• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

Ok, I'm at sequence 5 now, and the story, (yeah I know, but I like to follow the story in the games), I just am not following, not sure what I'm missing but this is what I've gotten so far:

So Arno's "adoptive father, for a lack of a better word, gets killed, turns out he was a Templar, Arno joins the assassin's to learn the ropes, as his father was an assassin, so uhm, wouldn't the assassin's be the prime suspects for the killing of de Lassere? But no, apparently not, other Templars did the deed, but why in all hells are the assassin's pursuing the killer, are they going to thank him? why are they so interested in finding a Templars killer, I just am not following. I mean I get why it's important to Arno, but why is the Brotherhood so interested?

Also spoilers for Letter 2 you can read in Arno's apartment, this isn't as much "I don't get the story" more like "who the hell wrote this crap?":
Elise is appalled Arno's joined the assassins, thinks the Templars are much better, etc. etc., and then finishes the letter saying the order has turned against her... what? I mean... The order has turned against her, but the Templars are still better?

Someone tell me I've missed something, but please, no spoilers for sequences after 5.

The story is atrocious and never explains anything you mentioned. Seriously, just rush through it and play the much more enjoyable side missions.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Ok, I'm at sequence 5 now, and the story, (yeah I know, but I like to follow the story in the games), I just am not following, not sure what I'm missing but this is what I've gotten so far:

So Arno's "adoptive father, for a lack of a better word, gets killed, turns out he was a Templar, Arno joins the assassin's to learn the ropes, as his father was an assassin, so uhm, wouldn't the assassin's be the prime suspects for the killing of de Lassere? But no, apparently not, other Templars did the deed, but why in all hells are the assassin's pursuing the killer, are they going to thank him? why are they so interested in finding a Templars killer, I just am not following. I mean I get why it's important to Arno, but why is the Brotherhood so interested?

Also spoilers for Letter 2 you can read in Arno's apartment, this isn't as much "I don't get the story" more like "who the hell wrote this crap?":
Elise is appalled Arno's joined the assassins, thinks the Templars are much better, etc. etc., and then finishes the letter saying the order has turned against her... what? I mean... The order has turned against her, but the Templars are still better?

Someone tell me I've missed something, but please, no spoilers for sequences after 5.

Pretty sure the story had some serious re-writes along the way.

Paganmoon

Pretty sure the story had some serious re-writes along the way.

Re-writes sounds about right. Also getting the feeling they recorded tons of English dialog for a London setting or something, and then just said "fuckit, we'll use them for Paris", pretty jarring, hearing French from some random passer-byes, and then a few steps later, some other random passer-by, speaks perfect British.

There's much more wrong with this game than just the framerate, but what the hell, it's Assassin's Creed. I'm having fun.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

Years pass from when Arno gets inducted into the order and becomes an assassin to the first mission where you're wearing an assassin outfit and "graduate" from being an apprentice. Arno saw Sivert and naturally would probably know that he's a templar, especially considering that the templars and assassins were supposed to have some sort of truce. The assassins don't support Arno's quest and chastise him for trying to pursue a personal vendetta in this scene. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kDam0URckw. And since the assassins are still assuming that the templars want peace at this point, they believe that finding the grandmaster's killer would lead to an even more positive truce. They aren't fully supportive of Arno's pleas.

From my understanding:

This branch of the Assassin Brotherhood isn't exactly the most effective bunch in the series. They were able to strike some kind of truce with the deceased Grand Master De La Serre. If I recall correctly, Arno quickly discovers and reports to the Brotherhood that this murder was a conspiracy by Templar conspirators in order to enact a philosophical and methodological shift in the Order. Going after De La Serre's murder is a necessity because the new lot running the Templars are supposedly worse.

And as for Elise, I don't really know. All I know is that she's driven pretty much solely by vengeance, and I've no solid bearings on where her philosophies lie apart from the generic "I am a Templar" angle. In fact, I don't even know what her father stood for to allow a truce between the Assassins and Templars anyway. Unity first and foremost is more interested in doing a love story.

EDIT: Yeah, Crossing Eden explained it better, haha.

Kevyt

Hi everyone - if you sent a request via the game interface to join the PC social club (Neogaf) and you have not yet been added, please send another request or pm me here. The game crashed as I was accepting people's requests to join the club this morning, so I'm not sure that everyone who wanted to join actually got in.

Alternatively, you can pm me here on Gaf to be added, but note that you'll need to add me as a friend on Uplay PC for me to send you an invite to the social club (Ubisoft's fault). There's only two ways to join:

1.) you either search for the club name, Neogaf, via the in-game interface and send a request to join.

2.) you pm me here and send me a friend request via Uplay PC (Uplay nick is luxarific) and then I'll add you and send you an invite to the club.

I understand not wanting to add people on Uplay that you don't know, so just use method 1 if you don't want to add me as a friend on Uplay.

I was confused as to how to join a social club. I'll send you a friend request on Uplay my username is solkeher If anyone else wants to add me as a friend, you're more than welcome. As of now I'm part of Krappadizzle's best friend club but I told him I would want to eventually join Gaf's clan once I figured out how.

Re-writes sounds about right. Also getting the feeling they recorded tons of English dialog for a London setting or something, and then just said "fuckit, we'll use them for Paris", pretty jarring, hearing French from some random passer-byes, and then a few steps later, some other random passer-by, speaks perfect British.

There's much more wrong with this game than just the framerate, but what the hell, it's Assassin's Creed. I'm having fun.

There's a quote from Ubisoft floating around that explains it well. Apparently, the French accent we hear in movies isn't the right one, so instead of implementing an incorrect "movie" accent or using a French accent that will throw everyone off, they chose a British accent. Stupid but I understand better now.

Skux

There's a quote from Ubisoft floating around that explains it well. Apparently, the French accent we hear in movies isn't the right one, so instead of implementing an incorrect "movie" accent or using a French accent that will throw everyone off, they chose a British accent. Stupid but I understand better now.

It's a common trope from film - the depiction of something, when repeated enough times, eventually becomes seen as more authentic and realistic than the actual factual/historical thing that it was supposed to represent.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheQueensLatin

Giving the characters non-British accents (American, Australian, Canadian, etc.) ought to be just as acceptable as giving them British ones, but this is usually avoided, because it makes the characters sound "inauthentic". Britain's long history causes British accents to seem somehow "older" — they are used to suggest a sense of antiquity. This is actually inaccurate from a linguistic perspective; the modern British accents actually represent a more evolved form of English. Older English accents were closer to modern Irish and American accents.

Due to our understanding of English they can also play on tropes with slang, intonation and accent to imply social status or background - hence the guards having cockney accents and the nobility speaking with a London or received pronunciation accent.

I would have been happy with English spoken in French accents, but I guarantee that you would have had a lot more complaints about that, than we had about English spoken in British accents. People would have said it sounded 'weird' and 'annoying' because they're so used to seeing everyone from Romans to Vikings to colonial Americans speaking with British accents.

my app just reset. I can try connecting it directly to my game to fix it...but on its own, it shows I have done nothing. If this is really wiped, absolutely fuck getting 100% sync

Edit: yep, tried connecting to my game, still wiped. You have got to be kidding me with this shit. Who thought this was a good idea. I put so much time in this fucking thing already

Station42

Just finished seq 2 and I am liking Unity so far. The only other AC I really liked was AC1 (yes I have played most of the others).

I have a question: I have switched off all HUD elements in the HUD options (hidden), but the game still points out destinations for missions and even annoying tutorial dialogs (USE EAGLE VISION, etc) in topical moments that completely ruin them for me. Is there a way to switch this crap off?

It would be a dream to be able to play this game without the typical AAA crazy handholding.

UrbanRats

my app just reset. I can try connecting it directly to my game to fix it...but on its own, it shows I have done nothing. If this is really wiped, absolutely fuck getting 100% sync

Edit: yep, tried connecting to my game, still wiped. You have got to be kidding me with this shit. Who thought this was a good idea. I put so much time in this fucking thing already

The same dumbass who thought microtransaction would be great for the game, and so on.

Yasae

Banned
Controls are incredibly clunky and laggy in this game (a by product of having such extreme animation priority), so having that level of punishment is just annoying to me.
Just sticking to a goddamn wall is an ordeal.

I don't have problems playing games that have decent controls and gameplay at higher level of punishment, though (Dark Souls, Bayonetta or, to have a stealth example, Blacklist).
--
Anyway, i tried doing a coop mission and half way through it, the game made its classic "freeze for 5 seconds" bug, that i've been getting a lot post patch, and once it unfroze, i was stuck in the geometry.. had to wait for my companions to finish the job alone.
Not a big deal since they were dramatically over leveled for the mission, but just frustrating how every two steps this game shits the bed somehow.

I'm thinking of waiting for them to fix it a bit more, instead of ruining myself the experience, because i kind of dig the story this time around.
Was it a hard freeze or a frozen in time kind of freeze (can pan the camera)?

UrbanRats

the microtransactions are worth nothing, they dont matter at all. The game gives u enough for free to buy anything that is worth a shit, collectible maps.

Right, but they create bloat and clutter, which this game has a lot of already.
Probably my biggest problem with it right now, aside from the buggyness, it's uselessly overbearing.

Was it a hard freeze or a frozen in time kind of freeze (can pan the camera)?

Hard freeze.
You'd think the game crashed, but it unfreezes after about 5 seconds.

I'm on PC, btw.

I traded it in this morning...

I got up to the point where you get control of the theatre.

I was doing one of the theatre missions and had to level up my gear for one of them.
It's just too heavy on the microtransactions, or the companion apps for the chests.

I know that people wanted customisable outfits, but did anyone want stats applied to their clothing?
Did anyone want to connect to Uplay for some of the chests?
And the companion app stuff, it's on IOS and Android, but not on windows phone... there are some people who wont have an apple or google device, so some stuff is locked out for those people.
And then there are temporary boosts, and temporary premium boosts... there is just too much drive to incentivise microtransations.

It's a shame, because I really liked Paris, and I was looking forward to wandering around during the revolution. It's just a damn shame.

mujun

I'm not really enjoying this. I can't seem to muster the desire to boot it up over a replay of Borderlands: The Pre-sequel.

I really enjoyed Black Flag though the main missions did piss me off most of the way through it and I gave up on it.

First off the map. I went and climbed all the vantage points. I always do that. A mistake in retrospect as now the map is way too cluttered. I know that I can filter but it's still a pain in the ass.

I tried to veer off the main path a few times but it didn't do much for me. First off, the two or three that I tried (a Baphomet and a few Cafe missions) were very samey. Kills some dudes guarding something and then grab the something. Not very interesting.

Second, one I tried to do and after accepting it I had no idea where to go or what to do. I seemingly got no indicator on the map (or it was just too damned hard to find) and after trying to figure it out after five minutes I just did a different side mission.

All this leads me to my main gripe with the game (and it's something that every game in the series has suffered from to one degree or another), there is just too much damned B.S. in the way of the actual meat of the game and the meat itself just doesn't seem that good in this one. Confusing menus, too much packed into small areas, at times painful traversal with people in the way and gaps between buildings, etc. I love open world games but I need them to give me almost instant access to whatever it is that I want to do. Far Cry 3 did that, Saint's Row 4 did that, Borderlands does that. There is just too much that gets in the way and it spoils the fun for me.

It is beautiful, however. The city is also incredibly realized with great details. It's a real pleasure to move through the environment at times. The characters are cool at the early stage I'm at but it does seem very very similar to earlier games in many respects. I also haven't had any problems with glitches or the frame rate (apart from the frame rate hitting like one frame a second in a beautifully lit cathedral near the start).

Dead

well not really...yet
Surprised there are a few who aren't getting the truce part of storyline. Seemed fairly spelled out without having a character outright yelling "TRUCE!!!!!!"

UrbanRats

I was doing one of the theatre missions and had to level up my gear for one of them.
It's just too heavy on the microtransactions, or the companion apps for the chests.

I know that people wanted customisable outfits, but did anyone want stats applied to their clothing?
And the companion app stuff, it's on IOS and Android, but not on windows phone... there are some people who wont have an apple or google device, so some stuff is locked out for those people.
And then there are temporary boosts, and temporary premium boosts... there is just too much drive to incentivise microtransations.

It's a shame, because I really liked Paris, and I was looking forward to wandering around during the revolution. It's just a damn shame.

I have a windows tablet and can use the app, are you sure it's not available on Win Phones?
Anyhow, i get what you mean, the game can be incredibly irritating at times.

Crossing Eden

You can get money so easily that the microtransactions are only for those who're very impatient, sounds like you were very early into the game.

Corgi

Banned
making money is simple. for ps4, leave console on stand in front of cafe chest. remote play every hour or 2 from vita/android phone.

for pc, just alt tab and do other things lol.

I dont get how the guards work in this game.

There I am just free roaming minding my own business walking down a street and just doing that attracts the attention of guards?

But Im not doing anything.

How am I different from all the other people?

And then if I just stand around still doing nothing and not moving on they will then attack me?

mujun

There I am just free roaming minding my own business walking down a street and just doing that attracts the attention of guards?

And then if I just stand around still doing nothing and not moving on they will then attack me?

I remember at one point they talked about a certain type of guard that recognizes you by your face as an assassin. That might be it?

There's a tooltip that pops up at some point saying that Extremists can recognise you as an Assassin for... some reason. If you run past those guys dressed in red they always pop into caution mode, and if you bump into them the go into alert mode. I don't know why Ubisoft insists on having guys like that in every AC game, they're a real pain.

Crossing Eden

I had over a million monies by the time I was done with the game, that was after buying the best gear I had access to
I just did a few rift missions back to back for half an hour, had 47K after I was done. Those are really fun btw, framerate is super smooth during them due to the lack of NPCs.

slop101

Banned
Then why did they used Italian accents instead of British accents in the Enzio trilogy? They were "incorrect" as well, but they just sounded better with the setting.

Crossing Eden

Then why did they used Italian accents instead of British accents in the Enzio trilogy? They were "incorrect" as well, but they just sounded better with the setting.
Different creative directors. And quite frankly those were some really bad italian accents.

fernoca

I remember at one point they talked about a certain type of guard that recognizes you by your face as an assassin. That might be it?
Yep..kinda.
Blue guards are general guards that work for the city and follow order. So you can run, but not push anyone.

Red guards are paid by the Templars and like to cause problems. They get suspicious (yellow) when you're close, because they know you're an assassin.

AdanVC

So, who's ready to shave his beard like a tRu Assasin from the French Revolution and get exclusive content at the same time?
tumblr_nf9u7rP7WI1qf1n77o1_1280.jpg

Source

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Lol the companion app. 93% chance of success...

FAILED
three assassins dead.

87% chance of success on one of the "training ground" missions...

FAILED
two brand new and fairly expensive assassins dead.

You can lose assassins on the "training" missions. Okay. Dats some intense training. Why oh why did they lock content behind this stupid thing?

So, who's ready to shave his beard like a tRu Assasin from the French Revolution and get exclusive content at the same time?

those were all universal codes

Lol the companion app. 93% chance of success...

FAILED
three assassins dead.

87% chance of success on one of the "training ground" missions...

FAILED
two brand new and fairly expensive assassins dead.

You can lose assassins on the "training" missions. Okay. Dats some intense training. Why oh why did they lock content behind this stupid thing?

I dont ever send them out unless its 100%. I dont even know why I am still playing this shit, all my stuff got wiped today

Omni

I'm up to sequence 4. Really enjoying it so far. Frame rate problems aside. It reminds me of ACII

I do have a question. Is there a way to save and quit on Xbox One? I have no idea how to do it. I'm worried I'll quit the game one time and it won't save my progress

Paganmoon

The app is available in the Windows 8 Store (both for RT and Desktop/Pro devices), and on the Windows Phone 8 store. And get this, it was available -day and date- with the Android/iPhone versions, granted we had to wait 4 extra days for the patch that fixed nomad bug, but it's there and it works and I'm actually playing it right now at work, on my Lumia 1020.

Herne

I would love to hear the explanations of some of the people who designed this game. In one mission I spoke to a guy who had a very obvious Brummie accent, and when the conversation ended, he started speaking in French in a different voice and without the accent. Now that's immersion!

Another was talk of the Dauphin, Louis Charles, rumoured to be in Paris. So I do the mission, and "the prince, Louis Charles" turns out to be a full grown adult (in 1792, Louis Charles was seven years of age) with an incredibly cliched pompous attitude, talking down to Arno as if he were lower than the dirt beneath his feet. Turns out he's not the prince (duh) but his groom. This might be okay if we treat time in the game as inconsequential, but it very clearly states that it's 1792. Arno just did the mission in the Tuileries Palace which means the royal family have been moved from the Tuileries to the Temple, so the real Louis Charles was very definitely IN Paris. Arno's ignorance of the Dauphin's age aside (unlikely given he grew up in Versailles - never mind that probably 99% of the population knew back then, from noble to commoner), the shock and surprise of people claiming "The prince is in Paris?!" really goes to show the lack of thought put into some of these missions.

does this game have some kind of input lag with the smoke bombs? I can't seem to trigger a normal throw and end up spamming the button only to throw three in a row a second later, wasting a bunch

The app is available in the Windows 8 Store (both for RT and Desktop/Pro devices), and on the Windows Phone 8 store. And get this, it was available -day and date- with the Android/iPhone versions, granted we had to wait 4 extra days for the patch that fixed nomad bug, but it's there and it works and I'm actually playing it right now at work, on my Lumia 1020.

Motherfuckers... does their advertising even mention the WP version?

Moloch

Neo Member

if i was a guard and saw some person running around with swords/guns i would consider them suspicious as well

also, making money is so easy, do the "it belongs in a museum" heist online, and with a decent group youll be earning 50-70k every 10 minutes or so

I'm up to sequence 4. Really enjoying it so far. Frame rate problems aside. It reminds me of ACII

I do have a question. Is there a way to save and quit on Xbox One? I have no idea how to do it. I'm worried I'll quit the game one time and it won't save my progress
I spent like 10 minutes searching the menus for a save and return to main menu button when I first got it.

But there is non you just have to quit the game.

Bricky

The more I play of this game (Sequence 10), the more I realise this is both the best and worst Assassin's Creed has ever been. Paris is the pinnacle of AC world design and a true next-gen experience (especially on PC). Massive city, massive crowds making the city feel alive, tons of enterable buildings, etc. In a way this is everything people have wished from an open world game from years. But then the game just ends up... underutilizing it. It's hard to explain: I know this whole world is incredibly impressive and I somehow feel like I should be in awe, but after an hour or two the game just feels like another Assassin's Creed. It doesn't really matter that Paris is impressive is what I think I'm trying to say, and that is a shame.

The gameplay itself is a mixed bag. It feels like it honestly tried to be a big upgrade, but instead ended up feeling like a downgrade from games as far back as AC2. Combat finally isn't brainless buttonmashing/countering anymore, but it feels janky and unresponsive to such extent that I'd rather go back to buttonmashing at this point. It just isn't much fun.

The dedicated button for freerunning up and down buildings is great and gets rid of the annoying accidental suicide jumps often present in previous games. The new animations are great too. But once again actually controlling Arno just feels sluggish and imprecise. When it works it works, but there are way to many extremely frustrating times when Arno just runs wherever the fuck he wants instead of where I want him to go.

Stealth is one of the things I actually quite like here, but it's kinda simple and easily ruined by things that don't feel like they're your fault (Arno not getting into cover quick enough, Arno climbing up something instead of quickly and stealthily running by)

That is probably the best way too summarize my main problem with the gameplay: it just feels like it is actively working against what you're trying to do. Previous AC games weren't perfect, but at least they were responsive. In Unity I've actually had a mission I needed to restart ten times because the game kept fucking up.

Another disappointment is the mission design. Your first assassination feels like this really cool Hitman lite mission setup and actually works out quite well, but every assassination afterwards (thus far) just feels kinda forces into that template rather than designed for it. Most side objectives/opportunities end up being rather pointless and most of the sequences are just too linear to really work with such an open setup.

At the end of the day this is an enjoyable game, but one of wasted potential. If anything it makes me more excited for the next Assassin's Creed than for Unity itself. I began playing it thinking it was a next-gen AC2, but in a way it might be more of a next-gen AC1.

I'll finish the game later today but if I had to give it a rating right now it would be a 7.5/10.

bharatiyedu

Neo Member
The NPC count for me is more annoying than creating any kind of immersion. They just seem to be in the way when combat is going on and at times with big group of enemies i actually feel overwhelmed.

The amount of collectibles in the game is way too much. Who ever though of this?

And the minimap has to be one of the worst in the series. So many little things which were working well in the other iterations are un-necessarily made complex and this is ruining my enjoyment of the game

Was playing through a mission yesterday and randomly the NPC's have disappeared and the mission reset itself

http://xboxclips.com/video.php?uid=...Ravz&vid=fceac4c1-5b3d-4027-a0a4-ce8b22211e00

Kabouter

I have to say, not once have I ever felt any pressure to use microtransactions, there's as far as I can tell nothing locked behind microtransactions. The companion app stuff just doesn't matter at all.

Top Bottom