• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

benzy

Just got this for $30 after kmart sent me $20 shopyourway points. I must say the game is actually pretty fun, and the outfit customization is awesome. Just wish the framerate and loading wasn't so bad on the ps4.

Bebpo

Banned
Man, I just don't know. I really like AC, but 42 hours into this one working on 100%ing like all the others, I'm so burnt out on Unity and ready to just shelve it even though there's nothing wrong with the game.

It's weird because the side missions range from a few bad, a bunch of average, a bunch of good and a dozen or so great ones. The stealth is fun and the city is nice. But just making a dense 1 city AC game with all the modern 60+ hour of side content is draining. I've seen the same areas over and over so many times and done so many missions in some of these dungeon buildings I'm just really burnt.

ACIV, even with its hundreds of single island collectibles didn't give me this feeling. I think it didn't feel as bad with a big world map filled with tons of places to explore. One city with this much is just clostraphobic. ACIV's sailing was nice too, relaxing and pretty auto-pilot.

Think I might just finish the story and leave the 100% the game for another time if I want some AC in my life besides the yearly multiple games ^^; I still haven't had time to play Freedom's Cry, Liberation or Tyranny of George Washington. And then there's Rogue. There's just too much damn AC coming out each year, especially considering these are getting to Skyrim sized playtimes and aren't a yearly 10 hour CoD campaign.

Took 7 games but I think I'm finally burned out on the franchise :/

RedAssedApe

Banned
Think I feel the same as ^

Finished the story with 50% completion. I still have a bunch of paris stories, murder mysteries, chests, cockades, and misc. stuff to do it looks like.

kind of find it a slog though. Was going to do the gold chests during my story play through but initiates was fucking broken this whole time so I could never unlock the previous games costumes. what a joke. also...no thanks for the companion app stuff ubisoft. stop doing that shit.

murder mysteries is kind of like playing LA Noire except the NPC interactions are super boring. In general I feel like I have no investment in any of these characters at all...just name dropping historical characters or something. are there actually any good ones or is it just fetch quest style "visit point A...read text...rinse...repeat'? Is there anything unique about the harder ones?

The co-op missions are a little bit better in at least they have a little cutscene that shows whats going on. And of course co-op is always fun with people.

Think I may just do the co-op missions and just quit while I'm ahead and wait til next years game per usual.

RedAssedApe

Banned
haven't really noticed a difference in performance tbh. thought it was playable before though with some hiccups here and there. then again that probably applies to most of us. would probably have to try and get someone who claimed this game was "unplayable" to give it another shot

haven't really noticed a difference in performance tbh. thought it was playable before though with some hiccups here and there. then again that probably applies to most of us. would probably have to try and get someone who claimed this game was "unplayable" to give it another shot

Agreed

murgo

The game still takes ages to get to the main menu because it always wants to tell me it uses autosaves 4 times in a row. I FUCKING KNOW THAT!

glaurung

Woke up this morning to read that Ubi is scrapping the ACU Season Pass altogether. What? Does this mean they are effectively giving up on the game altogether?

I am mad as hell about this. Now I really want my money back.

Mendax

Woke up this morning to read that Ubi is scrapping the ACU Season Pass altogether. What? Does this mean they are effectively giving up on the game altogether?

I am mad as hell about this. Now I really want my money back.

not at all, it means the dlc will be free. No one is giving up on anything.

Mendax

And what if someone already paid for the Season Pass?

This is a great big FUCK YOU to those people.

i bought the gold edition. Us season pass holders get to choose a free game soon. I'm getting far cry 4 for free now and I'm still getting the AC:U dlc so I don't mind too much.

Kabouter

And what if someone already paid for the Season Pass?

This is a great big FUCK YOU to those people.

You get to pick a free Ubisoft game.
Specifically, one of the following:
The Crew
Far Cry 4
Watch Dogs
Assassin’s Creed Black Flag
Rayman Legends
Just Dance 2015

Personally, I'm fine with getting Far Cry 4 in exchange for the 10 or so euros I spent extra on getting the season pass as well.

glaurung

i bought the gold edition. Us season pass holders get to choose a free game soon. I'm getting far cry 4 for free now and I'm still getting the AC:U dlc so I don't mind too much.
Well, yeah, I'd be real angry if I had to pay out of my own pocket for the Season Pass.

Has Ubi explained how the free game distribution is going to work? I already own FC4 and Watch Dogs on PS4. I would not mind having a FC4 PC copy though.
There is nothing on that list I would want. Getting offered a free copy of The Crew feels like an insult.

But still - about the season pass and it "being scrapped". Does it mean that the rest of the season pass contents are now vaporware? Or will these still be coming down the line?

For a moment there it felt like Ubi has given up on the game, has fired/secretly murdered all developers and will cut its losses for now.

Aces&Eights

Specifically, one of the following:

Personally, I'm fine with getting Far Cry 4 in exchange for the 10 or so euros I spent extra on getting the season pass as well.

Far Cry 4 is fantastic. It's the polar opposite of Unity in graphic and performance departments. I wish to God I had bought the season pass for Unity so I'd be getting it for that cost alone. Still a great purchase, though. It's what I've been playing as I wait for Unity to be fixed. Sounds like patch number 3 didn't address the overall framerate in the streets and that really sucks.

Kabouter

Well, yeah, I'd be real angry if I had to pay out of my own pocket for the Season Pass.

Has Ubi explained how the free game distribution is going to work? I already own FC4 and Watch Dogs on PS4. I would not mind having a FC4 PC copy though.There is nothing on that list I would want. Getting offered a free copy of The Crew feels like an insult.

But still - about the season pass and it "being scrapped". Does it mean that the rest of the season pass contents are now vaporware? Or will these still be coming down the line?

For a moment there it felt like Ubi has given up on the game, has fired/secretly murdered all developers and will cut its losses for now.

No, the season pass content is still coming, and will be available to all for free.

Far Cry 4 is fantastic. It's the polar opposite of Unity in graphic and performance departments. I wish to God I had bought the season pass for Unity so I'd be getting it for that cost alone. Still a great purchase, though. It's what I've been playing as I wait for Unity to be fixed. Sounds like patch number 3 didn't address the overall framerate in the streets and that really sucks.

Let's hope not on my PC, because Unity doesn't dip below 30fps and looks incredible :p.

Mendax

overall framerate is more than fine. 30 almost always with a few drops to 25 maybe. But unless you are really sensitive to that shit i doubt you'd notice. I know i don't.

glaurung

The PS4 version of FC4 is amazing. But there are serious issues with strange, random performance dips on the PC version.

Aces&Eights

overall framerate is more than fine. 30 almost always with a few drops to 25 maybe. But unless you are really sensitive to that shit i doubt you'd notice. I know i don't.

Far Cry or Unity? If the latter then my PS4 is not working properly. I'm not overly sensitive to slight fluctuations but running through the streets is like a slideshow at times. Not all the time but not just once in a while, either. It actually gets me a little ill if I stay on the streets and free run. For me, having to purposely run across roofs to avoid this type of problem is unacceptable for me. AC games are about running all over the place for hours on end and to limit myself to roofs is not going to work. Also, that pop in. It's reeeeally bad, as in, I am 3 feet from an NPC and I can literally watch as all their clothes are assembled on their body. Over and over again.

I'm not jumping on a hate band wagon and quite frankly I love the series and I love collecting crap and I love the settings and story. Hell, I even liked the modern day stuff. But performance wise, there are so many problems that even though the game game still be "played" it looks bad, it runs bad and actually causes me to miss things like turns and jumps due to stuttering. Rather shelf it until that is all fixed, if ever.

The PS4 version of FC4 is amazing. But there are serious issues with strange, random performance dips on the PC version.

That is strange, indeed. Usually, PC guys/gals are citing how great and smooth they run their games. I am console (PS4) and man, it's really solid for me. In fact, I need to jump on and play, lol. It's 12:37AM but I have the next 5 days off of work and I just unlocked the north side of Kyrat.

Mendax

Far Cry or Unity? If the latter then my PS4 is not working properly. I'm not overly sensitive to slight fluctuations but running through the streets is like a slideshow at times. Not all the time but not just once in a while, either. It actually gets me a little ill if I stay on the streets and free run. For me, having to purposely run across roofs to avoid this type of problem is unacceptable for me. AC games are about running all over the place for hours on end and to limit myself to roofs is not going to work. Also, that pop in. It's reeeeally bad, as in, I am 3 feet from an NPC and I can literally watch as all their clothes are assembled on their body. Over and over again.

I'm not jumping on a hate band wagon and quite frankly I love the series and I love collecting crap and I love the settings and story. Hell, I even liked the modern day stuff. But performance wise, there are so many problems that even though the game game still be "played" it looks bad, it runs bad and actually causes me to miss things like turns and jumps due to stuttering. Rather shelf it until that is all fixed, if ever.

Unity. Your story sounds nothing like my experience and I platinumed the game last week. So strange, and I'm sorry to hear that then...

Aces&Eights

Unity. Your story sounds nothing like my experience and I platinumed the game last week. So strange, and I'm sorry to hear that then...

Hey, easy come, easy go. I'm not going to get my panties in a bunch over it. Lots of other things to play and honestly, I learned a very valuable lesson: Don't preorder Ubisoft games. So, it will either get fixed or it won't at this point. I still have GTA V and LBP to pick up and DA:I. By the time I am burnt on those it's Witcher 3, The Order and Bloodborne time.

Lesson learned.

glaurung

The free game that Ubi is giving away for Unity victims is limited to the platform that Unity was originally purchased for.

Says so in their terms and conditions: http://assassinscreed.ubi.com/en-GB....aspx?c=tcm:154-186650-16&ct=tcm:148-76770-32
*FREE GAME TO BE REDEEMED BY NO LATER THAN MARCH 15, 2015. LIMITED TO ONE OFFER PER PERSON. INTERNET CONNECTION AND ACCOUNT (UPLAY, STEAM, XBOX LIVE, AND/OR PLAYSTATION NETWORK) MAYBE REQUIRED TO USE/PLAY DOWNLOAD. OFFER MAY NOT BE SUBSTITUTED, EXCHANGED, SOLD OR REDEEMED FOR CASH OR OTHER GOODS OR SERVICES. MAY NOT BE COMBINED WITH ANY OTHER OFFER, GIFT CARD, REBATE OR DISCOUNT COUPON. PRODUCT SUBJECT TO AVAILABILITY. SPECIFIC LIST OF GAMES AVAILABLE FOR FREE MAY VARY PER COUNTRY AND PLATFORM. FREE GAME LIMITED TO PLATFORM ON WHICH ASSASSIN’S CREED UNITY WAS INITIALLY PURCHASED. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED, TAXED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW. YOU MUST MEET THE MINIMUM AGE REQUIREMENTS, WHICH VARY BY COUNTRY, TO REGISTER FOR AN ACCOUNT. IN ADDITION, UBISOFT’S TERMS OF USE AS POSTED ON UBI.COM APPLY.
There goes my hope of getting a free FC4 PC copy.

Kabouter

Maybe doable in AC3/4/R, but less fluid, definitely not doable during the Ezio trilogy. Especially since there was upward ledge that I went underneath instead. Ezio wouldn't figure out what I wanted to do.

Post patch here. I can agree that there have been improvements to the parkour, but getting into windows still takes some getting used to when it really shouldn't. Part of it is they tell you to just press L2, but that tip is straight up incorrect, even after the patch. Or maybe it's correct, but works about 25% of the time. The most reliable way to enter windows is to be within less than one Arno width and turn the stick in the direction of the window with no buttons pressed.

Those decks where you have to drop down but swing INTO - those will change you fundamentally as a person, if you're just trying to jam around the map and grab chests. They'll make you think about why you even go after the random nonsense in these games. Especially when someone's shooting at you.

Also "Hey check out your database" still shows up on top of the clue text during investigations.

I dunno I hate to be a noodge but it feels like those 2.79 gigs must've fixed a bunch of co-op stuff. Framerate feels the same. They should unlock those dumb chests.

ekim

At least on Xbox, the game now is finally playable. Frame Rate still not perfect but the drops now do not break the experience.

Now it's Assassin's Creed!

Really? The patchnotes just stated, that they increased performance on PS4 but I'm glad to hear this. I'm downloading Unity on my X1.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
At least on Xbox, the game now is finally playable. Frame Rate still not perfect but the drops now do not break the experience.

Now it's Assassin's Creed!

I tried the patch yesterday evening, and did not notice any difference in framerate on X1. I'm sure they fixed the fringe cases with all the transparency (sainte chappelle/palais de justice), but I don't think they changed anything when it comes to the rest of the game's framerate.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I actually thought it looked very good haha. And that the framerate was very smooth. But of course that is just the case with this video with that particular part feeling smooth.
That's how smooth it usually is for me. Unless there is a ridiculously huge crowd.

EDIT:Not getting the "You have unspent sync points notification" constantly is such a godsend.

Klocker

Xbox patch seemed to make things run smoother for me. Didn't have too many issues other than hitching and occasional stuttering but now it's smooth sailing so far

And damn the lighting is so gorgeous in this game

Corgi

Banned
Don't get why anyone would buy season pass for ubisoft games. Has never been worth it. Most dlc has been terrible. Freedom cry was the only exception.

Crossing Eden

Don't get why anyone would buy season pass for ubisoft games. Has never been worth it. Most dlc has been terrible. Freedom cry was the only exception.
I would've if I had known that I could get Far Cry 4 with it. >.>

Crossing Eden

lol true for that!

still need to beat far cry 3 though. kind of got bored after unlocking everything. outposts are way more fun than the shitty missions.
Just went through the story for Vaas. Kinda enjoyed Jason's partially drug induced slow descent into sociopathic madness though. At the time it had been a while since I played a shooter where the character actually enjoyed the act of murdering countless dudes.

Hey guys, I have not follow the aftermath of the AC:U release and just watch some videos and read some title threads. I do understand GAF and a vast majority of people tend to blow things way out of proportion. Anyways I would like to ask whomever, how does AC:U run and play on the Xbox One? Is it as bad as people making it out to be? Or its honesty just some random issues here and there that doesnt break the gameplay. I just got the Xbox One and AC:U bundle and wasnt sure if I should sell the game or give it a try.

UrbanRats

Nailed it? Is that supposed to be hard to pull off?

It isn't.
Just press RT + A for the first jump on the rope and RT + B for going down from there.
It looks fancy *when it works out as intended*.
Which is less often than it should.

It is better than what we had before though.

Crossing Eden

Hey guys, I have not follow the aftermath of the AC:U release and just watch some videos and read some title threads. I do understand GAF and a vast majority of people tend to blow things way out of proportion. Anyways I would like to ask whomever, how does AC:U run and play on the Xbox One? Is it as bad as people making it out to be? Or its honesty just some random issues here and there that doesnt break the gameplay. I just got the Xbox One and AC:U bundle and wasnt sure if I should sell the game or give it a try.
Besides cutscene stutter it actually runs better during gameplay than the ps4 version. At least according to DF.

red731

Sorry if this was already posted, but check this ish out. Juxtaposed photos of ACU in real world Paris.

http://petapixel.com/2014/11/25/printed-video-game-screenshots-creatively-juxtapose-1790s-modern-day-paris/

creedparis1.jpg

So, this may have been mentioned but does anyone else have their PS4 fan go incredibly loud when browsing the start menu in this game?

Christ, the minute I pause to upgrade Arno it goes insanely loud and fast.

Top Bottom