• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

Skux

Is it worth making an Uplay account and linking it to this game? I say this because I dont even have an account for it and if its not needed I'll pass. I dont even want to use the companion app. I hate that kind of stuff.

Got the game yesterday, my first AC actually. Not sure how i feel about the single player campaign but I did some coop with friends and it was fun as hell.

It's not compulsory, but if you plan to play other AC or Ubisoft games then I'd recommend it. It's free and there are some nice extras you can get from it.

You can still platinum the game without it and the Uplay unlocks are for low-tier items that are easily outclassed by the stuff in the game. There are some other downloadables and cosmetic items which are just extra bonuses for fans but nothing gamebreaking you're missing out on.

Ledhead

I still have mission 10-11-12 to do. Made the mistake of starting Dragon Age Inquisition, so it might still be a while before I get back to finishing up AC.

Has the new patch for ps4 been released yet? I have the game but haven't played it yet. Waiting for some of the bugs and frame rate to be fixed.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
dont think ive seen a few of those animations either. espeically the first one that transitions from finisher to attacking another guy.

but then i rarely use 1h sword.

spears, dawg.
Yea there's so many animations and variations that I'm still finding new ones everytime I play the game. Really helps the longevity. The new parry animations blend so well that it's almost like an one long full animation sometimes.

And speaking of spears....
http://gfycat.com/PiercingEnviousDiscus
http://gfycat.com/GraciousPhonyAmericanbobtail

They are indeed quite badass.

Corgi

Banned
Yea there's so many animations and variations that I'm still finding new ones everytime I play the game. Really helps the longevity. The new parry animations blend so well that it's almost like an one long full animation sometimes.

And speaking of spears....
http://gfycat.com/PiercingEnviousDiscus
http://gfycat.com/GraciousPhonyAmericanbobtail

They are indeed quite badass.

they really do need to figure out how to make the basic combo animations flow and look better

the kill animations and counter animations and the dual kill animations in 3-4 are great. Now if they can get it to flow as well as batman does, they really could be on to something.

UrbanRats

they really do need to figure out how to make the basic combo animations flow and look better

the kill animations and counter animations and the dual kill animations in 3-4 are great. Now if they can get it to flow as well as batman does, they really could be on to something.

They actually need to make them much faster and much shorter.
Fighting in an AC game as always felt very clunky and boring for that reason, and even with a system that demands more attention, because it's more punishing (like Unity has) that problem remains and, paradoxically, is amplified.
The same for for stealth, parkour and everything involving controls.
They need to tone down animation priority and give the controls some more responsiveness.

The only big game i can think of right now that has animation priority as bad as AC, are GTA and RDR, which also aren't really that great to control.

If you take for example how good it feels to move and stealth around in Last of Us or Blacklist, and then play AC Unity, there's a huge gap, but it's not like those games are sacrificing good animations.

Corgi

Banned
They actually need to make them much faster and much shorter.
Fighting in an AC game as always felt very clunky and boring for that reason, and even with a system that demands more attention, because it's more punishing (like Unity has) that problem remains and, paradoxically, is amplified.
The same for for stealth, parkour and everything involving controls.
They need to tone down animation priority and give the controls some more responsiveness.

The only big game i can think of right now that has animation priority as bad as AC, in GTA and RDR, which also aren't really that great to control.

If you take for example how good it feels to move and stealth around in Last of Us or Blacklist, and AC Unity, there's a huge gap, but it's not like those games are sacrificing good animations.

open world probably doesn't help for these games. Heck batman is way less fun combat wise in the outside maps due to performance hit.

UrbanRats

open world probably doesn't help for these games. Heck batman is way less fun combat wise in the outside maps due to performance hit.

When it comes to accuracy and fine tuning i can agree with you, an open world game will never be as polished as a linear one, but the way they prioritize looks over gameplay, is a problem AC has ever had, to be honest, and it has only gotten worse since 3.
It's not like there aren't open world games that don't control fluidly and responsively.
Shadow of Mordor (parkour aside, which is shit) has a much more responsive stealth and combat thanks to better controls.
It's that perfect and complexly cinematic animations, are sort of a "thing" for AC now, and they take precedence over good controls, but i hope they realize and correct this, otherwise whatever shakedown they do, to their so called "core pillars of AC", won't solve the game's problems.

When it takes half a second for the character to transition from running straight to running left or right, because he has to do a complex animation just to change direction, you know your priorities are off, and that has really nothing to do with open world (countless examples are proof of this, from Infamous to Mordor, to Saint's Row, to Sleeping Dogs).

My 2 cents, anyhow.

Carbonox

80% chests done and 85% cockades done. Once those are at 100% I've Platinum'd the game. At least this was fun in Black Flag due to the beauty of the environment and the form of navigation for the most part. Here's it's purely run around a ginormous city cos there is no other form of transport and it fucking sucks.

Crossing Eden

I thought that some of the animations in 4 were a step back from 3, mainly because a good amount of them were sped up versions of AC3's animations and they weren't meticulous about certain things, like double counters with a rifle having clipping or floating issues. If it were completely up to me i'd make it even harder and have it so mistakes=death, or at least have a cheat to enable that. It looks really realistic when the combat animations blend together while the enemies are all attacking. Unfortunately there's so much geometry in the game that sometimes there's a bit of floating going on or clipping. But most of the time it works. The games work with animation priority except for certain actions, it instantly responds to the parry button while trying to figure out which animation should play next, it's very contextual with positioning and other things, finishers as well. Also noticed that Arno is very responsive to R2+X to jump.

https://gfycat.com/ImpishBriefGarpike
http://gfycat.com/FearlessConcernedKoodoo
http://gfycat.com/UnpleasantJoyfulAnkolewatusi

charsace

I thought that some of the animations in 4 were a step back from 3, mainly because a good amount of them were sped up versions of AC3's animations and they weren't meticulous about certain things, like double counters with a rifle having clipping or floating issues. If it were completely up to me i'd make it even harder and have it so mistakes=death, or at least have a cheat to enable that. It looks really realistic when the combat animations blend together while the enemies are all attacking. Unfortunately there's so much geometry in the game that sometimes there's a bit of floating going on or clipping. But most of the time it works. The games work with animation priority except for certain actions, it instantly responds to the parry button while trying to figure out which animation should play next, it's very contextual with positioning and other things, finishers as well. Also noticed that Arno is very responsive to R2+X to jump.

https://gfycat.com/ImpishBriefGarpike
http://gfycat.com/FearlessConcernedKoodoo
http://gfycat.com/UnpleasantJoyfulAnkolewatusi

This game is just so beautiful. I laugh every time I boot up the game and play because people are trying to push the idea that the game doesn't look nearly as good in motion as it does in stills. The game looks even better in motion to me after putting in more time into it this weekend.

Corgi

Banned
This game is just so beautiful. I laugh every time I boot up the game and play because people are trying to push the idea that the game doesn't look nearly as good in motion as it does in stills. The game looks even better in motion to me after putting in more time into it this weekend.

Yep. for the 70-80% of the time where everything just works. its great. Still too many little things that can break that illusion.

There was rumors of them doing assassin creed for younger generation, makes me think of a cartoonish assassin creed game with simpler textures and less detailed worlds, but the benefit is that 70% of time in your typical ass creed game goes up to 90% slick animation.

I could live with that.

Crossing Eden

Especially without the HUD

Ok, finished main story now, and I'm fucking pissed off. The rest of this post will contain spoilers, also for Watch_Dogs.

They did it, they fucking did what I was afraid they'd do, as posted here on the Arno Master assassin CG trailer thread. They just had to fucking kill Elise for tear jerking, well guess what UBI, it didn't work in Watch_dogs, and it isn't working here, other than pissing me the hell off that you can't have a female character in your game and not killing her off in the end. Geez, that's 2 times in 1 year, same thing. All this does is for the next game they release that'll have a female side-character, all I'm going to be doing is wondering, "wonder if she'll be killed of in this mission or not".

You had a good boss fight, felt rewarding, would've been great ending on that high note, but as soon as the cutscene started, it hit me, oh, this is where she'll die. And sure enough... fucking hell UBI, I'd really would liked to have been on your story sessions "it's important that we have a female side character for <insert game> just make sure she dies in the final act".

This has seriously pissed me off more than the performance issues, and the companion app, and the initiates problems, they all together don't come close... Damn it UBI, why?

Come on, as soon as I played in
balloon
mission in the middle of the story I knew
she was going to kick the bucket. I am only upset her death scene was handled so poorly.
. I have no problem saying this one has the worst AC story in the whole franchise.

zkorejo

Why cant i see all cockades on the map? I cant see any cockade in the map in some districts but the map info says 6/7. What do i have to do to unlock rest on the map? Or is it simply another bug or something.

Its really annoying they locked the black color behind 100 stupid cockade collection.

Aces&Eights

Whoever designed the UI for the murder mysteries is blind as a bat.

1) the little magnifying glasses that identify an area of interest sit there even after you have visited the area. So, after going to number 4 (7 total) I turn around and they are all jumbled together on my map with no indication of which ones I have already visited. The on I just arrived at was a little out of the way so now I can't figure out which ones are still undiscovered so I am running back to each one to double check. Why not make one green once you have been there and found all the clues?

2) Data Base reminders. Holy hell. Ok, so every time I go to a place a 5 second banner pops up to tell me that the area has been added to my data base. When I touch a clue a banner pops up to tell me the clue and also one to tell me that the clue can be viewed in my data base but it is now under the banner advising me of the place I am visiting and that I can view it in my data base.. (I get it. They go to my data base. The 24 times you have told me this is more than enough to ensure I don't suddenly go, "oh! I want to review the clues but damnit I don't know where to go do that!")

The problem compounds when I get to a clue and the description banner pops up and as I turn to the next clue (most are side by side) the new clue banner pops up yet it covers the old banner that is still there from my last clue telling me I can check my data base to review it. Once that stops I now have to wait for the previous banner's actual clue portion to be on top so I can hit "O" and close it but the new banner for the new clue is now on top. I had 3 window overlays all at the same time. I had 4 clues in a small room that I simply needed to turn my avatar to engage. So, 4 times I'm trying to read clues as 2 additional banners (per clue) pop up over everything.

CHRIST.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I reinstalled Assassin's Creed II for fun and holy hell, the controls were so much better back then, especially for free running. You had so much more freedom of control and the limb system really just made sense.

They really shit it up with the revamp in ACIII, didn't they?

Going back to those visuals is rough, though. How far we have come in such a short time.

1) the little magnifying glasses that identify an area of interest sit there even after you have visited the area. So, after going to number 4 (7 total) I turn around and they are all jumbled together on my map with no indication of which ones I have already visited. The on I just arrived at was a little out of the way so now I can't figure out which ones are still undiscovered so I am running back to each one to double check. Why not make one green once you have been there and found all the clues?

hovering over the icons on the map will tell you how many clues you have at each location.

MattyG

Banned
What a shitty ending. I got the ending of Rogue spoiled for me in the spoiler thread (a little dissapointed, but I'm sure there's more surprises in the game) and it honestly sounds like the better story. Even though it got spoiled for me, I'm still looking forward to playing it and hoping it will be better than the mess of a story in Unity.

Ferr986

It's not compulsory, but if you plan to play other AC or Ubisoft games then I'd recommend it. It's free and there are some nice extras you can get from it.

You can still platinum the game without it and the Uplay unlocks are for low-tier items that are easily outclassed by the stuff in the game. There are some other downloadables and cosmetic items which are just extra bonuses for fans but nothing gamebreaking you're missing out on.

Thanks!

Iceternal

Played the food chain Co-op mission yesterday, it's been the worst AC experience ever for me...

I never found the game to be that glitchy compared to what I'd heard... until I played co-op...OMG... literally nothing worked correctly. I couldn't even loot bodies, the circle stopped midway everytime... Guards fused with the walls, I could see their arm protuding and twitching... The other assassins walked on thin air...

My Arno wouldn't attack in combat... ever... Oh yes, he did shoot at an enemy with his rifle, but he held it backwards, like he was trying to blind shoot behind his back, and of course he missed the enemy I was facing. The enemies just decided to drop dead anyway. ( I suppose there was so much lag that since I was mashing the square button I was actually attacking them but the animations didn"t show so instead all I was seeing was Arno standing still and enemies dropping dead, mental superpower lol)

The framerate dropped to single digits...

My girlfriend likes watching me playing AC because she enjoys the historical aspect, but at that moment she said "it's like I'm watching a pile of shit, I can't stand it"

It was an extremely embarrassing experience lol.

Ominym

Banned
I finished the story recently and I had a question:
Did they ever acknowledge Arno being let back into the Assassin's order? Granted, I didn't attempt to go back into the Order until after I had finished the story. But I thought it was pretty weird that the Order leaders did the whole "our decision is final" thing and then I'm allowed back in. Did I miss something?

For the record, also thought it was weird that I wore that Arno's Master Assassin costume after the game ended. How'd he become a Master Assassin if he wasn't in the Order?

Also, if the Order was so upset with him doing what he wanted? Wouldn't they send someone to kill him and stop him from just going around stabbing whatever target he wanted?

glaurung

Cleared up Versailles and did my first murder mystery (the monastery) during the weekend.

I actually liked the murder mystery, though it involved zero thought and effort to figure out. Or even worse - not "figure out" but rather lower my expectations to the level of the game developers and press the button.

Even though the game is pretty solid so far (PS4), I created a technical support ticket over at Ubi's support system for the companion app. Because after I synced up the companion app with the PS4 game, it effectively broke and I am now unable to progress through the tutorial. The companion app highlights the CONTINUE button, but the button cannot be pressed (as I can understand it, the app no longer detects me having any assassins).

And I cannot open the Assassins menu option from the bottom left either.

So far Ubi support is silent. I hope they can somehow reset the companion app state.

I actually liked the murder mystery, though it involved zero thought and effort to figure out. Or even worse - not "figure out" but rather lower my expectations to the level of the game developers and press the button.

I like the murder mystery too but being as easy as it is, I have to force myself go through a process so I can actually feel like I am solving a murder.

First I will go and collect all clues.
Then I will read through the clues and make statements on who can be the murderer and with what motives, with some of my commentary on how cruel, stupid, etc they are.
Laugh my ass off and press accuse.

Skux

Finally had more cutscenes with Elise. She is gorgeously rendered. Watching her sleeves crease and flutter in motion like real clothes is something I've never seen in a video game until now, at least to this level of detail. They've also perfectly nailed the effect of sunlight shining through hair from behind and making a halo.

Kabouter

Woo, Initiates level 15 finally, I'll be able to unlock that final yellow chest :p
Which of course gives money, so useful!
*Scrooge McDuck swimming in money image*

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Really? It was near impossible to do the first part without being spotted. Major pain in the ass IMO.

I remained on the rooftops the entire time during the tailing and then very easily got into the building via the rooftops on the left side (facing) and then there was a window that led directly adjacent to where you were mean to go with just a sleeping guard in front of it.

Breezed through the whole sequence 12 the first try at 100% it was a bit underwhelming.

Crossing Eden

I finished the story recently and I had a question:
Did they ever acknowledge Arno being let back into the Assassin's order? Granted, I didn't attempt to go back into the Order until after I had finished the story. But I thought it was pretty weird that the Order leaders did the whole "our decision is final" thing and then I'm allowed back in. Did I miss something?

For the record, also thought it was weird that I wore that Arno's Master Assassin costume after the game ended. How'd he become a Master Assassin if he wasn't in the Order?

Also, if the Order was so upset with him doing what he wanted? Wouldn't they send someone to kill him and stop him from just going around stabbing whatever target he wanted?
It's unkown how Arno rejoins the brotherhood. I'm thinking that the Dead Kings dlc will explain it since it takes place after the campaign. Considering that he killed the grandmaster of the new templars while also retrieving the sword of eden he probably was let back in at some point. The order also doesn't send other assassins to kill an ex-member unless that ex member broke the tenets of the creed or is compromised.

With Dragon Age and Far Cry 4 out, I've shelved this game until they release a patch that fixes performance, though I'm not sure that will ever happen.

Sad thing is I think the game would be absolutely glorious if the performance was decent...

With Dragon Age and Far Cry 4 out, I've shelved this game until they release a patch that fixes performance, though I'm not sure that will ever happen.

Sad thing is I think the game would be absolutely glorious if the performance was decent...

Same here. I've got Farcry and GTA to keep me busy whilst I wait to patch this mess. I have no hopes though. Game is great apart from the frame rate and glitches which makes it all the more painful for it to sit on my shelf.

Cleared up Versailles and did my first murder mystery (the monastery) during the weekend.

Even though the game is pretty solid so far (PS4), I created a technical support ticket over at Ubi's support system for the companion app. Because after I synced up the companion app with the PS4 game, it effectively broke and I am now unable to progress through the tutorial. The companion app highlights the CONTINUE button, but the button cannot be pressed (as I can understand it, the app no longer detects me having any assassins).

And I cannot open the Assassins menu option from the bottom left either.

So far Ubi support is silent. I hope they can somehow reset the companion app state.

Dont bother with the companion, it's completely broken right now. It will randomly erase all your progress, like it happened to me yesterday after I was at about 75% completion.

Omni

Game keeps making my Xbone dashboard freeze.

I don't care about the juddery framerate. Not really. I can still play. But when it freezes my system whenever I 'leave' the game to do something as simple as check my friends list, for example, then that's a problem.

Up to sequence 5 but I've had to stop. I'm sick of it happening

Top Bottom