missions.

Mifune

Mehmber
I understand that, but it's all just so "in your face," or at least it feels that way to me. Never had chests be so frustrating in a game.

I'll probably still do the Nostradamus Enigmas and maybe some of the murder mysteries, but I've just become kind of disenchanted with the game. I'm going to beeline the main quest for a bit to advance things and hopefully find something to like about the story.

I hear ya. Just know that some of the Paris Stories missions are really fun and well integrated with Paris and historical setting.

All of them except rogue, ofc nothing is showing up in Unity and yes I linked uplay.

how do i link my old AC games?

I can navigate to this page on the uPlay site.
jbg9joGHjgLMGP.png

Kevyt

I just started AC Unity on PC, and there's a 792 mb patch, I haven't played the game since Thursday, does anyone know what this patch is about?

Top Bottom