• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I like the game so far. It's an impressive achievement but there are a lot of technical issues. Hope they fix it soon.

Also, any idea on how to solve the first riddle?

I'm actually enjoying the game more than I expected to after all the backlash. Paris is one of the best (if not THE best) city in the series. The exploration/animations are great, and there's a lot of content in the game. The characters seem pretty likable so far, but I'm not super far - Arno and Elise are great, though. I hate seeing chests I can't open without using some dumb app though, so pointless.

A dumb complaint maybe, but I really love how Arno looks in his default assassin outfit, so getting gear that upgrades my stats puts me in a weird place. I'd rather keep is default outfit on for looks, but then I'd be missing out on some more health, stealth, etc. lol

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I'm actually enjoying the game more than I expected to after all the backlash. Paris is one of the best (if not THE best) city in the series. The exploration/animations are great, and there's a lot of content in the game. The characters seem pretty likable so far, but I'm not super far - Arno and Elise are great, though. I hate seeing chests I can't open without using some dumb app though, so pointless.

A dumb complaint maybe, but I really love how Arno looks in his default assassin outfit, so getting gear that upgrades my stats puts me in a weird place. I'd rather keep is default outfit on for looks, but then I'd be missing out on some more health, stealth, etc. lol
There's two different versions of the default outfit that look almost identical. The one from e3 is the upgraded version. Just be prepared for one shot deaths from snipers. ._.

cackhyena

Curious that they took out the ..whatever it used to be on buildings that let you swing to quick turn corners from last games. Shutters? Idk.

The NPC count for me is more annoying than creating any kind of immersion. They just seem to be in the way when combat is going on and at times with big group of enemies i actually feel overwhelmed.

The amount of collectibles in the game is way too much. Who ever though of this?

And the minimap has to be one of the worst in the series. So many little things which were working well in the other iterations are un-necessarily made complex and this is ruining my enjoyment of the game

Was playing through a mission yesterday and randomly the NPC's have disappeared and the mission reset itself

http://xboxclips.com/video.php?uid=...Ravz&vid=fceac4c1-5b3d-4027-a0a4-ce8b22211e00

The crowds do get annoying. They could really have shaved off half the number and it would have been fine.

Wasn't it like flower pots or something?

Yes! There's a lot of little crap that's missing that I miss. Where are the grassy areas to hide in?

I feel like they should have made the Kenway games more of a spin-off because they went in another direction with a lot of stuff...and then we swung back in the other direction with this game.

Makes me wonder what the first "next-gen" game from the III-IV-Rouge folks will be like.

There's two different versions of the default outfit that look almost identical. The one from e3 is the upgraded version. Just be prepared for one shot deaths from snipers. ._.

Oh? Do I have to do something to unlock other version of the default outfit? I haven't looked too much in the customization menus yet. Nor have i upgraded anything yet.

Does arno ever get facial hair? Can't take baby face assassins seriously.

He gets some in cutscenes and a little bit after that during some time skips, but after you become an assassin, he goes back to shaving apparently. But not completely - there's stubble, lol.

Enjoyed AC1, 2 and BF.

Worth $30 to get on xb1? I love france and paris so really want to dive in. sad about framerate tbh

Totally worth it. Especially for 30 bucks. I'm playing on PS4 and having a blast. Framerate is fine, just little dips here and there. Pop-In is the bigger problem imo. It's perfectly playable. Don't listen to the haters.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Oh? Do I have to do something to unlock other version of the default outfit? I haven't looked too much in the customization menus yet. Nor have i upgraded anything yet.

He gets some in cutscenes and a little bit after that during some time skips, but after you become an assassin, he goes back to shaving apparently. But not completely - there's stubble, lol.
All of the items you can unlock have descriptions on how to unlock them if you can't just buy them with in-game currency, pretty sure most of the outfit is unlocked through playing the campaign.

does this game have some kind of input lag with the smoke bombs? I can't seem to trigger a normal throw and end up spamming the button only to throw three in a row a second later, wasting a bunch

That's just the way these games are designed, they're slow as shit. In combat you can tell that there isn't actually any technical input lag (at least not more than you'd expect with a 20FPS game), because you can parry an attack at the last moment without trouble. The sluggish, unresponsive controls are simply due to animation priority and design decisions. I'm pretty sure the developers want the game to control this way, so the way Arno only drops a bomb like two seconds after you press a button, or the way you have to hold L1 for a second before the aiming reticle comes up, or the way he takes a second to start moving when you jam forward on the analogue stick, or the way he only attacks a second after you press the attack button; that's all intentional. They did that shit on purpose. It blows my mind.

You know every now and then you get a DVD where it takes forever to navigate through the menus because there's a shitty, overlong animation between every single button press? Assassin's Creed is That: The Video Game.

I kind of liked the leads in the beginning of the game, these two little spoiled brats managed to worm out their welcome during the game. ending spoiler
I am glad stupid bitch got herself killed, good riddance!
They are hot headed, irresponsible and disrespect to the secret associations their sworn their allegiance to. Let's forget Elise for a second, did Arno ever bother to read the party guideline and manifesto of the Assassins? Dumb little kid should smoke some weed to compete his persona.

Well, at least I have comedy sidekick Napoleon to look forward to in the next game.

Also, cockney british yelling "bloody hell..." this is to be intentional. Or Ubisoft will blame it on Obstergo and think they are clever.

making money is simple. for ps4, leave console on stand in front of cafe chest. remote play every hour or 2 from vita/android phone.

for pc, just alt tab and do other things lol.

There is a limit on how much money you can put in your starbuck chain chest, you have to take out the money every so often.

UrbanRats

Put shadows on low (among other things i toned down, graphically) and... the freezes are still there, one even got me falling from up high, forcing me to use a medicine.
But wait, there's more, when i was changing the colors, the game crashed to desktop, AGAIN.

Yeah i think i'm gonna either wait for them to fix it to a playable state, or uninstall it and wait for, like, next year or something.
Hopefully they'll be fucking quick to fix this crap.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The NPC count for me is more annoying than creating any kind of immersion. They just seem to be in the way when combat is going on and at times with big group of enemies i actually feel overwhelmed.

The worst part is that they got rid of the ability to quickly and smoothly move through crowds without bowling people over. It used to be that you had the low profile "blend in" button assigned to A on the Xbox 360 controller, but they automated it in Unity. Problem is, your movement is slow as hell unless you're running and knocking people over.

Just finished it, long-winded thoughts incoming.

I have a real love/hate relationship with Assassin's Creed. Every year I buy the new game, hate the sluggish controls and the repetitive design, swear to myself that I'm done with the series, then Ubisoft gears up the marketing engine and gets me excited again by promising amazing new features. I figured I was done after Revelations, but then they promised a complete overhaul with 3. 3 sucked, and I swore I was done, but then 4 was advertised as the boat game, and I did love those boats. I liked AC4 a lot, and I figured it was going to be a good swansong for my relationship with the series, but then Unity rolled around and all of a sudden they're promising to fix the parkour, fix the stealth, fix the combat, get rid of the tailing and eavesdropping bullshit. Just when I thought I was out, they pulled me back in, like clockwork.

I think Unity is a decent Assassin's Creed game. If you only compare it to other AC games it does a lot of things right. The eavesdropping missions are gone, and there are only a couple of bullshit instant-fail tailing missions. You're very rarely given a game over for being spotted, which is a very welcome change. But I realised after a while that Ubisoft didn't really do anything except remove the penalties. The game's stealth mechanics aren't really any better than they used to be (all they did was let you crouch and use an awful cover system), you just aren't penalised for being spotted any more. It's just a bandaid solution to an issue that's been present throughout the entire life of the AC series.

It's a similar deal with the combat. They wanted to make it harder this time around, so you can't fight off forty guys all by yourself. Cool idea, to be sure, but they didn't actually go back to the drawing board on the mechanics and rebalance the game around a more fragile assassin. They just cut your health by about 90%, removed your counter kill, kill chain and human shield abilities and then called it a day. They still populate every mission with forty guys for you to kill, it's just much harder to kill them all now. Until you start unlocking high-level gear, that is, at which point you break the whole system and become a walking army again.

I like how they make fighting off 2-3 guys harder. However, you can basically smoke bomb and kill in any 2-5 guys situation, including most of the the steal, assassin missions and pretty much all boss fights.

The regular 20-30 second load times after deaths gave me ample time to ponder about just how much it sucks to get spotted because I couldn't steer my tank-like assassin through a narrow space without getting hung up on geometry, or exactly how much bullshit it is that enemies will one-hit kill me from off-screen and I won't know until it's too late because the attack icons that are supposed to warn me didn't show up. This kind of shit doesn't happen in good, high-quality, well-polished video games. Rocksteady's Batman games, for example, do pretty much all the things that AC does, and I'm hard-pressed to find anything that AC does better. Stealth, combat, traversal, responsiveness of controls; obviously AC has the edge if you're looking for a beautifully-rendered historical setting, but the actual gameplay in that city is heavy, sluggish and unresponsive, and it's been that way since the very first game.

And... why? Is a character that feels like shit to control really such an important part of Assassin's Creed's identity? Would it really ruin the experience if you pushed the analogue stick forward and your dude darted off the line and you were able to nimbly guide him through a city without him ever getting hung up on tables and chairs or randomly climbing halfway up a building before you have to stop dead, take a deep breath and pull him back down again? You don't need to sacrifice the realistic animations to have a character that controls well; Naughty Dog has proved that with Uncharted and TLOU. Why does Assassin's Creed have to be synonymous with shitty controls?

*sigh* Anyway, I really like Unity's more open approach to mission design. The big Assassination missions are definitely the highpoint, and they're a welcome change from the typical 'run to this waypoint and do exactly what we tell you to do'. The game still has more than its fair share of that, of course (if you ever wanted to follow NPCs who all walk at a different speed than you do, you're in the right place), but there's definitely more freedom than a long-suffering AC fan might expect. The Paris Tales are great little side missions that often just set you a task and leave it up to you to work out how to complete it; it's definitely a step in the right direction for the series. I think the Murder Mysteries are really cool, too; it's a little thing, but I was actually taken aback when I realised the game actually trusted me to accuse the murderer all by myself. I'm so accustomed to Modern AAA Game Design, tooltips and hints and glowing markers that I really expected those missions to just be automated collect-a-thons with cutscenes of Arno saving the day at the end; getting to do it myself is awesome.

The most annoying thing about the control is how Arno fucking stick on random ledge and wall when you want to quickly drop down to make a kill or when you try to run away from 20 guys (those fucking blue guys, they make so much damage in one hit!)

I think the story is utter rubbish.
The whole thing is about Arno taking revenge for his father and father figure, but I didn't give two shits about those dudes. It's all well and good to tell me that Arno was fond of them, but what did they ever do for me? Arno's Dad has like one line before he eats it, and Elise's Dad only a few more, so why should I care that they died? I'm not invested in this revenge fantasy at all. Elise practically had "I'm going to die at the end" tattooed on her forehead from the moment she showed up, too. It felt like they conceived her as a tearjerking death scene first, then went back and slotted her into the story to keep up appearances. Arno was never anything more than a bad accent to me, too. Connor at least had some awful character traits to latch onto and hate, but I can't even think of anything to say about Arno. I can barely even picture his face in my mind any more. Guy made no impression whatsoever.

Modern day stuff was a complete anticlimax, too. "Oh, looks like Arno already did the thing, guess we can all clock off early. Was Bishop supposed to be Rebecca with a different voice actress? Deacon was obviously Shaun, but I couldn't work out whether Bishop was supposed to be someone new or a recast Rebecca.

But, in the end, none of that matters because this shit runs at 20FPS and you should absolutely not buy it until Ubisoft fixes it. If they ever do get it running at an acceptable level then... well, it's an Assassin's Creed game. You know by now if you like those or not. I think there's a lot to like in Unity, but it's still a very small, iterative, babystep forward for the series that really does very little to fix the glaring flaws that have always been there.

Its one of the weakest story in the AC series (that in itself is an achievement). How hard is it to find some good melodramatic real life stories in this period? I am quite annoyed that Ubi didn't write a story that attempt to respect this revolutionary period.

Ubisoft is not even trying with the story anymore. I give them 9 out of 10 for the Paris crowd but the story is a 2 at best. The only time I was intrigued by the story was the drunk mission because I had no idea where the plot was going at that time so I actually sit up and pay attention. As it turned out that subplot didn't go anywhere.

As soon as I play the balloon mission I knew Elise was going to kick the bucket, and Ubi still managed to make me dislike her.
Also Elise's head, its on a higher contrast than the rest of the game (probably its a blending of 3d graphic and real life video capture), so weird compare to the rest of the game.

Overall I give it 3 out of 5 for the Paris overworld, the "surprise glitch" missions and the that early dreamscape cutscene.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I have to say, not once have I ever felt any pressure to use microtransactions, there's as far as I can tell nothing locked behind microtransactions. The companion app stuff just doesn't matter at all.

I think it's just more of how prominent the stuff is that is so off-putting. It's easy to get the impression that they focused more on pushing you to outside apps and services or microtransactions than actually enjoying the game world.

I love the number of crowds in the game. Makes it feel alive. I hope they don't drop the crowd number. they should fix the perf problems though, but don't sacrifice the hustle and bustle of the city.

UrbanRats

Overall I give it 3 out of 5 for the Paris overworld, the "surprise glitch" missions and the that early dreamscape cutscene.

You mean
the initiation one
? Good lord am i fed up with that shit, personally.
Cannot wait to have yet another Scarecrow sequence in Batman Arkham Knight, where Batman will relive his tragic loss, for the 4th time in a row.
For how unpredictable they're supposed to be, these sequences have become painfully trite.

I've had it on the ps4 version that when my smoke bombs finally work after 5+ button pressed that Arno just fucking stands there refusing to fight anyone in my own smoke bomb.

Is anyone doing the Nostradamus Riddles without a guide? It seems like they forgot to program in the green circles to point you towards the relevant parts of the map or something. Robert Langdon wouldn't be able to figure these out.

Bl@de

Is anyone doing the Nostradamus Riddles without a guide? It seems like they forgot to program in the green circles to point you towards the relevant parts of the map or something. Robert Langdon wouldn't be able to figure these out.

I love them ... Side quests (detective and nostradamus) finally picked up in difficulty with no green dots

Dahbomb

Yea these are insane without a guide. I did two without a guide but after the 3rd attempt I was like fuck it.

You need both intimate knowledge of Paris and be spamming Eagle vision on almost all of Paris while recording where you remember seeing which markings. For the most part they are around important landmarks/statues and there's an eerie sound cue that plays when you are near one but the obscure ones inside tunnels and shit are god damn impossible.

Just use a guide, it's not worth the frustration to try to do it on your own.

You mean
the initiation one
? Good lord am i fed up with that shit, personally.
Cannot wait to have yet another Scarecrow sequence in Batman Arkham Knight, where Batman will relive his tragic loss, for the 4th time in a row.
For how unpredictable they're supposed to be, these sequences have become painfully trite.

I like it. In your case, you should give the game a lower score than I did then. Hehe.

I suck so bad at stealth in this game, it's ridiculous. No matter how slowly I move, no matter how much I use Eagle Vision, there's always some motherfucker who'll suddenly appear behind me, see me and blow my cover. I've never had this much fights in an AC game's main story, ever.

Not to mention that they're so much harder because my Arno is still rocking some of the earlier weapons in the game. I just don't make enough money to buy the good stuff, and I'm not going to until they patch the game.

Totally worth it. Especially for 30 bucks. I'm playing on PS4 and having a blast. Framerate is fine, just little dips here and there. Pop-In is the bigger problem imo. It's perfectly playable. Don't listen to the haters.

Do I have to really tell you how dumb this statement is? So if the framerate is bad and people don't want to deal with sub 30 fps framerate that means they're haters? lol. The framerate is not fine at all, now it might not bother you, but that doesn't mean it's fine.

RedAssedApe

Banned
unityblog said:
We can tell you that we have detected a distinct discrepancy between what we observed in the pre-launch versus post-launch environment. In spite of our testing, it looks like the instruction queue is becoming overloaded and impacting performance. We have several fixes we are exploring right now and will continue to update you with our progress of what is working and how quickly we can implement these fixes in the game in the weeks ahead.

Meanwhile, we are looking at the following revisions that should improve framerate stability for all players:

Streamlining some technical aspects of navigation: We’ve fixed a number of edge cases with our detection system to smooth certain behaviors during parkour. We’ve fixed a few objects which were improperly tagged to smooth navigation.
Improving task scheduling: We’ve tuned the way the computing tasks are prioritized and parallelized by the processor cores to improve framerate in certain edge cases.
Tweaking performance for Reach High Points: We’ve optimized the reach high points, during the camera swooping sequence to improve framerate a little bit.

Though crowd size was something we looked at extensively pre-launch, it is something we continue to keep a close eye on. We have just finished a new round of tests on crowd size but have found it is not linked to this problem and does not improve frame rate, so we will be leaving crowds as they are.

find these blog posts kind of weird...haha

Corgi

Banned
Framerate is playable but I've definitely died a few times due to counter button just not working. Could be due to lag or the game just sucking in terms of response.

Night and day coming from bayonetta 1-2

I suck so bad at stealth in this game, it's ridiculous. No matter how slowly I move, no matter how much I use Eagle Vision, there's always some motherfucker who'll suddenly appear behind me, see me and blow my cover. I've never had this much fights in an AC game's main story, ever.

Not to mention that they're so much harder because my Arno is still rocking some of the earlier weapons in the game. I just don't make enough money to buy the good stuff, and I'm not going to until they patch the game.

There is a Cafe near your house. go there and talk with that lady she will give you five missions after that you will receive a lot of money each 10 minutes that you cant even spent.

There is a Cafe near your house. go there and talk with that lady she will give you five missions after that you will receive a lot of money each 10 minutes that you cant even spent.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind when I replay. Just finished the main story. :lol Gonna wait for a stability patch and replay.

This is actually one of the few games that I get serious headache if I play more than 4 hours. I suspect this is due to the inconsistent framerate.

I have to close my eyes whenever I go to the map to avoid the map/zoom-in animation. That zoom-in really hurts my head. I just beat it today and I put it on ebay right away.

I wish there is more tomb exploration like in AC2. I only remember one tomb-like exploration quest.

Coop is mad fun!

Gonna need to upgrade my dude, because there were a million guards to fight, but it was exactly what I'd hope AC online would be.

Anyone playing on Xbone feel free to add me for some coop: GT: Wheel Hoss 1

SJRB

Gold Member
Coop is mad fun!

Gonna need to upgrade my dude, because there were a million guards to fight, but it was exactly what I'd hope AC online would be.

Anyone playing on Xbone feel free to add me for some coop: GT: Wheel Hoss 1

With some proper teamwork the coop can be pretty damn cool for sure.

Carbonox

Doing co-op missions on your own and replaying sequences opens your eyes to the joy and fantastic set up of these missions. Along with the main sequence assassination missions, these are probably the best selection of missions the series has ever provided.

Really impressed in that area. This game is a rough gem for sure overall but what it does right by heck it does soooooo right.

cackhyena

Doing co-op missions on your own and replaying sequences opens your eyes to the joy and fantastic set up of these missions. Along with the main sequence assassination missions, these are probably the best selection of missions the series has ever provided.

Really impressed in that area. This game is a rough gem for sure overall but what it does right by heck it does soooooo right.
You watch your language!

Yasae

Banned
Put shadows on low (among other things i toned down, graphically) and... the freezes are still there, one even got me falling from up high, forcing me to use a medicine.
But wait, there's more, when i was changing the colors, the game crashed to desktop, AGAIN.

Yeah i think i'm gonna either wait for them to fix it to a playable state, or uninstall it and wait for, like, next year or something.
Hopefully they'll be fucking quick to fix this crap.
Interesting. I played for 3 hours with shadows on low and the problem never came up. It was once or twice hourly with shadows on PCSS.

Well, I don't know what to say. I'll look out for the problem but this one is top of the list in terms of bugs for me. I seriously thought my GPU was dying or something. It's the game unfortunately. Shameful.

Do the hard locks happen to anyone on PS4 or XB1?

SJRB

Gold Member
Interesting. I played for 3 hours with shadows on low and the problem never came up. It was once or twice hourly with shadows on PCSS.

Well, I don't know what to say. I'll look out for the problem but this one is top of the list in terms of bugs for me. I seriously thought my GPU was dying or something. It's the game unfortunately. Shameful.

I've played the game for well over 20 hours now [probably even 30], and had one instance where the game crashed to the PS4 dashboard.

Skux

Also, any idea on how to solve the first riddle?

Solutions are not too far from where you start, so look for something that resembles what you read

The lady of the domicile (meaning "permanent home")
Judges comings and goings
From her couch-like throne
At the top of the stair

Look for a woman at your home base (the Cafe Theatre), at the top of a flight of stairs.

Lowly sinners, as each we are
Aspire to the domed heav'ns
Fickle fate points beyond
Where a supine city Beckons

There is a "dome" above you. Look on the roof of the Cafe Theatre.

You will also hear a chime when you are close to the solution. If you do, examine things more closely and use Eagle Vision liberally. You can also equip certain items to increase the range, duration, and cooldown reduction on Eagle Vision.

i haven't been able to do the co-op missions since launch so today i tried something different and set up my PS4 with a static IP and put it into DMZ. it's fucking working now.

Wasp

So Initiates looks like this for everyone right, or is it just me?

cNUcmMp.jpg

It's been like this for me every single day since 12th November, both in-game and on the website.

Vhagar

Neo Member
So Initiates looks like this for everyone right, or is it just me?

It's been like this for me every single day since 12th November, both in-game and on the website.

Initiates is broken for just about everyone. It says I'm level 5 despite there not being game data for any previous AC's (I've finished all of them). Ubi says they're working on it but its really annoying that a lot of stuff in Unity is locked behind Initiates and theres no way to access any of that now.

Trakan

The coop missions are the best selection of missions they've ever done? Wow.

I think they're the worst I've ever seen from any AC game. Cramming 30 enemies into a couple of rooms just to accommodate 4 players is terrible game design. I have no idea how you're supposed to be able to do those sections stealthily.

I will admit that the assassination missions themselves are fantastic. I read a review before launch that said this was the best and worst AC game yet, and I understand what they meant now.

UrbanRats

Paradoxically, the freezes are more annoying than the CTD for me.
So far all the CTDs i've had were while changing costume's colors, so if i'm playing a difficult mission, i know i can avoid that particular thing to not risk losing progress.
Freezing on the other hand is very random, and can really screw you over if you're doing a long or difficult mission, not to mention the chance of getting stuck in geometry.

It's not only the simple thought of fucking up a mission though, it's also that i can't really concentrate on the story and get immersed, when i'm having to deal with this stuff so frequently, and fear when the next glitch will happen.

This is why i'm contemplating putting the game down until they get some more patches in, even though i really want to play it.

I do have to start Bayonetta 2 after all.

I'll see how it goes and decide.
-
On the good side, i think i prefer to play with shadows on low and no supersampling, but at higher framerate (though i can't reach 60 stable) than to have everything maxed + supersample but running at 30.
The input lag for me at 30 is just so much more annoying.

Top Bottom