• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

Corgi

Banned
kind of wish they would flesh out the murder mystery for a sequel. Probably the most interesting thing out of ubisoft factory in a while.

making the UI not complete shit would help too.

Just completed it, was an interesting story but what the balls about...

Why was he expelled from the brotherhood and it was never raised again even when the story concluded... thats what pissed me more than anything...

Oh and the bugs weren't game breaking but they were for sure hilarious

Oh Arno, you crazy!

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Just completed it, was an interesting story but what the balls about...

Why was he expelled from the brotherhood and it was never raised again even when the story concluded... thats what pissed me more than anything...

Oh and the bugs weren't game breaking but they were for sure hilarious

Oh Arno, you crazy!

He was expelled due to him pursuing his/Elise's personal vendetta over the advice of the council. His re-entering of the Order will probably be touched upon in the DLC expansion Dead Kings as that's set after the story (which in itself time jumps a few years during the credit sequence).

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Just got my platinum trophy. I should have gotten it a day earlier if not for going after all the chests.

Here are my thoughts:

Loved:
1. The setting. Paris was one of the most visually impressive I have ever seen in a game. It's truly great that this was not a cross-gen game. It really needed to not be restrained by that.
2. They looked more at the AC2 formula and brought back a lot of good stuff.
3. Harder combat. You can't take on 30 enemies anymore and win.
4. Multiple ways to assassinate the target. Easily the best part
5. Murder Mystery were a very nice change of pace and hope to see more of these.
6. COOP was a very nice touch.
7. Much better secondary objectives. Really only AC3 had bad secondary objectives, but these add a nice challenge.

Hated:
1. The still have not fixed the terrible mechanics. It got incredibly frustrating to get seen due to getting stuck on a ledge or some other innate object. In the other games you could get away with it, because the enemies were weak. In this game it could be a big problem since enemies can quickly kill you. It made quick escapes very tough. How many times did I try to jump away and/or drop and not respond only to get shot up.

2. Inconsistent detection system. The phantom blades were supposed to be used for stealth, but there were quite a few times where I would use them and all of the sudden open conflict would be triggered. It was REALLY bad from Sequence 10 onwards.

3. Why did they remove simple things like whistle? Kills from cover is a very common secondary objective in many missions and it was made that much harder without a whistle mechanic. Firecrackers didn't help much.

4. Speaking of cover. IT SUCKED. It was very difficult to tell if you were in cover. They should have adopted the Watch Dogs cover system that allows you to move around cover.

5. TOO MANY DAMN COLLECTIBLES with no meaningful benefit to doing them. Did this game really need 400 chests? This is something Ubisoft doesn't get. The collectibles in Ubisoft games seem more like busy work. My obsessive compulsive nature got the best of me and I HAD to get the platinum trophy. This brings me to my next complaint.

6. **** that goddamn lock picking mini-game. Seriously **** IT TO HELL. Collecting the chests would not have been so bad if half of them were not using level 3 locks. I have slow reflexes and it was very nerve racking for me to have to do those. I don't expect most people to understand but its a very big deal to me, because it really puts people like me at a frustrating disadvantage. Plus, the mechanism was stupid. When does lock picking involve that. Thief had a better mechanism. One way that the game could have gotten around them is to allow players to buy a tool that automatically opens them, BUT make it very expensive in game and/or make it available only after the main storyline. They also provided little benefit in the main storyline too. Very rarely did opening a locked door when doing an infiltration provide a meaningful advantage. Fix this shit Ubisoft.

7. Too much of the city was wasted and unused. Pretty much the entire south part of the map was barely in the main storyline. It was sparingly used in the COOP missions. I was hoping to do some infiltration/assassination in places like Pantheon. Nope.

8. The Heist missions SUCKED. As much as I liked the COOP missions. The Heist missions were just a very boring get into an area absolutely infested with guards. I think a better way they could have done these is to decrease the number of gaurds and make it such that you fail a Heist if you get detected to provide a bigger incentive to not get seen. Just so one player doesn't ruin it for everybody make it such that every player can get seen twice and then fail. Something like that.

I realize I had a lot more complaints than likes, but I very much enjoyed the game and really hope Ubisoft can take some of those criticisms to heart.

Finished the game. Enjoyed most of the game. Liked it quite a bit.

Thoughts:

Pros:

Paris. The best setting AC has used to date, wonderfully realized. Beautiful, huge, alive. Just utterly fantastic. Ubi knocked it out of the park here.

Arno is a good character. Wouldn't mind another game with him. Loved Elise.

New parkour system (ability to Parkour up and down) is absolutely fantastic. A great improvement and interation over previous games.

Character customization is fantastic. Absolutely loved how deep it gets.

Murder mysteries are fucking ace.

Open-ended assassinations are brilliant.

Time anomalies were cool.

Love story was an interesting way to go.

Cons:

Fuck the combat. I actually missed killstreaks and stuff. I wish they'd found a better balance between hilariously overpowered and these long, drawn out sword fights against the tougher opponents, but by the end you're pretty OP yourself.

Fuck the lockpicks. Holy Christ, these things were more rage inducing than the technical glitches. Seriously, fucking stupidest thing in gaming this year. Fuck you for this lockpick shit, ubi.

Wasted the setting. Game jumps around during the revolution a lot and I feel like it could have been both paced better and used the events of the Revolution better than it did. The actual Templar conspiracy was a bit meh as well.

Time anomalies could have been used even better.

Modern day shit sucks as usual, even when it's non-existent!

Fuck the lockpicks. Holy Christ, these things were more rage inducing than the technical glitches. Seriously, fucking stupidest thing in gaming this year. Fuck you for this lockpick shit, ubi.
!

Which is strange they had this weird new timing system when the lockpicking in Splinter Cell was fine, they should of just brought that over.

Bebpo

Banned
Since they established in Brotherhood that the Assassins have existed at least since the late Roman Republic, why not even further back than that? Wouldn't mind the series going back to a time before guns.

I get the feeling this won't happen because Ubi's introduced guns as a main gameplay system of the series and maybe they think they're getting some of that CoD audience by having gunplay, so I can't see them going to a time without guns anymore sadly.

Though I guess there's always AC: Osiris if it still exists.

Skux

Yeah the lockpick thing shouldn't be annoying, but depending on where you are you can get horrible input lag. I have to pre-hit the button just so it lands in the zone.

Note to trophy hunters - the "Ransacking Versailles" trophy may glitch on you despite collecting all 20 chests (not including Initiates/Nomad) and 8 cockades. It happened to me, but apparently it does not affect your chest and cockade trophies. You can work around this by finishing everything else first, back up and delete your local save, then start a new game and ransack Versailles.

Toa TAK

Banned
Yeah the lockpick thing shouldn't be annoying, but depending on where you are you can get horrible input lag. I have to pre-hit the button just so it lands in the zone.

Note to trophy hunters - the "Ransacking Versailles" trophy may glitch on you despite collecting all 20 chests (not including Initiates/Nomad) and 8 cockades. It happened to me, but apparently it does not affect your chest and cockade trophies. You can work around this by finishing everything else first, back up and delete your local save, then start a new game and ransack Versailles.

Fuck that. They better patch it.

apowhungo

Is anyone getting glitched out Co-Op missions?

This happened twice now... says go KILL someone, so me and the other guy do, and it still says to kill him... nothing fixes it. peeved because it took forever to get to that point because most people on co-op really blow.

if anyone needs a good co-op player add AaronPower plz

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Fuck the lockpicks. Holy Christ, these things were more rage inducing than the technical glitches. Seriously, fucking stupidest thing in gaming this year. Fuck you for this lockpick shit, ubit!

Yeah, I felt it. They were stupid and added nothing to the game. Very hard for me with my reflexes being so slow. The easiest thing they could have done was added in an automatic lockpick that opens it without the minigame that you could purchase at the end of the game. Also the doors with locks rarely opened the door to anything significant. Missed opportunity.

Which is strange they had this weird new timing system when the lockpicking in Splinter Cell was fine, they should of just brought that over.
Remind me how this worked.

Loakum

Banned
This is my first time ever, Platinum trophy a game on my 1st play through.

Oh3qMU5l.jpg

Iceternal

wow...I went to sleep and after waking up there wasn't even one more page on this thread ?!

Seems like no one's talking about the game !

Did it flop that bad ?!

Kabouter

wow...I went to sleep and after waking up there wasn't even one more page on this thread ?!

Did it flop that bad ?!

Still loving it myself, but don't have much to talk about because I'm much slower at going through the story than others.

VodevilX

Banned
Good to see, the overall opinion is good on this game! It truly is fantastic, if one can look past the technical problems (luckily I had few...) This is the way to go in the future in terms of presenting a living city! And then with the sandbox assassinations, just add a little bit of Splinter Cell/Hitman smoothness and mechanics to make the best out of it!
This way easily could've been the best AC game yet... However it still is the jaw dropping game of the year for me so far, I just can't leave Paris to start my inquisition... lol

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Did it flop that bad ?!
Loved it, but that said I already have the Platinum trophy and am now starting Dragon Age. I'll be back for the Dead Kings and China chronicle DLCs.

Paganmoon

I don't get the problem with the lockpicking tbh. Level 3 upgrade to lockpicking, equip a belt with extra lockpicks, just in case, and it's easy as hell. It's just going to take forever to go through all districts, cleared 6 subdistricts now, and my map is still full of chests.

Minor tip, you get a bit of helix points for free from uplay and companion app and what not, use 150 of them to reveal all cockades and chests, well worth it.

Loved it, but that said I already have the Platinum trophy and am now starting Dragon Age. I'll be back for the Dead Kings and China chronicle DLCs.

It's a good game, but Arno is no Ezio. I think they'll be hard pressed to ever do an AC better than ACII->AC:R imo.

So is there any trick to dealing with gunfire or is really just duck and roll?

Every fight degenerates into at least 2 guys backing away and taking pot shots, i'm really not a fan of the new combat. It's so sluggish. I don't need Arno jumping around like Batman, but in the other AC's there's a fluidity to sword play. Like a real fencing joust or swashbuckling Errol Flynn movie.

Smoke bombs might help to prevent the gunfire.

Every fight degenerates into at least 2 guys backing away and taking pot shots, i'm really not a fan of the new combat. It's so sluggish. I don't need Arno jumping around like Batman, but in the other AC's there's a fluidity to sword play. Like a real fencing joust or swashbuckling Errol Flynn movie.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod

Put an enemy between yourself and the gunman, put a large object between yourself or the gunman, or confront the gunman head-on and get him to put that silly thing away. Or try to roll, but that has a kind of mixed success rate.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
It's a good game, but Arno is no Ezio. I think they'll be hard pressed to ever do an AC better than ACII->AC:R imo.
I think Arno has the potential in future games to become as likable as Ezio. AC2 alone-Ezio wasn't all that great either. Ubi likes to milk (to the benefit of character development in this case). I think they want another figurehead for their brand and avoid another "Connor situation" so I think it's very likely that Arno will feature in more games at least.

Equip something with extra smoke bombs and all your battle issues goes away.

Did they ever get the frame rate patched up?

The next patch promises 'minor upgrades' in 'certain edge cases' for the framerate, and Ubisoft has gone silent about exactly when that patch will be rolled out. Meanwhile, the framerate's exactly as bad as it was on release day.

When everything's working properly, you'll be able to see the enemy's red crosshair icon when they pull out a gun, and right before they fire it it'll glow bright red, which is your cue to roll. However, if you happen to be trapped in an animation at the time there isn't much you can do, and often the crosshair icon just won't show up at all (especially when it's some jerk with a rifle taking potshots from across the street). The trick to dealing with gunfire is the same trick to dealing with every other part of combat, which is to buy gear that lets you carry more Smoke Bombs and drop them every time you fight anyone.

glaurung

Dont bother with the companion, it's completely broken right now. It will randomly erase all your progress, like it happened to me yesterday after I was at about 75% completion.
But-but those blue chests! My OCD goes into overdrive when there is stuff that I know I should be able to open and for some retarded reason, cannot.

Ubi Support still hasn't even replied to my ticket on their system. Fuck off with your 2 work day answer claim if you cannot do it.

Should i buy this yet (XBO) or are there still crazy mad glitches/framerate issues etc?

I'm eager to play it but don't want my experience to be ruined.

drigosr

Should i buy this yet (XBO) or are there still crazy mad glitches/framerate issues etc?

I'm eager to play it but don't want my experience to be ruined.

Man, frame rate still sucks.

I've been trying to play this game but sometimes it's just impossible...

It's sad, unfortunately

drigosr

Is it just when there's alot of NPC's on the screen? Or just random spikes?

What is even more weird is that, sometimes the game slows down when you're alone, on the rooftops, or in less crowded areas.

Maybe it's because the game keeps processing the NPCs even if you're not seeing them.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Is it just when there's alot of NPC's on the screen? Or just random spikes?

Can't speak for the XBO version but on PS4 it's seemingly random, it can be locked 30 when the screen is filled with NPCs just as it can be a crawl in the same situation or when you're alone. There are clearly some background computational tasks that are either memory leaks or otherwise poorly optimized that bog down performance, it doesn't seem directly tied to the rendering of lots of stuff on-screen.

valkyre

The next patch promises 'minor upgrades' in 'certain edge cases' for the framerate, and Ubisoft has gone silent about exactly when that patch will be rolled out. Meanwhile, the framerate's exactly as bad as it was on release day.

The framerate patch is only going to provide minor improvements? Shit I thought that they promised at least some moderate improvement by reading their announcement... dont know why I have that impression, perhaps wishful thinking...

Can't speak for the XBO version but on PS4 it's seemingly random, it can be locked 30 when the screen is filled with NPCs just as it can be a crawl in the same situation or when you're alone. There are clearly some background computational tasks that are either memory leaks or otherwise poorly optimized that bog down performance, it doesn't seem directly tied to the rendering of lots of stuff on-screen.

Ah right so it's just at complete random the frame rate will just dip.

Argh. I just want to run around Paris :(

The framerate patch is only going to provide minor improvements? Shit I thought that they promised at least some moderate improvement by reading their announcement... dont know why I have that impression, perhaps wishful thinking...

From their Live Blog update, all they said about the framerate was "We’ve tuned the way the computing tasks are prioritized and parallelized by the processor cores to improve framerate in certain edge cases" and "We’ve optimized the reach high points, during the camera swooping sequence to improve framerate a little bit". No mention of the maaaassive framerate drops that happen aaaall the time, just a little bit of tuning up certain edge cases. That article was posted six days ago, now, with no sign of the patch actually coming out.

I honestly don't think they're going to fix anything. AC Unity is already fading from the limelight, the uproar has died down, and already people are trying to downplay the issues despite the Digital Foundry video that definitively and unarguably shows how badly this shit runs. They can't waste all this time fixing their broken mess when they've got DLC to sell you and next year's game to start advertising.

5. TOO MANY DAMN COLLECTIBLES with no meaningful benefit to doing them. Did this game really need 400 chests? This is something Ubisoft doesn't get. The collectibles in Ubisoft games seem more like busy work. My obsessive compulsive nature got the best of me and I HAD to get the platinum trophy. This brings me to my next complaint.

This is because of the forced implementation of microtransactions. It directly affected the currency of the game. Goes to show that even "optional" design will significantly affect the development. AC relied too much on this but decided to push that further to freemium style grind. Disgusting.

valkyre

From their Live Blog update, all they said about the framerate was "We’ve tuned the way the computing tasks are prioritized and parallelized by the processor cores to improve framerate in certain edge cases" and "We’ve optimized the reach high points, during the camera swooping sequence to improve framerate a little bit". No mention of the maaaassive framerate drops that happen aaaall the time, just a little bit of tuning up certain edge cases. That article was posted six days ago, now, with no sign of the patch actually coming out.

I honestly don't think they're going to fix anything. AC Unity is already fading from the limelight, the uproar has died down, and already people are trying to downplay the issues despite the Digital Foundry video that definitively and unarguably shows how badly this shit runs. They can't waste all this time fixing their broken mess when they've got DLC to sell you and next year's game to start advertising.

Thanks for this. I guess wishful thinking on my part it is then...

Far Cry 4's great and solid release encouraged my belief that perhaps Ubisoft will provide a moderate fix to the framerate issue... crap...

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
This is because of the forced implementation of microtransactions. It directly affected the currency of the game. Goes to show that even "optional" design will significantly affect the development. AC relied too much on this but decided to push that further to freemium style grind. Disgusting.

You don't use any of the micro transactions for the collectibles. Unless you count the time saver packs (which you can get free via Uplay) to show stuff on the map.

If you're suffering from credit shortage in-game, just complete a few Theatre missions and receive a cool 42k every hour.

Kabouter

How do the amount of chests and cockades in the game relate to micro-transactions?

Ferr986

You don't use any of the micro transactions for the collectibles. Unless you count the time saver packs (which you can get free via Uplay) to show stuff on the map.

If you're suffering from credit shortage in-game, just complete a few Theatre missions and receive a cool 42k every hour.

Seriously. I dont even have all the Theatre missions yet, but im at Chapter 4 with a Great Flamberge already. Fuck stealth, Im destroying everyone in two hits.
The later equipment its expensive but once I have the Theatre maxed I dont see how is going to be a problem.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Seriously. I dont even have all the Theatre missions yet, but im at Chapter 4 with a Great Flamberge already. Fuck stealth, Im destroying everyone in two hits.
The later equipment its expensive but once I have the Theatre maxed I dont see how is going to be a problem.

Yup, by the end of the game I had over a million francs, with nothing to spend it on (already bought every item). I'd argue that the Theatre missions actually break the game's economy, heh.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
The only thing putting me off the platinum trophy is the co-op synced assassinations. Seems like it would be a massive pain.

How do the amount of chests and cockades in the game relate to micro-transactions?

I just spent forever beating AC Rogue and I rather enjoyed BF and Freedoms cry, but in this game, the amount of collectables is staggeringly large. one of the first thing I do in an AC is find the eagle viewpoints and the amount of items and missions I see on the screen is ridiculous and makes it seem like a second job to get them all. It seems to me it was done on purpose to say... this is going to take alot of time purchase some stuff to make it faster/easier. Level up in initiates! Play our companion app!

I have never been so turned off by the concept of collecting things and doing side missions as I see in this game. I have yet to finish sunset overdrive and tackle Far Cry 4 so I guess I am going to be collecting stuff for quite some time. I had to stop and think recently why does this still exist? Do people find collecting a megaton of items fun?

Top Bottom