• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So I've basically maxed out the companion app now, sitting on a full assassin roster and 30,000 nomad points and am now dispatching guys to the final 2 locations for the Tailored Phantom gear and the Altair outfit.

Some of these missions take 18-24 hours O_O

And to think... in past games you could just "buy" the Altair outfit with UPlay points.

I don't really get why I STILL run up and get stuck on things when I'm pressing run. Just run with no other button. Wasn't that supposed to be solved with the "up/down" mechanic?

This is something I find baffling. When they were talking about the Up/Down system pre-release it sounded like they'd finally fixed the janky AC platforming. You'd hold one button to climb things, one button to go down things, and the right trigger would be a simple sprint button, completely unrelated to the parkour system. Finally, after six games the nightmare would be over.

Instead, holding R2 and nothing but R2 will still have you accidentally running up walls, perching on tables and chairs and jumping into haycarts instead of running past them.They've made it so R2 is still the parkour button, but now R2 and X is for parkouring a little bit further. I can't imagine why they did it; they were right there with the perfect solution and they somehow missed it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This is something I find baffling. When they were talking about the Up/Down system pre-release it sounded like they'd finally fixed the janky AC platforming. You'd hold one button to climb things, one button to go down things, and the right trigger would be a simple sprint button, completely unrelated to the parkour system. Finally, after six games the nightmare would be over.

Instead, holding R2 and nothing but R2 will still have you accidentally running up walls, perching on tables and chairs and jumping into haycarts instead of running past them.They've made it so R2 is still the parkour button, but now R2 and X is for parkouring a little bit further. I can't imagine why they did it; they were right there with the perfect solution and they somehow missed it.

Yeah, the system definitely does not work how it sounds like it should. Very poorly implemented.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but I actually went back and played some Assassin's Creed 2 a bit ago. The controls are so much better and accurate in that game it's ridiculous. I remember being frustrated with them at the time, but they are massively better than what we have.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
For those of you saying that the removal of whistle was due to the firecracket.

Yes, that's probably true but you couldn't use the firecracker in a haystack, but I found that thing seldom worked as intended. There were times where I wanted to draw a guard over to me and he never came when I'd drop it at my feet.

You don't make a game harder by removing decent mechanics, you add in enemies that can account for those differences.

Yasae

Banned
Yeah, the system definitely does not work how it sounds like it should. Very poorly implemented.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but I actually went back and played some Assassin's Creed 2 a bit ago. The controls are so much better and accurate in that game it's ridiculous. I remember being frustrated with them at the time, but they are massively better than what we have.
I recently replayed that game too, and I'd have to disagree. It was good, but I can't go back to not having quick descent or losing half my health jumping into thin air.

If they could separate running and full-on free running like has been said, that would go a long way towards fixing problems.

ZeroX03

Banned
I remember ACII being painful on my fingers to use and random NPCs getting in the way a lot. All the AC games have shitty controls, they just sort of replace one set for another. I general there's no reason you'd ever want your character to jump up on a tiny little chair and get stuck there until you tap jump or something so I have no idea why that's still in the game. III and IV were a little better but mostly because you just didn't climb as often, and often (trees) it was a singular direction.

Yes, that's probably true but you couldn't use the firecracker in a haystack, but I found that thing seldom worked as intended. There were times where I wanted to draw a guard over to me and he never came when I'd drop it at my feet.

You don't make a game harder by removing decent mechanics, you add in enemies that can account for those differences.

Yeah firecrackers were inconsistent. I couldn't find many situations where throwing them made up for whistling's consistency and ability to use within haystacks.

UrbanRats

Agreed 100%.
Whistling (or surrogates) is a fucking standard in stealth games since forever (remember how in MGS you could knock?) for a reason.
Firecrackers aren't even close as being as functional, even not taking into consideration all the time they bug out on you.

Plus whistle may have been limitless, but you couldn't direct it like you can do with firecrackers, you could only call the attention on you, balacing things out already.

And now the only alternative is either throw firecrackers on your feet like a jackass, or do the little peak in and out of cover, so they'll come to your Last Known Position, and then kill them from behind cover... basically the same thing as a whistle, but much more prone to fuck ups due to the shitty cover system & controls, bugs in the geometries and collisions, and general clunkyness behind it all.

Might as well just have the whistle back.

Revelations was the high point of the parkour for me. It was still a frustrating mess, as it always was and always will be, but they introduced a lot more manually-controlled abilities with the Hookblade so at least it was engaging. The biggest problem I've had with the parkour in AC games is that it's all so automated, so when it does break down and do the wrong thing there's nothing you can do but hate the game. You're climbing up a building and your dude just stops for no reason, but because you don't really have direct control you just have to kind of fumble him around until he finds something he is willing to climb on. At least with the Hookblade you had some rhythm-based button pressing that could get you moving faster, and for the first time it felt like climbing was almost skill-based, rather than a matter of holding the buttons and waiting until you were at the top of a tower.

Then they stripped that all out for AC3, of course, and it became more automated than ever. Honestly, I wish they'd just give us a jump button. The automated free-running thing was a nice idea back in AC1, but we're up to AC7 now and it's pretty clear that the experiment hasn't worked. I know you can technically jump by hitting the button while running, but it's not a useful ability. A plain old, straight-up jump button would be so helpful for navigating the difficult geometry on rooftops that the parkour system just cannot handle.

Might as well just have the whistle back.

Also, the whistle actually worked. I'd say 75% of the time I drop a firecracker while in cover the guard will walk over and stop about two steps out of reach, which is not helpful to me at all.

ZeroX03

Banned
I mentioned this earlier in the thread, this is how I'd do the controls:

Run by Default
L2 = Walk / Low Profile
R2 = Climb Up
Circle = Descend
Cross = Jump / Snap to Cover

I'll be much happier when I don't have to hold onto R2 at all times and I stop jumping onto tiny little things. Also whistling back obviously.

Loakum

Banned
I recently replayed that game too, and I'd have to disagree. It was good, but I can't go back to not having quick descent or losing half my health jumping into thin air.

If they could separate running and full-on free running like has been said, that would go a long way towards fixing problems.

I recently played Assassin's Creed II as well, and Zefah is right. The controls, story, and ending was way better than AC Unity

UrbanRats

For the parkour, they just need to start over from scratch.
Make it much more simple, much faster and, especially, add some level of agency to it, that isn't simply keeping a button pressed mindlessly.

Unfortunately, i concede that there aren't many good examples around (unlike combat and stealth, for which they have no excuse).

Infamous' is very janky and completely weightless, Shadow of Mordor is even slower than AC's and significantly more rigid.

The problem however is that AC's parkour is far too concerned (like many other elements of the game) with looking good, rather than being functional, deep or fun to play with.
You have about 1 million different animations, for a million different interactive ledges and poles, but at the end of the day you rarely feel in control, nimble, agile, when scaling around the cities.
More over, you rarely have to put any thought into it.

When i do some amazing acrobatic number in Super Mario 3d World, i feel like a fucking ninja, because it was me who avoided that missile, wall-jumped over the laser, and landed on the moving platform all in one, quick go.

In AC i'm pressing forward, RT and maybe A... there's a chance i'll see some fancy animation, or that i'll get stuck in some geometry, but my part in it, feels extremely limited whatever the outcome.

Of course i'm not saying they should apply Mario's platforming to the game (duh) but the principle of my reasoning, is that making controls that are responsive, agile and malleable, may not wield as fancy looking animations as AC has now, but would provide a much deeper gratification, when all is said and done.
They don't do as well for E3 vertical slices though, which is why i'm afraid Ubisoft will never changes things in this sense.

VodevilX

Banned
Firecrackers aren't even close as being as functional, even not taking into consideration all the time they bug out on you..

Hell yeah.... most of the times you couldn't even properly throw 'em, or if you have to expose yourself just to throw it, then again what's the point...

Aces&Eights

So, I took some time off Far Cry to show the girlfriend AC Unity, Early on, did the mission where you talk to
the King of Rats
. During the cutscene, my guy and this fella are having a very serious conversation. Slick camera angels are being used and the entire time, some NPC is literally standing between us. He is like a random from the street, where when you walk by they kind of hold their arms out at you and make these silent head bobs like they are trying to tell you to piss off. The setting of my cut scene was around NPCs but why do they allow them to interact with a cutscene? This dick ruined the whole scene! Standing right between us and doing his arm pushing thing, it was ridiculous. Then, when the camera panned in and was showing close ups of us talking, the NPC was smack dab in the middle of the screen, looking all low res and head bobbing.

lol, this game.

glaurung

patch out yet?
They're French, the patch that is announced to be released on the 26th will be released at 8 PM France local time, after the button pressers have had a three course lunch with two bottles of wine per person.

TBH, I would not approach Unity before patch 5 or 6.

SJRB

Gold Member
They're French, the patch that is announced to be released on the 26th will be released at 8 PM France local time, after the button pressers have had a three course lunch with two bottles of wine per person.

eh.. Montreal is not in France.

Yasae

Banned
I recently played Assassin's Creed II as well, and Zefah is right. The controls, story, and ending was way better than AC Unity
I think both of you are overrating a sequel which improved on what was a very mediocre game. That doesn't take a world of effort.

I think AC2 wins out overall vs Unity, but it's not leagues ahead.

glaurung

eh.. Montreal is not in France.
south-park-canadians-3.png

It's Ubisoft Montreal, it's in Quebec Canada... Eastern Time. The more you know, eh?

valkyre

So, I took some time off Far Cry to show the girlfriend AC Unity, Early on, did the mission where you talk to
the King of Rats
. During the cutscene, my guy and this fella are having a very serious conversation. Slick camera angels are being used and the entire time, some NPC is literally standing between us. He is like a random from the street, where when you walk by they kind of hold their arms out at you and make these silent head bobs like they are trying to tell you to piss off. The setting of my cut scene was around NPCs but why do they allow them to interact with a cutscene? This dick ruined the whole scene! Standing right between us and doing his arm pushing thing, it was ridiculous. Then, when the camera panned in and was showing close ups of us talking, the NPC was smack dab in the middle of the screen, looking all low res and head bobbing.

lol, this game.

You should check this :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DzsFMsIZPM

valkyre

The LOD problemes are not a bug, looks more like a very low setting in order to preserve framerate...

Ι actually think that the LOD is not the big problem, but the fact that NPCs change outfits during the LOD transition...

I mean how fucked up is that, to suddenly see an NPC change into a complete new outfit... thats LOD in a whole other level lol...

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod

Hold R2 & Circle/RT and B. You'll stay grounded.

Akai__

I never understood why the map has too be cluttered with millions of collectibles. You should be able to customize filters for your map and save the settings, so that you don't have to switch between these map modes.

The 3D map is pretty awesome, though.

valkyre

If I may ask a particular HUD question:

Can you remove the progress tracker from constantly showing your objective while on a mission?

Case in point the part above the minimap next to the exclamation point. Can you remove this whole thing from the HUD?

eqIfYt21.jpg

Peterthumpa

Can you remove the progress tracker from constantly showing your objective while on a mission?

Case in point the part above the minimap next to the exclamation point. Can you remove this whole thing from the HUD?

eqIfYt21.jpg

Yup, if I recall correctly, the HUD is totally customizable and there are even presets like "minimal" and "hide all" or something like that. You can even hide the whole HUD by long pressing R3.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

eqIfYt21.jpg
Hold R3.

valkyre

Yup, if I recall correctly, the HUD is totally customizable and there are even presets like "minimal" and "hide all" or something like that. You can even hide the whole HUD by long pressing R3.

Thanks a mill, I hope you get to remove the progress tracker individually and not resort to hide everything in order to get rid of it.

As I said above, I dont want to get rid all of the HUD, just specific elements of it.

Crossing Eden

Thanks a mill, I hope you get to remove the progress tracker individually and not resort to hide everything in order to get rid of it.

As I said above, I dont want to get rid all of the HUD, just specific elements of it.
My bad.

Station42

there are options to hide single parts of the HUD, but not one to switch off the mission objective, which would be exactly the most important to hide for me too.

charsace

I don't agree. ACU has the best controls in the series so far. I am playing 4 also and it just feels less responsive.

I think the series should explore analog movement speed.

valkyre

there are options to hide single parts of the HUD, but not one to switch off the mission objective, which would be exactly the most important to hide for me too.
well....shit...

Seriously I do not understand this series obsession with useless stuff continuously on screen... how hard is it to just toggle the objectives with the press of a button? You forgot what your objective is? Press a button and voila!

I really really dont get it.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Not quite. I got absolutely SICK of getting Initiates and Companion App notifications. When I wanted to go to the map it would force me to initiates. I would have done anything to get that crap turned off.

UGH.

Crossing Eden

I don't agree. ACU has the best controls in the series so far. I am playing 4 also and it just feels less responsive.
I agree, AC4 and going back feels less responsive and less fluid. Arno very rarely doesn't go exactly where I want him to go. Wonder if people know that if you tap R2+X he'll simply jump up once or if you hold O while sprinting he'll simply vault and slide under things instead of grabbing them, or L2 to easily access windows. The game very briefly explains these things but they're easy to forget.

UrbanRats

I agree, AC4 and going back feels less responsive and less fluid. Arno very rarely doesn't go exactly where I want him to go. Wonder if people know that if you tap R2+X he'll simply jump up once or if you hold O while sprinting he'll simply vault and slide under things instead of grabbing them, or L2 to easily access windows. The game very briefly explains these things but they're easy to forget.

"easily" is stretching the meaning of the word to infinity and beyond, lol.

To me it's comical how overcomplicated they're making this series, even though Unity is not the pinnacle of those cumbersome mechanics (AC3 was even more uselessly intricate in its controls).

Unity streamlines somewhat, but compared to most games is still hilariously over-thought.

Crossing Eden

"easily" is stretching the meaning of the word to infinity and beyond, lol.

To me it's comical how overcomplicated they're making this series, even though Unity is not the pinnacle of those cumbersome mechanics (AC3 was even more uselessly intricate in its controls).

Unity streamlines somewhat, but compared to most games is still hilariously over-thought.
What other open world games have this amount of freerunning elements? L2 for windows could be explained more in depth though.

Top Bottom