• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

UrbanRats

Infamous SS does that one jump button and one grab button system and it feels way worse than anything I dealt with in Unity during my playtime. It's a type of system that is easy to learn but hard to master. Harder than the other AC games at least since I did initially have trouble with it for the first three hours before fully getting a grasp on it.

Infamous SS i don't know, but first light, Infamous1 and 2 don't have a grab button at all.
They have a jump button and a fall button, but the character automatically grabs to stuff, and you can't move up and down freely, you have to jump over and over.

So it's different from what i'm talking about.

There is really nothing to "master" in AC Unity's parkour, it's almost literally "press forward+RT+A/B" and hope the game interprets what you want to do right, watching Arno do his fancy moves while you keep the button pressed.
It's more of a "press an obscene number of inputs, to watch the game do its thing".

I can't count all the times an AC character (Arno included) got stuck for no reason.

I mean, even Shadow of the Colossus had more agency in the platforming, however flawed it was.
And that's a ps2 game.

zewone

When i first started the game, there was a screen with all the different Assassins from the other games and it looked like they had unique missions. How do I get back to that screen and can I play those? They were all locked.

When i first started the game, there was a screen with all the different Assassins from the other games and it looked like they had unique missions. How do I get back to that screen and can I play those? They were all locked.

its just part of the beginning. You never see that screen again

zewone

its just part of the beginning. You never see that screen again

Such a tease. :(

the paris adventures
in other time periods
were cool, but unique missions from the other assassins in that same size...jeeze. would have been something that would have made Unity an even better experience for me

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So, any patch framerate impressions?
I didn't a problem beforehand minus the few bugs and stained window drops and I could be imaging things but I'm sure Arno is moving faster

im not great at telling the differences with frame rates, unless its like 30 vs 60. This feels the same to me, maybe just a very tiny bit smoother

Edit: actually, unless I skipped over it, there is no mention of frame rate in the update history on ps4. I thought that would have been something in the forefront.

Ferr986

Just fired the game after the patch and honestly Im not seeing any framerate improvement, atleast on streets (didnt try on those weird places like Notre Dame and such).

Vire

Just fired the game after the patch and honestly Im not seeing any framerate improvement, atleast on streets (didnt try on those weird places like Notre Dame and such).
Ugh, guess I'll keep waiting to play this game. I can't deal with sub 25 frame rates.

TGO

Something is definitely different, I just can't tell what it is ?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Infamous SS i don't know, but first light, Infamous1 and 2 don't have a grab button at all.
They have a jump button and a fall button, but the character automatically grabs to stuff, and you can't move up and down freely, you have to jump over and over.

So it's different from what i'm talking about.

There is really nothing to "master" in AC Unity's parkour, it's almost literally "press forward+RT+A/B" and hope the game interprets what you want to do right, watching Arno do his fancy moves while you keep the button pressed.
It's more of a "press an obscene number of inputs, to watch the game do its thing".

I can't count all the times an AC character (Arno included) got stuck for no reason.

I mean, even Shadow of the Colossus had more agency in the platforming, however flawed it was.
And that's a ps2 game.
Shadow of the colossus's parkour usually meant heavy damage or death if you failed. That's what they've been trying to stop. From my experience, I haven't once accidentally jumped off of a building and fell to my death for this game. And just for that reason alone controls better than past games. I had more problems figuring out how to double assassinate guards.

Such a tease. :(

the paris adventures
in other time periods
were cool, but unique missions from the other assassins in that same size...jeeze. would have been something that would have made Unity an even better experience for me
I want my jazz age junkies.

Now that I think about it, unlocking double air assassinations was a really obtuse process. You had to do the training for the regular air assassination and then the training for double air assassinations before you could use it in game. I had unlocked it several sequences earlier and kept wondering why it would never trigger.

Paganmoon

Now that I think about it, unlocking double air assassinations was a really obtuse process. You had to do the training for the regular air assassination and then the training for double air assassinations before you could use it in game. I had unlocked it several sequences earlier and kept wondering why it would never trigger.

What? It unlocks as soon as you buy it doesn't it? Don't recall having to go through training to be able to use it. Though it's a bitch to line up. Double assassination's, both ground and air, are really finicky in this game, have to line them up perfectly.

Crossing Eden

Took me forever to figure out that both enemies have to be highlighted.

Skux

You don't need to use the training to do any of the moves you've unlocked.

But it can be tricky to line them up. Make sure both enemies have red outlines, that means you will kill them both.

And also, you cannot kill an enemy who is at the red status (attacking/chasing you), you will jump on them and then get off, and draw your weapon (lol). Looks awkward but I can understand it for game balance purposes.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I don't agree. ACU has the best controls in the series so far. I am playing 4 also and it just feels less responsive.

I think the series should explore analog movement speed.

The movement controls are definitely better than 4, but I feel like we've lost the precision of the ACII series. You used to have much more control over what was going to happen. It may not have looked as smooth, but ever since ACIII, we've had to deal with an insane amount of randomly grabbing onto things and, to me at least, it's quite frustrating.

It wasn't a matter of lining it up right. It really would not allow me to do it until I did the training. Even had a checkbox next to it in the screen when I went to make sure I had bought it for the secondary objective in the final mission.

Crossing Eden

It wasn't a matter of lining it up right. It really would not allow me to do it until I did the training. Even had a checkbox next to it in the screen when I went to make sure I had bought it for the secondary objective in the final mission.
That's weird, I don't recall having to do training for it.

EDIT:There's a new outfit, outfit of Franciade. It's for the Dead Kings dlc, and boy does it seem OP.

Ushay

I got an email today from Ubisoft stating they were sorry and will be giving the next DLC for free. Anyone else get this??

I got an email today from Ubisoft stating they were sorry and will be giving the next DLC for free. Anyone else get this??

yeah, there is a thread about it. Dead Kings will be free for everyone who bought the game. The season pass is no longer available to purchase

TGO

Yeah but I didn't go over there, I jumped around by the windows as that's where it dropped for me before
I'll check it out.
Also I know I said it before but I'm sure it looks different.
My outfit looks velvet, I mean it did before but it looks more noticeable now.
But Pop in is worse now by the looks of it though.

B4D1E

In Cafe Théâtre there is now a new fast travel carriage for Franciade on the map and when you go in-game to it, it shows Dead Kings dlc.

Vidpixel

Once the actual frame rate patch they've mentioned is released, I may actually pick this game up... *Sigh* That is the saddest sentence I think I've ever written.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Once the actual frame rate patch they've mentioned is released, I may actually pick this game up... *Sigh* That is the saddest sentence I think I've ever written.
I doubt you'll be picking it up then. I suspect they won't be able to fix the frame-rate to an acceptable level without some serious re-engineering.

UrbanRats

Shadow of the colossus's parkour usually meant heavy damage or death if you failed. That's what they've been trying to stop. From my experience, I haven't once accidentally jumped off of a building and fell to my death for this game. And just for that reason alone controls better than past games. I had more problems figuring out how to double assassinate guards.

Not being able to fall off buildings just means the parkour is even more controlled, but doesn't really say much about its quality.
The problem wasn't falling to your death in previous games, the problem was falling to your death because the game would not interpret right where you wanted to jump, due to excessive automatization.

To be clear, i'm fine with the B descent button if the alternative is the previous games' system, but i'm saying the whole thing should be stripped and started over from the ground up.
This applies to almost all control elements of the game for me, though, not just the parkour.

I want AC to be much more responsive than it currently is, and i think they can only achieve that if they rethink it from the very roots.

Crossing Eden

Not being able to fall off buildings just means the parkour is even more controlled, but doesn't really say much about its quality.
The problem wasn't falling to your death in previous games, the problem was falling to your death because the game would not interpret right where you wanted to jump, due to excessive automatization.

To be clear, i'm fine with the B descent button if the alternative is the previous games' system, but i'm saying the whole thing should be stripped and started over from the ground up.
This applies to almost all control elements of the game for me, though, not just the parkour.

I want AC to be much more responsive than it currently is, and i think they can only achieve that if they rethink it from the very roots.
It says that no accidental inputs will result in me falling to my death. We're talking about a game that has to calculate inputs while also trying to decide which animation will play depending on that input/distance from objects/with tons of geometry. I'd rather not have to do something like mash a button for run or jump.

RedAssedApe

Banned
What? It unlocks as soon as you buy it doesn't it? Don't recall having to go through training to be able to use it. Though it's a bitch to line up. Double assassination's, both ground and air, are really finicky in this game, have to line them up perfectly.

yep. double assassinations are stupid in this game. so many times where i would only get one assassination and ruin my stealth run through the mission lol

Mogwai

I can confirm that the companion app still is fucked, even after an update on iOS. Anyway, it's only about Altairs outfit...

UrbanRats

It says that no accidental inputs will result in me falling to my death. We're talking about a game that has to calculate inputs while also trying to decide which animation will play depending on that input/distance from objects/with tons of geometry. I'd rather not have to do something like mash a button for run or jump.

In Shadow of the Colossus, if you fell and died, it was your fault (at least most of the times) in AC, it often wasn't, that's the key difference.
Not that SotC was perfect or anything, though.
-
Bolded is the problem i've been talking about for the last 5 posts. ;)
The game is uselessly complicated because it is more concerned with looking good, than playing good.

And i don't think i ever mentioned "mashing a button" infact, i'm asking for more nuance in the gameplay, not less.

anyone know what that triangulation thing refers to on Initiates for Unity. I thought it was for the companion app, but I am a good ways into it and am at 0 still

Vidpixel

I doubt you'll be picking it up then. I suspect they won't be able to fix the frame-rate to an acceptable level without some serious re-engineering.

Man, everything about this game's launch is so disappointing to me, and this was my most anticipated game for the fall at one point.

Even without all the glitches and whatnot, I really thought the whole downward parkour system and improvements to the stealth gameplay would really help alleviate all of the issues I've had with this series since its inception, but it seems as though this is far, far from the case.

Crossing Eden

In Shadow of the Colossus, if you fell and died, it was your falt (at least most of the times) in AC, it often wasn't that's the key difference.
Not that SotC was perfect or anything, though.
-
Bolded is the problem i've been talking about for the last 5 posts. ;)
The game is uselessly complicated because it is more concerned with looking good, than playing good.

And i don't think i ever mentioned "mashing a button" infact, i'm asking for more nuance in the gameplay, not less.
Its complicated because it's an open world game. And as of right now it's an iteration of said an open world game that controls better than the past games in the series, while also looking better than previous entries in the series.

UrbanRats

Its complicated because it's an open world game. And as of right now it's an iteration of said an open world game that controls better than the past games in the series, while also looking better than previous entries in the series.

Mine is not a criticism to Unity specifically, but the series as a whole.

I consider myself a fan of the series, since i played all of the major one but 4 and only really hated 3.

Playing Unity though, even if on paper it has all the right elements going for it (and some of the best mission design to date) i really feel like i'm done with the series, for the simple reason that the controls and the gameplay are just not satisfying for me.
I guess i put up with it before because of the novelty, but now i realize that when i'm playing Unity, i feel 10% fun and 90% frustration (not because i lose or anything like that, by just moving Arno around) and even missions that should be fun, aren't.

That [my previous posts] is how i'd want the series to be, but i can live with the idea of other people enjoying what i don't, for their own reasons. :p

Crossing Eden

Mine is not a criticism to Unity specifically, but the series as a whole.

I consider myself a fan of the series, since i played all of the major one but 4 and only really hated 3.

Playing Unity though, even if on paper it has all the right elements going for it (and some of the best mission design to date) i really feel like i'm done with the series, for the simple reason that the controls and the gameplay are just not satisfying for me.
I guess i put up with it before because of the novelty, but now i realize that when i'm playing Unity, i feel 10% fun and 90% frustration (not because i lose or anything like that, by just moving Arno around) and even missions that should be fun, aren't.

That [my previous posts] is how i'd want the series to be, but i can live with the idea of other people enjoying what i don't, for their own reasons. :p
If only other people on gaf felt the same. >.>

Top Bottom