• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

Skyzard

Banned
This game raises the bar for immersion in action adventure games for me. Looking forward to the future.

I didn't want to leave it to install FC4.

-leonidas, accepted fr on uplay, I didn't see your neogaf post a while back to add you myself (googled uplay id showed the post ha).

Also I've seen like 2 black people in this game. I see none on the streets walking about though.

cackhyena

God, I love that I can tackle these missions so many ways. Actual stealth, janky as it can be in its various forms, is a serious welcome to a series about assassins. Tackling these social club missions is fun as fuck because it's all my own way. No linear bullshit.

crazyprac

Lol just started this, but what the hell that quest 2 empty cathedral fps drop is unreal. Overall though when it runs great it looks great. I don't get what killing from hidden spot? Like hiding in haystack/closet then assassinate? Story seems decent enough. I like the different approaches you can unlock to finish quest.

Hawkmosis

Banned
I was having fun with this game on the brand new Xbox One but it did crash like 3-4 times and get maaad slow down.
Now that Im flush with other games, might as well just wait for a patch.......or three.....

Lol just started this, but what the hell that quest 2 empty cathedral fps drop is unreal. Overall though when it runs great it looks great. I don't get what killing from hidden spot? Like hiding in haystack/closet then assassinate? Story seems decent enough. I like the different approaches you can unlock to finish quest.

Yeah, killing from a hidden spot just means a closet thing/haystack. The trick is to get a guard to notice you just before you go into hiding. In old AC games, you could just whistle while hiding to get their attention, but they took that out for some reason.

Just saw a FarCry 4 commercial and the narrator/player character(?) sounded like Noah Watts (Connor) which prompted me to search IMDB. I see he isn't in FC4 but that he's still listed as rumored for AC:U. Anything regarding Connor? Hints to dlc hidden on the disc/files?

kjzau9W.png

Perfection

Kevyt

This game raises the bar for immersion in action adventure games for me. Looking forward to the future.

I didn't want to leave it to install FC4.

-leonidas, accepted fr on uplay, I didn't see your neogaf post a while back to add you myself (googled uplay id showed the post ha).

Also I've seen like 2 black people in this game. I see none on the streets walking about though.

Thanks! So how do we join Gaf clan for PC? I see one for Xbox but not PC

Skux

Yeah, killing from a hidden spot just means a closet thing/haystack. The trick is to get a guard to notice you just before you go into hiding. In old AC games, you could just whistle while hiding to get their attention, but they took that out for some reason.

If you need help luring guards you can also use cherry bombs.

Technical problems aside this is one of my favorite assassin's Creed games and the only one I've beat start to finish within a week, last time I did that was the original. I love how assassination missions were handled and you do it whichever way you please. If they fix everything wrong with this then the future is bright for AC.

Fixed1979

I gotta say, I'm really not having much fun with this game, it seems nearly every time I play for a bit it's a struggle to keep going. Technical issues aside, having chest on the map I can't open, and missions that are well above my level is really irksome, I like clearing a section and moving on, and I can't do that. Working your way to gold chest that you're not high enough level to open or a locked chest you're locksmith level is too low for sucks. And the map is just rammed with shit, it seems to be either too full of shit or it's really not showing what I need. I dug the companion app for BF as it was a way to get ahead when you weren't able to play, having this shit forced on me is simply not enjoyable.

Bitching aside, I really like the AC series and will attempt to get through this hoping that it will eventually click with me...

I do have a question though, I have a story assassination mission, and along the way I picked up a Nostradamus riddle...it seems like I can't go back and "track" the assassination missions now as "Solve the first riddle" is stuck on my screen.

I have over $60 in Xbox Live Rewards and was ready to spend it on Unity but after hearing about all the problems I don't know if I should. The second choice was to get Shadow of Mordor but I'm still not sure what to get.

I know it's not the best place to ask but I don't want to create another topic just to ask this, so GAF if anyone played both games, which one would you get if you had to choose one?

Just got to sequence... 2? Once you become an assassin and it abruptly dumps all your abilities on you. Played for a couple hours so far and I'm feeling like I'm finally done with this series. It's just deflating. AC was my favorite series last gen but it feels like Ubi just doesn't care anymore. The spark is gone, something about it just doesn't feel as compelling as it used to. I see the side objectives and instead of going "I can't wait to clear this map" I go "it just looks like they barfed up a lot of dots." And the story... I guess we're already a few games past them caring about the story, so I suppose I was at least prepared for that one.

K' Dash

Guys I need help, I was in the middle of Marats Murder and accidentally started a co-op mission, then it failed to connect, now my map does not show where to go next to start looking for clues :/

I went to the tracker and made sure it said TRACK but the map shows nothing about the murder.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

zkorejo

Guys I need help, I was in the middle of Marats Murder and accidentally started a co-op mission, then it failed to connect, now my map does not show where to go next to start looking for clues :/

I went to the tracker and made sure it said TRACK but the map shows nothing about the murder.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Whenever the game gets weird I get Arno killed on purpose / or fast travel. That may help.

MattyG

Banned
Just finished sequence 7. HOLY SHIT
WWII server bridge was AMAZING. I'm going to be very disappointed if we never get a full WWII AC game, which we probably won't.
Yeah it's going to be rough having so many games to play.
Yeah man its brutal, all these game to play, oh the humanity!

Didn't even realize how "first world problem-y" (I hate the term but it's the only applicable one right now) that sounded when I posted it lol.

sjay1994

Welp.....

dEhnxsW.png

This was probably the worst assassins creed I've played. The new parkor system is great, and I like the new combat....

But the game is so technically unstable, the mp and co op isn't worth much, and the plot is pretty eh. Not to mention it is so ridiculously hard to maintain stealth. Everytime I have tried it blows up in my face and is a clusterfuck, and unlike FarCry or Watch Dogs, that clusterfuck isn't enjoyable to deal with.

This game has really shaken my faith in the series. I can only hope they listen to the criticism and slow down the release schedule. But who am I kidding.... there is going to be another game next year.

I have the season pass for this, since I wanted to check out china.... maybe they will fix some of the issues by the time dead kings is out. But Unity has really shaken me.

Corgi

Banned
Welp.....

dEhnxsW.png

This was probably the worst assassins creed I've played. The new parkor system is great, and I like the new combat....

But the game is so technically unstable, the mp and co op isn't worth much, and the plot is pretty eh. Not to mention it is so ridiculously hard to maintain stealth. Everytime I have tried it blows up in my face and is a clusterfuck, and unlike FarCry or Watch Dogs, that clusterfuck isn't enjoyable to deal with.

This game has really shaken my faith in the series. I can only hope they listen to the criticism and slow down the release schedule. But who am I kidding.... there is going to be another game next year.

I have the season pass for this, since I wanted to check out china.... maybe they will fix some of the issues by the time dead kings is out. But Unity has really shaken me.
I'm surprised you can even platinum the game in its current state. Would expect at least a few glitched trophies.

Do any require initiation or the mobile app?

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I'm surprised you can even platinum the game in its current state. Would expect at least a few glitched trophies.

Do any require initiation or the mobile app?
The master architect trophy is glitched for myself and others.

taking time out of far cry and other new games to try get chests from the companion app I unlocked. I can no longer open them in the game, it just says to play the app to unlock them. They are connected and syncd properly. i restarted ps4 and my phone, which usually fixes it, but not this time. Guess I will just wait the 24 hours from now on so my assassin can grab it for me. Done with this shit

Atedos

nah I was just being dramatic. You'll see where I'm coming from though.

Finished the game yesterday, and I don't really understand you.
The ending
is sad, yeah, but sort of expected. And I can't say it's bad just because it is sad.
BTW Germain's remains twist at the very end was kinda interesting and unexpected.

The Skills system in this game is really dumb. Locking away moves that all your previous assassins had is bad enough (you have to buy the ability to sit on a bench, for God's sake), but it seems like half the skills in the game are completely useless. I bought the Ground Execution move to try and get that Trophy, and when I went out and used it I just got the same old hidden blade stab you can do by default. Started up the training mission for the move at the Cafe Theatre, and that still doesn't even show you how to do it (they literally train you for the wrong move). I eventually had to go on Youtube to find out that you have to use your Staggering Strike like four times on the same dude to knock him to the ground, then you can do a Ground Execution. What a complete waste of time.

There's one called the Roll Recovery, which lets you press Circle just before you land from a hard fall to roll and avoid damage. That might have been useful in the old AC games, but Unity doesn't let you fall and hurt yourself. This game locks you onto a wall if it detects that you're too high up; it won't allow you let go no matter how much you mash the 'Drop' button. The only times I've actually fallen and taken damage are when I fast-travel to a viewpoint, try to fall into the haycart and have the game decide that I obviously wanted to just leap out into empty air instead, and that's an instant death every time.

Anyway, I've just spent the whole day trying to find all the chests, and I've cleared out almost all the ones on my map but the little information popup in the map screen says I only have 5/10 or 12/15 chests in a lot of the districts. Can anyone who's found all the chests shed some light on that? I've noticed that a lot of icons don't get revealed simply from synchronising viewpoints, like the Murder Mysteries that only pop up when you physically approach them, but if I have to go running up and down every street in Paris to get these last chests to show up I think I'm probably going to snap my disc in half.

Anyway, I've just spent the whole day trying to find all the chests, and I've cleared out almost all the ones on my map but the little information popup in the map screen says I only have 5/10 or 12/15 chests in a lot of the districts. Can anyone who's found all the chests shed some light on that? I've noticed that a lot of icons don't get revealed simply from synchronising viewpoints, like the Murder Mysteries that only pop up when you physically approach them, but if I have to go running up and down every street in Paris to get these last chests to show up I think I'm probably going to snap my disc in half.

The game gives you helix credits at some point. I just used them on the collectible maps. Those reveal everything. Hit start, estore, then time saver I believe. They are in there

//ARCANUM

I know there's lots of hate for this game but I just played about an hour of it (got a digital code for about $20 on the buy sell trade thread) and found it pretty fun.

There's one called the Roll Recovery, which lets you press Circle just before you land from a hard fall to roll and avoid damage. That might have been useful in the old AC games, but Unity doesn't let you fall and hurt yourself. This game locks you onto a wall if it detects that you're too high up; it won't allow you let go no matter how much you mash the 'Drop' button. The only times I've actually fallen and taken damage are when I fast-travel to a viewpoint, try to fall into the haycart and have the game decide that I obviously wanted to just leap out into empty air instead, and that's an instant death every time.

To be fair you can wall eject at any height you just can't drop. This was likely down so the 'free drop' system couldn't kill you.
Also my advice for the chests would be to use the helix points the game gives you to buy the timesaver pack which reveals all of the chests and cockades. That will save you a lot of headache.

The game gives you helix credits at some point. I just used them on the collectible maps. Those reveal everything. Hit start, estore, then time saver I believe. They are in there

Also my advice for the chests would be to use the helix points the game gives you to buy the timesaver pack which reveals all of the chests and cockades. That will save you a lot of headache.

Oh, cool, thanks guys. I'd never even opened up the Estore :p

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
AC Initiates still doesn't have a sync function yet? Stupid website. The old version used for Black Flag worked fine and synced my history so I was level 14 and gave me a.... Sail! Now I can't get past level 1 when there's actual stuff I'd like from it.

Just finished the game. All achievements and what not as well. Only thing that's left are a dozen or so Paris Story missions that I'll likely go back and clean up at some point.

I really, really enjoyed it. Most fun I've had with an AC game since Revelations and I definitely feel like Unity is on par with AC2 even. The technical issues have been well documented but, frustrating as they may be, I didn't feel like they took away any of my enjoyment from the game.

My GOTY is pretty much between this and Sunset Overdrive but I think I'm leaning toward Unity just because I enjoyed the narrative a bit more. Hopefully Ubisoft can take the things that are great about Unity and build on them. The mission design, especially the assassinations, were among the best in the series and the freedom in how you tackle a mission is something that was long overdue. In my opinion it definitely feels like a step forward for the AC franchise and I'm excited to see where they go from here.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
To be fair you can wall eject at any height you just can't drop. This was likely down so the 'free drop' system couldn't kill you.
I haven't bought any timesavers yet chests and cockades show up on my map, what gives?

RedAssedApe

Banned
One thing that really frustrates me in this game is the cover. Half the time the game tells me there is cover I cant get into it. Also you can't swap onto adjacent walls without getting out of cover. wtf

Not sure if cover is just bugged or what but these are things that watch dogs handled so much more seamlessly and should be second nature in a game like this. This feels like gta iv levels of jank. Kind of annoyed that a lot of games still do cover worse than the original gears of war...

ISee

No idea if new or already posted by someone. So sell me for 0,99$ if old...

In this Interview Tony Key (Senior Vice President, Sales and Marketing, Ubisoft) reveals the ulitmaitve goal of Ubisofts DLC and microtransactions strategy: Make a 60$ consumer into a 200$ consumer over time.

A publisher wanting us consumers to pay more money fo our games is not shocking, I'd even call it common knowledge. But they really expect us consumers to spend 60$ for a retail copy and 140$ for DLC and ingame stuff you can buy with "microtransactions". Ridiculous and extremly greedy..

Source:Youtube Video by MrBoBoTom

B-Dex

Well tbh they failed at useful micro trans in this because they are all useless unless you're ridiculously impatient.

Kabouter

Well tbh they failed at useful micro trans in this because they are all useless unless you're ridiculously impatient.

I think what they're looking for is in part the mobile model, where a small segment of players spend very large sums of money on a game to skip lengthier progression. The major downside of this is that if you want to really push microtransactions as hard as games on Android or iOS, you're going to have to make progression a lot longer, with hours of waiting or grinding that can be skipped by microtransactions.

Top Bottom