• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins's Creed PS4 is now 1080p with AA.

Muffdraul

Did you buy and play the game when it came lot on other systems?

I didn't, but the reason for that was that AC3 completely killed any interest I had in the francise, and I had no intention to play AC4, ever. Almost completely ignored it from the day it was announced until yesterday. My launch title was Killzone, and I didn't expect that I want another game so soon, but after playing through its campaign twice over the weekend, I was ready. Decided to check on what the AC fanbase had to say about AC4 and was pleasantly surprised at how many people were saying AC4 was much much better than AC3, "best since AC2" and such. So I grabbed a copy yesterday and started playing last night. It has nothing to do with patience. It has to do with there being no valid reason for me to wait.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
It's a 1080p patch folks, the differences are immediately noticable on my 70" TV.
Let's do a blind test to see if you can see it:

whoa..... really? How did you grab those screens?

wow.

I'll pay attention to this game now that it's actually finished.

For someone who didn't like AC1, barely touched AC2, and ignored the rest of the franchise, how would this hold up for a series newcomer?

I briefly played AC2. That's it. So far I'm loving everything except for the "assassin's creed" parts (i.e. the modern day stuff). All of the pirate/buccaneer stuff is absolutely sublime. So far the modern stuff is REALLY limited. (thankfully!!!)

coldfoot

Banned
whoa..... really? How did you grab those screens?
Share button + crappy Twitter upload which compresses the images :(

Is the top pic the 1080p version? Hard to tell on my crappy laptop
Yes.
Here's a side by side version of the mast and ropes to drive the point home. Thin geometry is a major advantage of higher resolution:

1qJmlhx.png

For someone who didn't like AC1, barely touched AC2, and ignored the rest of the franchise, how would this hold up for a series newcomer?

I mean, if you didn't like the franchise before, it's doubtful you'll like it now. The core gameplay and storyline delivery methods are the same as they've always been. Just a new location, new story, and prettier scenery. Oh and pirates.

YMMV, but I wouldn't buy it if you're already cold on the series. I did the same buying into the Elder Scrolls games after finding no enjoyment in Morrowind and guess what? Never played the sequels more than an hour despite buying both of them.

nib95

Banned
Glad the game is finally going to be 1080p, it's one of the games I'm buying with the console. What does % bars mean by the way?

I didn't, but the reason for that was that AC3 completely killed any interest I had in the francise, and I had no intention to play AC4, ever. Almost completely ignored it from the day it was announced until yesterday. My launch title was Killzone, and I didn't expect that I want another game so soon, but after playing through its campaign twice over the weekend, I was ready. Decided to check on what the AC fanbase had to say about AC4 and was pleasantly surprised at how many people were saying AC4 was much much better than AC3, "best since AC2" and such. So I grabbed a copy yesterday and started playing last night. It has nothing to do with patience. It has to do with there being no valid reason for me to wait.

you're making fun of us for waiting ONE DAY longer than you? seriously?

FuturusX

I'm pretty surprised that there's such a noticeable difference between 900p and 1080p. Add to that they shots that were posted had the Facebook compression.

It's the scaling. There's no super scaling magic even with the most expensive sophisticated hardware. Without it. A whole 'clearer' world opens up.

An extreme example, but take your fixed pixel LCD display on your laptop and use any resolution but your native resolution and see the mess before your eyes. TVs and other devices have better scalers but they're all in the same messy soup. Nothing beats 1:1 mapping on a fixed pixel display. Period.

(Note: There are some very good hardware scalers out there - before the scaler fanboys run amok on this thread - and they work very well depending on the source - but it can't be a native high resolution match)

owlbeak

Glad the game is finally going to be 1080p, it's one of the games I'm buying with the console. What does % bars mean by the way?
No idea. At least they added the "%" at first it sounded like the patch added black bars. Not sure why they're messing with the thread title. How about an actually useful thread title update like "1080p patch released"? That is something that makes sense to people who were watching this thread.

j-wood

Share button + crappy Twitter upload which compresses the images :(

Yes.
Here's a side by side version of the mast and ropes to drive the point home. Thin geometry is a major advantage of higher resolution:

1qJmlhx.png

Yeah, the post on the right looks quite a bit better

I mean, if you didn't like the franchise before, it's doubtful you'll like it now. The core gameplay and storyline delivery methods are the same as they've always been. Just a new location, new story, and prettier scenery. Oh and pirates.

YMMV, but I wouldn't buy it if you're already cold on the series. I did the same buying into the Elder Scrolls games after finding no enjoyment in Morrowind and guess what? Never played the sequels more than an hour despite buying both of them.

I didn't write off the franchise but I didn't enjoy AC1. What I played of AC2 was much better, just never got around to playing more of it. By the time AC3 was coming out I couldn't be bothered catching up with the series, especially after the reception to that game.

Basically if it's relatively friendly to newcomers, I'm willing to give it a good shot. I know I'm gonna be wanting more PS4 games at some point between now and Infamous so I'm thinking I'll keep an eye out for a $30-40 sale on this.

Thanks though.

I was CONVINCED this gen would be defined by platform parity from the start. No way would any publishers want to piss off Microsoft. And why devote any extra dev time?

And who blows away my fears? Fucking Ubisoft, of all people.
I admire devs taking pride in their work, and will vote for such actions to continue, with my wallet.

I was convinced it wouldn't be. I think credit should go to the people who led on this though, like DICE and Infinity Ward. That's got to have made it easier for everyone else coming down the line given how much MS has pushed and is associated with COD and BF4. AC has always been more of a PlayStation associated title. It's surprising that there was a degree of parity even for just a few days.

Oppo

For someone who didn't like AC1, barely touched AC2, and ignored the rest of the franchise, how would this hold up for a series newcomer? Has it dropped a lot of story baggage from the previous games?

No baggage dropped and it barely tells you WTF is going on. I just read a synopsis of AC3 on wiki just to figure out what the fuck was happening up to this game (I never played 3, but played 2, and the second 2, but not the third ...2. Fucking Ubisoft)

ieatzombies

So, seems to be an issue can't log into my Uplay account. "It's saying the Ubisoft server isn't available at this time. Please try again later."

calder

Can't wait to get home, I thought it looked pretty good already - not great, but having been playing AC3 again a month ago and having it fresh in my mind I thought it looked pretty good - and ran smooth. Based on comments it sounds like the framerate is still good so fingers crossed.

For me playing all the other AC games on PS3 I was so used to horrible screen tearing and chugging 20-ish FPS that being able to sync a view point in AC4 and not notice the game shitting itself was almost enough. So a better resolution will just be gravy. ;)

Seems like a fairly reasonable solution to the evident demands of getting a game out for day one launch on new systems.

Good on Ubisoft I guess, there are developers out there who wouldnt bother with something like this post release.

1080p AND new aliasing tech? Christmas cannot come soon enough. I really want to play this now. But, its the one game I am asking for at Holiday Time.

Pie Lord

Definitely looks sharper than it did pre-patch. I can't say I'm seeing as big of a difference as some people seem to be though. I'll have to pop in the game later tonight to see for myself.

dcx4610

Huge difference even going from 900p. This just further proves that 1080p matters.

Any changes to the frame rate after the patch or is it still holding steady at 30?

Mononoke

Banned
This especially makes a difference when you have a really big TV. Seriously, imagine the blurry 900p on a 55 inch TV, vs the 1080p w/ the new AA.

Rootbeer

Banned
On a related note, PSN is slowly coming back to life more and more. I notice when I go to the ACIV Overview a lot more stuff is showing up again (like trophies), they weren't there yesterday for me

sunnz

One thing I REALLY disliked about AC3 was the unstable and low FPS, what is the FPS like on the ps4 for AC IV?

That literally will determine whether I buy it or not.

Binabik15

In other words, my copy from Amazon.de shipped today. Next gen is getting clooose.

I wanted to finally play AC2, but I only have 1 and BroHood on my Steam account. Weird, I should have 2, but maybe I have a physical copy and not added it on Steam.

Krakn3Dfx

Picked up a PC key on the cheap for this game, otherwise I would be snagging the PS4 version right now.

Downloading my PC copy off of UPlay right now tho, so I know what I'll be doing tonight. :)

ultra7k

So my brother upgraded the game on our ps4 from the ps3 version for $10.

Today I went to play it for the first time, and it is saying that the game is locked, and my PSN id/account doesn't have the rights to run it, even though we are on the same system?

He can play my copies Resogun/Contrast fine, as they are under my PS+ account, but I can't seem to play AC4 for the life of me.

Anyone know what's going on??

It seems really weird that'd they would limit it to one user...

One thing I REALLY disliked about AC3 was the unstable and low FPS, what is the FPS like on the ps4 for AC IV?

That literally will determine whether I buy it or not.

I've not noticed any drops below 30fps. But I've only played the game for 2% worth. A couple of hours of time, I think.

nib95

Banned
It's a 1080p patch folks, the differences are immediately noticable on my 70" TV.
Let's do a blind test to see if you can see it:

Yeap, the extra macro detail from 1080p is immediately noticeable, at least looking at them on my laptop screen. I'm sure it'll be just as obvious on my 50" plasma, given my viewing distance isn't especially long.

Hope you don't like 60 fps too much. ;)

Since my current PC couldn't handle AC1 at a locked 60, I haven't gone back to the series until now. Until I put together my new build late next year (planning and saving for these things takes time damn it!) I am very happy to be able to enjoy games like NFS: Rivals and AC4 on PS4 without making any major concessions over what I'm used to from PC land.

This has all worked out quite wonderfully for me, really.

Top Bottom